Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,307 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife (3592 Views)

See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? / Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by RuthlessLeader(m): 11:14am On Jul 28, 2018
Amberon11:
God didn't show that he wanted men to marry one wife only by creating only Eve for Adam? Did God instruct Jacob it any person to marry more than one wife?

David despite being a friend of God couldn't save himself , Jesus Christ still had to come save all the saints, that's I meant by that statement.

There are several verses of the Bible where God instructed on marrying one wife only. Find them and stop deceiving yourself.
If God wants man to marry one wife, why did he not stop Jacob?
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Amberon11: 11:16am On Jul 28, 2018
If God didn't want Adam to eat the fruit,
why did he not stop him?
RuthlessLeader:

If God wants man to marry one wife, why did he not stop Jacob?
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by RuthlessLeader(m): 11:55am On Jul 28, 2018
Amberon11:
If God didn't want Adam to eat the fruit,
why did he not stop him?
I don't know. That is why I am an atheist. How can an omnipotent and omniscient god who is all loving allow his child to do something like that?
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Amberon11: 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2018
There is something called free will and God doesn't interfere with it. That is why people like you spend hours insulting him everyday and yet you're still alive. That is why you can go blow up a place and kill people, it is your choice. That he allows all these happen doesn't by any stretch of immagination disprove his existence.
RuthlessLeader:

I don't know. That is why I am an atheist. How can an omnipotent and omniscient god who is all loving allow his child to do something like that?
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by RuthlessLeader(m): 10:24pm On Jul 28, 2018
Amberon11:
There is something called free will and God doesn't interfere with it. That is why people like you spend hours insulting him everyday and yet you're still alive. That is why you can go blow up a place and kill people, it is your choice. That he allows all these happen doesn't by any stretch of immagination disprove his existence.
Free will? So because of free will, God allowed Adam to doom all of us? cheesy

Would you allow a rapist to go to the school your daughter goes to so that he can lure and kidnap her all because of free will? Because that is what God did by letting Satan enter the garden to tempt eve, you know?
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Amberon11: 1:06am On Jul 29, 2018
Would you allow your house boy insult you every single day for long hours while doing nothing about it? That is what God takes from you.
RuthlessLeader:

Free will? So because of free will, God allowed Adam to doom all of us? cheesy

Would you allow a rapist to go to the school your daughter goes to so that he can lure and kidnap her all because of free will? Because that is what God did by letting Satan enter the garden to tempt eve, you know?

Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by RuthlessLeader(m): 7:49am On Jul 29, 2018
Amberon11:
Would you allow your house boy insult you every single day for long hours while doing nothing about it? That is what God takes from you.
What? shocked

Didn't God say we were his children? Why would a loving father allow a rapist near his naive children to be easily lured away and kidnapped?
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Lukuluku69(m): 10:18am On Jul 29, 2018
asuustrike2009:

Abraham didn't marry three wives. He married one : Sarah. The latter two : Hagar and Keturah were not married, they were concubines. meanwhile, Keturah became a concubine after Sarah's death. The affair with Hagar was a result of the impatience in every man today... Of that he broke relationship with upon counsel by His wife also who instigated the move at first.

Jesus Christ didn't come to marry. He was a man on a mission. The circumstance of his mission or life's purpose does not permit him to marry. He'd be a thwarting of purpose to have married.
Paul likewise, it wasn't fitted with the kind of ministry he did and how sold out he was to God or has devoted himself. .
He recommended not to marry, not condemned marriage. in that scripture, he clearly states that He speaks by permission not by commandment. permission talks about the revelation he received that by liberty one could choose to abstain like himself did and not be condemned or judged wrong.. By commandment speaks about what God ordained with man from the beginning(for this purpose shall a man..... ).
either ways, by permission or commandment, one is not found to be outside of God's purpose. The reply of Jesus bears witness to this in Matt. 19.
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Lukuluku69(m): 10:19am On Jul 29, 2018
asuustrike2009:

Abraham didn't marry three wives. He married one : Sarah. The latter two : Hagar and Keturah were not married, they were concubines. meanwhile, Keturah became a concubine after Sarah's death. The affair with Hagar was a result of the impatience in every man today... Of that he broke relationship with upon counsel by His wife also who instigated the move at first.

Jesus Christ didn't come to marry. He was a man on a mission. The circumstance of his mission or life's purpose does not permit him to marry. He'd be a thwarting of purpose to have married.
Paul likewise, it wasn't fitted with the kind of ministry he did and how sold out he was to God or has devoted himself. .
He recommended not to marry, not condemned marriage. in that scripture, he clearly states that He speaks by permission not by commandment. permission talks about the revelation he received that by liberty one could choose to abstain like himself did and not be condemned or judged wrong.. By commandment speaks about what God ordained with man from the beginning(for this purpose shall a man..... ).
either ways, by permission or commandment, one is not found to be outside of God's purpose. The reply of Jesus bears witness to this in Matt. 19.

I like intelligent replies. This above ^^^^ is one. But I have some issues with. Abraham, a Prophet and Friend of God can never take a concubine not to talk of concubines! The Bible clearly recorded that Abraham took a wife every time the name Hagar and Keturah came up and I will show you now. You can fact checked any references I give in my post.
1.16:3 And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife. Genesis
2.25:1 Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah. Genesis
Now, in the Bible reading further down, you will see references made to both noble Ladies as Concubines. You can't be a wife and a concubine to the same man. Those concubine references were made by bigot Jewish hands simply to show that they were the only blessed Children of Abraham.
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Nobody: 10:22am On Jul 29, 2018
Lukuluku69:

I like intelligent replies. This above ^^^^ is one. But I have some issues with. Abraham, a Prophet and Friend of God can never take a concubine not to talk of concubines! The Bible clearly recorded that Abraham took a wife every time the name Hagar and Keturah came up and I will show you now. You can fact checked any references I give in my post.
1.16:3 And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife. Genesis
2.25:1 Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah. Genesis
Now, in the Bible reading further down, you will see references made to both noble Ladies as Concubines. You can't be a wife and a concubine to the same man. Those concubine references were made by bigot Jewish hands simply to show that they were the only blessed Children of Abraham.
Kk
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Lukuluku69(m): 3:35pm On Jul 29, 2018
Amberon11:
Abraham was Jewish. Nothing you say can change that

It is not what I said but what the cold hard fact of history says. The dude was never a Jew as you can't name him after a grandson's name\alias
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Lukuluku69(m): 3:50pm On Jul 29, 2018
There are excess women in the World, what exactly is the Christian Doctrine concerning the excess?
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Amberon11: 5:16pm On Jul 29, 2018
Abraham was a Jew. Any other thing is not fact but fiction.
Lukuluku69:

It is not what I said but what the cold hard fact of history says. The dude was never a Jew as you can't name him after a grandson's name\alias
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Lukuluku69(m): 7:12pm On Jul 29, 2018
Amberon11:
Abraham was a Jew. Any other thing is not fact but fiction.

14:13 And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram. Genesis

The bible says he was Hebrew!
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Amberon11: 8:29pm On Jul 29, 2018
He was Hebrew but his religion was Judaism as the religion of the hebrews is known today as Judaism. The Jews trace their origins to the ancient hebrews so yes Abraham was a Jew.

It seems you have no knowledge of what you speak about.
Lukuluku69:

14:13 And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram. Genesis

The bible says he was Hebrew!

Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Lukuluku69(m): 10:41pm On Aug 01, 2018
Amberon11:
He was Hebrew but his religion was Judaism as the religion of the hebrews is known today as Judaism. The Jews trace their origins to the ancient hebrews so yes Abraham was a Jew.

It seems you have no knowledge of what you speak about.

Now listen before you throw words around about someone being knowledgeable or not. The Bible called Abraham a Hebrew: meaning a man or someone from beyond the River Euphrates which is the Plains of Mesopotamia in present day Iraq. Do Jews ever have their dwellings in Mesopotamia pre-Abrahmic era?

I know it is a tough job weaning folks like you from years of indoctrination. The best we could is to lay the facts on the Table and hope "perchance they will reflect"
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Amberon11: 9:11am On Aug 02, 2018
Go educate yourself before spewing thrash. A quick Google search will cure your ignorance.

Wean yourself from your God-obsession first dumbo.
Lukuluku69:

Now listen before you throw words around about someone being knowledgeable or not. The Bible called Abraham a Hebrew: meaning a man or someone from beyond the River Euphrates which is the Plains of Mesopotamia in present day Iraq. Do Jews ever have their dwellings in Mesopotamia pre-Abrahmic era?

I know it is a tough job weaning folks like you from years of indoctrination. The best we could is to lay the facts on the Table and hope "perchance they will reflect"

Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Lukuluku69(m): 10:36pm On Aug 02, 2018
Amberon11:
Go educate yourself before spewing thrash. A quick Google search will cure your ignorance.

Wean yourself from your God-obsession first dumbo.
I guess I must have touched a nerve for you to have use the word Dumbo. I will let that pass. Google? A whole lot of Research were done before Google and people are Still doing that.

My God-obsession? We all are obsessed with something. Thank God I am obsessed with Him. You know it is kinda funny for someone who tagged someone with a name that came into existence some 100 years after the person lived. Discerning readers can tell who the Dumbo really is!
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 18, 2019
ScepticalPyrrho:
The Bible cannot speak.

But Jesus according to the Bible stories implied that a man shouldn't take more than one wife. He didn't take a wife in his short life time. But the culture of his people allowed polygamy. Majority of his kinsmen also rejected his claims of being a god-child.

I don't know why those who claim they emulate the Bible's Jesus character are keeping wife or wives for themselves and still expect to be called "Jesus-like"(christians).

Even "Paul" did not have a wife. Rather, he advised against having any.

So, doyinbaby, the right question should be whether a Christian should have a wife or husband at all.

Oil dey your head.
You hit the nail on the head.
Re: Can A Christian Man Marry More Than One Wife by Nobody: 7:43am On Jan 19, 2019
doyinbaby:
Did the bible say specifically say Christian men should not marry more than one wife
YES it does! If you believe the Genesis account of creation you'll notice that God created ONE man and ONE woman,that's the standard the Creator set for humans to have PEACE.Genesis 2:23,24
After Adam and Eve asked God to step aside and allow them make decisions on what's GOOD and what's BAD,many of their children started doing things in contrary to God's standard(Genesis 4:19) but God allowed them until the arrival of HIS son who now directed all those who wants to live forever in PEACE back to the standard God set IN THE BEGINNING! Matthew 19:3-9
Notice that Jesus kept emphasizing on THE BEGINNING! wink wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation / Is This How Religion Will Die? / Should Women Be Ordained To Head Churches And Mosques?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.