Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,329 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede (13866 Views)

Oloyede Opposes Reduction Of JAMB Fees / Snake: JAMB Registrar, Oloyede Blasts Nigerians For Joking Over Missing N36m / 30 Universities That Accepts Low JAMB Score For Admission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nelsizzy(m): 12:53pm On Aug 27, 2017
Dee1murphy:
And you think you know more than the professor ?
What are you even saying? So because he is a professor he can't make blunders or what
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nelsizzy(m): 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2017
mfm04622:

Which do you want. Schools officially giving students who score 120 and above admission or quietly giving those who score below 120 admission? What they are trying to do same ensure all admission are above board and nobody pays or uses influence to get admission. They started with this year's admission, requiring schools to show crit used in admitting students. Merit, indegenes or catchment area. I guess this is further refinement of the system
Bros y are you lying. Show me prove of your claim that some universities admit students with 120.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by relevanteism(m): 12:56pm On Aug 27, 2017
Was about replying him when I saw this. The guy is confused and only looking for an excuse to justify his argument. Let schools blur out names and release a list of students waec against jamb result and you will understand that what the man is talking about is baseless.
dapyd1:

You are countering yourself. Lecturers will collect more workload because the students need more Lecturers. Students are too many that why Lecturers can teach in four, five schools.

If the classrooms are wrote as he said, no lecturer will be able to teach in more than one school coz there will be no extra student.

1 Like

Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by mfm04622: 1:02pm On Aug 27, 2017
MrEnigma007:

For those still saying the man is right... understand what this guy wrote and you will know "you know nothing"...

if it is a ranking system and "some" who scored 200+ don't have 5 credit (which is certainly hard to believe except the person certainly cheated in waec) then the logical thing to do is scrap jamb because from his statement the said jamb is useless. At least I can choose different universities where chances of admission becomes great and not confined to two

Let Let me you an example of how there will be qualified candidates not admitted but there will b infilled spaces.

When my brother sought admission into LASU, he had passed his WAEC, got more than cut off for JAMB, got more than cut off for LASU exam. H aggregate was 58, cut off was 55 for his course for non indegenes (even though he and his mother were born in Lagos!). He wasn't offered admission even though his aggregate score was higher than the cut off because more candidates got higher marks than him a filled available slots for non indegenes. While indegenes slots were no filled F that course even though the aggregate cut off was just 50! They did 2 other post UTME exams just to fill such slots for such courses, limiting such opportunities to indegenes who didn't get admission. That is students who didn't get 50 in the first place.

The fact that cut off is 120 does not mean schools can't set higher cut off. It just mean nobody that scores below 120 will be offered admission no matter the circumstances.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 27, 2017
Kingslaw:
undecided is that all? My friend take it back to 200!
200 is too low, 300 would be better
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by mfm04622: 1:05pm On Aug 27, 2017
Nelsizzy:
Bros y are you lying. Show me prove of your claim that some universities admit students with 120.

I don't have proofs. However, if you know any student in Federal University, Gusau. Ask if some students are not in that school with less than 120.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 27, 2017
heykims:
He's got points
Many are roaming d streets unadmitted while some of those above 200 don't clear the 0level to be admitted.
As such, universities admit way below the number they should.
People should please and digest before displaying their ignorance
Yea he's right to a great extent. Imagine someone scoring 294 in jamb,passes post utme but not admitted because his O'level isn't correct. Probably he doesn't have up to the 5 credit pass required even if had both results (Waec and Neco)
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 27, 2017
Larynx:
You are more Confused than him... There are lot of people who score above 200 and still don't have 5 credit
Exactly
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nelsizzy(m): 1:09pm On Aug 27, 2017
mfm04622:

I don't have proofs. However, if you know any student in Federal University, Gusau. Ask if some students are not in that school with less than 120.
You don't have proof. Come back when you do
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nelsizzy(m): 1:10pm On Aug 27, 2017
mfm04622:

Let Let me you an example of how there will be qualified candidates not admitted but there will b infilled spaces.

When my brother sought admission into LASU, he had passed his WAEC, got more than cut off for JAMB, got more than cut off for LASU exam. H aggregate was 58, cut off was 55 for his course for non indegenes (even though he and his mother were born in Lagos!). He wasn't offered admission even though his aggregate score was higher than the cut off because more candidates got higher marks than him a filled available slots for non indegenes. While indegenes slots were no filled F that course even though the aggregate cut off was just 50! They did 2 other post UTME exams just to fill such slots for such courses, limiting such opportunities to indegenes who didn't get admission. That is students who didn't get 50 in the first place.

The fact that cut off is 120 does not mean schools can't set higher cut off. It just mean nobody that scores below 120 will be offered admission no matter the circumstances.
How is bringing the cut off mark to 120 going to solve the problem you stated above?
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 27, 2017
VoltageDivida:
What is he saying, who is he trying to confuse?

My brother has scored more than 200 in three UTME's has more than five credits and is still not admitted.

How does lowering the cut off mark to 120 solve this problem?
That's your brother but there many that dont have up the required 0'level result.Some 8 credits with one subject missing
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by mfm04622: 1:21pm On Aug 27, 2017
Nelsizzy:
You don't have proof. Come back when you do

I gave you opportunity to do investigation yourself. Do it and prove me wrong. Simple
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by VoltageDivida(m): 1:27pm On Aug 27, 2017
asuustrike2009:

That's your brother but there many that dont have up the required 0'level result.Some 8 credits with one subject missing

Brother
During my days there was provision for entering SSCE results during JAMB registration. So I see no how admission can be offered to unqualified candidates if that is used.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 27, 2017
I see nothing to whine about here since the universities were given the right to shun jamb's cut off and adopt their desired cut offs.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by delexy123: 2:18pm On Aug 27, 2017
StRichard:
This man is confuse how can he make this kind of comment...
Bro, he is not confused but correct. They are some who write jamb without having the complete O level requirements for the course they want to study. They believe they can bribe their way into the school once they can get above 200. That is why you see many of them find different means to cheat just to scale above 200. With this latest development and drop in general cut off mark, the desperation to get high scores using crooked means is abated.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Kbanka: 2:21pm On Aug 27, 2017
Uchemus:
sometimes I wonder how these leader think, why would someone who havnt passed waec write utme. if you think the hurdle is unnecessary then stop the utme. since the spaces in the tertiary institutions are limited, the cut off Mark should be guided by the capacity of these institutions and the number of students taking utme for the given year. but let's tell ourselves the truth, this would mostly favour the north and private university owners. this means whoever scored 140 would have equal chances with whoever scored 300 to study a given course and they would be left at the discretion of the VCs and provost who you had your so called meeting with to do their bidding in deciding who they admit. pls if the cutoff can be as low as 120/400, then it's useless, just scrap the exam and save money, let everyone go for entrance exam at the university of their choice on a fixed date generally accepted by the universities.

It is a RANKING exam. This obviously simply means that the candidate with 300 has a much better chance of gaining admission than the candidate with 140 provided both candidates have the requisite 5 credits in O Level.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Oduok(m): 2:22pm On Aug 27, 2017
With this statement by JAMB registrar, JAMB will soon be scraped and universities given autonomy to conduct their "ranking" exams.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 27, 2017
VoltageDivida:

Brother
During my days there was provision for entering SSCE results during JAMB registration. So I see no how admission can be offered to unqualified candidates if that is used.
That's if the results are ready ,what of awaiting results?
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by udoglory(m): 3:30pm On Aug 27, 2017
heykims:
He's got points
Many are roaming d streets unadmitted while some of those above 200 don't clear the 0level to be admitted.
As such, universities admit way below the number they should.
People should please and digest before displaying their ignorance
Biko which Nigerian university in this era admits way below dey should.. have u gone to the universities before??.. the number of students they admit is far greater than the available facilities to train n eduacte these students.. so that point doesn't even have any bases
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by DEADALIVE: 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2017
As an ardent beliver to always fight for the poor...I think the policy is a step in the right direction.
point one, 20 % of the students who scored above 180 might not even have their o level complete which constitute another addition for number of applicant next year.

point two, Nigeria is divided into six geopolitical zones, while the south keeps denying their indigenous people of admission and the poor don't even get a chance there because of competition then again they move to the other side the North where they would be considered. after four years, Nigeria really don't care where you graduated from but connection. This makes more candidates in the north to have access into government agencies and parastatal while the south continues to think that they are the best and most qualified without access to university and lack of Job.

point three, it makes education affordable for everybody on a plain level ground while utme gives you the opportunity to gain admission the university are in the better position to determine who will be admitted base on their standard and requirement.
In conclusion, education in Nigeria has been the major contribution to her fall, why ?, because the orientation passed on to us by our fathers is such that without it you can't be a better person in life but that thinking or notion is obsolete. Education should be formal and prepare you for life struggle.
Life is all about struggle in all facet, let's not make it complicated because we are rich or opportune then make the system continue to depreciation.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by Optimist88(m): 5:19pm On Aug 27, 2017
bigtt76:
What is this man saying sef. So those students that recently scored straight A1s in the last WAEC are children of wealthy Nigerians? Funny.... The children of the poor are the ones that perform better than those of the rich if he doesn't know.

A student who is able to score 5 credits required for admission is worth their salt to score above 120 or 100 in UME.

And no.... UME is a qualifying exam and not ranking exam. They better introduce post UME tests or electronic we will be be getting students with below participation performance admitted.

Looking at the trends.... When children of the rich were failing WAEC, government introduced NECO. Samething happened when their children were not getting admitted by the public universities they licensed private universities the poor could not afford, and now because of high exchange rates, they are now dropping UME cut-off to accommodate their own failed children angry SMH.... So sad!
Point of correction!
Rich people pikin rarely fail O'Level (you won't agree if you live outside the country) and by calling them 'Rich' they can afford at least the private ones here if not abroad! Mind you, not all that came out with first class in our Uni scored 399/400 in Jamb.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by jolly94: 7:50pm On Aug 27, 2017
What is the main purpose for the introduction of utme? Is not for qualifying student student and reducing the burden for universities to admit student with academic quality and capacity for tertiary education. Those who don't meet the criteria of a particular course are given opportunities to fill the spaces for other courses to ensure that the issue of quota is taken care of.
Re: UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede by profudus(m): 9:12pm On Aug 27, 2017
I think this is a good policy because having 200 and above in UTME does not make a candidate better than his contemporaries in some cases. Some of those high scores may have been gotten through fraudulent means. More so, some who scored low may have been limited by some factors and could graduate with higher grades than some who scored higher in UTME. They should be given a chance ! The policy has a lot of positive educational and economic implications

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions / NUC Plans First Nigerian Universities Ranking In 14 Years / Uniabuja Part-time Form And Diploma Form Still On Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.