Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,742 members, 7,820,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? (14568 Views)

Candace Owen: I Learned That Feminism Is A Scam, It Tears Women / Feminism Is An Abbreviation Of Female Stupidity - Nigerian Lady / Chimamanda Adichie: A Crude Brand Of Feminism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Obalende: 9:11pm On Aug 23, 2017
YelloweWest:

You see. This is the hypocrisy from u guys I don't understand.
What exactly to you mean by 50/50?
Just 50/50 in terms of financial obligations?
Dose the woman have as much time as the man to work?
Who will raise the kids??
Will the man agree to do 50% of house chores?

Take me for example. I'm a lawyer but can't work for now cos I'm pregnant. I'll be out of a job for awhile while I nurse my kid.
I have 5 other young children.
My husband is the sole breadwinner every dimr that he makes belongs to our family. HE HAS NEVER COMPLAINED!
though we are quite comfortable money is not an issue cos he is quite successful, I can't imagine my husband asking me to contribute financial.
He brings home the bacon and I cook it! Everyone is happy!
I have businesses that I run which bring me a steady income but my husband does not care about my money! He always calls it groundnut money and that I and the children are his responsibility.
Why is it that men are no longer like this??
This is how my dad was with my mum.
I consider myself very lucky having a husband like my dad. Unlike men who no longer take pride in taking care of their family. Shame!

Feminists demanded independence!!! If a woman wants patriarchal values like you do then I can be like ur husband.

Women in North America said they wanted independence and that they were being oppressed in marriage by a male dominated world.

If I met a woman like u then il drop my equalist ways feminists are demanding...

3 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 9:12pm On Aug 23, 2017
supersystemsng:

I relate with older ladies...Bro, my female friends are older ladies...they're cool

Back to the discuss[b], most of our personalities thesedays are the aftermath of what we pick from the media, or society and are not values that have been tried and tested[/b]. Sadly, it produces ego, ego produces character, character pride, pride illusion, illusion false beliefs, false beliefs false indoctrination, false indoctrination, false existence, the end point is pain, sorrow,tears...We have issues coming...And if the upcoming generation doesn't prepare for the barrage, it would cause massive after-effect...It's glaring...it's coming...let's wach and see
The bolded right here. Are words on marble!!
So damn true.
Let's watch and see
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Futureberry: 9:12pm On Aug 23, 2017
pocohantas:

I don't do hate tags! Especially when it is misunderstood by people. I believe in fairness and mutual respect.

It's only on NL they call me 'feminist'...their definition of feminist, just because my views don't always agree with theirs. I hate subjugation of humans, I guess that makes me a feminist in the eyes of NL males grin grin
learn not to generalize
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Futureberry: 9:16pm On Aug 23, 2017
XKZ:

The fact that people ask for fairness (whether based on gender, or race) doesn't mean they're pushing mediocrity.

People have biases and where there isn't an active means of maintaining balance people in power tend to favour those who look like them. A man inherently believes a man will do a better job when presented with two candidates (male and female) with exactly the same characteristics.

With respect to your opinion on women in coding kindly read the article below.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2014/10/06/345799830/the-forgotten-female-programmers-who-created-modern-tech

https://iq.intel.com/how-female-eniac-programmers-pioneered-the-software-industry/

same basics happen to women too, try as much as possible to cover both genders, don't focus on one,people, me in particular will perceived you as a self centered advocate
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by XKZ(m): 9:21pm On Aug 23, 2017
Gerrard59:

I can understand the biases (same applies to female executives). However, affirmative action does not solve it. As businesses, the aim is to make profit. If a recruiter believes employing a (fe)male will do the job and brings forth profits, so be it.

No doubt, females pioneered the industry. However, we have less females opting for Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics degrees, which are the disciplines these firms recruit their technical hands from. Instead of stipulating laws and creating spaces, young lasses should be encouraged to study such courses/disciplines and invariably, firms will have a wider pool to pick/choose from.

How come no one demands gender parity in welding, truck-driving, construction jobs?

When it was seen as a easy job (compared to hardware) suitable for women, it had lots of women because they were encouraged to do it.
When it became lucrative they were discouraged.

As you pointed out women need to be encouraged to go into the field and it is creating spaces and opportunities for them in those fields that would encourage them join the fields.

You've raised a good question about welding and construction jobs... Maybe the fact no one is pushing gender parity in those industries indicates that where they make requests, such requests are actually objective and merit based
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by WeirdWolf: 9:25pm On Aug 23, 2017
To me it is irrelevant.

These group are dangerous to poorly educated women. They do not promote tolerance rather they promote independence in women thereby letting them know they can cope even better n shouldn't take shit from men. Rather than teaching tolerance, obedience, love, understanding...

It's only good in settling violence related cases.

My humble opinion.
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Futureberry: 9:25pm On Aug 23, 2017
Obalende:
People who have lived in post-feminist societies (Sweden, Australia, US, Canada) reportedly say not good for men and women so know what you are getting into guys and girls... sky rocket single motherhood numbers, no fault any time at will divorce because the girl is "unhappy", guys don't talk to girls again for fear of harassment claims, gender parity over talent on the job market, complete destruction of marriage, gender fluidity/ gender expression etc, girls can wear whatever they want (Im not saying they cant oh I think its a good thing) and dress like prostitutes, sleeping around on the increase, dysfunctional children. So guys be careful wat u ask for.....
someone being a prostitute is relative
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by XKZ(m): 9:27pm On Aug 23, 2017
Futureberry:
same basics happen to women too, try as much as possible to cover both genders, don't focus on one,people, me in particular will perceived you as a self centered advocate

The difference is that decision making positions are already heavily dominated by men. So male bias has a bigger effect than female bias.
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Yonce(f): 9:30pm On Aug 23, 2017
talk2hb1:

Abeg lets marry if you are still single, and come and pay Groom Price. My List is ready 5years ago, just waiting for Missy Right to come along undecided
Mind you, you will do the proposing Ooo!!!

Sure, the real question is, are you man enough?

As I said, all this is strictly based on if the man is worthy.
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Futureberry: 9:31pm On Aug 23, 2017
XKZ:

The difference is that decision making positions are already heavily dominated by men. So male bias has a bigger effect than female bias.
don't try and sugar coat it,this is the problem with modern day feminist, saying there is no fault in the actions of a female boss,while the male boss should be condemned is sexist... Stop promoting double standards

2 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by PDPGuy: 9:33pm On Aug 23, 2017
Feminism can never really take root in Nigeria until the bride-price tradition is abolished.

There is no way a man would pay bride-price for his wife, and expect to only be a co-equal partner in the marriage even if she works a full time job.

So, a Nigerian man will always lay claim to being the natural head of house if he is married to a Naija woman.

That's why most Nigerian men who are married to European/American women fully accept the notion that they are co-equal partners in the marriage because there was no bride-price involved, and the women equally foot half the bills for running the home. It's also highly likely that the woman paid for the dates on some occasions, unlike in Nigeria where the man is expected to foot 99.9% of the bills on dates.

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 23, 2017
Nigeria of all places. That's a big NO.
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by IamEmem(m): 9:46pm On Aug 23, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Aren't you contradicting yourself?

No I am not. What am saying is that women should be empowered and not relegated, neither should women empowerment erode their primary duties especially the home front.
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Shafiiimran99: 9:51pm On Aug 23, 2017
Yonce:

Your entire post reeks of immaturity, I'm sorry to say. This isn't a woman vs man situation but you're making it so.

We should be encouraging our women to show interest in jobs like this and even supporting them. . . .not trying to be sarcastic at their expense. If my daughter shows interest in joining the army tomorrow, it's left for me to encourage her to be the best in her field and not dumb her down to a role acceptable to society.
If feminism wasn't a man vs woman, what it is then? Why they are callin for equality? U c i did mean to discourage them but what u don't seem to understand is that, it is matter of nature. For instance, men out number women in politic due to the nature of men and they always play front role so, how do u expect them to emerge as leader like president or governor when they have not naturally leadership in them
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by talk2hb1(m): 9:51pm On Aug 23, 2017
Yonce:

Sure, the real question is, are you man enough?
That brings us to the Question what do you mean by Man Enough? (Gender Disparity), My 12Years Old Daughter, should be a proof.
Yonce:

As I said, all this is strictly based on if the man is worthy.
What makes a man worthy, what makes a woman worthy.
Its Obvious Feminist doesn't know what they want, they will want to be a feminist when they want.
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by pocohantas(f): 9:53pm On Aug 23, 2017
PDPGuy:
Feminism can never really take root in Nigeria until the bride-price tradition is abolished.

There is no way a man would pay bride-price for his wife, and expect to only be a co-equal partner in the marriage even if she works a full time job.

So, a Nigerian man will always lay claim to being the natural head of house if he is married to a Naija woman.

That's why most Nigerian men who are married to European/American women fully accept the notion that they are co-equal partners in the marriage because there was no bride-price involved, and the women equally foot half the bills for running the home. It's also highly likely that the woman paid for the dates on some occasions, unlike in Nigeria where the man is expected to foot 99.9% of the bills on dates.

...But the men are the ones collecting the bride price na....see trouble o. As for paying on dates...one has been truthful enough to admit most Nigerian men don't like it, they just say it for the sake of saying it. Practically, Nigerian men love to be in control of every.

These things are what makes our men feel like men, I won't be surprised if that's why the very traditional ones among them don't want it removed. They'll feel emasculated.

Odunharry:
True talk pocahontas.. It somehow bruise their ego but truth is only few ladies will go Dutch.
Left to me, i won't be comfortable if a lady is the one paying my bills.
The truth is, I don't usually collect stuffs from ladies back then. I have made adjustment though.

It's not bad if a lady decide to foot the bill once a while though.

Thanks for saying the truth. There are actually women spending on their men, it's just not the norm here. So, it's expected they hush it to protect the ego of their men and not come off as domineering.

2 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 9:54pm On Aug 23, 2017
IamEmem:

No I am not. What am saying is that women should be empowered and not relegated, neither should women empowerment erode their primary duties especially the home front.
The 2 bolded portions are contradictory actually.

Cc:pocohantas
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 23, 2017
talk2hb1:

That brings us to the Question what do you mean by Man Enough? (Gender Disparity), My 12Years Old Daughter, should be a proof.

Its Obvious Feminist doesn't know what they want, they will want to be a feminist when they want.

the feminist struggle needs to be clearly defined..this i second
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Gerrard59(m): 10:04pm On Aug 23, 2017
XKZ:

When it was seen as a easy job (compared to hardware) suitable for women, it had lots of women because they were encouraged to do it.
When it became lucrative they were discouraged.

As you pointed out women need to be encouraged to go into the field and it is creating spaces and opportunities for them in those fields that would encourage them join the fields.

You've raised a good question about welding and construction jobs... Maybe the fact no one is pushing gender parity in those industries indicates that where they make requests, such requests are actually objective and merit based

No one discouraged women from entering those fields because it's lucrative (I'm yet to read an article on that). Why should ladies leave a field because it's lucrative? Who doesn't like money?

Females should be encouraged not by creating spaces for employment (when even they are less in the pool to pick from), but by encouraging them to study those disciplines needed to be in the industry. I have seen Computer Science classes with only 6 females, Physics where there is none, Mathematics where one has 3 females. Question is: Should a firm come to employ, would the firm not employ more males than females all things been equal? It's simple probability.

Even if spaces are created, they cannot fill it all unless standards are lowered which breeds mediocrity.

No one is pushing for gender parity in construction jobs because it's not lucrative.

2 Likes

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by talk2hb1(m): 10:06pm On Aug 23, 2017
supersystemsng:

Feminism is a Waste of time, by some disgruntled individuals. How many of them are in the Military, yet they claiming Gender equity. They should go and join our boys in the North East doing Operation Doley
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Odunharry(m): 10:17pm On Aug 23, 2017
pocohantas:

...But the men are the ones collecting the bride price na....see trouble o. As for paying on dates...one has been truthful enough to admit most Nigerian men don't like it, they just say it for the sake of saying it. Practically, Nigerian men love to be in control of every.

These things are what makes our men feel like men, I won't be surprised if that's why the very traditional ones among them don't want it removed. They'll feel emasculated.

Thanks for saying the truth. There are actually women spending on their men, it's just not the norm here. So, it's expected they hush it to protect the ego of their men and not come off as domineering.

You just giving excuse for the female folks.. Alot of them won't and can't spend even of they have the cash. Many will still tell u wat is he man for.

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by YourRadiance(m): 10:21pm On Aug 23, 2017
talk2hb1:

Not0fThis:
Nigeria of all places. That's a big NO.
IamEmem:

OrdercityWeb:

Odunharry:

You just giving excuse for the female folks.. man for.
supersystemsng:

Odunharry:

You just giving excuse for the female folks.. man for.

Why?
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by NigerianScholar: 10:30pm On Aug 23, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Yes undecided
So when women have equal rights as men. What difference will it make pls? Low standard of living weaking currency and you re here telling me feminism
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by IamEmem(m): 10:35pm On Aug 23, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

In what way are they actually contradicting??
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 23, 2017
Odunharry:

You just giving excuse for the female folks.. Alot of them won't and can't spend even of they have the cash. Many will still tell u wat is he man for.

I won't feel comfortable if a babe pays for date o..
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 23, 2017
YelloweWest:

You see. This is the hypocrisy from u guys I don't understand.
What exactly to you mean by 50/50?
Just 50/50 in terms of financial obligations?
Dose the woman have as much time as the man to work?
Who will raise the kids??
Will the man agree to do 50% of house chores?

Take me for example. I'm a lawyer but can't work for now cos I'm pregnant. I'll be out of a job for awhile while I nurse my kid.
I have 5 other young children.
My husband is the sole breadwinner every dimr that he makes belongs to our family. HE HAS NEVER COMPLAINED!
though we are quite comfortable money is not an issue cos he is quite successful, I can't imagine my husband asking me to contribute financial.
He brings home the bacon and I cook it! Everyone is happy!
I have businesses that I run which bring me a steady income but my husband does not care about my money! He always calls it groundnut money and that I and the children are his responsibility.
Why is it that men are no longer like this??
This is how my dad was with my mum.
I consider myself very lucky having a husband like my dad. Unlike men who no longer take pride in taking care of their family. Shame!

Ah! So you are pregnant? No wonder. You have just being spewing hate comments against Men since. This is a result of cramp reaction. Eyah !

Safe delivery oh, like Hebrew women by Gods grace. cheesy
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by iceadonis(f): 11:02pm On Aug 23, 2017
The concept feminism may not seem relevant to you these days....but it is pertinent for you to know that,if not for the activities of feminist movement over the years.... women will still be subjected to many unimaginable enclosure and violence...
over the years,women have been seen as a mere object.... properties...sex objects.....and procreation objects....less respect or no respect were accorded to women
infact the birth of every male child in past generation were heralded with festivities and ceremonies....but at the birth of a female child....the compound will be more silent than a graveyard.......this is when the stereotyping begins.......
.....buh fortunately for the female folks... women plights began to gain momentum around the 16th century through mainstream media, ....

Over years with the activities of these feminist movement.... women began to enjoy some right.... right to education,right to public hearing..,etc.......

.....at this point...it is no doubt that the activities of these feminist movement changed alot relating to gender issues.....women are seen in top political position.... women are owners of notable industries.... women are seen in many professional cadres ...etc....this achievement is all thanks to these feminist movement.....

.. despite the civilization of modern days.... there are still various enclosure and violence against women.......such as... EARLY CHILD MARRIAGE.... WIDOWHOOD DISCRIMINATION.... FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION.....WIFE BATTERY.... FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION
among others....

1 Like

Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by iceadonis(f): 11:14pm On Aug 23, 2017
GreatEvilBeast:
What else do these women want angry
In my opinion they're just asking for Superiority not equality..

Quote me and die angry

I won't die
..buh live....
..To tell you that I m still alive in 1300...
....,�������...
.....buh to be honest with you....you don't seem to be informed......
......if you know what women are facing in some places u don't know.. "simply because u r not informed"......you will be too shocked to move.....
....is it early child marriage....(many of these girls end up contacting VVF....some die from childbirth......
....or is it widowhood discrimination.....for ur information..... it's still in existence in the Eastern part of Nigeria....not to mention other primitive African countries.....
...Even wife battery...... how many husbands complain about the wife beating them(that's laughable right)......
...... My dear....we still have a long way to go.....
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Frankenstein: 11:18pm On Aug 23, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

Meaning?
Elucidate please.
Women rights and enlightenment are more important today where wife battering, forced marriages, career suppression and barring women from inheritance are rife.

Although, some women have focused on misplaced priorities but that doesn't negate the need to free African women from social subjugation.
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by OrdercityWeb: 11:25pm On Aug 23, 2017
Frankenstein:
Women rights and enlightenment are more important today where wife battering, forced marriages, career suppression and barring women from inheritance are rife.

Although, some women have focused on misplaced priorities but that doesn't negate the need to free African women from social subjugation.
And all these you mentioned doesn't happen to men?
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Aug 23, 2017
Frankenstein:

This is valid...too many women die in marriages
Re: Is Feminism Relevant In Nigeria Today? by uprightman(m): 11:40pm On Aug 23, 2017
JONNYSPUTE:
Not relevant. Am yet to understand what exactly our women want. Equality or superiority? U want equality but u can't help ur husband pay house rent,school fees,buy foodstuff Nd do all other things that men do but u want him to help u wash the dishes,clean the house Nd bath babies. Pls women define exactly what u want.
I come here to read women's comments but unfortunately there is no woman in the house

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Polygamy: Men: How Do You Tell Your Wife,you've Gotten A New Wife. / Family Members Celebrate As Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years / My Uncle's Wife Younger Sister Is Acting Funny With Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.