Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,489 members, 7,816,155 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? (79936 Views)

Tope Awotona: Meet Nigeria's Richest Man In The US / Jeff Bezos Is Now The Richest Man In The World With $143B / Amancio Ortega Becomes The Richest Man In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by 400billionman: 4:18pm On Aug 25, 2017
Emmem005:
It has been for some years now hearing Aliko Dangote here and there........has Nigeria never produced a world class rich man before?
My question goes thus::: WHO IS THE RICHEST MAN IN NIGERIA BEFORE DANGOTE?

I believe this will educate us and my fellow Nairalanders

The Late Antonio Oladeinde Fernandez.

A Diplomat per excellence..

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by 400billionman: 4:23pm On Aug 25, 2017
NeeKlaus:

Lols! Okay..

*laughs in Diezani.. smiles in Babangida.*

Any Money that does not produce another Money will easily deplete/finish.

When someone steals, it doesn't make him rich because his N1bn stolen money today may remain only N100m by 10 years time. In this context, ex political thieves are not rich.

When you hear that Dangote is $14bn dollar rich, this is not the kind of money you can quantify by the number of houses or cars someone has.

Quit thinking like a kid
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by roeb1987(m): 4:24pm On Aug 25, 2017
i go comment after killing this rat, before it rainforced itself!... i don wan comot for hous like PMB
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by Kbanka: 4:35pm On Aug 25, 2017
PierreDeFermat:
Isiaku Rabiu also,Isiaku Rabiu is into oil and gas and other businesses and stupendously rich,now in his 90's and his son is one of the richest men in Nigeria today. Isiaku has many trucks also for haulage,there was a time he built about 57 duplexes with furniture's,and everything and started renting to people but people started complaining and packing out because they were hearing strange sounds of ghosts and babies crying in the midnight and Isiaku Rabiu was accused of being a ritualist. the estate is still in the north with nobody living in any of the mansions

Exactly where in the north is this estate? ?

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by NeuroBoss(m): 5:03pm On Aug 25, 2017
[quote author=PierreDeFermat post=59779201]Harry Akande who fell off by entering politics,they just collected all his money and he was almost crying in 2003 and that's why Dangote doesn't want to go into politics,Nigeria is not America where Donald Trump's massive wealth remains intact even after becoming president,Harry Akande's son is now married to Dakore Egbuson,Harry Akande used to supply 24/7 electricity to the whole District his mother's mansion he built for her is in Ibadan.
His excellency Oluwo Deinde Fernandez,he used to water his farm with helicopters,he was also a grandmaster of Ogboni confraternity till his death,he had yacht,island in USA and was involved in one of the biggest divorce settlement ever in UK.
MKO Abiola in the 90's,MKO was ruined by politics,Abacha destroyed his wealth and made sure he turn him to a poor man before he dies.

When lies are told more frequently, they tend to become statements of facts.

Your assumption that Harry Akande was that rich was the same election lie told that Osinbajo was the number 4 man in RCCG.

Listen to yourself, if Akande was that rich, how much do you think would have been too much to wreck him on an electioneering campaign?

With Deinde Fernandez, I agree.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by naptu2: 5:08pm On Aug 25, 2017
The story about Harry Akande's wealth is just hype created by Dele Momodu in the late 1990s/early2000s when Harry Akande was going into politics.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by hedonistic: 5:17pm On Aug 25, 2017
naptu2:
The story about Harry Akande's wealth is just hype created by Dele Momodu in the late 1990s/early2000s when Harry Akande was going into politics.
Don't mind them. It's amazing how easily lies take root perpetuate and multiply themselves when repeated and echoed often enough.

Bode Akindele is certainly richer than the man. I'm talking about Oyo State sef, where they both had their bases.

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by Fantes(m): 5:23pm On Aug 25, 2017
Forget politicians and education Life is a serious business.The richest man was Harry Akande.He was a very wealthy local and international industrialist particularly in Europe before joining politics which eventually drowned his wealth.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by mfm04622: 5:23pm On Aug 25, 2017
veraponpo:

Please show proofs that Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu was the wealthiest in his time.

Not hearsay, please. We are not arguing, because it has been busted here on many occasions that he was rich but not the wealthiest, thereby puncturing the balloon of that big line of words.

Please tell us who was richer than Louis Ojukwu while he was alive?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by somadinho10: 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2017
veraponpo:

Please show proofs that Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu was the wealthiest in his time.

Not hearsay, please. We are not arguing, because it has been busted here on many occasions that he was rich but not the wealthiest, thereby puncturing the balloon of that big line of words.
of all the people he mentioned why single out Louis odumegwu....... Bro don't be tribalistic

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by od501: 5:58pm On Aug 25, 2017
[quote author=Emmem005 post=59776020]It has been for some years now hearing Aliko Dangote here and there........has Nigeria never produced a world class rich man before?

I believe this will educate us and my fellow Nairalanders.

I wonder why nobody is talking about sir Louis Ojukwu. Menh... that dude was once lending cash to the federal government. he was so big that the famous John Holt of England (the richest man in Europe) became his buddy. I will boldly give it to Ojukwu abeg.

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by NeeKlaus: 6:05pm On Aug 25, 2017
400billionman:

Any Money that does not produce another Money will easily deplete/finish.

When someone steals, it doesn't make him rich because his N1bn stolen money today may remain only N100m by 10 years time. In this context, ex political thieves are not rich.

When you hear that Dangote is $14bn dollar rich, this is not the kind of money you can quantify by the number of houses or cars someone has.

Quit thinking like a kid
Inasmuch as I would like to take you up on all rational grounds, I would resist the temptation.

When engaging in an intelligent discourse, it is very MATURE to avoid resorting to vituperations. The contrary would pass you off as someone who is actually the KID. But I won't lecture you on your moral ethics.

To face the topic, you say ex political thieves can't be regarded as rich because their money would eventually deplete with time? Okay. An ex political thief who is more intellectually advanced and has the initiative to invest such money in reputable business ventures for profits can't be regarded as rich?

If such businesses generate more and more money for such a person with a good business foundation, tell me how it would deplete in 10 years time?? Or you want to say you haven't heard of ex politicians setting up businesses after leaving public office??

Well, I will leave you to wallow in your folly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by whitering: 6:13pm On Aug 25, 2017
PierreDeFermat:
Isiaku Rabiu also,Isiaku Rabiu is into oil and gas and other businesses and stupendously rich,now in his 90's and his son is one of the richest men in Nigeria today. Isiaku has many trucks also for haulage,there was a time he built about 57 duplexes with furniture's,and everything and started renting to people but people started complaining and packing out because they were hearing strange sounds of ghosts and babies crying in the midnight and Isiaku Rabiu was accused of being a ritualist. the estate is still in the north with nobody living in any of the mansions
evil that men do live before and after them.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by RedboneSmith(m): 6:29pm On Aug 25, 2017
maturemindsonly:

its King Solomon oga

Let me humour you a little. How much do you think Solomon was worth?
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by vertueptime: 6:29pm On Aug 25, 2017
PierreDeFermat:
what is my business with his son,what do you expectbkn a third world nation where hunger is rampant,what I'm saying is that his father is not even half as rich as Dr Dre and Diddy,money aint about age. those small small boys like Diddy,Jay z,etc would buy him to exile. check his nethworth in wikipedia and check theirs. he's from a poor state in a poor country,so people as rich as him in his state are not much and nobody knows him in America where the likes of Jayz,etc are well known,nobody would dobale for Ahmed Indimi in America and a 12 year old boy would call him by his first name. Local champion is always allowed,they can prostrate all they like

Wel we r talking about nigeria, here indimi is a billionaire, and in the top class of rich men in nigeria dats my stand
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by SAVAGEBETS: 6:48pm On Aug 25, 2017
Emmem005:
It has been for some years now hearing Aliko Dangote here and there........has Nigeria never produced a world class rich man before?

The Ojukwus, Athur Nzeribe or MKO Abiola, I'm referencing business men not politicians.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by maturemindsonly(m): 6:53pm On Aug 25, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Let me humour you a little. How much do you think Solomon was worth?
dey no fit calculate him money.. e too much
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by deodonna14(m): 7:10pm On Aug 25, 2017
happybee:
Nice one cool @ poster above me...
alhassan dantata grandfather of dangote
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by MICHEALADEX(m): 8:01pm On Aug 25, 2017
Dantata
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by naptu2: 8:07pm On Aug 25, 2017
deodonna14:
alhassan dantata grandfather of dangote

Alhassan Dantata was Aliko Dangote's great grandfather. His grandfather was Sanusi Dantata.

1 Like

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by johnime: 9:08pm On Aug 25, 2017
naptu2:
1920s-1950s: Alhaji Al-hassan Dantata (Aliko Dangote's great grandfather).

1950s-early 1960s: Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu.

1970s: Alhaji Aminu Dantata (Aliko Dangote's grand uncle)

1980s - early 1990s: Chief MKO Abiola

Late 1990s- present: Alhaji Aliko Dangote.

Honourable mentions

Joao Candido Da Rocha

Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony

Henry Oloyede Fajemirokun

Antonio Oladeinde Fernandez

Alhaji Ahmed Mai Deribe

Isyaku Rabiu (snr)
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by RedboneSmith(m): 9:14pm On Aug 25, 2017
SAVAGEBETS:

The Ojukwus, Athur Nzeribe or MKO Abiola, I'm referencing business men not politicians.

Arthur Nzeribe?

C'mon, he was never that wealthy. We are talking about the single wealthiest individuals of their time in all of Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by arent88(m): 10:03pm On Aug 25, 2017
Juliette05:
ignorance is a disease undecided
trust me u are d ignorant person here.we will soon hear tinubu is using dangote to build d refinary in Lagos.dangote doesn't own it.like I said earlier ur assertion is beer parlour gossip.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by femidejulius(m): 10:47pm On Aug 25, 2017
dman4mdmoon:

Having been around for a while, you ought to have heard the names like Deinde Fernandez and Harry Akande as well.

Of course sir, I have heard their names. If you check out my post, you will see that the list I wrote was based mostly on what the generality of Nigerians believed at the time. Besides Nigerians who do not live in Nigeria couldn't have been considered as the richest 'IN' Nigeria. Richest men are always based on popular perception till days when technology ensures that wealth can be tracked. Even now, there may be several rich people whose wealth are underrated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by Juliette05(f): 10:55pm On Aug 25, 2017
arent88:
trust me u are d ignorant person here.we will soon hear tinubu is using dangote to build d refinary in Lagos.dangote doesn't own it.like I said earlier ur assertion is beer parlour gossip.
if you know me well, I won't come here to say what I don't know, just that this is a public forum,if not....
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by PrinceMario(m): 11:08pm On Aug 25, 2017
Jarus:

30s - 40s - Alhassan Dantata
40s - 60s - Sir Louis Ojukwu
70s - Henry Fajemirokun
late 70s - 90s - MKO Abiola

Late 90s before Dangote - Mike Adenuga/Deinde Fernandez

From 2000s: Dangote
This bros too sabi cheesy
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by joinnow: 11:57pm On Aug 25, 2017
mu2sa2:
The guy is very smart. He is always on the side of govt. Besides, it is unlikely that the countries he has investments in will all move against him because[b] no govt is anti-business[/b]. He says he'II be investing massively in Europe and America in the coming years. Dangote's billions will keep multiplying - that's the reward for shrewd planning.
Please read some history on some president that are anti- business and do revert back with your find.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by phykel(m): 3:58am On Aug 26, 2017
Jarus:

30s - 40s - Alhassan Dantata 40s - 60s - Sir Louis Ojukwu 70s - Henry Fajemirokun late 70s - 90s - MKO Abiola
Late 90s before Dangote - Mike Adenuga/Deinde Fernandez
From 2000s: Dangote
jarus
I am a graduate of Great Ife Computer science with economics. Looking for oppourtunity in investment banking,capital market. Can u link with any Great Ife guy in the industry
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by Jarus(m): 7:25am On Aug 26, 2017
phykel:

jarus

I am a graduate of Great Ife Computer science with economics.
Looking for oppourtunity in investment banking,capital market.
Can u link with any Great Ife guy in the industry

Let's discuss jarushub@gmail.com
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by mu2sa2: 1:10pm On Aug 26, 2017
prekumohtim:

His name(Dangote) will remain till he dies. We don't have richest dead men
Dangote is a family name. His first name is Aliko. Long after Aliko is gone his investments will continue and whether anybody likes it or not the name Dangote will remain in billionaire's list. Don't forget that Aliko's lookalike daughter, Halima, is already being groomed to take over the business. She in turn will hand over to her child and they all bear Dangote.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by phykel(m): 6:47pm On Aug 26, 2017
Jarus:

Let's discuss jarushub@gmail.com

sent Thanks.
Re: Who Was The Richest Man In Nigeria Before Dangote? by bukiboy(m): 1:41am On Aug 27, 2017
Emmem005:

MKO Abiola

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Come And Learn New Tricks That Cashed Me Over $400 On Fiverr In 5weeks. FREE!! / How Can Someone Use My BVN Pin To Withdraw My Money. / CBN Drops ATM Withdrawal Limit To N20k/Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.