Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,190 members, 7,822,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation (8145 Views)

President Buhari Fulfils His Promise To Igbo Traders In Aba (photos, Videos) / The Igbo Nation Should Forget The Politics Of Nigeria And Focus On Independence / Nnamdi Kanu Will Continue Agitation For Igbo Nation – Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by ironheart(m): 6:47am On Sep 08, 2017
EzeCanada:
The statement that "Igbo Lagosians are problematic and ignorant to Igbo nation" sounded stereotypical to me and believing this to be so looks fallacious.  According to your analogy, I should be considered an Igbo Lagosian being born and raised in the heart of Lagos. However, contrary to your postulation, I am one of the greatest advocate and champion of Igbo agenda, course and culture at home and particularly in the diaspora. Being a Lagos breed never shaped my thought process negatively.

Here are few questions to consider however:

1. Is it no longer a fact that ndi Igbo are republican in nature?

2.  Are political views and opinion of Igbo political, traditional, religious, social, opinion leaders; elites and mases at home divided or unified? Use the Mazi Nnamdi Kalu declaration of "No referendum No election"  as a case study.

3. While mulling on Q2 reflect on the opinion of the following individuals on the issue raised in Q2 based on the classification in Q2 and mirror it against your declaration. 1. Ekweremadu 2.The so called South East Governors 3. Igbo legislators 4. Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo leadership 5. The Obi of Onitsha who happens to be the leader of South East traditional rulers 6. Rev. Mbaka 7. Charles Oputa aka Charlie boy 8. Anambra Lawyer Association ...just to mention a few.
Are the views of the listed individuals or group converging or divergent. Is it any different from that of the so called Igbo Lagosians subgroup?

4. What city has the largest concentation of Ndi Igbo outside Igbo land....Lagos peharps?

5. If we both agree it is Lagos. Is it not logical to expect that the number of ndi Igbo with divergent opinion would also be highest in number considering Lagos has the largest non-Igbo state population?

6. Have you ever looked at this issue as a failure in leadership? Past Igbo leaders lacked foresight and ought to have involved themselves in massive educational, empowerment and  awareness campaigns in Igbo communities outside Igbo land.

Otherwise beside what Nnamdi Kanu is doing now, do you have any record where any renounced Igbo leader or group of leaders ever involved himself/herself/themselves in sanitization or political emancipation of ndi Igbo resident in Lagos through any known awareness campaign?

7. Hope this answers your question to some extent?
bros, I respect you for these questions you have pose to the OP. I am non igbo n have taken time to critically look at the igbo agitation. I came to a conclusion that Igbos do not need physical restructuring but a mental restructuring. I say this because a typical igbo man wants to out do another and they find it difficult to unit on the leadership front. The difference between the hausa and the igbo is that, the hausa plans 10yrs ahead and they have a sense of loyalty to there own. The Igbos lacks planning n sense of direction. That's why the poorest of them finds succour in Kanus.

Igbos has made it big in business and no other tribe can compare in terms of business acumen. I can say for a fact there are igbo men who are richer than Dangote. We know of Dangote because he is neck deep in debt to banks n the publicity generated around him. There are igbo men n women who are so rich that they do not use the bank. Take for instance, a normal igbo man doing his normal business without help from the bank or government or even politics could raise 1.5mil dollars to free himself from kidnappers. That speaks volume

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by pazienza(m): 10:22am On Sep 08, 2017
Ikechuob:
I would say this as someone who in the past fell under the same the description of the "LagosIan igbo" excluding the boosting and forming nonsense. Although i was not born and raised in Lagos Thank God, In the past, I would consider my opinion of Igbos as exactly what pazienza described it "igbophobic". In the past I used to accused igbos as having a persecution complex; I was one of the biggest antagonist towards massob; I used to denigrate igbos, join other "pro-nigeria" to mock and insult igbo community which today I'm ashamed of and wonder the level of stupidity and low self esteem I had. Nowadays I realized that every insult and degradation I gave towards igbos was something fed to me by the Nigerian environment.

OP you say you don't understand how the Igbo Americans exhibit more igbo pride than the ones born and raised in Lagos especially since the LagosIan born igbo are closer to core igbo than the American born igbo. I think two of the commenter hit it right in the head with their answer. It's matter of Psychology. The Nigerian environment or rather the Yoruba controlled media since the misery of this country existence have done nothing but denigerate igbos and try every way, shape or form to destroy igbo reputation. The media controls the psyche/opinion people have of a group. For example: world wide the opinion of African Americans are negative. Why? Because in the media they are portrayed as thugs, criminals, among other things while their females are protrayed as sluts, trashy, ghetto. Even within the American community, the media has morphed the mind of its citizens that anything good is white and anything bad is blacks/Latinos that even within that country black Americans have the least favorable opinions of non blacks. Even Africans in America carry that opinion of them based solely on how the black Americans are portrayed. Those of us, non black Americans, that lived and grew up around them see the real image of black Americans that yes they have the ghetto, thuggish set but even within those ghetto there are multitudes that aren't anything like what the media portrays. Meaning we see the real image of African Americans, not what the media protrays. But in the African American community, they have what they call "coons". The coons are usually black Americans who denigerate their own community, belittled their own people and sees nothing good within the African American community despite being African-Americans themselves. Majority, not all, of the coons in America are either raised in a white family (adopted) or white dominated neighborhood and went to predominately white dominated schools.

Now why am I talking about AA? What you all just described about the igbo born and raised in LAGOS is the same exact sceanario. The coons within the African American community are raised within the community who have hatred towards black Americans and long since been trying to destroy that community anyway they can. All those coons are segerated from their people so the images/opinions/stories of their people they get is that of the whites. Therefore, creating a self hatred amongst them in which they manifest towards their own people in effort to get accepted and prove they are better than the image being protrayed. The same with igbos in Lagos. They are flat out in a community that despise igbos and segregated from their own community therefore the images/opinions/stories they get is that of the yoruba thus, creating a self hatred in which they manifest to other igbos in order to get that "you're enlightened igbo nigerian" acceptance from the yoruba and the so called "one Nigeria".

Now before you say that the scenario are not the same..ask yourself this. The description I just gave you on how the American media protray AA men and women is it not the same as the description the yoruba control media protray igbo men and women? Let's use Evans for example. Recall when he was caught, please inform me again, was there not overly excessive media coverage of him? I don't even live in Nigeria and I literally saw the glimpse of the overly excessive coverage on FB. The amount of media coverage I kept seeing getting circulated was ridiculous. I said if it was that much on FB imagine the amount it was down there in Nigeria. Now when the Badoo gangs were caught, did they get the same media coverage despite their act was in my opinion worse? Heck nairaland is a perfect example of what I speak. Drug trafficking articles are bumped up and plasted on FP compared to ritualism articles even though there are more ritualistic articles posted on NL. Hell the video of Nnamdi Kanu supposedly calling igbo prostitute was rushed to the front page. The ones of adeyinka grandson calling yoruba women prostitutes was deleted. Since I thought it was prejudice of them closing it, I reopened the thread and yet again it was deleted and I was banned. Which equally tells me the first person that brought that post here and his thread was deleted was very likely banned as well. Another example; i know exactly why Nigeria is hated world wide. I live aboard and I've heard it directly from the mouth of many. Nigerians are hated for 1.) Their boastful nature and 2.) The biggest reason 419/scam. You're hated in Asia and SA for drug trafficking but everywhere else you're hated for scams. Which group dominate drug trafficking and which group dominate 419? Now ask yourself which crime is the one being protrayed as why you're hated by your media. Heck I bet you none of you lots are aware that your SE have actually the least crime rate in that your country. Infact an independent, non bias as in non Nigerian, company by the name of CLEEN did a study using data from your own government but when your media reported their findings guess what was reported. The only area where SE or rather Enugu scored highest. When the study results were posted on this forum, all the threads were removed. The one I opened on it, it's still open but most of the images not showing anymore. The beauty of it is that it is on Google now so even hidden here, it's not there.
Another thing I bet you very few of una are aware there were more yoruba on FBI most wanted list than igbo but guess who was circulated all over the media of that country? The igbo that made the last. Infact I created a topic on this exact thing and it was ignored.

Why was that so effective? Simple. The removal of history. Take it from me my eyes opened and I saw my earlier past behavior as despicable and a disgraceful when I started reading Nigerian history and definitely the Biafra war history. Our people are clueless on their history thus makes it easier for someone to give them false statements/opinion and they suck it in hook, line and sinker to prove they are "one Nigeria."
Like let's use for example: the statement "igbos are not united", there were less internal conflict in igbo history compared to the other 2 big tribes of Nigeria. Likewise, there are less political thuggish behavior as well as assassination compared to well one tribe. Yet who get the statement "not united". Now ask yourself? How many Igbos now echo that statement?

The igbo in America although are similar to igbo in Lagos in terms of igbo culture and language, the reason they are so proud igbo and would knock out the teeth of anyone that denigerate igbo is because unlike the igbo in Lagos, they are not around Nigeria media. Very few of them follow anything happening in Nigeria thus that psychological warfare isn't happen thus, no self hatred. That's why igbos in diaspora are pro biafra and pro Nnamdi kanu. Infact I went to an igbo event for youths and the entire discussion was about biafra despite the fact the reaaon for event was not even supposed to be about biafra.

Don't get me wrong I don't blame yoruba for it. I mean hey they control the news of that country so obviously they'll use it for their advantage. So you can't blame them for that. I blame the parents of those igbo Lagos. They allowed their defeatist attitude give leeway for self hatred amongst their children. Like I always said I personally personally believe biafra history and Nigeria history should be mandatory for every igbo child. When their eyes are open, what you see and complain about won't be there. Heck if not I just read the igbos in Lagos speaks yoruba, I would have never known that. I've met several here that were born and raised in Lagos and I've never heard them speak yoruba even amongst themselves. Some are even part of Biafra supporting groups here. Rather than pitying and looking at them is disgrace, you should educate. That's all you need to do is start educating them. You fight psychology with psychology, not disdain

Ikechukwu, this is a master piece.
May Chukwu continue to bless you.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by ba7man(m): 11:36am On Sep 08, 2017
ironheart:
bros, I respect you for these questions you have pose to the OP. I am non igbo n have taken time to critically look at the igbo agitation. I came to a conclusion that Igbos do not need physical restructuring but a mental restructuring. I say this because a typical igbo man wants to out do another and they find it difficult to unit on the leadership froyAnt. The difference between the hausa and the igbo is that, the hausa plans 10yrs ahead and they have a sense of loyalty to there own. The Igbos lacks planning n sense of direction. That's why the poorest of them finds succour in Kanus.

Igbos has made it big in business and no other tribe can compare in terms of business acumen. I can say for a fact there are igbo men who are richer than Dangote. We know of Dangote because he is neck deep in debt to banks n the publicity generated around him. There are igbo men n women who are so rich that they do not use the bank. Take for instance, a normal igbo man doing his normal business without help from the bank or government or even politics could raise 1.5mil dollars to free himself from kidnappers. That speaks volume
A lot of those "Businessmen" are drug dealers.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by ironheart(m): 1:39pm On Sep 08, 2017
ba7man:
A lot of those "Businessmen" are drug dealers.

I beg to disagree
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by jargo89(m): 2:10pm On Sep 08, 2017
EMMAUGOH:

This conversation is not for your type. I grew up outside Igbo land but never seen an efulefu like igbos born in Lagos with Yoruba mentality.
And having a Yoruba mentality is synonymous to being lesser to you. Do you even know how tribalistic you sound? People like you will scream racism if a Csucasian refer to a fellow Caucasian as having a black man's mentality. But still you consciously believe an Igbo man having a Yoruba mentality is an "efulefu".

At what point do you see yourself as human first and Igbo next? We accuse Hitler of genocide against other races but with deep thinking, many of you are capable of such if given the power.

My advice, which you may not accept, is that as much as you have the right to "self-determination" (something i hear a lot from you guys lately), so do the "Igbos with Yoruba mentality". The fact they embaced the cultures of their host and respect it raises them even above you mentally. And the rule is: If you want (your culture) to be respected, respect others. Good day.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 08, 2017
jargo89:
And having a Yoruba mentality is synonymous to being lesser to you. Do you even know how tribalistic you sound? People like you will scream racism if a Csucasian refer to a fellow Caucasian as having a black man's mentality. But still you consciously believe an Igbo man having a Yoruba mentality is an "efulefu".

At what point do you see yourself as human first and Igbo next? We accuse Hitler of genocide against other races but with deep thinking, many of you are capable of such if given the power.

My advice, which you may not accept, is that as much as you have the right to "self-determination" (something i hear a lot from you guys lately), so do the "Igbos with Yoruba mentality". The fact they embaced the cultures of their host and respect it raises them even above you mentally. And the rule is: If you want (your culture) to be respected, respect others. Good day.
U should have asked the meaning of efulefu before the long write up. Anyway nobody is denigrating the Yoruba race. It's just that you don't understand the Igbo mind.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by rainylad(f): 2:43pm On Sep 08, 2017
Olabestonic001:

Hmm, I know your pains (even though I'm Yoruba) but really, something needs to change. What I observed is that the Igbo culture and attitudes towards material life is highly compensated for in Lagos than any other place in the world.
For American and overseas based Igbo's, there's the issue of color. That makes them come together. For other countries, they need a visa and they can't go to other countries easily. For Igbos in the North, they are together because of Northern madness in forms of riots and the likes. Plus, mostly, they are sometimes discriminated against heavily over there. So, they must 'be bonded' because they understand the threat.
However, even during the Civil War, Igbos were never discriminated against by Yorubas in Lagos. And there's really no real threats to Igbo's lives by Yoruba's. More so, whenever many SE based Igbos speaks against Yorubas (and in fact denigrate them), these folks wonder if you're referring to their childhood folks and present friends. To them, they see that the nets being casted on Yoruba's are tainted heavily by hatred than truth. Worst still, going home, they observe that moneybags are more celebrated back home, during festive seasons, than brotherhood. They have eyes to see that in Lagos, how much you've got isn't a problem as celebration of brotherliness (and paddy-paddy) and hence they wonder why you're viewing everything the way you are.
Brother, the issue is that Igbos based in Lagos have observed that the cohesion most Igbos uses to rally themselves round is hatred based. Since they have no such experiences of such hatred in Lagos, they suspect lies. And worst still, they always observe that 'home' belongs only to moneybags, hence they do not 'feel' home (or is the attitudes of those at home?) positively.

You are talking bunkum..i dont know why you yorubas have a habit of tagging your personal view of things as facts....Who told you that Igbos in Lagos did/do not experience 'hatred' in Lagos??..

I was born in Lagos whwn it was still the Capital of Nigeria because my father was a civil servant with the then Federal Civil Aviatiin Authority(FCAA) and i know the 'accomodating' bullshitt you lots love to propagate about yourselves are lies from the pit of hell cos you could not do much against Igbos then cos the Federal Government and not yorubas were in control of Lagos state then..

But your true colors came out when FG moved to Abuja leaving Lagos for yorubas to over-run.

You are the least accomodating of all tribes in Nigeria and thats a fact.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by rainylad(f): 2:49pm On Sep 08, 2017
onyegwu:
Are u better than Yorubas ? U guys can never engage in any form of discussion without insults that's the kind of life u want people to emulate in order for them to be more Igbo wholesome. People who do not reason before they make utterances. U feel superior yet u will leave ur east and head straight to Yoruba Land Lagos for greener pastures yet u despise them. U people ought to be ashamed of u lot. If u grew up outside Igbo land and refuse to be enlightened whose fault is it? Continue creating enemies for ur self let's see where it will take u to. U see people claiming they went to school but u can never see intellect been put to use when the occasion arises. In 2017 someone who claim to be educated is still saying Yoruba this Yoruba that in this time and age then what's the impact of the school?

Always yapping about 'Lagos' like you yorubas made it the way it is alone..

Dont you all troop from your osun,ogun,ekiti,ondo,oyo for greener pastures in 'Lagos' as well??..abeg shift with your nonsense 4alk.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by jargo89(m): 3:13pm On Sep 08, 2017
EMMAUGOH:

U should have asked the meaning of efulefu before the long write up. Anyway nobody is denigrating the Yoruba race. It's just that you don't understand the Igbo mind.
Okay then.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by jargo89(m): 3:22pm On Sep 08, 2017
EMMAUGOH:

Okay then.
rainylad:

You are talking bunkum..i dont know why you yorubas have a habit of tagging your personal view of things as facts....Who told you that Igbos in Lagos did/do not experience 'hatred' in Lagos??..

I was born in Lagos whwn it was still the Capital of Nigeria because my father was a civil servant with the then Federal Civil Aviatiin Authority(FCAA) and i know the 'accomodating' bullshitt you lots love to propagate about yourselves are lies from the pit of hell cos you could not do much against Igbos then cos the Federal Government and not yorubas were in control of Lagos state then..

But your true colors came out when FG moved to Abuja leaving Lagos for yorubas to over-run.

Is that a fact or just your opinion? If you have been subjected to tribal-oriented hate, why not tell us about it. You speak against propanganda and you are generating one without any fact to back up your claim. You say Yorubas are not accomodating and there true colors showed after the FG moved to Abuja, and yet the numbers of Igbos keep increasing in that same Lagos. Are you saying the Igbos are insensitive to the maltreatment dished out by the Yorubas and still keep flocking in? You and I know thats not feasible.

You are Igbo (i deduced that from your post) and you should be a proud one. And also learn to appreciate that you were born as one not by choice; the same way other Yorubas had no choice to be one. Then there will be mutual respect.

So instead of antagonising someone else's as opinion before ironically calling your own opinion a fact, why not shun tribalism and embrace humanity.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Olabestonic001(m): 4:49pm On Sep 08, 2017
pazienza:

Igbos are not the only people of colour in America, so the issue of Igbos banding together in America because of colour sounds irrational.
The Igbos in America and diaspora are more enlightened and exposed, they have a better balance view of how functional societies work and frameworks upon which the efficiency of those functional societies are built on and therefore are more likely to rationally dissect and realize that Nigeria as a colonial entity will never cease being a third world country, than an average Igbo lagosian who had been fed with endless one sided propaganda of the civil war by Yoruba media and friends, so much that many of them had developed a chronic form of self hate and need to be in good books of their Yoruba friends and associates.
The end result is that these confused set of Igbos see the world through a Yorubatic lens, and end up having an Igbophobic default setting that often leads to them taking an Igbophobic stand on most issues of national discuss.

IPOB have strong membership amongst diaspora Igbos in North America, Europe and Asia.

The North have no strong propaganda machine. They don't care about propaganda like Yorubas,they are not cunning too, they don't try to hide their Igbophobia like Yorubas do , the average Igbo in North is continually exposed to anti Christianity cum anti Igbo stand of the North, he sees the horror his parents told him that happened in 60s ,in the North everyday, he is constantly being forced to come to terms with the truth. This translates to them being strongly Igbophilic in outlook.

Igbos were discriminated in Lagos and Yorubaland during the war, the Igbo intellectuals in Ibadan soon found out that the place was no longer safe for them, and they had to flee home to the East , it was a moment of truth and understanding for most of them.
The Oba Lil Wayne recently threatened Ndiigbo in SW. What happens with Igbos in SW, is that their inferiority complex driven desire to be accepted as "lagosians" by Yorubas, constantly means that they must display typical Yorubatic Igbophobia towards their fellow Igbos, in futile attempt to gain acceptance. It's akin to the slave camps, where blacks appointed as slave leaders by white masters had to show more cruelty to their fellow blacks in desperate attempt to gain acceptance from white slave masters.
When you see these Lagos Igbos in the Eastern universities, they speak Yoruba amongst themselves, and speak English with irritating, ear aching Yorubatic accent with too many use of Yoruba words like "shey" "abi ", "Kilode ", "Olorunmaje ", "Ema binu " , etc yet they pretend to be irritated that you speak Igbotic English. Many of them can't speak Igbo language. They all suffer from deep seated inferiority complex.

They had all been fed with Igbophobic stories by their Yoruba friends all their lives, that they had concluded that Igbos are bad people, and when you attempt to correct them and tell them your own version of the story, they get upset and accuse you of being hateful.
They in their stupidity don't consider their Yoruba friends and society that ended up making them hate their own people by filling them with Igbophobic stories, hateful, but they consider a fellow Igbo trying to put up a defense against Yorubas Igbo hating propaganda that they had been fed with since birth , hateful. Such is the level of their mental slavery.

NB: Not all Igbos born and raised in Lagos behave this way. My best friend in my University early days was an Aro guy who was born and raised in Lagos, and he spoke flawless Igbo Izugbe, and has a perfect Igbophilic view of the world. His parents did a wonderful job.
The issue of Igbo lagosians, is an issue of poor parenting mostly and other variable factors.

You're still showing the pains I alluded to and your words are like those of deprived blacks in America; they want everyone to pity them !
First, the day all of you outgrow your mentality of Yoruba being your problem is the day you'll experience liberation. To continually think a people who never colonize you have much power on you is weird. Maybe we Yorubas are mind formers as you guys have always announced. It must be great really to be such a people.
Every other thing you wrote calls for somber reflections not angry outbursts; a characteristics Yorubas are famous for (Yoruba r'onu) but you guys seems to be bereaved of.
My parents and people have never in life told me Igbos are 'this' or 'that'. They however told me they are a bit difficult to relate with especially if things do not go their ways. And that's what all of you have ever done. Always emotional when it's not their ways. And I guess that's what your 'Igbo Lagosians' observed; a Yoruba people who are not 'blameful'- oriented but strategically inclined. No sane person will deal much with a man that's always blame all but himself.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Olabestonic001(m): 5:01pm On Sep 08, 2017
rainylad:

And you just repeated the crime you accused me of. Does that mean over 40Million Yorubas have been bad to you? I'm speaking about people that can 'fight' for you in the days of oppression (Yorubas are sure banker on that!) Maybe the person who discriminated against you was one of those whose parents were murdered by the 'rebel' groups at Ore cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Olabestonic001(m): 5:06pm On Sep 08, 2017
EMMAUGOH:

If your bias reasoning is the Igbo 'mind' , then they are really 'Stone-age' minded.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by enimooko: 5:19pm On Sep 08, 2017
prodigy24:
Mod kindly point out where I broke the rules and regulations of nairaland.
No not you, but....

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by pazienza(m): 6:24pm On Sep 08, 2017
Olabestonic001:

You're still showing the pains I alluded to and your words are like those of deprived blacks in America; they want everyone to pity them !
First, the day all of you outgrow your mentality of Yoruba being your problem is the day you'll experience liberation. To continually think a people who never colonize you have much power on you is weird. Maybe we Yorubas are mind formers as you guys have always announced. It must be great really to be such a people.
Every other thing you wrote calls for somber reflections not angry outbursts; a characteristics Yorubas are famous for (Yoruba r'onu) but you guys seems to be bereaved of.
My parents and people have never in life told me Igbos are 'this' or 'that'. They however told me they are a bit difficult to relate with especially if things do not go their ways. And that's what all of you have ever done. Always emotional when it's not their ways. And I guess that's what your 'Igbo Lagosians' observed; a Yoruba people who are not 'blameful'- oriented but strategically inclined. No sane person will deal much with a man that's always blame all but himself.

Lol.
What pains do you talk of?

If it's not pains of having to share a failed third world country with bitter groups like Yoruba and the rest, then you must be hallucinating.

No Igbo man grows up with the mindset of Yorubas being our problem, we grow up knowing that Nigeria is a problem for Ndiigbo, and that Yorubas were and will remain an integral part of the bitter groups who sought and continue to seek to keep Ndiigbo forcefully, as part of the Nigerian disgrace.
This mindset will continue to exist amongst Ndiigbo and Yorubas would continue to justify it through their actions, until Biafra is established as a sovereign nation.

The infamous Yoruba ronu speech of pre civil war, was all about Uniting Yorubas against Ndiigbo by presenting Ndiigbo as villains and cause of Yorubas problems by your Yoruba leaders of those years. The You tube video of that speech is available everywhere today.
So, don't come here acting like you lots have been anything but Igbophobic.

The well parented Igbos in Lagos, whose parents took time to train in Igbo ways and teach our history are always disgusted By Yoruba ways and role in Nigeria. The efulefus with no or poor parental training end up with Igbophobia, since they end up learning about their own people history and stories, through Igbophobic Yoruba friends and sources. This translates to Self hate, since they themselves are Igbos.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by tommynico(m): 8:03pm On Sep 08, 2017
pazienza:

Igbos are not the only people of colour in America, so the issue of Igbos banding together in America because of colour sounds irrational.
The Igbos in America and diaspora are more enlightened and exposed, they have a better balance view of how functional societies work and frameworks upon which the efficiency of those functional societies are built on and therefore are more likely to rationally dissect and realize that Nigeria as a colonial entity will never cease being a third world country, than an average Igbo lagosian who had been fed with endless one sided propaganda of the civil war by Yoruba media and friends, so much that many of them had developed a chronic form of self hate and need to be in good books of their Yoruba friends and associates.
The end result is that these confused set of Igbos see the world through a Yorubatic lens, and end up having an Igbophobic default setting that often leads to them taking an Igbophobic stand on most issues of national discuss.

IPOB have strong membership amongst diaspora Igbos in North America, Europe and Asia.

The North have no strong propaganda machine. They don't care about propaganda like Yorubas,they are not cunning too, they don't try to hide their Igbophobia like Yorubas do , the average Igbo in North is continually exposed to anti Christianity cum anti Igbo stand of the North, he sees the horror his parents told him that happened in 60s ,in the North everyday, he is constantly being forced to come to terms with the truth. This translates to them being strongly Igbophilic in outlook.

Igbos were discriminated in Lagos and Yorubaland during the war, the Igbo intellectuals in Ibadan soon found out that the place was no longer safe for them, and they had to flee home to the East , it was a moment of truth and understanding for most of them.
The Oba Lil Wayne recently threatened Ndiigbo in SW. What happens with Igbos in SW, is that their inferiority complex driven desire to be accepted as "lagosians" by Yorubas, constantly means that they must display typical Yorubatic Igbophobia towards their fellow Igbos, in futile attempt to gain acceptance. It's akin to the slave camps, where blacks appointed as slave leaders by white masters had to show more cruelty to their fellow blacks in desperate attempt to gain acceptance from white slave masters.
When you see these Lagos Igbos in the Eastern universities, they speak Yoruba amongst themselves, and speak English with irritating, ear aching Yorubatic accent with too many use of Yoruba words like "shey" "abi ", "Kilode ", "Olorunmaje ", "Ema binu " , etc yet they pretend to be irritated that you speak Igbotic English. Many of them can't speak Igbo language. They all suffer from deep seated inferiority complex.

They had all been fed with Igbophobic stories by their Yoruba friends all their lives, that they had concluded that Igbos are bad people, and when you attempt to correct them and tell them your own version of the story, they get upset and accuse you of being hateful.
They in their stupidity don't consider their Yoruba friends and society that ended up making them hate their own people by filling them with Igbophobic stories, hateful, but they consider a fellow Igbo trying to put up a defense against Yorubas Igbo hating propaganda that they had been fed with since birth , hateful. Such is the level of their mental slavery.

NB: Not all Igbos born and raised in Lagos behave this way. My best friend in my University early days was an Aro guy who was born and raised in Lagos, and he spoke flawless Igbo Izugbe, and has a perfect Igbophilic view of the world. His parents did a wonderful job.
The issue of Igbo lagosians, is an issue of poor parenting mostly and other variable factors.

Let me correct you; the Yoruba people didn't teach hate or miss inform lagos based igbos, rather, their parents are to be blamed for not telling and teaching their wards about their homeland. You can't expect them to grow and develop their knowledge from birth without parental influence. They grew accustomed to the society they found themselves. Even most yorubas do not remember anything about the biafra war as we'v all moved on with our lives. You were saying something about your people not feeling safe in ibadan during the war, now let me ask you, when your people brought the war into Yoruba land, crossed Benin into ore, what did u expect from us?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by onyegwu(m): 8:57pm On Sep 08, 2017
rainylad:

Always yapping about 'Lagos' like you yorubas made it the way it is alone..

Dont you all troop from your osun,ogun,ekiti,ondo,oyo for greener pastures in 'Lagos' as well??..abeg shift with your nonsense 4alk.
Please try and grow up to know that for u to counter an argument u need to present a more superior argument rather than resorting to insults which happens to be the traits of ur likes. Lagos has been blessed with progressive leaders right from the days of Mobolaji Bank Anthony to Lateef Jakande up to what we are seeing today OK! We can see how u have refuse to make ur own East and decide to make Lagos we can see the correlation indeed! Forget about those coming to Lagos from Oyo, Ondo, Ekiti, Ogun they are all Southwest U too can also go to other Southeast State and reside. Leave Lagos alone OK! Since u are more superior but decide to be retrogressive that's ur own cup of tea and not any bodies headache.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by joeyfire(m): 10:04pm On Sep 08, 2017
OP you shouldn't be too hard on Lagos based Igbos. It is not easy to be at the headquarters of all the propaganda and still keep your thoughts flowing normally. When I lived in Lagos I had very different political outlook from the one I have now.

The typical Lagosian no matter the tribe spends hardly knows anything about any other place besides Lagos so they are generally limited in their exposure and world view

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by GuyfawkesAB(m): 12:52am On Sep 09, 2017
pazienza:

I beg to differ.

Firstly, it is still evident that most of you guys still lay most of the of blame on the Yoruba people for the challenges you are having. You have refused to even consider the influence of the western media and lifestyle, NO. it is always the Yorubas that are responsible for your challenges. This is one of the greatest stumbling blocks to your finding solutions to issues.

Pazienza, you made several faulty points in this submission. You are quite an intelligent guy, but I'm afraid you are ill-informed on several issues or just simply choose to hold a skewed and jaundiced view reeking with prejudiced directed mainly at Yoruba people. You are zealous, but without knowledge and are like a fast moving train running in the wrong direction.

In citing the dominance of the media space by Yorubas as a leverage to spread propaganda to turn Igbos bred in Lagos into minds that lack the same cultural enthusiasm and identification as other igbos, you have failed to also observe that the Yorubas also have the same challenges, if not as grave as that of Igbos.
The Media doesn't propagate any propaganda detrimental to the Igbos and to the advantage of the Yorubas. those are your assumptions to justify your Hatred.

And I think the influence is mainly from western influence (Most of Lagos bred people have a cosmopolitan outlook influenced heavily by foreign adopted role models and celebrities at home that have localized those foreign trends which they readily copy) and a continuous entrenchment of colonial mentality.
Most Yorubas who are bred in Lagos can hardly speak their own dialect, hardly visit their villages and when they do, they look down on the villagers and the culture.

it is simply logical that as Lagos has a larger number of Yoruba people and the language is the most spoken, Igbos and other tribes learn and speak over time. It doesn't connote a re-education to hate your own language and tribe. No one is feeding Igbos with hatred about their tribe. Igbos in Lagos are in no way unaware of their ethnicity. Blame it on the western media and influence, Not on Yorubas.

Rather you should choose to tell your people the truth, because we have realized over time that quite a few of Igbos who arrive in Lagos from the east are mostly on a default mode of hatred for the Yorubas passed down by their parents and propagated by people like you. Yorubas don't readily hate igbos. they welcome them with open arms. But over time, the desperation, attitude and disregard some of your people have shown has formed a wrong impression on Yoruba minds. the average Yoruba exercises caution when dealing with igbos, but it doesn't mean they hate Igbos. We are only cautious based on what some bad ones have done.

As regards Chinua Achebe, I hope providence and God forgives him for the evil legacy he bequeathed his people before he died. Rather than point his people towards peace, tell them to love, forgive and embrace others, he gave them a manual to grow their hatred and wound themselves further (For it is the one who is embittered by hatred that suffers the pains). Never will he be remembered and mentioned like they would Nelson Mandela, Ghandi and Dr. King Jr. because those ones preached reconciliation, forgiveness and peace to their peoples as they sought to awaken their consciousness about their plight and identity.

Rather than growing on hatred, You can learn a lot from Yorubas. We don't blame others for our woes. Whenever critical issues arise and give cause for concern, Hubert Ogunde's song 'Yoruba R'onu' (Yoruba, Think) is easily invoked to engage ourselves and look within to fix our problems.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by GuyfawkesAB(m): 1:05am On Sep 09, 2017
Wow. I had already posted my submission to counter this post by Pazienza before I came saw this. It is clear we wrote from the same mindset that understands the challenges of our IgBo brothers. Well done sir

Olabestonic001:

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by pazienza(m): 10:32am On Sep 09, 2017
GuyfawkesAB:

I beg to differ.

Firstly, it is still evident that most of you guys still lay most of the of blame on the Yoruba people for the challenges you are having. You have refused to even consider the influence of the western media and lifestyle, NO. it is always the Yorubas that are responsible for your challenges. This is one of the greatest stumbling blocks to your finding solutions to issues.

Pazienza, you made several faulty points in this submission. You are quite an intelligent guy, but I'm afraid you are ill-informed on several issues or just simply choose to hold a skewed and jaundiced view reeking with prejudiced directed mainly at Yoruba people. You are zealous, but without knowledge and are like a fast moving train running in the wrong direction.

In citing the dominance of the media space by Yorubas as a leverage to spread propaganda to turn Igbos bred in Lagos into minds that lack the same cultural enthusiasm and identification as other igbos, you have failed to also observe that the Yorubas also have the same challenges, if not as grave as that of Igbos.
The Media doesn't propagate any propaganda detrimental to the Igbos and to the advantage of the Yorubas. those are your assumptions to justify your Hatred.

And I think the influence is mainly from western influence (Most of Lagos bred people have a cosmopolitan outlook influenced heavily by foreign adopted role models and celebrities at home that have localized those foreign trends which they readily copy) and a continuous entrenchment of colonial mentality.
Most Yorubas who are bred in Lagos can hardly speak their own dialect, hardly visit their villages and when they do, they look down on the villagers and the culture.

it is simply logical that as Lagos has a larger number of Yoruba people and the language is the most spoken, Igbos and other tribes learn and speak over time. It doesn't connote a re-education to hate your own language and tribe. No one is feeding Igbos with hatred about their tribe. Igbos in Lagos are in no way unaware of their ethnicity. Blame it on the western media and influence, Not on Yorubas.

Rather you should choose to tell your people the truth, because we have realized over time that quite a few of Igbos who arrive in Lagos from the east are mostly on a default mode of hatred for the Yorubas passed down by their parents and propagated by people like you. Yorubas don't readily hate igbos. they welcome them with open arms. But over time, the desperation, attitude and disregard some of your people have shown has formed a wrong impression on Yoruba minds. the average Yoruba exercises caution when dealing with igbos, but it doesn't mean they hate Igbos. We are only cautious based on what some bad ones have done.

As regards Chinua Achebe, I hope providence and God forgives him for the evil legacy he bequeathed his people before he died. Rather than point his people towards peace, tell them to love, forgive and embrace others, he gave them a manual to grow their hatred and wound themselves further (For it is the one who is embittered by hatred that suffers the pains). Never will he be remembered and mentioned like they would Nelson Mandela, Ghandi and Dr. King Jr. because those ones preached reconciliation, forgiveness and peace to their peoples as they sought to awaken their consciousness about their plight and identity.

Rather than growing on hatred, You can learn a lot from Yorubas. We don't blame others for our woes. Whenever critical issues arise and give cause for concern, Hubert Ogunde's song 'Yoruba R'onu' (Yoruba, Think) is easily invoked to engage ourselves and look within to fix our problems.

No.
We recognize fully that most Yorubas are anti Biafra and pro one Nigeria, and would hate you if they learn that you are pro Biafra. We see Yorubas exhibiting this hate all over the internet, from facebook to on here on NL.
The very idea of a Yoruba person of a non hateful Igbo is the Igbo that hates his own people , castigates them online and denies or make mockery of our Biafran struggle. That's the idea of a good Igbo to an average Yoruba man.
The Igbo man who holds unto our Biafra legacy and seeks for rebirth of Biafran Nation, immediately becomes labelled as a hateful person by a one Nigeria seeking Yoruba person and who would then out of hatred go on to denigrate our Biafra struggle and say many obscene things about the Igbo, prompting the Igbo to retaliate back by sending a more concentrated hatred towards the Yoruba person and his Yoruba ethnic group. Then the cunning treacherous Yoruba will return back chanting that Igbos are hateful people.

The well parented, well bred Igbo man will always be pro Biafra, and the hateful Yorubas will always hate him for that. The hate is coming from your angle, we only return your hate. Stay off our Biafra ideology and quest, stop equating a people quest for an independent nation absent of Arewa odua people for hate. It's not hate that you seek to keep a disinterested people in your failed third world country, but it's hate that the people want out of it all. The psych of the average Yoruba man is really twisted.

Guardiola, Laporta, and other Catalonians are pro Catalonia independence, I guess if Spain were Nigeria, they would be labelled hateful people.

There is nothing to forgive Arewa Oduanistanis of by Ndiigbo, the only forgiveness we have to offer you lots is total severance of any colonial national bond we share with you lots, that's the only forgiveness we have to offer, we are not same people, neither do we share same economic, political,social or cultural ideologies, we have no point of convergence with you. Borders will make us all good neighbours and defuse the built up tensions.
The Igbo don't have problems with Yorubas until we all find out that you people hate us for our ultimate desire to establish Biafra and retrieve ourselves and unborn generation from the bondage of co existence with Odua and their Arewa Muslim brothers.

Achebe died a celebrated man all around, even Times magazine elevated him as the most influential African before he died, his enemies came to pay respect to him. He was a real intellectual who stood by his people, wanted the best for them, and knew they can never get the best in a failed Third World colonial entity.
He was a visionary , a non conformist to colonial chains, African literature can never be complete without the mention of Achebe.
His last masterpiece was needed to wake the Biafra consciousness in some of us who had fallen asleep, we were forgetting who we are(Biafrans) and needed some awakening, Achebe did that for us, and he will forever remain a hero.

Achebe wasn't a freedom fighter, so it's stupid comparing him with Mandela and Luther King jnr, he was more like Diderot, who wished to change people orientation and sell his ideas using the almighty power of ink.

You are just a hater, whose hatred might consume if care is not taken.

Meanwhile, while you continue to search for the perfect Igbo man, which in Yoruba brain would mean an Igbo who would give up on our Biafran ideology and castigate fellow Igbos for supporting Biafra, while promoting a fraudulent failed colonial British estate, I think this fine piece by Okonkwo might help reformat your brains :http://saharareporters.com/2013/08/13/futile-search-good-igbo-rudolf-ogoo-okonkwo

Happy reading.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Ngozi123(f): 6:26pm On Sep 09, 2017
pazienza:

No.
We recognize fully that most Yorubas are anti Biafra and pro one Nigeria, and would hate you if they learn that you are pro Biafra. We see Yorubas exhibiting this hate all over the internet, from facebook to on here on NL.
The very idea of a Yoruba person of a non hateful Igbo is the Igbo that hates his own people , castigates them online and denies or make mockery of our Biafran struggle. That's the idea of a good Igbo to an average Yoruba man.
The Igbo man who holds unto our Biafra legacy and seeks for rebirth of Biafran Nation, immediately becomes labelled as a hateful person by a one Nigeria seeking Yoruba person and who would then out of hatred go on to denigrate our Biafra struggle and say many obscene things about the Igbo, prompting the Igbo to retaliate back by sending a more concentrated hatred towards the Yoruba person and his Yoruba ethnic group. Then the cunning treacherous Yoruba will return back chanting that Igbos are hateful people.

The well parented, well bred Igbo man will always be pro Biafra, and the hateful Yorubas will always hate him for that. The hate is coming from your angle, we only return your hate. Stay off our Biafra ideology and quest, stop equating a people quest for an independent nation absent of Arewa odua people for hate. It's not hate that you seek to keep a disinterested people in your failed third world country, but it's hate that the people want out of it all. The psych of the average Yoruba man is really twisted.

Guardiola, Laporta, and other Catalonians are pro Catalonia independence, I guess if Spain were Nigeria, they would be labelled hateful people.

There is nothing to forgive Arewa Oduanistanis of by Ndiigbo, the only forgiveness we have to offer you lots is total severance of any colonial national bond we share with you lots, that's the only forgiveness we have to offer, we are not same people, neither do we share same economic, political,social or cultural ideologies, we have no point of convergence with you. Borders will make us all good neighbours and defuse the built up tensions.
The Igbo don't have problems with Yorubas until we all find out that you people hate us for our ultimate desire to establish Biafra and retrieve ourselves and unborn generation from the bondage of co existence with Odua and their Arewa Muslim brothers.

Achebe died a celebrated man all around, even Times magazine elevated him as the most influential African before he died, his enemies came to pay respect to him. He was a real intellectual who stood by his people, wanted the best for them, and knew they can never get the best in a failed Third World colonial entity.
He was a visionary , a non conformist to colonial chains, African literature can never be complete without the mention of Achebe.
His last masterpiece was needed to wake the Biafra consciousness in some of us who had fallen asleep, we were forgetting who we are(Biafrans) and needed some awakening, Achebe did that for us, and he will forever remain a hero.

Achebe wasn't a freedom fighter, so it's stupid comparing him with Mandela and Luther King jnr, he was more like Diderot, who wished to change people orientation and sell his ideas using the almighty power of ink.

Meanwhile, while you continue to search for the perfect Igbo man, which in Yoruba brain would mean an Igbo who would give up on our Biafran ideology and castigate fellow Igbos for supporting Biafra, while promoting a fraudulent failed colonial British estate, I think this fine piece by Okonkwo might help reformat your brains :http://saharareporters.com/2013/08/13/futile-search-good-igbo-rudolf-ogoo-okonkwo

Happy reading.

Excellent post. This sums up perfectly the average Igbo-hater's perception of the 'good' Igbo vs the 'bad' Igbo. I wish I could give this post 1000 likes.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Freemancipation: 6:38pm On Sep 09, 2017
Ngozi123:

Excellent post. This sums up perfectly the average Igbo-haters perception of the 'good' Igbo vs the 'bad' Igbo. I wish I could give this post 1000 likes.

Even here on nairaland, the igbos they cheer and clap for are the few lost ones that say they hate Biafra and support fraudgeria.

Now uwazurike has suddenly become their hero because of his betrayal and feud with Nnamdi Kanu. But they spent many years denigrating Uwazurike before Nnamdi Kanu came.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 09, 2017
We are here to talk about our kits and kind but I see some elements trying to force their contribution through in which I know the matter at hand has nothing to do with them.

That's the problem igbos are facing in Nigeria. We have only one tribe in Nigeria that would like to show themselves especially when igbos wants to talk or deal with National issues.

That the problem with you lots, u asked for hate and now you are getting it first hand( thanks to Nnamdi Kanu) if you lots think the Igbo mind is not intelligent enough then the effect is insult upon insult cos poking your nose where it doesn't fit it's a disaster already.

The Igbo born in Lagos come and defend yourselves the tread is directed to.

Yoruba element open another tread if u feel this one is directed at you.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Ngozi123(f): 6:54pm On Sep 09, 2017
Let's just work with like-minded Igbos and leave those efulefus out of our plans. They will get their 'good morning' soon enough.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by Ngozi123(f): 6:57pm On Sep 09, 2017
Freemancipation:

Even here on nairaland, the igbos they cheer and clap for are the few lost ones that say they hate Biafra and support fraudgeria.

Now uwazurike has suddenly become their hero because of his betrayal and feud with Nnamdi Kanu. But they spent many years denigrating Uwazurike before Nnamdi Kanu came.

Don't mind them. Many Igbos have now woken up to the anti-Igbo propaganda promulgated from several media houses, mostly in Lagos. This is why I always say that I do not care what a non-Igbo Nigerian says, thinks or feels about Igbo issues.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by tommynico(m): 12:59am On Sep 10, 2017
pazienza:

No.

Happy reading.

From what I read through the quoted epistle, you are the one spewing bitterness and hatred.....it's so foolish and stupid at thesame time. If the Yorubas wants one Nigeria, it's all about love, not wanting you to break some kind of brotherly love and affection that has developed at the base of the conjoined relationship between igbos and yorubas. you want your biafra on the basis of the hatred you have for the Hausa and Yoruba which is not good for your rational mind thereby influencing your judgements. Yorubas generally do not speak in bitterness about the igbos but it's you and your type that bring such out of them, most especially online, with your abusive and annoying, and sometimes stupid arguments and comparisons due to your pride and inferiority complex at times. The igbos based in Lagos are more matured and open minded than most of your brethren in the east because they never let past history distort their veiws about other tribes and people, instead, they pick what they can learn from it and discard the rest. Nobody is saying you shouldn't agitate for your beloved biafra, not at all, but ur agitations shouldn't be based on your dislike or hatred of other tribes.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by sixtuso(m): 3:20am On Sep 10, 2017
Good question my brother...
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by gnykelly(m): 4:35am On Sep 10, 2017
prodigy24:
First of all I want to thank the mods for always being unjust in their actions and inactions.

I welcome myself from the long term ban, handed to me due to my consistency in slaying and shredding afonjas and any Igbo hater.

I pride myself as the colonel Marshall of Igbo people on nairaland. I have sworn to protect and defend any attack on the Igbo race across the world.

From Igbo Land to America, to Europe to northern Nigeria to western Nigeria to Asia etc.
I have been doing that,and will continue to do that till I meet my ancestors.

Since I was banned, I completely left nairaland for another social media platform,where I hold my ground in defence of the every attack on Igbo race.
However I have had several encounters that have shaped my thought on Igbo lagosians.

What is Igbo lagosians or who are the Igbo lagosians?
In my opinion, Igbo lagosians are those Igbos born/raised/reside in Lagos.

Just like the way we have Igbo America, which happens to be the strongest Igbo community in the world after Igbo Land. well that will be a topic for another day.
So back to the topic,

Lagos state,was the seat of British colony and the former capital of Nigeria. It happens to be the smallest state in Nigeria, the 5th largest economy in Africa, the economy hub of west Africa, the must advanced city in Nigeria, the centre of excellence, the capital of information technology, entertainment etc.

It has more population of Igbo people than a state in the south east.
Many Igbo people have migrated to this state for over hundred years. Raised their families, with some having up to 4th generation living in Lagos state.
They do not have any other place they call home, while some still keep touch to their state of origins.
They have contributed immensely to the development of the state.
Sadly i have observed a very disturbing trend from some Igbo lagosians. They are at forefront in attacking Igbo people and Igbo land. The northern Igbo, American Igbo have never undermined the Igbo people no matter the situation.
So I ask why are they always at the forefront insulting Igbo people and Igbo land?
Joe Igbo comes to mind. There are so many of them,especially on Twitter.
Let's have your thought..

https://www.nairaland.com/4033092/biafra-why-it-may-never

Maybe you should read my write up about their perception
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by lazeal: 4:45am On Sep 10, 2017
PentiumPro:

Wrong place. Go and ask them the question directly on twitter.
you have no forking business here. There is a thread for yorubas and I will appreciate that you leave.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by lazeal: 4:54am On Sep 10, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Which one is Lagos Igbo?....igbo is igbo....you guys should stop sidelining some people...they are as Igbo as the ones in the SE..must everybody agree to the same thing?
that is one problem I have noticed about all these guys. Sometimes, I wonder the kind of education they acquired.

Igbos, everything is not BY FORCE! You just like using force for every forking thing and it's bad.
Re: Why Are Some Igbo Lagosians Are Problematic And Ignorant To Igbo Nation by GuyfawkesAB(m): 8:02am On Sep 10, 2017
I understand all that you have posited.

But I don't quite agree with you about an average Yoruba only sees the anti-Biafra Igbo as the good Igbo. That's a fallacy (of generalization). Politically from the outset in 1960 up till now, Yorubas and Igbos have always found themselves on opposing sides, (With the Igbos having a longer relationship of alliance with the Fulani/Hausa than even the Yorubas who have played more opposition than any other tribe). Besides, there is this view that at those times when the Yorubas made political attempts at the seat of power, the Igbos came in handy to the Fulani/Hausa to scuttle the process...(that's another debate for another day).
I mentioned the above because each time we hear and see Igbos pointing accusing fingers at us and blaming Yorubas for their woes, we are amazed. You had a sweet political romance with the Hausa/Fulani hegemony, times at which Yorubas were marginalized and denigrated (we took it our stride and don't blame you for our failings and loss at those times), we never made you out as the cause of our losses.

Your people have gotten the least gains of their political alliances over the years and yet you blame us. That is the core of your anger towards the Nigerian contraption. For that you are free to demand for independence, for a Biafra of your own.

Yorubas don't hate you because you are pro-biafra, what they frown at and fight is when you loop us into your blame game and hurl insults at our culture and peoples. I am most definitely sure, that Guardiola, Laporta and co have not taken the route of insulting other Spaniards or blaming them for any of their own challenges.

You want your own Country. Fine.No sane Yoruba will deny you that, I have very close Igbo friends who are seriously supporting the current Biafran movement and I can only appreciate the awakening in the land, not just of Igbos but of every other tribe that feels that this Nation is structurally and politically skewed.

Fine, you declared that we don't share anything in common. It is a good enough reason to ask to be released from Nigeria. But when you go about it the wrong route, then what you are getting now is the result.
Rather than gather constitutional Lawyers, reach out to other revolutionary-minded people in other tribes (to also create consciousness in other places so as not to isolate your movement. Like the ANC did in the Rhodesias and Namibia which brought more attention to their struggles) and strategize on how to execute this effectively, you went to town to stir and spread hatred.

What we won't accept is for you to start saying trash about us and blame us for your unsucessful sojurn in the Nigerian political space that has brought you the least gains. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT. Blame the Wayas, Mbadiwes, Okadigbos, Ekwuemes, Walter Ofonagoros, the Iwealas, Soludos, Ekweremadus... who had not make the most of your opportunities

Do I think a restructured Nigeria an work? Yes I do.
Do I thnik Igbos should get their own country if they want to? Yes I do
And so do a lot of Yorubas.

pazienza:

No.

Happy reading.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Buhari Left Handed Or Right Handed? I'm Really Confused. Picture / Court Orders EFCC To Stop Further Action Against Okorocha / Malami: I Have Not Made Any Statement On Declaring To Be Kebbi Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 255
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.