Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,119 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? (79934 Views)

Tope Awotona: Meet Nigeria's Richest Man In The US / Jeff Bezos Is Now The Richest Man In The World With $143B / Amancio Ortega Becomes The Richest Man In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by kobijacobs(m): 11:47am On Aug 25, 2017
sukkot:
na yoke i dey yoke

yea I know
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by mu2sa2: 12:00pm On Aug 25, 2017
joinnow:

Just one policy can change matter bruuh this is Nigeria and he will disappear from world's billionaires list
The guy is very smart. He is always on the side of govt. Besides, it is unlikely that the countries he has investments in will all move against him because no govt is anti-business. He says he'II be investing massively in Europe and America in the coming years. Dangote's billions will keep multiplying - that's the reward for shrewd planning.

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by dman4mdmoon(m): 12:03pm On Aug 25, 2017
femidejulius:
I have been around for a while. Richest man in Nigeria has largely been based on people's perception and it may not be necessarily accurate until we got to the era of technology when the world became global village and it became more easier to track people's wealth. However from 1960 till date, these people have been respectively believed to be the richest by a large number of Nigerians.

*Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu (Emeka Ojukwu's father)
*Mobolaji Bank-Anthony
*Moshood K. Abiola
*Alhaji Aliko Dangote

There's no point criticizing this list. I am not saying it is 100% accurate but if you ask around, it is popular enough to be considered.

Having been around for a while, you ought to have heard the names like Deinde Fernandez and Harry Akande as well.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by Oyebee91(m): 12:04pm On Aug 25, 2017
NeeKlaus:

Lols! Okay..

*laughs in Diezani.. smiles in Babangida.*
frowns in abacha

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by dman4mdmoon(m): 12:17pm On Aug 25, 2017
aremuforlife:
i stand to correct you that MKO Abiola wealth was ruined or made pior till date, even after death his legacy still speak for him. just go and and see his children and how they all improve on their daily activities.

How many of Abiola's children are doing "well" as expected, going by the wealth and influence their father had in his life time? Do you still get to hear of their names? Deji was docked by EFCC for fraud sometime in 2011. Kola who is supposed to be in the class of the likes of Femi Otedolas is nowhere to be found when you talk of being rich.

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by nnol(m): 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2017
trippleKAY:
I know that particular building in Kaduna . abandoned more than 20 years now
its in kano and nt kaduna,i knw ishiaka rabiu estate very well,it was abandoned for many years,of recent there is an on going renovation there,heard people ar gonna live there soon.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by shaicollins(m): 12:33pm On Aug 25, 2017
Emmem005:
It has been for some years now hearing Aliko Dangote here and there........has Nigeria never produced a world class rich man before?
My question goes thus::: WHO IS THE RICHEST MAN IN NIGERIA BEFORE DANGOTE?

I believe this will educate us and my fellow Nairalanders

CHIEF MKO ABIOLA
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by Chitumu: 12:41pm On Aug 25, 2017
trippleKAY:
I know that particular building in Kaduna . abandoned more than 20 years now
pls where is it located?
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by PierreDeFermat(m): 12:44pm On Aug 25, 2017
vertueptime:

And also add indimi in the mix
Indimi is not that rich joor. Even Dr Dre,Jay-z,Beyonce,Diddy,Madonna,Celine Dion,Cher,J Lo etc are all richer than Indimi
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 25, 2017
PierreDeFermat:
that doesn't mean anything,Am Waleed has better jet than Bill Gates and Bill Gates is way richer. Hushpuppi has wore a 110million wrist watch but I doubt if Dandote has a watch that expensive and Damgote is richer

Why you go dey mention hushpuppi where Dangote dey , it is a travesty

2 Likes

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by maturemindsonly(m): 12:48pm On Aug 25, 2017
sukkot:
every dollar that exists on this planet belongs to that man. they own the federal reserve that prints the USA dollars. the man controls all the banks in the world. nobody is richer than the rotschilds. they downplay their wealth because if the whole world knows that one family owns half of the whole worlds wealth their would be anarchy and anger. but like i said, every dollar in this world including the one in dangotes pocket belongs to the rotschilds

and on a side note. who the fork is musa of malo ?

musa of Mali.. not malo.. otherwise known as Mansa Musa.. the 2nd richest person ever .. King Solomon is the richest person ever

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by maturemindsonly(m): 12:49pm On Aug 25, 2017
PierreDeFermat:
Musa of Mali is the richest man of all times. he existed more than 600 years ago

its King Solomon oga
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by Eze2000(m): 12:52pm On Aug 25, 2017
femidejulius:
I have been around for a while. Richest man in Nigeria has largely been based on people's perception and it may not be necessarily accurate until we got to the era of technology when the world became global village and it became more easier to track people's wealth. However from 1960 till date, these people have been respectively believed to be the richest by a large number of Nigerians.

*Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu (Emeka Ojukwu's father)
*Mobolaji Bank-Anthony
*Moshood K. Abiola
*Alhaji Aliko Dangote

There's no point criticizing this list. I am not saying it is 100% accurate but if you ask around, it is popular enough to be considered.

At last I have found a guy old enough to be mate among all these young bucks whose memories reach only as far back as 1990.

Ojukwu's father was one of the richest men in Africa at a time when the white man still held away here and oil and corruption were not so big. The civil war saw the Nigerian government confiscate most of his wealth particularly here in Lagos....the ojuwku family lost it all.

Another man that stuck out a mile was a kolanut seller in the north. his son lives billionaire banana island Lagos now

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by thanknairaland1: 12:54pm On Aug 25, 2017
mosh Abiola was Nigeria Dangote b4 he greedily killed himself by himself 4 joining politic.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by PierreDeFermat(m): 12:54pm On Aug 25, 2017
maturemindsonly:

its King Solomon oga
Thats according to bible and not everybody believes in bible and no reminant of Solomon's properties is known or seen to know the extent or maybe its just an exaggeration

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by jarx: 1:41pm On Aug 25, 2017
all these ppl calling abacha.... did he make his money from the military?
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by vertueptime: 1:53pm On Aug 25, 2017
PierreDeFermat:
Indimi is not that rich joor. Even Dr Dre,Jay-z,Beyonce,Diddy,Madonna,Celine Dion,Cher,J Lo etc are all richer than Indimi

In nigeria he's rich, imagine the only rich man who princess diana stayed over at his house, see there was a time in abj i say his son ahmed indimi, if u see how all those big abj boys they come dobale for the guy eh, not to talk about his father
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by vertueptime: 1:55pm On Aug 25, 2017
PierreDeFermat:

I de laff u, if indimi wasnt rich how cld his son dust 3 sitting serving governors over zara buhari. Just cos he dont talk
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by vertueptime: 1:55pm On Aug 25, 2017
PierreDeFermat:

I de laff u, if indimi wasnt rich how cld his son dust 3 sitting serving governors over zara buhari.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by arent88(m): 2:09pm On Aug 25, 2017
Juliette05:
Dangote is just an errand boy to the Super rich in Nigeria, he might officially be the richest but he isn't even in the first 30
some of u would just be typing beer parlour gossips.no be only errand boy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by PierreDeFermat(m): 2:14pm On Aug 25, 2017
vertueptime:

In nigeria he's rich, imagine the only rich man who princess diana stayed over at his house, see there was a time in abj i say his son ahmed indimi, if u see how all those big abj boys they come dobale for the guy eh, not to talk about his father
what is my business with his son,what do you expectbkn a third world nation where hunger is rampant,what I'm saying is that his father is not even half as rich as Dr Dre and Diddy,money aint about age. those small small boys like Diddy,Jay z,etc would buy him to exile. check his nethworth in wikipedia and check theirs. he's from a poor state in a poor country,so people as rich as him in his state are not much and nobody knows him in America where the likes of Jayz,etc are well known,nobody would dobale for Ahmed Indimi in America and a 12 year old boy would call him by his first name. Local champion is always allowed,they can prostrate all they like
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by imustsaymymindo: 2:14pm On Aug 25, 2017
hedonistic:

Unfortunately, your memory is not correct.

You people should stop parroting this falsehood about the faker called Harry Akande. Afi 6th richest man in the world. Scoffs. The man was never even the richest in Ibadan where he comes from. That title goes to a certain reclusive mogul known as Bode Akindele... Let alone Nigeria, let alone Africa, let alone the world.

Deinde Fernández, yes, he was quite wealthy and possibly one of the richest (and most globally influential) Nigerians of his generation. I dare say Deinde was even richer than the flamboyant and showoffish MKO at his peak, only less noisy.

In all, it is difficult to say who was the richest before Dangote, for the simple reason that Forbes hadn't started including Nigerians (or even Africans) in its famed reliable billionaire rating index.

However, I'll hazard an enlightened guess that people like Mai Deribe and Isiaku Rabiu Isiaku would be right up there as the richest Nigerian businessmen in the 1990s before Dangote took over.

You remember Dele Momodu's oviation magazine? Back then, they do this seasonal ranking of richest men in Nigeria and at the time harry Akande was first in Nigeria, it was reported he was 6th in the world and that was early 2000s. Maybe, the year 2002. And again, my memory could have failed me. And who is Bode Akindele?
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by imustsaymymindo: 2:23pm On Aug 25, 2017
maturemindsonly:

musa of Mali.. not malo.. otherwise known as Mansa Musa.. the 2nd richest person ever .. King Solomon is the richest person ever

Solomon rich pass pablo escobar? Na joke I dey o. People like Gadaffi and Abacha, their wealth cannot be measured too.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by laborious(m): 2:41pm On Aug 25, 2017
His uncle na abi na grand father...dantata
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by Juliette05(f): 2:58pm On Aug 25, 2017
arent88:
some of u would just be typing beer parlour gossips.no be only errand boy
ignorance is a disease undecided
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by ConcernedNL: 3:00pm On Aug 25, 2017
Abiola was the richest man in Nigeria before his death.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by naptu2: 3:03pm On Aug 25, 2017
naptu2:
Part 4

Abdulkadir Sanusi Dantata,

www.nairaland.com/attachments/660468_abdulkadir_dantata_200_150_jpg538ec72a3e0075751e0afbb6b57a4032

September 1 1945- February 7 2012 (Aliko Dangote's uncle). He gave Aliko Dangote a business loan with which Dangote started the Dangote Group

The late Alhaji Dantata was born in Sarari Dantata Quarters in the ancient city of Kano to the famous Dantata family on September 1, 1945. He was the eldest son of Sanusi Dantata, son of business mogul and patriarch, Alhassan Dantata, but by dint of hard work, he built a stupendous fortune for himself.

Not even the family's renowned business and trade patrimony, which had already guaranteed him a financially secure future, could stop the late Dantata from knowledge acquisition. This took him first to Sudan and then Kumasi, Ghana, where he obtained a certificate in advanced Islamic studies in 1956. Four years later, he returned to Nigeria to complete primary education at Kuka Primary School, Fagge in Kano. Unlike some of his peers, a thirst for knowledge nudged him on to acquire the Grade Two Teachers’ Certificate in 1968 before he joined the family business of cotton, groundnut and other agricultural products. In fact, the family business line was the largest licensed produce-buying agent of groundnut in Nigeria in the 1960s.

BUSINESS

Alhaji Dantata would not be content with that; he needed to express himself as he established his Dantata Land and Sea, a company that was into transportation, civil engineering and farming. The business initiatives further crystallised into one of the biggest construction firms - Dantata and Sawoe (founded in 1975) - which he partnered with German interests. As chairman of various business interests including the Asada Group, Brunelli Construction Co. Ltd, WJ Syndicate, Goguwasia Trading Company, Beijing-China, the sky was his limit. His business empire traversed construction, shipping, farming, trading and manufacturing.

Long before he died on February 7 this year, he had deservedly earned for himself the national award of the Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR) for his industry and contributions to the development of the country.

A stream of eminent personalities and well wishers at his burial could have indicated his disposition to people and life generally. Dantata’s health challenges may have cut short his other taller ambitions, but he would remain a beacon of hope and inspiration to budding businessmen.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by naptu2: 3:04pm On Aug 25, 2017
naptu2:
Part 3

Sanusi Dantata (Aliko Dangote’s grandfather)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1126439_947130_651635298183835_1557471046_n_jpg6a3a58e3cc39ad89ef65c2a9ac02c4e7

Sanusi Dantata (born c. 1919, date of death unknown) was a Nigerian entrepreneur and son of Alhassan Dantata.

In the 1960s, he was the largest licensed produce buying agent of groundnut in Nigeria. However by 1980, he had relinquished some of his business interest to his sons, including the eldest, Abdulkadir Sanusi Dantata, who co-founded Dantata and Sawoe and Asada Farms.

Business network

The Dantata family operated their businesses partly through a patrimonial system of credit allocation, trade and business transfers to kin, household and other members of their clientage. At one point in time, both Sanusi and his brother, Aminu controlled about 200 agents involved in buying Kola nut, Livestock, Ground nut and Merchandise. The system involved about five autonomous level of associates, agents, and farmers. Some members of these system engage in buying goods from restricted rural areas and transporting it to the city where another group of agents in the Urban area buys the goods and store them in stead for Dantata. Also the Dantata family through marriage and credit extension is linked with a few independent trading families in Kano and Northern Nigeria.

Sanusi Dantata was a personal friend of the Qadiriyya scholar, Ali Kumasi and supported some of the latter's religious works in Kano. His support for Ali Kumasi led him into conflict with Nasiru Kabara, the leader of the Qadiriyya movement in Kano and West Africa and a former tutor of Sanusi. Both Kumasi and Dantata tried to promote an independent Qadiriyya scholarship and religious authority, challenging the leadership of Kabaya. However, by the early 1970s, both men joined the Kabara faction of Kano Qadiriyya.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by naptu2: 3:17pm On Aug 25, 2017
naptu2:
Part 5

Dr Mariya Sanusi Dangote (nee Dantata)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5869787_alhadjamariyasanusidantatamrealikodangote777x4372_jpeg60ba08c3c31c9a5fc8def8a7c9b6e5c5

Billionaire businesswoman, Dr Mariya Dangote, is the daughter of Sanusi Dantata and granddaughter of legendary businessman Alhassan Dantata. She is married to Mohammed Dangote (a business associate of Alhassan Dantata) for whom she had Aliko Dangote, a multi-billionaire businessman. Her brother is Abdulkadir Sanusi Dantata, one of the founders of Dantata & Sawoe Construction Company and Asada Farms.

She sits on the boards of numerous companies, including MRS Oil and Gas, Mentholatum Nigeria Limited and the Dangote group. She is also known for her philanthropy, donating a hospital, which she built at Rijiya Lemu, to the Kano State Government in 2003.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by castro316: 3:28pm On Aug 25, 2017
The richest man?.....it was me na!!
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by dontexxy(m): 3:29pm On Aug 25, 2017
I Was, Bt Incase U Didnt Knw Me By Then, Take Ranson Kuti As Answer

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Come And Learn New Tricks That Cashed Me Over $400 On Fiverr In 5weeks. FREE!! / How Can Someone Use My BVN Pin To Withdraw My Money. / CBN Drops ATM Withdrawal Limit To N20k/Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.