Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,746 members, 7,820,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? (14569 Views)

Candace Owen: I Learned That Feminism Is A Scam, It Tears Women / Feminism Is An Abbreviation Of Female Stupidity - Nigerian Lady / Chimamanda Adichie: A Crude Brand Of Feminism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Yonce(f): 8:33pm On Aug 23, 2017
talk2hb1:

Okay then, when do ladies start paying Groom Price, footing Wedding bill, Advocate for Paternity leave for men, propose to men for marriage. I cant wait to see this happen grin

There's absolutely nothing wrong with all these. It's all part of the independent lifestyle I'm talking about. Women are already doing everything you listed above.

If the man is worth it and the love and understanding is mutual, there's nothing wrong with doing any of those.
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by XKZ(m): 8:34pm On Aug 23, 2017
Shafiiimran99:
There is not nothin like feminism, take it or not. Those who are callin for feminism are ungrateful because of their greediness. They will neva fight to go to war, to do vigilante etc. If they wanted security they would not ask for women like them to be their security and their drivers are men. If they really believe that women are equal to men, all the first ladies should have women as their security or whenever there is fire outbreak only women firefighters should be release to do the job so we can know the truth.

Gaddafi had all-female bodyguards
Women are drafted into the Israeli army
There are female fire fighters in most western countries

3 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Obalende: 8:34pm On Aug 23, 2017
YelloweWest:

Can u cook wash plate wash cloths clean house etc. Day after day without ur ego getting in the way??

Yes I can. Feminism is good because men's egos needs to be bruised and destroyed - this is the biggest problem of society... i.e. the male ego.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 23, 2017
The world worries too much. If the female gender wants more proactive roles than being in a kitchen, or nursing a child, or being a slave in the bedroom, then it's not worth being tagged...we worry much

2 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by talk2hb1(m): 8:35pm On Aug 23, 2017
XKZ:

Bride price comes from the groom's side
Dowry comes from the bride's side
The society you live in determines which is required. And even in countries like India where a dowry is expected from the bride there is still gender inequality directed at women.
Point is, it is not about the money.

Paternity leave – Men don't get pregnant

Proposal – Society frowns on women proposing and that's why they probably don't do it (it's part of the inequality that needs to be tackled). But even then some women have done that.
Equal Right
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by dmaverick6: 8:37pm On Aug 23, 2017
1st I'd like to say that feminism is an idea inspired by dissatisfaction. Dissatisfaction from what?
From under performance actually..
And I don't know if men are the reasons for gender under performance. Being relevant? Yes! At least it's a wake up call from the self induced slumber.

All the same equality should not be misdemanded for fairness.
Equality is an unattainable illusion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 23, 2017
dmaverick6:
1st I'd like to say that feminism is an idea inspired by dissatisfaction. Dissatisfaction from what?
From under performance actually..
And I don't know if men are the reasons for gender under performance. Being relevant? Yes! At least it's a wake up call from the self induced slumber.

All the same equality should not be misdemanded for fairness.
Equality is an unattainable illusion.

Equity...It's best to let females describe feminism so we don't get shot in the foot
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Gerrard59(m): 8:40pm On Aug 23, 2017
pocohantas:

How come no one claims superiority in cleaning, washing, cooking, going to market, being servile to inlaws.

Like, 'I am the man...I am superior, I will do all house chores 5days in a week, rest...you're the weaker vessel' grin grin grin

I'm all for feminism, but not at the detriment of meritocracy. If a particular gender in the household opts for cooking (and is good at it), going to the market et al. Good for them (as long as it works).

We've men who cook (the vast majority of chefs are men) and do other things (I go to the market, being doing that since I was young), washing is not gender specific. Every individual should know how to wash at least his/her clothes.

3 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Yonce(f): 8:41pm On Aug 23, 2017
Shafiiimran99:
There is not nothin like feminism, take it or not. Those who are callin for feminism are ungrateful because of their greediness. They will neva fight to go to war, to do vigilante etc. If they wanted security they would not ask for women like them to be their security and their drivers are men. If they really believe that women are equal to men, all the first ladies should have women as their security or whenever there is fire outbreak only women firefighters should be release to do the job so we can know the truth.

Your entire post reeks of immaturity, I'm sorry to say. This isn't a woman vs man situation but you're making it so.

We should be encouraging our women to show interest in jobs like this and even supporting them. . . .not trying to be sarcastic at their expense. If my daughter shows interest in joining the army tomorrow, it's left for me to encourage her to be the best in her field and not dumb her down to a role acceptable to society.

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 23, 2017
Jesus, the impending marriage issues are coming...this thread is a real reflection of the society...May God help us
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Obalende: 8:45pm On Aug 23, 2017
Gerrard59:

I'm all for feminism, but not at the detriment of meritocracy. If a particular gender in the household opts for cooking (and is good at it), going to the market et al. Good for them (as long as it works).

We've men who cook (the vast majority of chefs are men) and do other things (I go to the market, being doing that since I was young), washing is not gender specific. Every individual should know how to wash at least his/her clothes.

In North America, 95% of cooks by eye balls estimation are men...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 8:45pm On Aug 23, 2017
XKZ:

Gbam!
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Odunharry(m): 8:46pm On Aug 23, 2017
True talk pocahontas.. It somehow bruise their ego but truth is only few ladies will go Dutch.
Left to me, i won't be comfortable if a lady is the one paying my bills.
The truth is, I don't usually collect stuffs from ladies back then. I have made adjustment though.

It's not bad if a lady decide to foot the bill once a while though.

3 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by talk2hb1(m): 8:46pm On Aug 23, 2017
Yonce:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with all these. It's all part of the independent lifestyle I'm talking about. Women are already doing everything you listed above.

If the man is worth it and the love and understanding is mutual, there's nothing wrong with doing any of those.
Abeg lets marry if you are still single, and come and pay Groom Price. My List is ready 5years ago, just waiting for Missy Right to come along undecided
Mind you, you will do the proposing Ooo!!!

3 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Futureberry: 8:47pm On Aug 23, 2017
ggoldmine:
To every action, they say, there's a reaction.

In time past, women have suffered oppressive treatment coz of the belief that women are weak physically (when in fact, they're stronger mentally and other allies) and should be limited to do certain things even when they can do most of those things.

We're humans and it gets to a point where we're overwhelmed with things we're not comfortable with, then decide enough is enough.

So, if women standing up to their right of equal treatment make them feminist, then I'd be a part of it.
my question is,what where women doing that made them to be perceived as weak beings, because then and now it still d same breed of women that exist, their power comes from the bandwagon effect,starve them of attention and see their strength die away,same cannot happen to the male folks. Eg Saudi Arabia northern Nigeria etc

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 8:47pm On Aug 23, 2017
Yonce:

Your entire post reeks of immaturity, I'm sorry to say. This isn't a woman vs man situation but you're making it so.

We should be encouraging our women to show interest in jobs like this and even supporting them. . . .not trying to be sarcastic at their expense. If my daughter shows interest in joining the army tomorrow, it's left for me to encourage her to be the best in her field and not dumb her down to a role acceptable to society.
Gbam!
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Obalende: 8:48pm On Aug 23, 2017
People who have lived in post-feminist societies (Sweden, Australia, US, Canada) reportedly say not good for men and women so know what you are getting into guys and girls... sky rocket single motherhood numbers, no fault any time at will divorce because the girl is "unhappy", guys don't talk to girls again for fear of harassment claims, gender parity over talent on the job market, complete destruction of marriage, gender fluidity/ gender expression etc, girls can wear whatever they want (Im not saying they cant oh I think its a good thing) and dress like prostitutes, sleeping around on the increase, dysfunctional children. So guys be careful wat u ask for.....

2 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 8:48pm On Aug 23, 2017
supersystemsng:
Jesus, the impending marriage issues are coming...this thread is a real reflection of the society...May God help us
Hmmmm..you see it too.
Have you wondered why divorce is rampant nowadays?
I'll even make a thread on that soon

3 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by pocohantas(f): 8:49pm On Aug 23, 2017
Gerrard59:

Then you should know equality covers this kind of men too, they should be allowed to go what they wanna do without being considered lesser men. A famous NLder said men who wash dishes in their homes are sisies...can you imagine that?

Gerrard59:

Gbam!

Not creating spaces here and there. If one is good for the job, do it excellently and be rewarded.

Yea, I think that's where most women get it wrong. They just wanna be 'favoured'.

OrdercityWeb:

Jeez!
You're good. You're sound!
You know what you're doing.
Is there anyone else left to counter this lady? cheesy grin

Don't worry,when you see me talking nonsense...just know I am in my trolling mode. I have my sane, non-bias days grin grin
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 23, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Hmmmm..you see it too.
Have you wondered why divorce is rampant nowadays?
I'll even make a thread on that soon

We spoke on divorce,relating to financial issues. By the way i belong to a fellowship, young guys and ladies meet pray to God, intercede for the generation etc...i'm informed that we should expect 7 out of ten marriages in our generation to crash. This is from a verifiable source...7 out of ten marriages will crash...create your thread..will like to see how different people see it..

I believe marriage is no longer one thing personally, love..I believe marriage is Love and Compromise...this is what will keep a marriage to me personally.

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 8:54pm On Aug 23, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

You are sounding confrontational. When you do that, you end up not passing your message across.
Take a cue from pocohantas.
Now, from all you've said now if men were really against women do you think linda ikeji will get to where she is today?
Is Linda Ikeji the only successful woman?
@the bolded where did you get that from? Did you carry out any research?
You sound like you're talking from experience.
One last question, how do you practice feminism personally in your life, what are the things you do that shows you're a feminist?
Cc:pocohantas you know this sis right?
YelloweWest??
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by NigerianScholar: 8:57pm On Aug 23, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
Feminism as defined by Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminism)

"Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social rights for women.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish educational and professional opportunities for women that are equal to such opportunities for men.

Feminist movements have campaigned and continue to campaign for women's rights, including the right to vote, to hold public office, to work, to earn fair wages or equal pay, to own property, to receive education, to enter contracts, to have equal rights within marriage, and to have maternity leave. Feminists have also worked to promote bodily autonomy and integrity, and to protect women and girls from rape, sexual harassment, and domestic violence.[3] Changes in dress and acceptable physical activity have often been part of feminist movements."

Now lets start with the question of "is the woman gender disadvantaged today?"
In our society today especially in Nigeria much preference is given to women today, even in our relationships its the girlfriend that enjoys the fringe benefits. In the wake of any disaster women and children are given preference, yet men have never complained and said this is "inequality".
Considering the definition as obtained from Wikipedia, lets critically look at this:
"to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social rights for women"
In Nigeria today Women have social, political, economic, personal, and social rights. Women contest for political positions in Nigeria today, Women are head of coporations in Nigeria today.

"right to vote, to hold public office, to work, to earn fair wages or equal pay, to own property, to receive education, to enter contracts, to have equal rights within marriage, and to have maternity leave"
As earlier stated Women have the right to vote, and earn equal wages with their male counterparts, they own properties and have access to education. Is it realistic to have equal rights in marriage? Can there be 2 leaders at the same time?

"bodily autonomy and integrity, and to protect women and girls from rape, sexual harassment, and domestic violence"
Men also suffer rape and domestic violence so why is there a special movement for women on that. Only on the exceptions of religous sections of the country that restrict women's bodily autonomy. At that is an issue with religion not men. right?
Thanks for reading to this point. I have not made any conclusions but i have only drawn realistic applications of feminism in Nigeria today.

I will like to know what you think. Is feminism relevant in Nigeria today? FACTS ONLY INTELLIGENT COMMENTS
With all the bouquet of intertwined problems with nigeria. Is this what we should be worried about

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 8:58pm On Aug 23, 2017
NigerianScholar:

With all the bouquet of intertwined problems with nigeria. Is this what we should be worried about
Yes undecided
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Futureberry: 8:59pm On Aug 23, 2017
YelloweWest:

Love ur humor always.

Just Watch as little broke dick heads will hijack this thread.
As if it's women that made them broke.
To me a true feminist is a woman who works hard enough to buy herself a trophy husband/ boy toy.
Our boys are now professional gigolos. They are ready to lick a woman's anus of she can pay.
Nigerian men are more of gold diggers than women!
The only thing is most of our rich women respect themselves unlike rich men in Nigeria who can sleep with almost anything under skirt.
please try as much as possible to not generalize a particular gender when passing down your points

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Aug 23, 2017
Futureberry:
please try as much as possible to not generalize a particular gender when passing down your points

abi
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Shafiiimran99: 9:02pm On Aug 23, 2017
XKZ:

I know they they have but the question is, are they active like men or can they control situation alone?
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by handsomebanana(m): 9:03pm On Aug 23, 2017
XKZ post=59761870[b:
I think we should elevate gender equality beyond what goes on in the family. If two people have chosen a way to run their marriage and it works for them, I don't see why it should be anyone else's business.
[\b]

The questions I think we should be asking is how many women hold political appointments, what's the probability of voters choosing female aspirants, how many top Nigerian companies have female CEOs, what's the male to female ratio on company boards, are inheritance customs fair to women, can women aspire to religious, customary and spiritual leadership, are there double standards in the way society treats women versus men, do men and women generally have equal standing before society etc...

I jst tire

U'll b surprised 2 c dat dat is dia only Rgument @bolded
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 9:03pm On Aug 23, 2017
supersystemsng:

We spoke on divorce,relating to financial issues. By the way i belong to a fellowship, young guys and ladies meet pray to God, intercede for the generation etc...i'm informed that we should expect 7 out of ten marriages in our generation to crash. This is from a verifiable source...7 out of ten marriages will crash...create your thread..will like to see how different people see it..

I believe marriage is no longer one thing personally, love..I believe marriage is Love and Compromise...this is what will keep a marriage to me personally.
I totally agree with the bolded.

I was telling someone the other day the same thing. That this generation will have serious marriage issues.
You don't even need to be 'spiritual' to know. Its visible to the blind.
All these ego young men and ladies carry about cannot survive the institution of marriage.
Bro i believe in prayer and all. But forget it, folks in this generation will have marriage issues. Its a certainty.
The divorce rates speak for themselves. It's only those who have values, depth and principles that'd stand.
I relate with older women alot, infact i prefer older women. If you hear what i hear. You'll weep for this generation.
Marriage is not beans.

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 9:05pm On Aug 23, 2017
pocohantas:

Don't worry,when you see me talking nonsense...just know I am in my trolling mode. I have my sane, non-bias days grin grin
Lol......same here too.
I can be very 'good' on the 'job' too grin
Great! Keep it up.
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Futureberry: 9:06pm On Aug 23, 2017
Yonce:

Exactly. That should be our main focus when it comes to feminism.

The average African man is very misogynistic. . . . .the question today should be how do we change their 12th century views and how do we get our future/current mothers to push independence in their daughters just as much as they do with their sons. Make their daughters hungry for success in all fields and learn how not to take the backseat. undecided

That is the cause we should be championing.
a learned person understand that it wrong to generalize

2 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Aug 23, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

I totally agree with the bolded.

I was telling someone the other day the same thing. That this generation will have serious marriage issues.
You don't even need to be 'spiritual' to know. Its visible to the blind.
All these ego young men and ladies carry about cannot survive the institution of marriage.
Bro i believe in prayer and all. But forget it, folks in this generation will have marriage issues. Its a certainty.
The divorce rates speak for themselves. It's only those who have values, depth and principles that'd stand.
I relate with older women alot, infact i prefer older women. If you hear what i hear. You'll weep for this generation.
Marriage is not beans.

I relate with older ladies...Bro, my female friends are older ladies...they're cool

Back to the discuss, most of our personalities thesedays are the aftermath of what we pick from the media, or society and are not values that have been tried and tested. Sadly, it produces ego, ego produces character, character pride, pride illusion, illusion false beliefs, false beliefs false indoctrination, false indoctrination, false existence, the end point is pain, sorrow,tears...We have issues coming...And if the upcoming generation doesn't prepare for the barrage, it would cause massive after-effect...It's glaring...it's coming...let's wach and see
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Futureberry: 9:08pm On Aug 23, 2017
Obalende:
I am for feminism because the girl would work and make her own money and take care of herself with it.... I too will work make mine and take care of myself with it.... if I want to hv children I could think of adoption or hv a baby with her but before the baby we would go to court to swear joint custody agreement/ affidavit in case of any eventuality.
corporate world,corporate family,corporate love,corporate babies,corporate life,welcome to the 21 century

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Family Members Celebrate As Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years / My Uncle's Wife Younger Sister Is Acting Funny With Me! / How Often Do Your Wear Your Wedding Ring?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.