Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,036 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb (14708 Views)

Poll: Which side will win this 1st leg encounter?

Inter: 61% (42 votes)
Chelsea: 32% (22 votes)
goal less draw?: 1% (1 vote)
Score draw?: 4% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

AC Milan Vs Juventus (0 - 1) On 20th September 2014 / AC Milan Vs Barcelona - UCL (2 - 0) On 20th February 2013 / UCL: AC Milan Vs Arsenal (4 - 0) On 15th February 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by khanye(m): 1:06am On Feb 24, 2010
Lingering European Dreams

[img]http://2.bp..com/_sLaU5z2qDZw/SmRbXXx6wQI/AAAAAAAABOM/8B6oiFybTNQ/s400/chelsea+vs+inter.png[/img]

Inter might have been dominating Serie A with ease and comfort but when it comes to performing in the Champions League, the Nerazzurri have been a huge disappointment. They might have won the Scudetto for the past four seasons in a row but for the last three years they have not gone beyond the Round of 16 in Europe's premier club competition.

Interestingly, in the last two years Inter have fallen to English opposition. In 2007-08 it was Rafael Benitez's Liverpool who knocked them out of Europe's most prestigious club competition while last year eventual finalists Manchester United defeated them 2-0 on aggregate in the pre-quarter finals. This time too the Beneamata have a Premier League side to contend with and it will be interesting to see how they cope, especially as Jose Mourinho will be on the bench against his former club.

Inter's form has taken a dip towards the south too in recent times. Their fiery, controversy-laden 0-0 draw with Sampdoria on Saturday night was their third draw in a row in the league and the second Serie A match in succession in which they have failed to score. Roma's and Milan's respective victories at the weekend mean that Inter's lead at the top of the table has now been trimmed to five points, which could be down to four if Milan win their game in hand against Fiorentina on Wednesday evening.

However, Jose Mourinho's side cannot be dismissed until the final whistle has been blown at Stamford Bridge in the second leg. Perhaps Chelsea will start the tie as slight favourites but Inter haven't lost at home yet this season - in fact, the last time Mourinho lost any domestic home game was way back in 2002 - and this time they have a more compact, well-knit team that is not over-reliant on any one particular player. Of course, except Wesley Sneijder, the former European champions do not have a single world class ball-playing midfielder but their two main strikers Samuel Eto'o and Diego Milito are exceptional and Inter should give themselves a good chance of destabilising a strong Chelsea defensive unit.

Basking In Hope And Expectations

Chelsea might be a 'nouveau riche' club with not much European pedigree but they have certainly been more prominent and successful in Europe than Inter since the turn of the century. The Premier League side have failed to make it to the semi-finals only once in the past six years and reached the final in 2008.

Last season the Blues were knocked out of the competition on the away goals rule. Guus Hiddink's side did a great job in restricting Barcelona from scoring in the first leg of their semi-final tie at Camp Nou and although they took the lead at Stamford Bridge in the ninth minute, Chelsea conceded an injury time equaliser to go out on the away goals rule.

Therefore, this time Carlo Ancelotti's Chelsea will be more motivated and eager to perform in the Champions League. They have been doing great in the Premier League and went four points clear of Manchester United at the top of the table at the weekend with a 2-0 win against Wolverhampton Wanderers away from home. The Blues' defence has been superbly watertight this term, as they have shipped in just 22 goals in 27 matches in the league and four in six in the group stage of the Champions League.

However, Chelsea haven't come up against very stiff competition in Europe so far this campaign. Inter were drawn in a group that was comprised of the domestic champions of Spain, Italy, Ukraine and Russia, and they still managed to progress through to the knockout stages, finishing just two points behind Barcelona, while the only truly competitive team that Chelsea had to face in their group was Porto.

Ancelotti knows all about the current Inter side, having been involved in several games against them during his eight-year coaching tenure with Milan. The Italian will also be aware that Inter can be cynically defensive at times at home in order to not concede any goals, but with Didier Drogba in red-hot form the 50-year-old will expect his side them to score at San Siro on Wednesday night.

TEAM NEWS

Inter

Cristian Chivu is out until March with injury while Marco Materazzi and Davide Santon are doubtful for this fixture. Mario Balotelli should be back in contention for a place in the Inter squad after missing the weekend game against Sampdoria. First-choice custodian Julio Cesar has suffered bruises to his face after smashing his Lamborghini in a road accident near the San Siro on Sunday night. His injury is not said to be serious but there is still a doubt whether he can start against Chelsea on Wednesday night.

Probable Lineup (4-3-1-2): Julio Cesar; Maicon, Lucio, Samuel, Zanetti; Cambiasso, Muntari, Thiago Motta; Sneijder; Eto'o, Milito

Chelsea

Chelsea have received some welcome news ahead of their trip to Milan as both Alex and Juliano Belletti have made the squad. Alex has overcome his knee injury and Belletti is back in action after a month out with a knee injury. Jose Bosingwa, Michael Essien and Ashley Cole are long-term injury concerns and have not been included in the squad and neither has Yury Zhirkov. Deco is also unavailable but Frank Lampard is back for Wednesday night's fixture.

Probable Lineup (4-3-3): Cech; Belletti, Terry, Carvalho, Ivanovic; Mikel, Ballack, Cole; Lampard, Drogba, Anelka.

LINK
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by jalether(m): 1:58am On Feb 24, 2010
Great job Khanye, what team will you be supporting?

A score draw will be a great result @ d san siro, and a victory over inter will be icing on the cake

Inter 1-1 chelsea, lets go thereeeee cool
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by elowa: 5:39am On Feb 24, 2010
In as much as i dislike chealsea, i think i may have to give them this win sad sad
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by Dclique(m): 6:47am On Feb 24, 2010
Inter will win this game. 2-1
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by rasputinn(m): 8:35am On Feb 24, 2010
I expect a thriller tonight,those Inter guys are in top form,hope the pensioners don't slow them down too much.Oops I said it cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by afrodoc(m): 9:06am On Feb 24, 2010
Rasputin a mystic lyk u shud know dt Inter r definitely not on form havin failed 2 win a league match in 3 games and failing 2 score in 2 while pickin up 2 red cards! Was it wishful thinkin on ur part or r u just plain ignorant?
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by khanye(m): 10:17am On Feb 24, 2010
jalether:

Great job Khanye, what team will you be supporting?

A score draw will be a great result @ d san siro, and a victory over inter will be icing on the cake

Inter 1-1 chelsea, lets go thereeeee cool

INTER, because of Samu Eto cool
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by scantee(m): 10:58am On Feb 24, 2010
My Etooooooooooo inter all the way 2:0
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by bandely(m): 12:02pm On Feb 24, 2010
Chelsea to nick this.

Intermilan 1 - 2 Chelsea
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by eyoniggar(m): 12:36pm On Feb 24, 2010
Samu will take the day.
Becoz of him, I support Inter.

Chelski, una go pai for siro. grin
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by ritchboy(m): 12:42pm On Feb 24, 2010
Anyone expecting a spectacle is a wishful thinker. This game will be a classic example of 'Flintstone-Football'. . . 0-0
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by Armenian: 12:50pm On Feb 24, 2010
Jose mourinho , Jose mourinho
Jose mourinho , Jose mourinho

Oh , hang on, he's on the other side now.
wooopsie!!
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by GNBohr: 12:52pm On Feb 24, 2010
Any hyped game only always ends up a drab match. Too much noise pre-match ups expectations but leads to disappoinment.
The same happened to Inter-Barca first leg match at San Siro.
I will not be surprised or disappointed when the match ends up devoid of any spectacular game.
The two teams will play defensively with Chelsae hoping to use Drogba in counter attack.

I expect to see some temper flying resulting in a red card. In all, no goals will be recorded.
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by TBucks(m): 1:07pm On Feb 24, 2010
Inter wud probably win d 1st leg,bt Chelsea gets my nod for d whole tie.
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by Smi1(m): 1:34pm On Feb 24, 2010
inter will carry the day FORZA inter cool cool cool cool
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by Obinoscopy(m): 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2010
the match will end with a goal apiece
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by Pharoh: 2:40pm On Feb 24, 2010
Forza Inter cool
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by Duniverse(m): 2:53pm On Feb 24, 2010
I believe what Chelsea can do and hoping to see chelsea repeating what man utd did to milan. Wit drogba any thing is possible.
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by chelseabmw(m): 3:21pm On Feb 24, 2010
My chelsea to grab this one, i dont need a draw.i need a 2-1 win
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by chelseabmw(m): 3:24pm On Feb 24, 2010
Bad belle people everywhere, una go see us they go higner higher
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by chelseabmw(m): 3:33pm On Feb 24, 2010
UP CHELSEA
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by 9jafreak: 3:49pm On Feb 24, 2010
[size=13pt]Inter vs Chelsea -- my God!

Two Teams made by Mourinho, yawns! tongue[/size]
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by rocnaija(m): 3:56pm On Feb 24, 2010
I'm Just looking forward to Mourinho's press conference, so he can come up with gems like this. . .

On his new job at Stamford Bridge: "If I wanted to have an easy job, I would have stayed at Porto - beautiful blue chair, the UEFA Champions League trophy, God, and after God, me."
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by FBS: 4:01pm On Feb 24, 2010
@Khanye! good job on your copy and paste.  tongue grin

San Siro! . . .Let's go there. . .
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by dayokanu(m): 4:36pm On Feb 24, 2010
Supporting Chelsea for this one
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by lourash(m): 4:49pm On Feb 24, 2010
Those chelsea machines will defeat inter anywhere.
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by Nobody: 5:02pm On Feb 24, 2010
A Barca man had to do our matchday thread.
Hope this won't bring us bad luck?  tongue

We've already beaten Inter once this season.
A tough game no doubt. I expect a goal draw.

rocnaija:

I'm Just looking forward to Mourinho's press conference, so he can come up with gems like this. . .

On his new job at Stamford Bridge: " If I wanted to have an easy job, I would have stayed at Porto - beautiful blue chair, the UEFA Champions League trophy, God, and after God, me."

Classic Mourinho.  grin grin
How I miss him.
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by snowdrops(m): 5:18pm On Feb 24, 2010
It may well end 1 - 1.
Any other result may just fabour chelsea
My main concern for chelsea is at their left full back; unless i am mistaken the russian is injured and may not feature; that will unleash micon on the chelsea left back
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by waledoy(m): 5:33pm On Feb 24, 2010
Chelsea all d way, I hope Belleti can do the job 'cos Maicon is a threat. we need away goals, it is very important.
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by mykali(m): 5:46pm On Feb 24, 2010
. . . will be a very crunchy game.
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by chic2pimp(m): 5:53pm On Feb 24, 2010
9jafreak:

[size=13pt]Inter vs Chelsea -- my God!

Two Teams made by Mourinho, yawns! tongue[/size]

I laff in urhobo grin
Chelsea may be, but Inter Nahhhhhhhhhh undecided
Re: Champions League: Inter Milan Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Wed, 24 Feb by maxyguy: 5:58pm On Feb 24, 2010
Serious concerns for Chelsea at the left back position cos Maicon is always dangerous going forward.
Mourinho will want to exploit that weakness.
Diego Milito far more dangerous than samuel etoo,
Drogba has a way of leaving his mark in ties like this, He might be Chelsea's saviour on the night.
either a draw or inter might just pip chelsea to it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 / Westbrom Vs Arsenal (2 - 1) On 21st November 2015 / Arsenal Vs QPR (2 - 1) On 26th December 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.