Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote (28659 Views)

Young Billionaire Who Was Richer Than Dangote 8 Month Ago Become Poor / I Am Richer Than Dangote – Ghanaian (Dwarf) Shortest Man Speaks / Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by NASTYNASOSO: 1:13am On Aug 31, 2017
PearlStreet:
Dangote only thrives in monopolies where he controls production, distribution and exchange.

The tactics used in Cement and Sugar can't work in this instance. He tried it with Noodles and it backfired.

The raw materials are not in his hands, they're in the hands of the farmers and he's already failed.

Let him go and get the FG to give him exclusive rights over tomatoes na.

HMMMMMMMMM

YEYE TALK THE OP NEEDS TO KNOW THAT THIS PLANT IS OWNED BY DANGOTES BROTHER SANI.
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 31, 2017
nwoke37:

my guy i think you misunderstood what he said. He meant there has to be technological advancement for agriculture to have the positive impact we want on the economy.

Oh alright then.
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by jpphilips(m): 11:39am On Aug 31, 2017
nairametrics:

READ MORE: https://nairametrics.com/why-dangotes-failed-paste-factory-should-give-buhari-more-headaches-than-dangote/

First, it is unreasonable to place agriculture in tandem with oil let alone suggest the later as a substitute, it's the kinda logic that oozes out from an unintelligent minister of trades and investment.
Agriculture to feed ourselves? absolutely!!, Agriculture to lower our agro imports? absolutely!!, but agriculture to contribute forex to the federation account? that's a pipe dream that a child will not take seriously.
I say so because Nigeria has no significant comparative advantage over our global competitors in that regards, by implication, Nigeria of today, tomorrow and forever, regardless of how much we sink in will struggle to retain any global market share, so why the waste?

Nigeria has it's global comparative advantage in oil and gas, over the years, we have invested and fine tuned our throughput strategies to beat our global competitors and so far, we are not doing badly, we have succeeded in lowering our oil production cost which places us on a huge advantage over Shale producers in North America, Central African producers and some Asian producers, in terms of cost of oil production, we are competing quite closely with the Arabian peninsular guys, which is not bad at all from a global perspective.

In summary, I will like this government to forget the agricultural temptation and focus on maximizing our global advantage in the oil and gas industry, that way, we can export commodities that will contribute forex to our federation account, why spend billions on rail transportation on borrowed funds when we can use the same funds for a new NLNG train to maximize our gas export potentials?

Why are we not diversifying with the Brass LNG project? Thank gracious Dangote is building a new refinery and several more of it's like to come up, what is the stake of the FG in those ground breaking accomplishments? once we satisfy local consumption, the next stage will be export and the downstream oil and gas export market isn't doing badly. we need a minister for trade and investment that thinks not a decorated oracle of the republic, I get so pissed reading this Agro nonsense everytime.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by 400billionman: 2:00pm On Aug 31, 2017
adisabarber:
The only solution to our agricultural problem is guaranteed market. If you have 5 million tonnes of tomatoes, bring them to the government and we will buy at a price updated weekly. If you have 20 tonnes of cocoa, bring. If you have 500 broilers, bring. This will encourage people to farm and not be scared of what to do with their harvest. There was a time a lot of people went into fish farming but most lest because they end up begging market women to buy. If I know a processing plant where I can get a fair deal, I will farm and at the right time I will take my harvest there and collect my money. Even if the profit is small, I will manage it.

Setting up a market where government buys up agricultural produce from farmers is an innovative idea. Government can export later or sell to big companies who will use it as raw materials or export them.

This is one of the reasons why young people need to take over governance. Our brains are still sharp.
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by kabaka1: 9:14pm On Aug 31, 2017
bobnazzygon:
Everything in Nigeria is not working as it suppose to be because of inadequate planning.

when see too much thatch can easily steal and get away with d crime, so why crack ur head when got more u bee kudos to our useless leaders who have us all up in da name of leadership and unity
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by kabaka1: 9:37pm On Aug 31, 2017
400billionman:

Setting up a market where government buys up agricultural produce from farmers is an innovative idea. Government can export later or sell to big companies who will use it as raw materials or export them.

This is one of the reasons why young people need to take over governance. Our brains are still sharp.

very Good point there. these old daft in govt should just hand iver govt to young minds with sharp and innovative ideas
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 01, 2017
adisabarber:
You probably don't understand how it works but let me summarize it. Every responsible government has food reserves. If there is surplus, they buy up the excess so that prices won't crash. If there is scarcity they open up the reserves and sell to prevent prices going too high. Please read about government food reserves and please don't be quick to blame people that post on public forums without first trying to properly consider what they have posted.

Bro, somebody had answered this your analysis. IT CANNOT WORK HERE. Corruption here is very high. The govt valuer & produce merchants will collude to over value items. Govt will buy items worth 2M at 5M from produce merchant. The 3M difference will now be shared between them while govt lost 3M. In some cases , nothing would be supplied but govt would be made to pay. Due process office legalised procurement corruption & inflates contract cost. You have to settle them to scale through. Oil subsidy deals is beyond here. The oil importers & DPR & NNPC officials at terminals are partners. Bros, it cannot work here. Every young man wants to become Dangote or Otedola.

1 Like

Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:30am On May 13, 2018
SOLMICHAEL:
Everything is wrong with this government. Nothing else contributed to this moribund economy than the incompetency of our so called leaders.
are you not a leader
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:31am On May 13, 2018
NtoAkwaIbom:
I keep telling people Agriculture cannot do jack to resuscitate any economy rada.. Technological advancement is key
You spend a full year growing a big hectre of land, but on selling everything you cant even last for 2 months with the proceeds.

A company spends 1 yr manufacturing and selling phones, shoes, modern wears, cars, weapons, etc and smiles to the bank while paying salaries to employ others.

If we keep importing all the heavy duty vehicles we use in planting, and we hv no resources to fix them, we find out that the cost we expend on capital takes lots of yrs to cover.. But if we were to produve this heavy duty vehicles... Then the stres that the importation of same, puts on the naira will be reduced, and it will be far more affordable to farmers thereby y reducing their overhead cost and at the same time increasing their profits
Rome was not built in a day. Crawl before flying
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:33am On May 13, 2018
Indirectly we depend on dango the for everything in this country
everything like what. Torch light nko
Wheel barrow
Spanner
Think before talking
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:34am On May 13, 2018
fratermathy:
Nigerians should pray that this country doesn't split up. Because if it does and Dangote faces only the North, the economy of the splinter nations may be in shambles.

We should be more enterprising and have industries that rival Dangote's in order to avoid over dependence on him.
how do we depend on him.
He is worth 2 trillion. Nigeria is worth 80 trillion. Do you know what dependence means. How many businesses does he even have in north
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:35am On May 13, 2018
haywhy1026:
If Dangote with the resources he has and the market Nigeria possess can still fail in a micro sector of Agriculture then why is it easy for the minister of Agriculture to always open his mouth and advise the youth to go back to farm without any augumenting policy to encourage the sustainability of the real system.
keep waiting for policy you here
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:41am On May 13, 2018
adisabarber:
The only solution to our agricultural problem is guaranteed market.
We have a guaranteed market. 200 million hungry mouths
What you're asking for is subsidy and it will backfire.
Cos farmers will overproduce since its govt money.

If you have 5 million tonnes of tomatoes, bring them to the government and we will buy at a price updated weekly
And you think anything govt will work. When we only need 1 million tons yet ppl producing 5 million?
It is clear we can't produce efficiently enough to compete with China or Italy
We are lazy

. If you have 20 tonnes of cocoa, bring. If you have 500 broilers, bring. This will encourage people to farm and not be scared of what to do with their harvest. There was a time a lot of people went into fish farming but most lest because they end up begging market women to buy. If I know a processing plant where I can get a fair deal, I will farm and at the right time I will take my harvest there and collect my money. Even if the profit is small, I will manage it.
what stopped then from setting up processing plants. All looking for lazy work
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:43am On May 13, 2018
WebSurfer:

You really think if not for monopoly only dangote has the guts to do this?
where is the monopoly. Monopoly in what
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:44am On May 13, 2018
gbadexy:
The solution to the problem is restructuring and resource control.
I've been hearing the need to diversify to agriculture since my secondary school days over 2 decades ago but it's just a lip service and mantra successive governments tout but no one really seems to do anything drastic about it.
maybe each state would encourage and ensure the success of such investments in their domain so as to get revenue from it.
they will only restructure the looting
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by Yankee101: 4:23pm On May 17, 2018
1. There is no scarcity of tomatoes in Northern Nigeria. Actually a major % is lost due to lack of storage.
2. There is scarcity of fair pricing
3. They were ripping off farmers and farmers decided against trucking their goods all the way to the factory only to be cleaned out at ridiculous prices.
4. It's more profitable transporting them to Lagos and lose some on the way but end up making fair profit.

Get your facts right.

Cement is more expensive here than Ghana even after you discount the price of power. Not minding that a gas pipeline was constructed specially all the way to Obajana, the mining rights they got are ridiculous and you pay upfront for each trailer load of cement in advance which leaves money in the bank acruing interest.

The entire North produces tomatoes that waste and it's not profitable to transport them to the factory in Kano.
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by Kingtomato641(m): 8:26am On Apr 04, 2021
How To Start Tomato Paste Production Business Here In Nigeria
Re: Why Dangote’s Failed Paste Factory Should Give Buhari More Headache Than Dangote by samsard(m): 11:47am On Apr 04, 2021
PearlStreet:
Dangote only thrives in monopolies where he controls production, distribution and exchange.

The tactics used in Cement and Sugar can't work in this instance. He tried it with Noodles and it backfired.

The raw materials are not in his hands, they're in the hands of the farmers and he's already failed.

Let him go and get the FG to give him exclusive rights over tomatoes na.
This monopoly talk is balderdash. There's more than one cement manufacturer in Nigeria and they're available where I live.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Spirit Fire Consumes Sokoto, Takes 43 Lives, Destroys N50m Worth Of Property / What's The Best Bank For Savings Of Business Income? / Increase In Fuel Price Crashes Naira To N345/$1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.