Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,001 members, 7,852,402 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:32 PM

Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" (4133 Views)

Nigerian Hiphop EPs And Mixtapes To Anticipate This Season / Vector Is Over-Hyped? / Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by semid4lyfe(m): 10:57am On Feb 21, 2010
ElRazur:

And when I say improvement, I am talking about getting the basics right. I watch a video last night of Sasha, sauce-kid and another guy. One of the comments posted on youtube was bang on target it says "I think the vocal delivery can be tighter". Simply put, their flows with back tracks is weak.
True talk. . . .not making an excuse for weak flows and delivery by our rappers but even some of these American rappers/hip-hop artistes have flows that when you hear, you're like WTF!
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 11:05am On Feb 21, 2010
ofokaofoki:

MOST OF U HERE ARE JUST TALKING THRASH , I GUESS U PEOPLE WERENT BORN WHEN BLACK MASQUERADAZ, MC SMOKE AND CO STARTED NAIJA HIPHOP. MOST OF U WERE BORN IN THE ERA OF MODENINE AND TRYBESMEN,
SEE THIS ONE (ABOUT 9 -10POSTS ABOVE ME ) TALKING AS IF HE IS AN AUTHORITY IN NAIJA MUSIC,
ITS A PITY WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE JUST TURNING 18 YEARS . BLOODY MISYARNERS .

It is frustration to type in caps so as to make a point. It is a weakness to try and discredit someone's view point cheaply because you simply cannot go against what was said.

I am not an authority, but I know a thing or two about Naija Hiphop.  Look dude, I have respect for you and it would be a shame if you have to step out of line over different views. State your views in a civil manner, it is the least you can do. After all, you are supposed to be the grown up right? Nice.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 11:10am On Feb 21, 2010
semid4lyfe:

True talk. . . .not making an excuse for weak flows and delivery by our rappers but even some of these American rappers/hip-hop artistes have flows that when you hear, you're like WTF!

I have never said we do not have talents. We do, in fact, we have people who have very good potentials, but when the majority are getting it so wrong then that industry will suffer as a result. Just look at nollywood. . . there are potentials, but poorly executed etc.

Yeah tell me about the American hiphop scene. It is "over saturated" every kid think they are the next money/commercial power house etc. I personally find some of the main stream artist a bit wack - lil wayne will come to mind, but that is another story.

I will love to see standard improve across our music scene in my opinion. It will do us more good in the long run.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by eldee(m): 1:56pm On Feb 21, 2010
ElRazur:

How nice and very tactical. You did not argue or counter the point but then proceed to be dismissive. Oh wait, this is nairaland.

As I said, it's a problem with hiphop in general not just Nigerian hiphop.
If you think those themes are limited to the Nigerian artistes then you know f[i]u[/i]ckall bout hiphop.

ElRazur:

Did you just say someone argued in a flawed manner, and yet the best you came out with is this? Right, allow me to state further that some of us know the different between producers sound. You just gotta have an ear for it. While some individual track may sound like others, over all, people are able to and can tell the difference between a Dre beat and a that of timba for example. In dre beat, you have plenty of Keyboards and Pianos, while that of timbo have many different parts that sometimes act as fillers, but overall works as "one" in the beat. That is just some of these characteristic signature that have made these producer their defined sound.

Hold, rewind . . . 'some of us know the differences between the way producers sound'?? That's your argument??

Dre's beats have keyboard sounds. . . wow, that's quite unique!!!
Timbaland has 'different parts' . . . this is your argument??

Wiki says all songs on Relapse were produced by Eminem except Beautiful, how does that sound different from any other Dre beat??
Well let me guess, 'people like you have got an ear for it' so you'll know . . . right??

No disrespect to your craft, but I don't care bout how many production softwares you've created . . . but your argument about American producers being unique is flawed.
As I said before, in modern hiphop, Kanye, Timbaland, Jay Electronica and a few others are the recognisable ones. Producers like No ID, Pharell, Just Blaze concentrate more on making good beats that are as diverse as possible.
Hostile Gospel and My Life (both Just Blaze) sound different just the same way Blaze and Wetin Dey (Jesse Jagz)

ElRazur:

Insular? Timbo insular? Right and I do not know about Hiphop right? Way to show your knowledge. This is a guy who is a super producer and have worked from Your pop album to your indie records and along side music considered as "white music". He paid his dues, but yeah you will have something to say. Before we lose the point. The point is that No producer in Nigeria have a defined sound. No?

As for Kanye, oh please. He's work with plenty of people before he become this known kanye.
You build an argument and the you tear it apart . . . I said Timberland and Kanye sound different from everyone else and you're arguing with me.

Producers in America try to be as diverse as possible, adjusting their beats to the artistes . . . same with the ones in Nigeria.
I think it's good, infact I think it's best for hiphop that producers are flexible.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 2:17pm On Feb 21, 2010
eldee:

As I said, it's a problem with hiphop in general not just Nigerian hiphop.
If you think those themes are limited to the Nigerian artistes then you know f[i]u[/i]ckall bout hiphop.

You clearly cannot see the bigger picture. A problem is a problem, it do not matter whether it is a common issue or not. The bottomline is that it is a problem. No? Dude, instead of getting dismissive, how about show what you know for crying out loud.

Hold, rewind . . . 'some of us know the differences between the way producers sound'?? That's your argument??

Timbaland has 'different parts' . . . this is your argument??

Can you read an absorb? Do you even see understand my point. I gave an example of how it can be identified and the best you come up with is some weak post. Pathetic. If you really understand the aspect of production, then you will understand why dre track have characteristic keyboard and piano sound AND why Timbaland have different parts that sound as filler but work as one. Lifting my words out of context to make a silly point, is lame, weak and at best shows how much you know. smiley

Here is a video on a Dre Type beat. Listen to what the Tutor was saying about Dre Beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bndqlP2FzFA

NFX have been making beat tutorial for about 10 years or more now. You can learn a thing or two.

Here is another video by NFX detailing a Timba-type beat. Again, listen to the characteristics of Timba beat he pointed out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63KNmuaKr4c

Focus on what he says. Once you understand that, saying Dre's beat have keyboard and piano won't sound so strange to you any more.

Wiki says all songs on Relapse were produced by Eminem except Beautiful, how does that sound different from any other Dre beat??
Well let me guess, 'people like you have got an ear for it' so you'll know . . . right??

Wiki says a lot of stuff and your point is? Making assumptions now? Awesome. You are getting better.

No disrespect to your craft, but I don't care bout how many production softwares you've created . . . but your argument about American producers being unique is flawed.

So you disagree Dre, Timba et al do not have a distinct sound? You must be kidding me. Ever heard of the phrase "Dre beats" etc. You know why they so? Not because it is made by dre, but because of the underlying unique characteristics. Period. For one to earn that, your sound and approach will have to be different.

As I said before, in modern hiphop, Kanye, Timbaland, Jay Electronica and a few others are the recognisable ones. Producers like No ID, Pharell, Just Blaze concentrate more on making good beats that are as diverse as possible.
Hostile Gospel and My Life (both Just Blaze) sound different just the same way Blaze and Wetin Dey (Jesse Jagz)

Do you even read what you are saying? First you disagree that American producers do not have a unique sound and in the same breathe agree that Kanye and co have a unique sound. Make your mind up.

You build an argument and the you tear it apart . . . I said Timberland and Kanye sound different from everyone else and you're arguing with me.

Really? Perhaps the definition of Insular will help you out. Here: "If you say that someone is insular, you are being critical of them because they are unwilling to meet new people or to consider new ideas." [Taken from http://www.google.co.uk/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en|en&hl=en&q=insular ]

Perhaps know the meaning of words next time? Just a thought.

Producers in America try to be as diverse as possible, adjusting their beats to the artistes . . . same with the ones in Nigeria.
Who says other wise? I have stated this that timbaland have worked with all kind of Genres when you claimed he was insular. So your point is what? Thanks for paraphrasing what I said. undecided

I think it's good, infact I think it's best for hiphop that producers are flexible.

I agree. See above. Been flexible do not mean you change your unique sound. Ask Dre. He's been in it for 20years plus and he is still doing the same unique sound and approach.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by Genuflect(m): 2:56pm On Feb 21, 2010
Okay, so the production, artists, organisation, videos, shows are all below par, right? SMH
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 3:01pm On Feb 21, 2010
Genuflect:

Okay, so the production, artists, organisation, videos, shows are all below par, right? SMH

Shake your head all you want, but you may want to read my posts again. I have stated that we have the right idea and potential talents, but the execution is poor. In other words, amongst the truckload of non-sense that are coming out and are out already, we have a few gem amongst them.

When you have the majority in the industry as a whole coming out with 3rd rate products, do you not think it is an issue? No? Or in other words, do you not think there is an improvement needed right across?
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by hax: 3:23pm On Feb 21, 2010
eldee:
Wiki says all songs on Relapse were produced by Eminem except Beautiful, how does that sound different from any other Dre beat?
I think you mean they were all produced by Dre, apart from Beautiful which was by Eminem. It's the other way round.

You just lost a lot of points for saying 'Beautiful' sounded similar to Dre's beats. lol

And a few more if you REALLY meant this. Listen to 'The Watcher 2' and 'Higher' and 'Heat' and 'In Da Club' and tell me they aren't quite unique. Or as at when they first dropped they weren't. Go on.

lol
Be nice to the guy. lol
It's not easy to tell a producer by just the beat. Or he gets criticized for 'doing the same thing'. Only a few signature ones. It's not only Kanye that samples old soul beats, it's not only Timbaland that used those pounding drums, it's not only Premo who scratches and uses vocal samples as hooks, everyone's jacking their styles now and alot of new producers have based their styles on the likes of Kanye and Dre.

I'd switch Jay Elect and Pharrell.
There's RZA, there's Dre, there's Premo, and of recent, Blu too. They're pretty unique.

Flexible doesn't mean you have to ignore your signature sound.

ElRazur:

I agree. See above. Been flexible do not mean you change your unique sound.  Ask Dre. He's been in it for 20years plus and he is still doing the same unique sound and approach.
Yessir!

And yes, the Nigerian hip hop scene isn't too great, really.

Everyone and their mother is either rapping about money and they're all winding and grinding in the club.

And the word 'swagger' is overused these days.

'Talk about it' (the track, not the whole album) was pure genius. And to an extent, 'Crowd Mentality' too. And of course, 'Safe'. We need more of that.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 3:30pm On Feb 21, 2010
hax:

Everyone and their mother is either rapping about money and they're all winding and grinding in the club.

'Talk about it' (the track, not the whole album) was pure genius. And to an extent, 'Crowd Mentality' too. And of course, 'Safe'. We need more of that.

I think a lot of hiphop lovers do not realise this.

And another people do not seem to realise either is that people like me actually want Nigeria to be at the forefront and the reason I am critical is because I feel we can do better. But it is like, no you aint allowed to say we aint good enough or call a spade a spade.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by eldee(m): 4:27pm On Feb 21, 2010
ElRazur:

You clearly cannot see the bigger picture. A problem is a problem, it do not matter whether it is a common issue or not. The bottomline is that it is a problem. No? Dude, instead of getting dismissive, how about show what you know for crying out loud.

You're comparing the Nigerian industry to the American music industry.
I'm saying the problem cuts across . . . so that point you raised is baseless.

You said a certain rapper is a wannabe gangsta . . . I'm saying half the rappers in America are wannabe thugs too.
How does that make Nigerian hiphop inferior to that of the States??

ElRazur:

Can you read an absorb? Do you even see understand my point. I gave an example of how it can be identified  and the best you come up with is some weak post. Pathetic.  If you really understand the aspect of production, then you will understand why dre track have characteristic keyboard and piano sound AND why Timbaland have different parts that sound as filler but work as one. Lifting my words out of context to make a silly point, is lame, weak and at best shows how much you know.  smiley

Bringing Youtube B.S does little to support your case.
Analysis or whatever, I'm the consumer along with other people that buy CDs or download illegally . . . I don't need to dissect beats to appreciate music, you are what you sound to the average hiphop listener.

To the average listener, it's quite difficult to tell that both Jay-Z's On To The Next One and Cassidy's Hotel were produced by one person.
Not having unique sounds does not affect the quality of Nigerian hiphop . . . same way it does not affect that of the Americans.

ElRazur:

Wiki says a lot of stuff and your point is? Making assumptions now? Awesome. You are getting better.

Talk about dismissive tactics!!!
Stop sidestepping and answer the simple question . . . how is Beautiful (Eminem produced) different from all the other songs on Relapse??

ElRazur:

Do you even read what you are saying? First you disagree that American producers do not have a unique sound and in the same breathe agree that Kanye and co have a unique sound. Make your mind up.

I'm saying, relatively, Kanye and Timbaland have the distinct sounds, but you overemphasize it.
The same way a hiphop head can't differentiate between Eldee's beats and Jesse Jagz beats is the same way it's difficult to differentiate between Swizz Beats and Just Blaze on most tracks.
The ability to produce songs and leave no traces of your last work is the next level of creativity. Especially for producers that do about 100 songs a year.

ElRazur:

Really? Perhaps the definition of Insular will help you out. Here:  "If you say that someone is insular, you are being critical of them because they are unwilling to meet new people or to consider new ideas." [Taken from http://www.google.co.uk/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en|en&hl=en&q=insular ]

Perhaps know the meaning of words next time? Just a thought.

Stop playing dumb with me . . . when say insular in the music section in a discussion about beats, even an idiot knows I'm not talking about collaborating with Coldplay.
Do I need to explain to you that when I say his style is relatively insular I mean readily influenced by the rest of the beats around??
I take it I'm not arguing with a high school dropout here and I find it repulsive that you're choosing to portray that image.

ElRazur:

I agree. See above. Been flexible do not mean you change your unique sound.  Ask Dre. He's been in it for 20years plus and he is still doing the same unique sound and approach.

As I said before, being an artist is different from being a producer.
Being flexible means you eliminate 90% of your last beat, only a professionally trained ear should be able to know who did what.
DJ Premier works with Christina Aguilera's Back To Basic's and Nas' Illmatic . . . untraceable to most music critics.

I like the fact that I can listen to an M.I album and four songs produced by one person all have extremely distinct beats.
I'm sure most lovers of good music care more about how good a beat is and not how similar it should be to the previous track.
A good beat is a good beat . . . your 'unique sound' theory is completely laughable

I know you'll come with another set of Youtube videos . . . but I know you know the exact truth.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by eldee(m): 4:58pm On Feb 21, 2010
hax:

I think you mean they were all produced by Dre, apart from Beautiful which was by Eminem. It's the other way round.

You just lost a lot of points for saying 'Beautiful' sounded similar to Dre's beats. lol

I used Relapse as my working sample. Apart from Old Time's Sake . . . Beautiful sounds like any other song on that album

hax:

And a few more if you REALLY meant this. Listen to 'The Watcher 2' and 'Higher' and 'Heat' and 'In Da Club' and tell me they aren't quite unique. Or as at when they first dropped they weren't. Go on.

You are the voice of reason here.
That's exactly what he should have said. . . it's always like that, one person drops a beat, it works, everyone does different deviations of the same thing.
They'll say it like it happens only in Nigeria, but it's everywhere.
The stereotypical 'Dre style' has been relatively successfully duplicated . . . to the extent that only a trained ear can distinguish.

hax:

Be nice to the guy. lol
It's not easy to tell a producer by just the beat. Or he gets criticized for 'doing the same thing'. Only a few signature ones. It's not only Kanye that samples old soul beats, it's not only Timbaland that used those pounding drums, it's not only Premo who scratches and uses vocal samples as hooks, everyone's jacking their styles now and alot of new producers have based their styles on the likes of Kanye and Dre.
I'd switch Jay Elect and Pharrell.
There's RZA, there's Dre, there's Premo, and of recent, Blu too. They're pretty unique.

This is my exact point. . . I thought I was speaking Spanish when I said it.
Being unique is not about being the first to do sumn . . . it's also about making sure no one else does it.
Since that's not possible, how can we then say the American industry has unique producers. That's blasphemy.

hax:

Flexible doesn't mean you have to ignore your signature sound.
I think flexibility is about not having sounds that are 90-100% different.

hax:

Now you're talking about the mainstream, same with the American mainstream.
Listen to albums and you'll be surprised, try Illegal Music mixtape or Modenine's albums, even Thy Album Come, the album tracks are quite different from what you hear on TV.

Most of the problems y'all have listed are problems with hiphop as a whole not Nigerian hiphop.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by chiogo(f): 6:53pm On Feb 21, 2010
Over hyped or just wack? cheesy

**ducks head** I'm just kidding. tongue
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 7:04pm On Feb 21, 2010
eldee:

You're comparing the Nigerian industry to the American music industry.
I'm saying the problem cuts across . . . so that point you raised is baseless.

Again, it sucks that you cannot read an absorb. Refer back to my original post on the issue. My focus is on the aspect of rapper that was touted as one of the best, my comparison was more on production side of things. Again read and absorbs. It helps a lot.

You said a certain rapper is a wannabe gangsta . . . I'm saying half the rappers in America are wannabe thugs too.
How does that make Nigerian hiphop inferior to that of the States??

See above.

Nigeria Hiphop is inferior to that of the US, any one with half a brain knows that. It is clear, be it production-wise, lyrically speaking etc. American hip hop is superior. Period.

Bringing Youtube B.S does little to support your case.
Analysis or whatever, I'm the consumer along with other people that buy CDs or download illegally . . . I don't need to dissect beats to appreciate music, you are what you sound to the average hiphop listener.

When corned you get dismissive again isn't! Man, how do you do it? In a debate, evidences are brought in to support and present a case. I suppose that concept is very alien to you. So far, you are yet to show anything to back up your drivel really.

Again, refer back to my point of how you need to have the ear to appreciate it. It is not a surprise you come across as another average listener. Quite rightly so too. smiley

To the average listener, it's quite difficult to tell that both Jay-Z's On To The Next One and Cassidy's Hotel were produced by one person.
Not having unique sounds does not affect the quality of Nigerian hiphop . . . same way it does not affect that of the Americans.

To your types perhaps it doesn't. Go and work in a studio and let the sound engineer or producer sell the same beat with same sound but different arrangement to you and another artist. Let us see how far before that is noted. No? Suddenly, it start to make sense as to how unique sound can be an advantage. As for quality, how do you think the 808 kick came about? Just in case you are too average to know what an 808 kick is, it is a type of kick developed by Roland in the 80s. I do not need to tell you how it added to the quality of sound we listen to these days.

You claim having unique sound do not affect hiphop. Yet the following are different and unique due to their unique styles and sound of hiphop - West coast, New Jack swing [popular in the 90s], East coast, Dirty South etc. Funny how these sounds have contributed to hip hop. But you wouldn't know. You sir an average who is too ignorant too know. smiley

Talk about dismissive tactics!!!
Stop sidestepping and answer the simple question . . . how is Beautiful (Eminem produced) different from all the other songs on Relapse??

The irony. Again, you need to see the bigger picture to understand. But since you have your mind made up, remember I have an ear for it. Why bother asking again?

I'm saying, relatively, Kanye and Timbaland have the distinct sounds, but you overemphasize it.
The same way a hiphop head can't differentiate between Eldee's beats and Jesse Jagz beats is the same way it's difficult to differentiate between Swizz Beats and Just Blaze on most tracks.
The ability to produce songs and leave no traces of your last work is the next level of creativity. Especially for producers that do about 100 songs a year.

No. Go back and read your own post. You word usage was poor, at least be man enough to admit that. Kanye and Timba have different styles. It is your prerogative, your problem and not mine if you fail to tell them apart.

Stop playing dumb with me . . . when say insular in the music section in a discussion about beats, even an idiot knows I'm not talking about collaborating with Coldplay.

Do I need to explain to you that when I say his style is relatively insular I mean readily influenced by the rest of the beats around??
I take it I'm not arguing with a high school drop-out here and I find it repulsive that you're choosing to portray that image.

You really are a borderline slowpoke. You used the wrong word then proceed to be dismissive when corrected. Your usage of insular in the context in which it was used was wrong. No?  Jesus flipping Christ, if your word usage is wrong and you can't even get it right, why should I bother to have a debate with you? Remember you are just another average head around here.

As I said before, being an artist is different from being a producer.
Being flexible means you eliminate 90% of your last beat, only a professionally trained ear should be able to know who did what.
DJ Premier works with Christina Aguilera's Back To Basic's and Nas' Illmatic . . . untraceable to most music critics.

The above sounds more like an opinion to me and not a statement of fact. But then, you are an average listener [again] who may not be able to tell. Over all, you can always tell the work of certain producers - especially those with unique sound over those who aint. How hard is it to understand that?

I'm sure most lovers of good music care more about how good a beat is and not how similar it should be to the previous track.

Are you even trying to move the goal post? Non-shocker.

A good beat is a good beat . . . your 'unique sound' theory is completely laughable

What a load of drivel. Dre beat is unique and his beats are good [In fact, excellent]. You see, there goes your silly claim.

I know you'll come with another set of Youtube videos . . . but I know you know the exact truth.

Providing proof is an alien concept to you. Get use to it, I am not one of your average you see. What exact truth? That you have dodged the point, use wrong words, post loads of drivel over what? That Nigeria hiphop is inferior to the US, or at best poorly executed? Or is it the fact that no Nigeria producer is yet to have a defining sound or beat? Shame on you for the drivel you posted to be honest.

Finally attempting to say I am a college drop out or something along those lines, when you clearly do not know what insular means or the right usage of the word is just at best idiotic. smiley
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by dawhizkid1(m): 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2010
@eldee
Dre beats r Unique! All d imitations r just conterfeit, U'll know an Original Dre beat if u care 2. 'Beautiful' and 'Stay wide awake' r not Dre Produced, n it's bleeping obvious,
@ElRazur
I know K-Solo's Beats, Cobham's and OJB's beat, Everybody Knows Terry G's beat, Characterized by Heavy Kicks and many many Drum to Snare Rolls,
What's my point? Yankee get few Unique producers, Naija get few 2, Yankee get Plenty Wannabees, 4 Naija dem Boku, Yankee get sum gud Artistes, Naija get Good Artistes 2, America Got a far Better Music Industry and Better Concerts Organisers 2 bt they Still got their own problem, Naija Music Industry get their many many Problem 2, But Naija Music rock Jor! Proudly IXja, Anytime.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 7:12pm On Feb 21, 2010
da-whizkid:

@ElRazur
I know K-Solo's Beats, Cobham's and OJB's beat, Everybody Knows Terry G's beat, Characterized by Heavy Kicks and many many Drum to Snare Rolls,
What's my point? Yankee get few Unique producers, Naija get few 2, Yankee get Plenty Wannabees, 4 Naija dem Boku, Yankee get sum gud Artistes, Naija get Good Artistes 2, America Got a far Better Music Industry and Better Concerts Organisers 2 bt they Still got their own problem, Naija Music Industry get their many many Problem 2, But Naija Music rock Jor! Proudly IXja, Anytime.

Can you post a track or two with regards to the above please?

It would be a good thing if we have a unique sound. I have always thought there are plenty of influence from America [obviously] when it comes to the drums etc. The drums rolls used - especially the snare - sounds more like Dirty south gritty and gutter sound to me than it is of naija.

Why ain't we looking at using Gbedu, Agogo, talking drum etc to help define a track? I am not saying no one have done that, but no one that I have heard have managed to blend all of those or some of it in a unique manner that is recognisable.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by Genuflect(m): 7:23pm On Feb 21, 2010
Da whizkid, Stay Wide Awake was actually produced by Dr. Dre. How come you couldn't just 'recognize'?
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 7:24pm On Feb 21, 2010
Genuflect:

Da whizkid, Stay Wide Awake was actually produced by Dr. Dre. How come you couldn't just 'recognize'?

Overall. [The keyword here is overall] you will recognise a Dre beat when you hear one. To you, it may not sound like one, but am sure it does to others. smiley
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ofokaofoki: 8:42pm On Feb 21, 2010
ElRazur:

It is frustration to type in caps so as to make a point. It is a weakness to try and discredit someone's view point cheaply because you simply cannot go against what was said.

I am not an authority, but I know a thing or two about Naija Hiphop.  Look dude, I have respect for you and it would be a shame if you have to step out of line over different views. State your views in a civil manner, it is the least you can do. After all, you are supposed to be the grown up right? Nice.

EL RAZUR YOU ARE A BLOODY FOOL, U KNOW WHY? WHO ARE U TO DETERMINE WHAT CAP SOMEBODY TYPES IN ,
I WASNT EVEN TALKING TO U IN THE FIRST PLACE I WAS TALKING TO THE PERSON WHO IS PRETENDING TO BE AN AUTHORITY WHEN ALL HE DOESIS SCRABBLE FOR FREE NAIJA SONGS ON THE NET TO POST ON A BLOG, AND SINCE U HAVE ASSUMED THE COMMENT AS DIRECTED TO U , THEN I CAN AS WELL TELL U THAT EVERY SINGLE WORD ON THAT POST BELONGS TO U NOW,. READ MY LIPS , YOU AREA BOY THRASH TALKER, AND YOU ARE A FAKER POSING AS AN AUTHORITY IN NAIJA MUSIC WHEN YOU ARE NOT EVEN BASED IN NIGERIAN FOR THE PAST 10YEARS .
READ MY LIPS EAT A HUGE PENISSSS  grin
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 8:49pm On Feb 21, 2010
ofokaofoki:

EL RAZUR YOU ARE A BLOODY FOOL, U KNOW WHY? WHO ARE U TO DETERMINE WHAT CAP SOMEBODY TYPES IN ,
I WASNT EVEN TALKING TO U IN THE FIRST PLACE I WAS TALKING TO THE PERSON WHO IS PRETENDING TO BE AN AUTHORITY WHEN ALL HE DOESIS SCRABBLE FOR FREE NAIJA SONGS ON THE NET TO POST ON A BLOG, AND SINCE U HAVE ASSUMED THE COMMENT AS DIRECTED TO U , THEN I CAN AS WELL TELL U THAT EVERY SINGLE WORD ON THAT POST BELONGS TO U NOW,. READ MY LIPS , YOU AREA BOY THRASH TALKER, AND YOU ARE A FAKER POSING AS AN AUTHORITY IN NAIJA MUSIC WHEN YOU ARE NOT EVEN BASED IN NIGERIAN FOR THE PAST 10YEARS .
READ MY LIPS EAT A HUGE PENISSSS  grin

Okay sir. Lol.

Making a dre-type beat at the moment wink
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ofokaofoki: 8:58pm On Feb 21, 2010
okay sir ? is that all u can say for urself. God save u tonite grin grin
when u fagggots compare american hiphop to naija hiphop u actually sound daft,,can u compare someone like modenine to gucci mane or souljah or plies for instance.? is MI or saucekid not better than most american rappers?
because american speak phonee and have white skin , most of u are just daft to music . an MI for instance will beat gucci mane and co in a rap battle so what makes america better? dumbo jumbos yet they open their mouths and talk like authorities of naija music . fuushi grin grin
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ofokaofoki: 9:11pm On Feb 21, 2010
ElRazur:

ELdee You really are a borderline slowpoke.
if your word usage is wrong and you can't even get it right, why should I bother to have a debate with you? Remember you are just another average head around here.
eldee see as this elrazur guy finish u , its obvious you are not even an everage head , what a disgrace. this is the first time they willl relegate u to below average head. eldee u need to quit nl argument wit ur below average knowledge. grin grin

ElRazur:

eldee does not read what he is saying??lmfao  , wat an insult to eldee. el razur so na everybody u dey insult . grin grin

Eldee:

I know you'll come with another set of Youtube videos

this elrazur guy spends his whole life on youtube studying nfx videos ,, unknown to him nfx is also a learner , if u go to the warbeat site , i have even thot him some tricks on beatmaking. and thats who he sees as a beat authority. dullard.

Elrazur:

Nigeria Hiphop is inferior to that of the US, any one with half a brain knows that. It is clear, be it production-wise, lyrically speaking etc. American hip hop is superior. Period.
so are u saying eldee has no brainwhat an insult  grin

see my el razur friend,  american hiphop is not superior, don jazzy production is top notch , world class, so what the fcuuck are u talking production wise, ?  lyrically most american rappers dont spit knowledge .they only have flows. a modenine for instance spits more knowlegde than over 70% of american rappers, but he doesnt have a top notch  flow, quote me anywhere . in nigeria only terry g has unique beats , don jazzy beats are versatile u can never tell a don jazzy beat except when u hear wande coal shouting its don jazzy again.!
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 9:18pm On Feb 21, 2010
Okay you are right. Sometimes, it is best to move on. I think **this is the point** since you are missing the point and just hellbent on talking for the sake of talking.

smiley

PS

For the record, I am a member on NFX site.  smiley I dont know about you, but everyone is a learner. But yeah don't let me stop you. smiley
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ofokaofoki: 9:20pm On Feb 21, 2010
ElRazur:

Okay you are right.

smiley

of course i am right , i am not a below average head like eldee. me i go school u about american and naija hiphop even on production , u know now. me i no be eldee o grin grin
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by eldee(m): 9:22pm On Feb 21, 2010
ElRazur:

Again, it sucks that you cannot read an absorb. Refer back to my original post on the issue. My focus is on the aspect of rapper that was touted as one of the best, my comparison was more on production side of things. Again read and absorbs. It helps a lot.

See above.
In that exact post, you were talking about a rapper's themes and lyrical direction and not production. . . hence the use of the phrase 'wanna-be gangsta'.
Cuzo (or whatever his name is) is not rated with the Top 20 in Nigeria . . . ask guys like DBR and Javalove that know sumn about Nigerian hiphop.
I'm happy that at least you're trying to squeeze your way out of the argument . . . at least it's less irritating than watching you play dumb.

ElRazur:

Now you sound like Mamagee and the rest of them.
If you're going to say sumn that conclusive, then at least bring up better points to back it up not cowdung like 'Nigerian producers don't have unique styles'

ElRazur:

When corned you get dismissive again isn't! Man, how do you do it? In a debate, evidences are brought in to support and present a case. I suppose that concept is very alien to you. So far, you are yet to show anything to back up your drivel really.

Again, refer back to my point of how you need to have the ear to appreciate it. It is not a surprise you come across as another average listener. Quite rightly so too. smiley
Your evidence is a couple of youtube videos, my evidence is my diverse music collection. I name the popular tracks I think you can easily get access to, but if you want me to spoonfeed you, I drop links to every song I've mentioned.

Yep . . . all I know about beats is mixing B.S on Antares VST and Mixcraft.
I see music the way the average listener would . . . in law it's called the reasonable man test.

If I can't locate a 'signature style' that's exclusive to a producer and cannot be reproduced then it doesn't exist or very irrelevant at the most in the eyes of the artistes, critics and the general public.

ElRazur:

To your types perhaps it doesn't. Go and work in a studio and let the sound engineer or producer sell the same beat with same sound but different arrangement to you and another artist. Let us see how far before that is noted. No? Suddenly, it start to make sense as to how unique sound can be an advantage. As for quality, how do you think the 808 kick came about? Just in case you are too average to know what an 808 kick is, it is a type of kick developed by Roland in the 80s. I do not need to tell you how it added to the quality of sound we listen to these days.

This is pure drivel . . . if one producer sells two artistes entirely different sounds to two different artistes, there won't be any problem at all.
That's the only way DJ Premier can manage to do two albums as distinct as Chritina's Back To Basics and Nas' Illmatic
That's the only way OJB can manage to produce both Thy Album Come and Face2Face.

Spare me your 808 kick lecture . . . right now is the 808 kick unique to anyone??
That's the question we should be asking . . . not your desperate attempt to show us what you learnt from you Wiki Tutorials.

ElRazur:

You claim having unique sound do not affect hiphop. Yet the following are different and unique due to their unique styles and sound of hiphop - West coast, New Jack swing [popular in the 90s], East coast, Dirty South etc. Funny how these sounds have contributed to hip hop. But you wouldn't know. You sir an average who is too ignorant too know. smiley

Again . . . what's unique about the genres you mentioned.
If they were unique to certain producers they won't be named after regions.

America faced 2-4 years of Southern music dominance pre-HHID . . . what producer owned the signature sound??
Wasn't it the fact that 75% of American producers started making Crunk beats that led to HHID??
For someone who claims to know so much about sound, you know next to nothing about music itself.

ElRazur:

No. Go back and read your own post. You word usage was poor, at least be man enough to admit that. Kanye and Timba have different styles. It is your prerogative, your problem and not mine if you fail to tell them apart.
My word usage was poor?? Don't worry, next time, I'll spell out contextual applications of words.
At least it'll save you from using google dictionaries to analyse posts.

ElRazur:

You really are a borderline slowpoke. You used the wrong word then proceed to be dismissive when corrected. Your usage of insular in the context in which it was used was wrong. No?  Jesus flipping Christ, if your word usage is wrong and you can't even get it right, why should I bother to have a debate with you? Remember you are just another average head around here.

How can my use of 'insular' be wrong when I say it shows that their beats are relatively different from the others??
You are an unrepentant ignoramus. . . get back at me when you stop using Google dictionaries.

ElRazur:

The above sounds more like an opinion to me and not a statement of fact. But then, you are an average listener [again] who may not be able to tell. Over all, you can always tell the work of certain producers - especially those with unique sound over those who aint. How hard is it to understand that?
Opinion?? I'll give you time . . . Listen to Back To Basics and Illmatic and tell me what you think.

Oh sh[i]i[/i]t!!! So now you understand that producers in America are not as 'unique' as you claim??
Tell me, what did it?? Is it the fact that I used DJ Premier and not Timberland??

ElRazur:

Are you even trying to move the goal post? Non-shocker.

I'm not trying to move any goalpost, I'm going back to your first post where you implied that the reason Nigerian producers come across as inferior is because they have no individual signature beats.
Using your logic, the lack of individual 'uniqueness' in a beat reduces the standard of Nigerian hiphop.
Anyone reading this thread already knows how crap your argument is, I just had to remind everyone once again.

ElRazur:

What a load of drivel. Dre beat is unique and his beats are good [In fact, excellent]. You see, there goes your silly claim.

Where in that post did I question the quality of Dre's beats?? Calling you a retard is offensive to people with learning disbilities.
Your argument is Total Flexibility=Crap . . . as I said, I think that's B.S

ElRazur:

Providing proof is an alien concept to you. Get use to it, I am not one of your average you see. What exact truth? That you have dodged the point, use wrong words, post loads of drivel over what? That Nigeria hiphop is inferior to the US, or at best poorly executed? Or is it the fact that no Nigeria producer is yet to have a defining sound or beat? Shame on you for the drivel you posted to be honest.

Providing proof that is irrelevant to the argument is what I consider idiotic.
Most Nigerian produces don't have a recurring signature style does not take anything away from them, it's far better for the industry.

You talk about the big picture in one breath. . . and you're portraying idiosyncratic traits of a simpleton in the next.

ElRazur:

Finally attempting to say I am a college drop out or something along those lines, when you clearly do not know what insular means or the right usage of the word is just at best idiotic. smiley
If you actually finished high school, you are a disgrace to the educational system as a whole.
I actually thought you were playing dumb before . . . how do I explain to anyone that degree holder is too stpid to know that 'insular' means 'not easily influenced by external influences'??
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ofokaofoki: 9:30pm On Feb 21, 2010
ElRazur:

Okay you are right. Sometimes, it is best to move on. I think **this is the point** since you are missing the point and just hellbent on talking for the sake of talking.

smiley

PS

For the record, I am a member on NFX site.  smiley I dont know about you, but everyone is a learner. But yeah don't let me stop you. smiley

which foolish point , ? i saw ur point , but it isnt enuff for people like me to stop tongue lashing u , u can run from below average heads like eldee , but u cant run from me . ur a member of nfx site ,. u get username to proof urself , ??

Eldee:

what producer owned the signature sound??
Wasn't it the fact that 75% of American producers started making Crunk beats that led to HHID??
For someone who claims to know so much about sound, you know next to nothing about music itself.

eldee don dey save him face , its obvious elrazur guy na internet search engine analyst , he knows nothing about hiphop
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 9:35pm On Feb 21, 2010
ofokaofoki:

of course i am right , i am not a below average head like eldee. me i go school u about american and naija hiphop even on production , u know now. me i no be eldee o  grin grin

I heard you.

smiley

For anyone reading:

Insular is defined as thus:

–adjective
of or pertaining to an island or islands: insular possessions.
dwelling or situated on an island.
forming an island: insular rocks.
detached; standing alone; isolated.
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of islanders.
narrow-minded or illiberal; provincial: insular attitudes toward foreigners.
Pathology. occurring in or characterized by one or more isolated spots, patches, or the like.
Anatomy. pertaining to an island of cells or tissue, as the islets of Langerhans.

Here is another definition from Oxford English dictionary:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=41219&dict=CALD

Yet the educated eldee said "You used Timbaland and Kanye, aren't they the most insular producers in America??"

When this was pointed out, he ended up saying something totally different.  .   . Erm. I think am done to be honest. smiley

Nice one Eldee, nice knowing you. smiley
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 9:37pm On Feb 21, 2010
ofokaofoki:

which foolish point , ? i saw your point , but it isnt enuff for people like me to stop tongue lashing u , u can run from below average heads like eldee , but u cant run from me . your a member of nfx site ,. u get username to proof urself , ??

eldee don dey save him face , its obvious elrazur guy na internet search engine analyst , he knows nothing about hiphop

I think I told you I am done. My points are there for all to see. You do not have to agree, but at least have the common sense to be civil sir. No?

Is this enough proof for you?

http://www.warbeats.com/Search/SiteSearch.aspx?cx=partner-pub-9579626535092999:bwakzh-cwze&cof=forid:10&ie=iso-8859-1&q=elrazur&sa=Search&sitesearch=warbeats.com&width=800#216
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ofokaofoki: 9:44pm On Feb 21, 2010
ElRazur:

I think I told you I am done. My points are there for all to see. You do not have to agree, but at least have the common sense to be civil sir. No?

you dont decide when you are done . i decide when to let u go, its clear u are chicken hearted so i will free u now like terry g , but be warned the next time u talk thrash about me or try to take over a comment that wasnt orignally meant 4 u , i will deal wit u , this one no be eldee wey u dey use goggle dictionary and wikipeadia teach english o
at least its obvious both of u have proven to have below average knowledge about what u pretend to know much about and u pose as authorities in naija and american hiphop. fakers. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 9:48pm On Feb 21, 2010
ofokaofoki:

you dont decide when you are done . i decide when to let u go,  its clear u are chicken hearted so i will free u now like terry g , but be warned the next time u talk thrash about me or try to take over a comment that wasnt orignally meant 4 u , i will deal wit u , this one no be eldee wey u dey use goggle dictionary and wikipeadia teach english o
at least its obvious both of u have proven to have below average knowledge about  what u pretend to know much about and u pose as authorities in naija and american hiphop. fakers. grin grin grin

What are you talking about? Dude, I am not keen on engaging in further bickering, how is that a chicken? Oh wait, it is in your eyes and your eyes only. Good for you, you see it is your prerogative not mine.

smiley

I do not have to act like a child simply because we disagree. smiley Have a nice day sir.
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by eldee(m): 9:51pm On Feb 21, 2010
ElRazur:

narrow-minded or illiberal; provincial: insular attitudes toward foreigners.

Yet the educated eldee said "You used Timbaland and Kanye, aren't they the most insular producers in America??"

When this was pointed out, he ended up saying something totally different.  .   . Erm. I think am done to be honest. smiley

Nice one Eldee, nice knowing you. smiley

Birds of a feather . . . No wonder you roll with imbecilic cretin like Ofoka.
In a discussion about hiphop beats . . . I said sumn as simple as 'Kanye and Timbaland are insluar.
I still have to break it down to you that Kanye's beats remain the same and are not influenced by other beats??

I don't blame you . . . I pity the people that spent money sending people like you and Ofokasibe to school.
That could have been money used for better things.

So tell me, are you going to look for another straw to clutch or sit down and accept that your dad wasted money sending you to school??
You're a joke!!! grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by chiogo(f): 9:56pm On Feb 21, 2010
LOL what the freak is going on here? I'm lost.  grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" by ElRazur: 9:56pm On Feb 21, 2010
Pfft. Typical debate around here - If you can't beat the point, Get dismissive and when that do not work, throw insult! When all else fail claim ultimate superiority while totally ignoring the matter at hand. Awesome.

smiley

Here is to friends to Eldee and Ofokaofoki.  smiley  No need to result to childish way. Grown up and all that. We can always be civil and get point across as grown up.  smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba Vs Igbo Vs Hausa Artistes-who Is Better? / Iceprince Releases 'Fire of Zamani' Album Cover,Wale,MI,Wizkid,DonJazzy Featured / MP3 Download: Olamide – Eyan Mayweather

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 200
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.