Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,129 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation (8143 Views)

President Buhari Fulfils His Promise To Igbo Traders In Aba (photos, Videos) / The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence / Nnamdi Kanu Will Continue Agitation For Igbo Nation – Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Yyeske(m): 8:48am On Sep 10, 2017
GuyfawkesAB:

I beg to differ.

Firstly, it is still evident that most of you guys still lay most of the of blame on the Yoruba people for the challenges you are having. You have refused to even consider the influence of the western media and lifestyle, NO. it is always the Yorubas that are responsible for your challenges. This is one of the greatest stumbling blocks to your finding solutions to issues.

Pazienza, you made several faulty points in this submission. You are quite an intelligent guy, but I'm afraid you are ill-informed on several issues or just simply choose to hold a skewed and jaundiced view reeking with prejudiced directed mainly at Yoruba people. You are zealous, but without knowledge and are like a fast moving train running in the wrong direction.

In citing the dominance of the media space by Yorubas as a leverage to spread propaganda to turn Igbos bred in Lagos into minds that lack the same cultural enthusiasm and identification as other igbos, you have failed to also observe that the Yorubas also have the same challenges, if not as grave as that of Igbos.
The Media doesn't propagate any propaganda detrimental to the Igbos and to the advantage of the Yorubas. those are your assumptions to justify your Hatred.

And I think the influence is mainly from western influence (Most of Lagos bred people have a cosmopolitan outlook influenced heavily by foreign adopted role models and celebrities at home that have localized those foreign trends which they readily copy) and a continuous entrenchment of colonial mentality.
Most Yorubas who are bred in Lagos can hardly speak their own dialect, hardly visit their villages and when they do, they look down on the villagers and the culture.

it is simply logical that as Lagos has a larger number of Yoruba people and the language is the most spoken, Igbos and other tribes learn and speak over time. It doesn't connote a re-education to hate your own language and tribe. No one is feeding Igbos with hatred about their tribe. Igbos in Lagos are in no way unaware of their ethnicity. Blame it on the western media and influence, Not on Yorubas.

Rather you should choose to tell your people the truth, because we have realized over time that quite a few of Igbos who arrive in Lagos from the east are mostly on a default mode of hatred for the Yorubas passed down by their parents and propagated by people like you. Yorubas don't readily hate igbos. they welcome them with open arms. But over time, the desperation, attitude and disregard some of your people have shown has formed a wrong impression on Yoruba minds. the average Yoruba exercises caution when dealing with igbos, but it doesn't mean they hate Igbos. We are only cautious based on what some bad ones have done.

As regards Chinua Achebe, I hope providence and God forgives him for the evil legacy he bequeathed his people before he died. Rather than point his people towards peace, tell them to love, forgive and embrace others, he gave them a manual to grow their hatred and wound themselves further (For it is the one who is embittered by hatred that suffers the pains). Never will he be remembered and mentioned like they would Nelson Mandela, Ghandi and Dr. King Jr. because those ones preached reconciliation, forgiveness and peace to their peoples as they sought to awaken their consciousness about their plight and identity.

Rather than growing on hatred, You can learn a lot from Yorubas. We don't blame others for our woes. Whenever critical issues arise and give cause for concern, Hubert Ogunde's song 'Yoruba R'onu' (Yoruba, Think) is easily invoked to engage ourselves and look within to fix our problems.

Epic, you really gave some valid points

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by PentiumPro(f): 8:57am On Sep 10, 2017
lazeal:
you have no forking business here. There is a thread for yorubas and I will appreciate that you leave.

Na you get Nairaland?
Anuofia, go boil your head for Nsi nmmadu peppersoup
Get lost from here already! grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by prodigy24: 12:53pm On Sep 10, 2017
Wow I thought this Convo could not yield any fruit. But I was astounded. Oga pazienza, I thank you so much for this,we need to take this message beyong this space. Mr ikechukwuob, you did very well well, ngozi and everyone that contributed thus far.
We must continue,with this message.
I have stayed in Lagos most of my life. I always see myself as a stranger. Because I'm always being reminded by neighbors or friends. It is normal to come here and claim accommodator. But we know the truth.

Like ikechukwuob stated, Igbo's in America are very proud of their origin and would kill for it. While, Its true that Lagos is the epicenter of propaganda.we have to enlighten those that want to learn. I have two uncles living in America and Lagos. The one in America is a Prof, while the one in Lagos had only standard 5.
If you see how my cousins in America, talk about Igbo and its culture. They're are very igbophilic compare to my cousins in Lagos. They hardly speak Igbo. Tel them to come and build something in the east. They will tell you, that they are not going back to village yet. They don't care at all.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by SlayerForever: 2:29pm On Sep 11, 2017
[s]
GuyfawkesAB:

I beg to differ.

Firstly, it is still evident that most of you guys still lay most of the of blame on the Yoruba people for the challenges you are having. You have refused to even consider the influence of the western media and lifestyle, NO. it is always the Yorubas that are responsible for your challenges. This is one of the greatest stumbling blocks to your finding solutions to issues.

Pazienza, you made several faulty points in this submission. You are quite an intelligent guy, but I'm afraid you are ill-informed on several issues or just simply choose to hold a skewed and jaundiced view reeking with prejudiced directed mainly at Yoruba people. You are zealous, but without knowledge and are like a fast moving train running in the wrong direction.

In citing the dominance of the media space by Yorubas as a leverage to spread propaganda to turn Igbos bred in Lagos into minds that lack the same cultural enthusiasm and identification as other igbos, you have failed to also observe that the Yorubas also have the same challenges, if not as grave as that of Igbos.
The Media doesn't propagate any propaganda detrimental to the Igbos and to the advantage of the Yorubas. those are your assumptions to justify your Hatred.

And I think the influence is mainly from western influence (Most of Lagos bred people have a cosmopolitan outlook influenced heavily by foreign adopted role models and celebrities at home that have localized those foreign trends which they readily copy) and a continuous entrenchment of colonial mentality.
Most Yorubas who are bred in Lagos can hardly speak their own dialect, hardly visit their villages and when they do, they look down on the villagers and the culture.

it is simply logical that as Lagos has a larger number of Yoruba people and the language is the most spoken, Igbos and other tribes learn and speak over time. It doesn't connote a re-education to hate your own language and tribe. No one is feeding Igbos with hatred about their tribe. Igbos in Lagos are in no way unaware of their ethnicity. Blame it on the western media and influence, Not on Yorubas.

Rather you should choose to tell your people the truth, because we have realized over time that quite a few of Igbos who arrive in Lagos from the east are mostly on a default mode of hatred for the Yorubas passed down by their parents and propagated by people like you. Yorubas don't readily hate igbos. they welcome them with open arms. But over time, the desperation, attitude and disregard some of your people have shown has formed a wrong impression on Yoruba minds. the average Yoruba exercises caution when dealing with igbos, but it doesn't mean they hate Igbos. We are only cautious based on what some bad ones have done.

As regards Chinua Achebe, I hope providence and God forgives him for the evil legacy he bequeathed his people before he died. Rather than point his people towards peace, tell them to love, forgive and embrace others, he gave them a manual to grow their hatred and wound themselves further (For it is the one who is embittered by hatred that suffers the pains). Never will he be remembered and mentioned like they would Nelson Mandela, Ghandi and Dr. King Jr. because those ones preached reconciliation, forgiveness and peace to their peoples as they sought to awaken their consciousness about their plight and identity.

Rather than growing on hatred, You can learn a lot from Yorubas. We don't blame others for our woes. Whenever critical issues arise and give cause for concern, Hubert Ogunde's song 'Yoruba R'onu' (Yoruba, Think) is easily invoked to engage ourselves and look within to fix our problems.

[/s]

Absolute Rubbish. Type this for those who don't know Yoruba people.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by SlayerForever: 2:33pm On Sep 11, 2017
tommynico:

[s]From what I read through the quoted epistle, you are the one spewing bitterness and hatred.....it's so foolish and stupid at thesame time. If the Yorubas wants one Nigeria, it's all about love, not wanting you to break some kind of brotherly love and affection that has developed at the base of the conjoined relationship between igbos and yorubas. you want your biafra on the basis of the hatred you have for the Hausa and Yoruba which is not good for your rational mind thereby influencing your judgements. Yorubas generally do not speak in bitterness about the igbos but it's you and your type that bring such out of them, most especially online, with your abusive and annoying, and sometimes stupid arguments and comparisons due to your pride and inferiority complex at times. The igbos based in Lagos are more matured and open minded than most of your brethren in the east because they never let past history distort their veiws about other tribes and people, instead, they pick what they can learn from it and discard the rest. Nobody is saying you shouldn't agitate for your beloved biafra, not at all, but ur agitations shouldn't be based on your dislike or hatred of other tribes.
[/s]

See them. Lies upon lies. These people cannot change.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Olabestonic001(m): 3:16pm On Sep 11, 2017
pazienza:

Lol.
What pains do you talk of?

If it's not pains of having to share a failed third world country with bitter groups like Yoruba and the rest, then you must be hallucinating.

No Igbo man grows up with the mindset of Yorubas being our problem, we grow up knowing that Nigeria is a problem for Ndiigbo, and that Yorubas were and will remain an integral part of the bitter groups who sought and continue to seek to keep Ndiigbo forcefully, as part of the Nigerian disgrace.
This mindset will continue to exist amongst Ndiigbo and Yorubas would continue to justify it through their actions, until Biafra is established as a sovereign nation.

The infamous Yoruba ronu speech of pre civil war, was all about Uniting Yorubas against Ndiigbo by presenting Ndiigbo as villains and cause of Yorubas problems by your Yoruba leaders of those years. The You tube video of that speech is available everywhere today.
So, don't come here acting like you lots have been anything but Igbophobic.

The well parented Igbos in Lagos, whose parents took time to train in Igbo ways and teach our history are always disgusted By Yoruba ways and role in Nigeria. The efulefus with no or poor parental training end up with Igbophobia, since they end up learning about their own people history and stories, through Igbophobic Yoruba friends and sources. This translates to Self hate, since they themselves are Igbos.

You're wrong on your assertions. Yorubas are only weary of you lots because, even though you're unwise, you always think you are wiser. Take for example the claim by IPOD during the weekend. You guys all shouted foul play and told us 5 people were killed and many such senseless claims. Your people also bragged about how they pursued NA away with stones and sticks. So, on one hand you were victims, on another you were valiants.
Checking out the video, we saw the ruse. Yet, you think the Yorubas should queue behind you. That's laughable. I know Yorubas will never side with anyone absolutely! We can pick the excesses of all sides involved as we did in 1967. No, blackmail won't affect us as we're immune to it.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by obasivic: 9:17pm On Sep 11, 2017
Develpeast:
You are being emotional, so as other people too. I have said times without number, if they are not seeing a better or atleast the same alternative, they will not support biafra. This is a very strong problem you will get from diaspora igbos staying and making money in different parts of the country apart from igboland. These guys have grown comfortable and are making so much money. You want someone to leave his comfort zone to start all over? You have an advantage in them, that is, eat their monies. They are willing to donate millions of money to the development of igboland which will in turn look sexier for them to move. I am not just talking about lagos igbos, i am talking about the general diaspora igbos who do not live or do business in the east.

From my estimated calculation, we can generate as high as 2 trillion naira yearly if we engage these diaspora igbos in the development process of the igboland. It is when you look at the economic aspect of biafra, that many businessmen and professionals will answer you. the rest will just look at you and laugh. I am very serious.
Iike your idea please dm me your grand plan
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by pazienza(m): 9:34pm On Sep 11, 2017
Olabestonic001:

You're wrong on your assertions. Yorubas are only weary of you lots because, even though you're unwise, you always think you are wiser. Take for example the claim by IPOD during the weekend. You guys all shouted foul play and told us 5 people were killed and many such senseless claims. Your people also bragged about how they pursued NA away with stones and sticks. So, on one hand you were victims, on another you were valiants.
Checking out the video, we saw the ruse. Yet, you think the Yorubas should queue behind you. That's laughable. I know Yorubas will never side with anyone absolutely! We can pick the excesses of all sides involved as we did in 1967. No, blackmail won't affect us as we're immune to it.

Nobody ever asked Yorubas to queue behind us. We are only asking that you stay off our issue, stop ganging up against us. Get a cause for yourselves to fight for and stop constituting hindrance to our Biafra cause on and offline.
Is the above too much to ask for?

Go to facebook, most prominent amongst Nigerians happy with Nigerian Army presence in the East and calling and cheering them to unleash massacre on Ndiigbo are Yorubas. Even on this forum, the same is applicable.

Does this sound normal to you?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Olabestonic001(m): 7:50am On Sep 16, 2017
pazienza:

Nobody ever asked Yorubas to queue behind us. We are only asking that you stay off our issue, stop ganging up against us. Get a cause for yourselves to fight for and stop constituting hindrance to our Biafra cause on and offline.

Go to facebook, most prominent amongst Nigerians happy with Nigerian Army presence in the East and calling and cheering them to unleash massacre on Ndiigbo are Yorubas. Even on this forum, the same is applicable.

Were you not the same miscreant shouting and abusing everyone who doesn't agree with your mad IPOB logic? The major nadir of IPOB was their intolerance. I knew that will 'undo' them ! Kanu started on hate and it consumed him.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by pazienza(m): 8:01am On Sep 16, 2017
Olabestonic001:

Were you not the same miscreant shouting and abusing everyone who doesn't agree with your mad IPOB logic? The major nadir of IPOB was their intolerance. I knew that will 'undo' them ! Kanu started on hate and it consumed him.

Lol! I too had questioned IPOB methods. For example, I'm not in support of a heterogeneous Biafra IPOB was pursuing, look at my signature.
But I recognize fully that even a heterogeneous Biafra would trump this present status quo.

By the way. I never abused anyone, its never my style to do so. I only return any Igbophobic rants with more toxic hate than the Igbophobic person could ever imagine.
I had since learnt that Igbo haters hate everything Igbo. They never loved peaceful MASSOB, they never loved educated Ojukwu, the never loved learned Biafra Billie group pursing Biafra actualization through legal means, I'm not naive to not recognize that Igbophobic beings were merely hiding behind IPOB to exhibit their Igbophobia.

IPOB and Kanu were victims of their( Igbhophobic people) innate Igbophobia, and that's why I stepped in to fill the gap.

What do you mean by intolerance on the part of IPOB?

And look again, out of your innate Igbophobia, you had already called me a miscreant, if I return the favor back to you now with more toxic expletives, you will come back crying that I'm intolerant and full of hate, your Yoruba people will come here and support you, and I would gladly oblige by taking you all to the mud, and when it's all done, all of you would conveniently forget that the hate started from your own end.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Olabestonic001(m): 9:40am On Sep 16, 2017
pazienza:

You and Kanu have already carried ant-infested wood and you'll all regret ever fighting against the Yorubas.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Omoluabi16(m): 10:35am On Sep 16, 2017
Yeah. As usual let's blame lagos and the Yoruba for creating an enabling environment people can call HOME. let's blame the yorubas's if some igbo's decide to add some yoruba dialect to their language. Let's blame the Yoruba for the huge success of the igbo's here. I can only smh. Little wonder nnamdi kanu could manipulate so much people into a wrong course of action. If you believe you are so superior to the yorubas then that's your business. Yorubaland will never shut its door to anyone. And if these 'lagos igbos' decide to make a home out of lagos then you can only rant. Very nauseating thread! Another opportunity of playing the victim. who is hunting you? what is chasing you? Inferiority complex is a terrible thing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Omoluabi16(m): 10:39am On Sep 16, 2017
GuyfawkesAB:

I beg to differ.

God bless you bro. Very precise with your submission.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Fulmigati: 10:46am On Sep 16, 2017
Omoluabi16:
Yeah. As usual let's blame lagos and the Yoruba for creating an enabling environment people can call HOME. let's blame the yorubas's if some igbo's decide to add some yoruba dialect to their language. Let's blame the Yoruba for the huge success of the igbo's here. I can only smh. Little wonder nnamdi kanu could manipulate so much people into a wrong course of action. If you believe you are so superior to the yorubas then that's your business. Yorubaland will never shut its door to anyone. And if these 'lagos igbos' decide to make a home out of lagos then you can only rant. Very nauseating thread! Another opportunity of playing the victim. who is hunting you? what is chasing you? Inferiority complex is a terrible thing.
Point out one instance in the opening post where Yorubas are mentioned by the author of this thread? You people like concerning yourselves with our business.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by pazienza(m): 10:49am On Sep 16, 2017
Olabestonic001:

You and Kanu have already carried ant-infested wood and you'll all regret ever fighting against the Yorubas.

How exactly did Ndiigbo fight against Yorubas?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Omoluabi16(m): 10:50am On Sep 16, 2017
rainylad:

You are talking bunkum..i dont know why you yorubas have a habit of tagging your personal view of things as facts....Who told you that Igbos in Lagos did/do not experience 'hatred' in Lagos??..

I was born in Lagos whwn it was still the Capital of Nigeria because my father was a civil servant with the then Federal Civil Aviatiin Authority(FCAA) and i know the 'accomodating' bullshitt you lots love to propagate about yourselves are lies from the pit of hell cos you could not do much against Igbos then cos the Federal Government and not yorubas were in control of Lagos state then..

But your true colors came out when FG moved to Abuja leaving Lagos for yorubas to over-run.

You are the least accomodating of all tribes in Nigeria and thats a fact.
Least accomodating, yet majority of your kith and kin find succour here, achieve unparalleled success here.You troop in hordes to come hustle here. From 1970 till now show me any communal crises the igbos have suffered in Yoruba land, or when yorubas engaged in killings against igbos. You have been perpetually slaughter in the north for over 50years yet we are least accommodating. This is simply ingratitude.. and God is watching you.
Are these the lies you peddle to the younger generation to sustain the hatred and victim mentality?? You sicken me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Omoluabi16(m): 10:56am On Sep 16, 2017
Fulmigati:

Point out one instance in the opening post where Yorubas are mentioned by the author of this thread? You people like concerning yourselves with our business.
you expect me to go quote everyone and their subtle yoruba jibe? is lagos not yoruba land? didn't subsequent comments complain about how some igbos are learning some yoruba culture? how does speaking a little yoruba pose a threat to the igbo race? a fellow said the media was yoruba owner and set about systematic brainwash of igbo. Sun, guardian, daar, channels and other medias are they fully yoruba oriented? God is watching these your lies.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Fulmigati: 11:20am On Sep 16, 2017
Omoluabi16:
you expect me to go quote everyone and their subtle yoruba jibe? is lagos not yoruba land? didn't subsequent comments complain about how some igbos are learning some yoruba culture? how does speaking a little yoruba pose a threat to the igbo race? a fellow said the media was yoruba owner and set about systematic brainwash of igbo. Sun, guardian, daar, channels and other medias are they fully yoruba oriented? God is watching these your lies.
OP never mentioned or addressed Yorubas once in his opening post. It was your Yoruba posters like you with your attention seeking asses that inserted yourself into the equation.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Omoluabi16(m): 12:18pm On Sep 16, 2017
Fulmigati:

OP never mentioned or addressed Yorubas once in his opening post. It was your Yoruba posters like you with your attention seeking asses that inserted yourself into the equation.
lol. I give up meh. Even when the topic is there to see, yet you say this isn't anti-yoruba sentiments. You folks can believe whatever you want.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by prodigy24: 6:12pm On Sep 22, 2017
[s]
Omoluabi16:
[/s]
You're not needed here. .
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by GoldenChiddy: 9:24am On Nov 11, 2017
There's a lot of igbo culture being promoted within the igbo-British community. Have a look at the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZjPkvP-C8&feature=youtu.be
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by laudate: 10:00am On Nov 12, 2017
Olabestonic001:
Truer words have never been spoken!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by laudate: 10:02am On Nov 12, 2017
Omoluabi16:
Least accomodating, yet majority of your kith and kin find succour here, achieve unparalleled success here.You troop in hordes to come hustle here. From 1970 till now show me any communal crises the igbos have suffered in Yoruba land, or when yorubas engaged in killings against igbos. You have been perpetually slaughter in the north for over 50years yet we are least accommodating. This is simply ingratitude.. and God is watching you.
Are these the lies you peddle to the younger generation to sustain the hatred and victim mentality?? You sicken me.
Abeg, I no wan laugh too much today. This is such an epic response. grin
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by laudate: 10:11am On Nov 12, 2017
PentiumPro:
The so called Lagosian igbos have heard the different sides of the stories about Nigeria and have had long contact with other Nigerians to understand the different shades and nuances that make up this awesome and complex country, and that we all have common enemies that are majorly the elites from all Nigeria tribes without exception

On the other hand, the igbotic home grown and based igbos have not been able to understand Nigeria above what they are told by their parents and uncles. They see an average other Nigerian tribe as part of their own problem and a reason why he or she is still a failure at over 30 yrs without anyhing tangible to point to as achievement outside the igbotic achieved Bsc grin
Very true!! May God increase the wisdom He has deposited in your life! cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Afegbua: Babachir Lawal Cannot Play God In Tinubu’s Presidential Aspiration / 2023 Presidency: Enugu AAC Dumps Sowore, Endorses Peter Obi / Federal University In Ekiti State - Ikole Ekiti As The Right Location

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.