Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? (5474 Views)

My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? / Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? / The Bible Justified It That A Women Can Go To Church With Her Hair Uncovered! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Bongoman1: 5:00pm On Feb 20, 2010
This is one question i keep asking myself and men of God but the answers i get aren't contending enough to stop my quest to know. The answers are most times one-sided. this is it ''Is the military killings in war Justified'' I know the Ten Commandments say, "Thou shalt not kill" (Exodus 20:13, KJV). But the Bible also has stories about battles where lots of people were killed. Will God look down on people(army) who have killed someone(army) defending their Country?
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by nuclearboy(m): 3:25am On Feb 21, 2010
Maybe you ought to consider what the word "War" means, then ask yourself what you go to do at a warfield. Is "Soldiering" sinful? What does a soldier have as primary objective when joining the military? Wouldn't you say his main objective is the defence of the territorial integrity of his country? How does he defend that if threatened? By shaking hands on the battlefield or what?

True, the Bible says "Thou shalt not kill", but maybe you ought to consider the implication of not defending yourself when your own life is on the line.
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Tudor6(f): 4:58am On Feb 21, 2010
Some people rant *life is a war*. . .no shiiit
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 7:14am On Feb 21, 2010
I had a police officer as a friend in 2003 But d guy is late now.He was humble&very gentle&i asked him whether he has held d gun/shoot with it.He said he did once in his life in 2000 when they had confrontation with d OPC&they were being shot at.He said he shot&went into hidding.He said if he killed he wouldnt know.What then shall we call that? I agree with nuclearboy completely
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by jagunlabi(m): 8:46am On Feb 21, 2010
Was the fabled  war in "heaven" biblically justified?Why didn't yahweh say to lucifer, "Luke, you naughty boy!Will you stop that nonsense!", instead of starting a fullscale war?
To be a christian is to be confused for life.
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by nuclearboy(m): 12:39pm On Feb 21, 2010
jagunlabi:

Was the fabled war in "heaven" biblically justified?Why didn't yahweh say to lucifer, "Luke, you naughty boy!Will you stop that nonsense!", instead of starting a fullscale war?
To be a christian is to be confused for life.

If fable, then not worth the effort discussing it. If not, choice comes in and that was left to the parties involved. Oga, are all christians confused? all white men intelligent? all arabs muslim? all atheists reasonable? all aged people experienced?

Tudór:

Some people rant [size=13pt]*[b]life is a war[/b]*. [/size] . .no shiiit

A belief more reasonable and based on reality than say, the idea that belligerent "baseless" ranting and thinly veiled insults show intellect.
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Tudor6(f): 1:47pm On Feb 21, 2010
nuclearboy:

If fable, then not worth the effort discussing it. If not, choice comes in and that was left to the parties involved. Oga, are all christians confused? all white men intelligent? all arabs muslim? all atheists reasonable? all aged people experienced?

A belief more reasonable and based on reality than say, the idea that belligerent  "baseless" ranting and thinly veiled insults show intellect.
RANT RANT RANT
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by nuclearboy(m): 2:44pm On Feb 21, 2010
^^^ Go grow up and decide what sex you are then operate from that perspective. On your way, get a life and some work to do. Twill give you focus. You sound more vague than ever. Its not compulsory to click "reply", you know. It doesn't make you applicable; only reinforces the nuisance value. 1400 years of the above and you won't still get that you so desperately seek - respect. Try something else cos only a "---l" keeps doing the same thing and expecting different results.

RANT rant rant!? /? na by force to type?
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Tudor6(f): 3:45pm On Feb 21, 2010
nuclearboy:

^^^ Go grow up and decide what intimacy you are then operate from that perspective. On your way, get a life and some work to do. Twill give you focus. You sound more vague than ever. Its not compulsory to click "reply", you know. It doesn't make you applicable; only reinforces the nuisance value. 1400 years of the above and you won't still get that you so desperately seek - respect. Try something else cos only a "---l" keeps doing the same thing and expecting different results.

RANT rant rant!? /? na by force to type?
RANT RANT AND MORE RANT.

Why are you so angry? What eats youp up so badly?
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 21, 2010
Nuclearboy dnt get worked up.I dnt think there are pple dat are more confused than those who doesnt biliv in d existence of God on planet earth presently.Hence they view issues in confused state of mind.
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by blackcypha(m): 6:24pm On Feb 21, 2010
YES the poster shud read the OT books of leviticus and deut, this is one question xtians use logic to answer and shy away from,
it has been proven BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT DAT on different threads dat THE JEWISH OT GOD AND THE ISLAMIC GOD HAVE A LOT IN COMMON IN ??THIS REGARD
embarassed embarassed
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by blackcypha(m): 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2010
toba:

Nuclearboy dnt get worked up.I dnt think there are pple dat are more confused than those who doesnt biliv in d existence of God on planet earth presently.Hence they view issues in confused state of mind.
justb what do you mean by the above?
is it not ur bible dat has caused a lot of confusion dat resulted in over 33000 different sects in christianity alone?each one trying to interprete the bible in their own way but ending up confusing pple who in turn find justificstion to come out and start their own sects?
WAIT ! R U SAYING U R NOT CONFUSED WHY YOUR GOD WILL DEMAND PPLE TO BE KILLED FOR WORKING ON THE SABBATH DAY IN THE OT?
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by princekevo(m): 6:52pm On Feb 21, 2010
At poster,

you have reduced God to a robot who does not know that there is need for you to defend yourself.
If a man made law can set someone free for killing based on self defence, how would God not understand that the is need for you to defend yourself and your territory.
My brother if you let urself being killed by the enemies and did nothing to defend urself, you have urself to be blame. In fact you are guilty of foolishness and ignorance.
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Feb 21, 2010
If ordinary sperm as little as it is.Not even up to a table spoon,enters into a womans womb&forms a living being with all d systems i.e respiratory,excretory,digestive&reproductory all function in d being,which is supernatural,yet some folks still believes dat no SUPREME BEING is responsible for dis misery,i repeat they are d most confused pple created by d SUPREME BEING.
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by nuclearboy(m): 9:33pm On Feb 21, 2010
@Toba:

Thanks for your spermatozoa idea. I remember it starts with quite a large number of these fighting for the honor of fertilization (i.e. winning). So we end up saying that any human is a winner and won that race because spermatozoa are individuals and only one got there first.

Yet, we find some wannable "atheists"; whose only claim to atheism remains belligerent noise-making and anguished screams of more, harder I don't believe without concise understanding of what is not believed, saying life is about insulting groups of their peers and BETTERS simply because they belong to a belief system which showed their personal lapses in ways uncomfortable to them.

Such state that life is a parody, a smile, an insult, a dance of masquerades and fools rather than war. How the spermatozoa that became these won the first battle escapes me. As I said in another thread, its sad the the idiots are taking over
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 21, 2010
Nice nuclearboy.
Even if God allows d killing of pple in d OT bible,he created them in d first place,if he allows them to die no1 can challenge/question him.If i kill any1 d law of d land would be invoked against me,but no1 can fight God/take him to court.God is d supreme being&unquestionable.
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Tudor6(f): 3:27am On Feb 22, 2010
nuclearboy:

@Toba:

Thanks for your spermatozoa idea. I remember it starts with quite a large number of these fighting for the honor of fertilization (i.e. winning). So we end up saying that any human is a winner and won that race because spermatozoa are individuals and only one got there first.

Yet, we find some wannable "atheists"; whose only claim to atheism remains belligerent noise-making and anguished screams of more, harder I don't believe without concise understanding of what is not believed, saying life is about insulting groups of their peers and BETTERS simply because they belong to a belief system which showed their personal lapses in ways uncomfortable to them.

Such state that life is a parody, a smile, an insult, a dance of masquerades and fools rather than war. How the spermatozoa that became these won the first battle escapes me. As I said in another thread, its sad the the idiots are taking over
MORE RANT. . , *tsk tsk tsk*

Tell us why you're really angry. . .cry cry baby.
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by bawomolo(m): 4:13am On Feb 22, 2010
toba:

Nice nuclearboy.
Even if God allows d killing of pple in d OT bible,he created them in d first place,if he allows them to die no1 can challenge/question him.If i kill any1 d law of d land would be invoked against me,but no1 can fight God/take him to court.God is d supreme being&unquestionable.

awww talk about convenience. i brought you into this world so i can take you out anytime.
don't question me!!!!
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 5:19am On Feb 22, 2010
toba:

Nice nuclearboy.

this , more than anything else, highlights the duplicity of the fanatics who spend so much time in Islam for muslims

it is a very twisted mind that will go about calling Prophet Mohammad a murderer and then turn round and give this crap as a justification for the genocide in the OT

lets see what other ridiculous things this hypocrie will come up with

dawoda nackson once defended rape of female captives- apparently there's nothing wrong with forced marriages as long as you shave their heads and let them mourn their familis for one month. tongue
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by jagunlabi(m): 10:08am On Feb 22, 2010
bawomolo:

awww talk about convenience. i brought you into this world so i can take you out anytime.
don't question me!!!!
"Na me create dem, na me kill dem."
Now that can only come from a deity after my heart.No wonder yahwito has to threaten and coerce in order to find someone to, atleast, pretend to love him.It is not the most easy thing in the world to love such an asshole.He is what he is, the poor sod.
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by sarmy(m): 10:54am On Feb 22, 2010
jagunlabi:

"Na me create dem, na me kill dem."
Now that can only come from a deity after my heart.No wonder yahwito has to threaten and coerce in order to find someone to, atleast, pretend to love him.It is not the most easy thing in the world to love such an asshole.He is what he is, the poor sod.

I thought you believe in God, why this above statement in bold, I used to follow your reasoning but maybe I didn't get u.
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Agbenyiess(m): 1:37pm On Feb 22, 2010
I don't think following an aguement and allowing temper to flare is necessary. whether you believe that Jesus is Lord or not, ? or that God is a fable or not? it doesn't change a thing. When their is war and you are a soldier, if u like defend yourself; if you like stand until you are hurried out of this life to eternity. that is for you to decide too. All i know is that, you can't add to God or take from him. He is God and nothing can change that.

It is only now that we are here in this world that we can say whatever we feel like saying and believe anything you want, and feel fulfilled or justified, One thing i know is that, heaven is real and hell is real,  God has giving us all we need to live a godly life including 'military kind of life', decide what you want and follow through. Remember! You have one life to live, it is important if you make the most of it. embarassed
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2010
bawomolo:

don't question me!!!!

Thats it dnt question me. Its a case of hire and fire

Where i work presently, i signed an agreement to abide by the rules of the firm. Once i disobey, the mgt can fire me or get me any purnishment that suits my offence. Same applies to God
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by jagunlabi(m): 2:53pm On Feb 22, 2010
sarmy:

I thought you believe in God, why this above statement in bold, I used to follow your reasoning but maybe I didn't get u.
Then you are wrong about me.While i accept this reality to have a creator of some sort, i do not subscribe to the manmade biblical caricature called yahweh, and i never have.So you did not know me well up to this point.
To say that a bumbling fool of a deity like yahweh can even create i tiny fraction of this universe, let alone it's entirety, is a humongous blasphemy.The jewish deity is nothing more and nothing less than a creator wannabee, an impostor that is not even worthy of wiping the sole of the shoes of the true creator(who is unknown and remains unknown in it's purest form).
Yahweh is a man created baby caricature, and a spoilt one at that.I did not make that claim, the bible did.
Now, you know me. wink smiley cool
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Bongoman1: 3:06pm On Feb 22, 2010
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 22, 2010
oyb:

this , more than anything else, highlights the duplicity of the fanatics who spend so much time in Islam for muslims

it is a very twisted mind that will go about calling Prophet Mohammad a murderer and then turn round and give this crap as a justification for the genocide in the OT

lets see what other ridiculous things this hypocrie will come up with

dawoda nackson once defended despoil of female captives- apparently there's nothing wrong with forced marriages as long as you shave their heads and let them mourn their familis for one month. tongue

Let me help ur deluded soul. Now the OP restricted is post to the war sanctioned by God in the OT bible, which God used military style to operate throughout. But in the NT and since the era of Christ, God ceased in the use of Military style and christ reigned on earth preaching love and tolerance as told to him by God who sent him

My challenge with moslems and mohammad is these, Since mohammad claimed to be the comforter jesus sent, how come he practised the opposite of what jesus did?

I dnt biliv its proper to to do the reverse of what ur master dids
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 22, 2010
Bongo_man:

I[b] thought Jesus advocated peace and said no to war and killings of all forms(WAR), I remembered Peter was blamed by Jesus for chopping off the ear of a soldier with the sword.[/b]
And what remains the faith of the US Christian Armies killing other christian Armies in battles.They should be brothers i suppose and not enemies as war tagged it, does other believers killing same believers oppositions in war makes the killing a balanced initiative? Am kinda confused and still pondering.

U re correct If u checked my above post u will read my post about jesus. But U cant call the us army christian army. There are differences btw a political war and religious war. A religious war is what happens in Nigeria when moslems,christian and Traditional bilivers clash. But when countries engage in war its not religious cus in a country u have atheist, moslems xtians etc in the army so its vioded of religious war.

During the last boko haram crises in Nigeria, The police was shown on Aljazeera tv killing the captured boko haram sect members, That killing is not religious since we have moslems and xtians as a member of the force. When u defend ur territory, its diff 4rm religious war.

Hope u re no longer confused
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Feb 22, 2010
toba:

Let me help your deluded soul. Now the OP restricted is post to the war sanctioned by God in the OT bible, which God used military style to operate throughout. But in the NT and since the era of Christ, God ceased in the use of Military style and christ reigned on earth preaching love and tolerance as told to him by God who sent him

My challenge with moslems and mohammad is these, Since mohammad claimed to be the comforter jesus sent, how come he practised the opposite of what jesus did?

I dnt biliv its proper to to do the reverse of what your master dids

typical confusion - i thought jesus was God - the God that never changes, the god that is 'good all the time' . your duplicity and confusion is unsurprising - you lot are disgusting switching between the OT and NT like a switch - consistency is far from you.

God is love - until haiti - when God is punishing unbelievers - keep running in circles - your unchanging god sanctioned rape, genocide , and total annihilation of unbeleivers

keep in mind that the OT is from bc to the beginning of time (millenia )- while the nt is from bc to now (barely 2000 years)
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 22, 2010
oyb:

typical confusion - i thought jesus was God - the God that never changes, the god that is 'good all the time' . your duplicity and confusion is unsurprising - you lot are disgusting switching between the OT and NT like a switch - consistency is far from you.

God remains unchanged but passionate. Jesus remains God till eternity, cus Jesus was the appearance of God in Human Flesh who lived a normal life like evry normal individual. If any1 changes his evil ways God will in turn change to the fellow its simple. God operated in the OT according to their Evil ways but when they repented they enjoyed. Deuteronomy 14 says 'if' i.e do well and get well, do bad and reap bad. Jesus affirmed same principle by warning pple to repent fron their bad ways.

God is the same as Jesus. U re only confused cus u re still in d dark and in contention for evalasting heat in hell

oyb:

God is love - until haiti - when God is punishing unbelievers - keep running in circles - your unchanging god sanctioned despoil, genocide , and total annihilation of unbeleivers

keep in mind that the OT is from bc to the beginning of time (millenia )- while the nt is from bc to now (barely 2000 years)

God is love from everlasting to everlasting. The principle of God is Do well and reap well. God will never punish any1 unjustly. The same laws of the land must be obeyed so as the laws of God.commit crime u go to jail, sin against God get purnished
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by bawomolo(m): 5:05pm On Feb 22, 2010
toba:

Where i work presently, i signed an agreement to abide by the rules of the firm. Once i disobey, the mgt can fire me or get me any purnishment that suits my offence. Same applies to God

God seems to run earth like the ruthless boss of a sweat shop. This is the same God that speaks of agape love. talk about leading by example, oh wait
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 22, 2010
toba:

God remains unchanged but passionate. Jesus remains God till eternity, cus Jesus was the appearance of God in Human Flesh who lived a normal life like evry normal individual. If any1 changes his evil ways God will in turn change to the fellow its simple. God operated in the OT according to their Evil ways but when they repented they enjoyed. Deuteronomy 14 says 'if' i.e do well and get well, do bad and reap bad. Jesus affirmed same principle by warning pple to repent fron their bad ways.

God is the same as Jesus. U re only confused cus u re still in d dark and in contention for evalasting heat in hell

God is love from everlasting to everlasting. The principle of God is Do well and reap well. God will never punish any1 unjustly. The same laws of the land must be obeyed so as the laws of God.commit crime u go to jail, sin against God get purnished

same as always - when confronted with their confusion , meaningless blather . better christians than you have come out and said it as it is - they do not understand /cannot reconcile the god of the OT.

so are you implying that all the people of haiti 'sinned against god'?

God is the same as Jesus.

christ reigned on earth preaching love and tolerance as told to him by God who sent him

no wonder you spend so much time attempting to knock Islam - must be hard when you're so confused

later they will come and be disturbing us with 'our god forgives all and other stories'
Re: Is Military Killing In War Bible Justified? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 22, 2010
bawomolo:

God seems to run earth like the ruthless boss of a sweat shop.  This is the same God that speaks of agape love. talk about leading by example,  oh wait
If God were ruthless,he wouldnt av spared ur life till now,he would av dealt with u+other atheists mercilessly.But wouldnt do dat now,until d time given to u to change lapses.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Many Children Of God Are Poor / Is It Right For A Christian To Drink Palm Wine? / Paypal £100, Right Answer!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.