Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette (10782 Views)

The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? / 3 Key Uses Of Microsoft Excel At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by BusinessInsider: 3:14pm On Aug 31, 2017
Feel free to add to the list. Read more at www.thecareertimes.com

Here are our top 12 office no-nos (if you plan on having a successful career).

Taking office supplies home. They are small things, and you think it doesn’t really matter, but imagine if everyone took something home..soon there’d be nothing left at all! Plus, it’s outright stealing.

Eating smelly food at your desk. Everyone loves a good efo riro, but maybe it’s not such a good idea to eat smelly food in an enclosed space where others are trying to concentrate. Try the cafeteria.

Rummaging through your colleagues' desk/ bag etc. Aside from the fact that you could be accused of stealing, it’s just rude to go through other people’s things.

Not everyone shares your taste in music, so keep it down. Invest in a good pair of headphones if you need music to concentrate.

Staying fresh. It’s very difficult to hold a conversation with a person who has bad breath. Do your colleagues a favour and always have mints to hand.

Taking off your shoes!!!. I can recall a time a colleague of mine took off her shoes in the office. The smell was so bad everyone started complaining, and it was super embarrassing for her. Save yourself the embarrassment and just don’t take off your shoes in the office.

Constantly borrowing. Can I use your pen? Can I have some paper? Can I use your calculator? What time is it? Do you have chewing gum? There are some people who are ALWAYS borrowing things. Don’t be that person.

Stealing people’s food/ drinks from the fridge. There are people who actually steal their colleagues lunch from the office fridge. Seriously. What kind of person steals someone else’s lunch? What if the food is contaminated? Plus if you get caught, just imagine the disgrace…they’ll think there’s something seriously wrong with you.

Gossiping about co workers. The thing with gossip is that it always comes back to haunt you. That person gossiping with you, is the very same person who will go on to gossip about you.

Complaining. No matter how bad you think you have it at work, there are thousands of people out there who are desperate for ANY job at all

Taking angry phone calls. Yes, the mechanic messed up your car, but maybe screaming at him in the middle of the office is not such a good idea. Always take your personal calls outside.

Lying to get ahead. The truth ALWAYS comes out.

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by KendrickAyomide: 7:03am On Sep 01, 2017
Go and tell Nigerian Bankers and civil Servants .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by Nobody: 7:03am On Sep 01, 2017
You have said it all Op.. The recent war that happened in my firm last week was all because of that "banana fall on you" music

We should learn to take other people's interest at heart before we do anything.

Home Of Entrepreneurs

2 Likes

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by COvo(m): 7:04am On Sep 01, 2017
Foorking your colleague in the bathroom ���
Hehehe
People will come for my head now.
Lemme run
3rd to Comment
Highest so far
Happy new month, people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by Tydollasign(m): 7:04am On Sep 01, 2017
smiley
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by solepager(m): 7:04am On Sep 01, 2017
[quote author=BusinessInsider post=60002854]Feel free to add to the list. Read more at www.thecareertimes.com

Taking office supplies home. They are small things, and you think it doesn’t really matter, but imagine if everyone took something home..soon there’d be nothing left at all! Plus, it’s outright stealing.

Eating smelly food at your desk. Everyone loves a good efo riro, but maybe it’s not such a good idea to eat smelly food in an enclosed space where others are trying to concentrate. Try the cafeteria.

Rummaging through your colleagues' desk/ bag etc. Aside from the fact that you could be accused of stealing, it’s just rude to go through other people’s things.

Not everyone shares your taste in music, so keep it down. Invest in a good pair of headphones if you need music to concentrate.

Staying fresh. It’s very difficult to hold a conversation with a person who has bad breath. Do your colleagues a favour and always have mints to hand.

Taking off your shoes!!!. I can recall a time a colleague of mine took off her shoes in the office. The smell was so bad everyone started complaining, and it was super embarrassing for her. Save yourself the embarrassment and just don’t take off your shoes in the office.

Constantly borrowing. Can I use your pen? Can I have some paper? Can I use your calculator? What time is it? Do you have chewing gum? There are some people who are ALWAYS borrowing things. Don’t be that person.

Stealing people’s food/ drinks from the fridge. There are people who actually steal their colleagues lunch from the office fridge. Seriously. What kind of person steals someone else’s lunch? What if the food is contaminated? Plus if you get caught, just imagine the disgrace…they’ll think there’s something seriously wrong with you.

Gossiping about co workers. The thing with gossip is that it always comes back to haunt you. That person gossiping with you, is the very same person who will go on to gossip about you.

Complaining. No matter how bad you think you have it at work, there are thousands of people out there who are desperate for ANY job at all

Taking angry phone calls. Yes, the mechanic messed up your car, but maybe screaming at him in the middle of the office is not such a good idea. Always take your personal calls outside.

Lying to get ahead. The truth ALWAYS comes out.[/quote
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by centoke30(m): 7:04am On Sep 01, 2017
For all those guys acting so serious n arrogant wen attending to their fellow guys in d office and be acting super gentle when a beautiful lady comes to their table, how work? grin

15 Likes

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by barnas5real: 7:05am On Sep 01, 2017
I think you are write[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by flyca: 7:05am On Sep 01, 2017
My colleague is currently eating Durian angry

NB: Durian is a fleshy fruit mostly found in Asia. It had a sweet taste but known for its pungent odour.

1 Like

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by AwesomeDuru(m): 7:05am On Sep 01, 2017
Ftc baby.

I dedicate this to all the rams that will be slaughtered today.
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by flyca: 7:06am On Sep 01, 2017
90% of my colleagues have very very bad breath!
And worse of all, they show signs of discomfort when I puff small deodorant. One says deodorant smell is choky angry

Please tell Buhari to create lucrative professional jobs, I wanna come home cry
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by Genea(f): 7:07am On Sep 01, 2017
I hate the lying and gossip part...

1 Like

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by Nobody: 7:07am On Sep 01, 2017
banging your secretary nkor that's for the boss

1 Like

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by Tattooboy: 7:09am On Sep 01, 2017
The taste in music tho. My colleagues do beg me to play my old skul selections. Killing Me Softly by Fugees, Eve's Gotta Man, Joe's I wanna Know and so on are on this playlist.

4 Likes

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 01, 2017
Really good post, even as I am not done with school yet, I still gained one or two things

1 Like

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by johnshagb(m): 7:11am On Sep 01, 2017
Salient points

1 Like

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 01, 2017
If you take bold steps like me you don't need this bullshittt

Check my profile
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by lollmaolol(m): 7:11am On Sep 01, 2017
BusinessInsider:

They do this a lot at ........

Let me just negodu
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by oshiiteoku: 7:12am On Sep 01, 2017
so so true

1 Like

Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by kufre2010: 7:14am On Sep 01, 2017
Do not fat in the office. Many people are in the habit of releasing gas anywhere, fatting in the office may disorganise work.
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by ActionsShure: 7:15am On Sep 01, 2017
Doom dooom dunn
Dun dun dun dooom
Dunadun dum dum dum dum dum
Duna dum
Tana tina noom ni
U want mai goody bag(wassup)
U want mai goody bag(wassup)
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by Etizz: 7:16am On Sep 01, 2017
KendrickAyomide:
Go and tell Nigerian Bankers and civil Servants .

Yeah because my job we dont have desk but sail
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by MhizzAJ(f): 7:24am On Sep 01, 2017
Nice
I ll keep staying fresh
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by triplec93(m): 7:28am On Sep 01, 2017
flyca:
90% of my colleagues have very very bad breath!
And worse of all, they show signs of discomfort when I puff small deodorant. One says deodorant smell is choky angry

Please tell Buhari to create lucrative professional jobs, I wanna come home cry
Lol, do you share an office with elderly people, cos i can't figure out why a young working class would have a mouth odour.
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by BusinessInsider: 7:42am On Sep 01, 2017
triplec93:
Lol, do you share an office with elderly people, cos i can't figure out why a young working class would have a mouth odour.

Sadly it happens a lot sad
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by BusinessInsider: 7:43am On Sep 01, 2017
pachman:
Really good post, even as I am not done with school yet, I still gained one or two things

Glad it was useful to you!
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by ogoplus: 8:06am On Sep 01, 2017
Do all you can not to fart lipsrsealed

if for any reason you fart...., do make it a rule to walk out of the office ASAP
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by Safiaa(f): 8:25am On Sep 01, 2017
centoke30:
For all those guys acting so serious n arrogant wen attending to their fellow guys in d office and be acting super gentle when a beautiful lady comes to their table, how work? grin
cheesy
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by triplec93(m): 8:44am On Sep 01, 2017
BusinessInsider:

Sadly it happens a lot sad
Na waoh! people with personal hygiene deficiency.
Re: Things To Never Do At Work - Workplace Etiquette by sinola(m): 8:56am On Sep 01, 2017
BusinessInsider:

...discussing politics

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe / Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? / How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.