Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,730 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold (4201 Views)

How To Know When Car Tyres Need Replacing / Black Smoke From Exhaust. / Please Help me. My 1999 Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke and Consuming Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 1:00pm On Sep 08, 2017
My people please help a brother. I created a topic about my 1999 Seinna is emitting black smoke and consuming a lot of fuel. I was advised by experts here to scan it and get back here.

Here are the codes that where generated by Autel maxidas ds708

P0100: Air Flow meter circuit

P0110: Intake Air  Temperature circuit

P0115: Engine coolant Temperature circuit malfunction

P0120: Throttle position sensor circuit

P0710: Transmission fluid Temperature sensor circuit malfunction.

P01600: Engine ECU BATT malfunction
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by hayjayman(m): 1:19pm On Sep 08, 2017
All the problems here indicate that you have a circuit problem, that's a circuit problem, some wires in your wire harness might have been shorted or warped... Don't touch the listed parts in the trouble codes, just the wiring system. A good and professional vehicle electrician should be able to trace and fix this for you or you check fuses
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 1:29pm On Sep 08, 2017
hayjayman:
All the problems here indicate that you have a circuit problem, that's a circuit problem, some wires in your wire harness might have been shorted or warped... Don't touch the listed parts in the trouble codes, just the wiring system. A good and professional vehicle electrician should be able to trace and fix this for you or you check fuses

Okay brother. The mechanic that scanned for me said his laptop battery is dead and that he will get back to me when its charged..Thank you brother
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 1:32pm On Sep 08, 2017
GAZZUZZ, Kingreign, Honmusa, diportivo, cardoctor, timifakay, nurey
please help a brother
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by diportivo: 1:57pm On Sep 08, 2017
where is tonychristopher when u need him

seemingly as this looks like a tropicalization fall out undecided

these codes pretty much sums up the reason ur engine is doing like Perkins

u need a competent rewire/mecho

1 Like

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 1:58pm On Sep 08, 2017
diportivo:
where is tonychristopher when u need him

seemingly as this looks like a tropicalization fall out undecided

these codes pretty much sums up the reason ur engine is doing like Perkins

u need a competent rewire/mecho

Okay Brother
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by nurey(m): 2:20pm On Sep 08, 2017
I specifically asked you to snap pix of that plug and play device and your engine let me confirm something, you didn't.

The truth is if your car has been abused to an extent no amount of scanning will pinpoint the issue evidence is even here on nairaland where a rav4 refused to start just because of wire remix.

Most of those codes aren't going to cause issue, some of them even looks weird "engine ECU battery malfunction"

Maybe it's time you bought a Bluetooth scanner and do the needful yourself
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 2:31pm On Sep 08, 2017
nurey:
I specifically asked you to snap pix of that plug and play device and your engine let me confirm something, you didn't.

The truth is if your car has been abused to an extent no amount of scanning will pinpoint the issue evidence is even here on nairaland where a rav4 refused to start just because of wire remix.

Most of those codes aren't going to cause issue, some of them even looks weird "engine ECU battery malfunction"

Maybe it's time you bought a Bluetooth scanner and do the needful yourself

Am really sorry brother. I lost 2 important people in my life within 2days and I was confused. this is what I was talking about, find attached a picture.

I later observed that the car starts when cold and of course still emits black smoke.
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 2:48pm On Sep 08, 2017
This is it brother.

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by nurey(m): 2:51pm On Sep 08, 2017
ggakunna:
This is it brother.

The picture am seeing here is your fuel pump nah. Is it not under the seat at the middle row seats?

Also your engine pix let it show fully.
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 2:54pm On Sep 08, 2017
nurey:

The picture am seeing here is your fuel pump nah. Is it not under the seat at the middle row seats?

Also your engine pix let it show fully.

Yes thats exactly what I unplug and plug before the car can start while hot.

Find attached the engine pics. I hope its enough cos am not close to the car right now bro.

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by nurey(m): 3:12pm On Sep 08, 2017
ggakunna:

Yes thats exactly what I unplug and plug before the car can start while hot.

Find attached the engine pics. I hope its enough cos am not close to the car right now bro.

Ok, your car has been reconnected and it's off the charts. You still need a competent mechanic though to help you fix the issue, now first stop touching the fuel pump and find a good rewire to help you check it's functionality you can also change the filter of the fuel pump.

After that we move to the codes.

Behind that big box, there is a sensor plugged, ensure it is plugged in and wire intact, let them open it up and check the filter clean the filter or replace outright and clean the box too.

From the box going backwards, it's rubber hose meets with a metallic pipe, this will have to be dismantled and the butterfly sprayed with carburetor sprayer it has to me cleaned out. Then everything fixed back to factory.

Has work been done on your plugs? If it has been replaced did they replace with iridium tipped or nah the #200 naira own them use.

Do all that, clear code, drive a while and rescan.

There are some kazeem signature I can see all over the car I think your fan is run direct and thermostat has been removed. Your issue majorly is finding a good technician to do the right thing and to tell you the truth it's not going to be a cheap fix.

Follow up on that thread to learn something
https://www.nairaland.com/1501331/black-exhaust-smoke-toyota-sienna
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 3:29pm On Sep 08, 2017
nurey:

Ok, your car has been reconnected and it's off the charts. You still need a competent mechanic though to help you fix the issue, now first stop touching the fuel pump and find a good rewire to help you check it's functionality you can also change the filter of the fuel pump.

Behind that big box, there is a sensor plugged, ensure it is plugged in and wire intact, let them open it up and check the filter clean the filter or replace outright and clean the box too.

From the box going backwards, it's rubber hose meets with a metallic pipe, this will have to be dismantled and the butterfly sprayed with carburetor sprayer it has to me cleaned out. Then everything fixed back to factory.

Has work been done on your plugs? If it has been replaced did they replace with iridium tipped or nah the #200 naira own them use.

There are some kazeem signature I can see all over the car I think your fan is run direct and thermostat has been removed. Your issue majorly is finding a good technician to do the right thing and to tell you the truth it's not going to be a cheap fix.

No work has been done on the plugs.

And you are right about the "Kazeem signature". He even told me that I need to buy " half and top" engine to solve the issue after quarrelling with him over delays. That was when I knew water don pass carry.
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by timifakay(m): 4:36pm On Sep 08, 2017
Bros, how come the fuel tank cap is missing?
Who thought you the unplug fuel pump trick?
What happened before you started fiddling with the fuel pump?

Your vehicle problem may be two fold.
1. Fuel pump issues.
2. Engine wear.

1. The Socket in your pic is attached to the fuel pump.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5934669_screenshot20170908143348_jpeg1cbe761cf3076ed8ba364bc9cc4de288
Did you clear codes and rescan after running car for about 10minutes?
You will need to do a fuel pressure test to know the condition of your fuel pump.
Loss of power after braking and inability to start till its cold could be a signs of a failing fuel pump.

2. Did you notice the car smoking before the car started working erratically? Have you ever noticed significant drop in engine oil level between service intervals?

Solve the car erratic operation first and we see if smoking continues...
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 5:01pm On Sep 08, 2017
timifakay:
Bros, how come the fuel tank cap is missing?
Who thought you the unplug fuel pump trick?
What happened before you started fiddling with the fuel pump?

Did you clear codes and rescan after running car for about 10minutes?

2. Did you notice the car smoking before the car started working erratically?

Have you ever noticed significant drop in engine oil level between service intervals?

Solve the car erratic operation first and we see if smoking continues...

The mechanic who came to my house to pick the car did it in my presence when the car stopped on the way.

Yes we cleared the codes and rescanned.

Yes the car started smoking before behaving erratically.

No I haven't noticed any drop in engine oil level.

Many Thanks bro
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by honmusa(m): 5:09pm On Sep 08, 2017
ggakunna:

The mechanic who came to my house to pick the car did it in my presence when the car stopped on the way.

Many Thanks bro
Where is your location !!! your car need a professional touch .Black smoking is a sign that the ecu is getting flawed signal from the sensor probably due to electrical short or whatsoever !!
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 5:17pm On Sep 08, 2017
honmusa:

Where is your location !!! your car need a professional touch .Black smoking is a sign that the ecu is getting flawed signal from the sensor probably due to electrical short or whatsoever !!

Abakaliki, Ebonyi State
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by honmusa(m): 6:12pm On Sep 08, 2017
ggakunna:

Many Thanks bro
The fuel consumption is so high that it is choking the engine to go off and the only way to reduce this inflow and to prevent the engine going off cos of the choking by fuel is to cut off the fuel supply for some period by manually removing the fuel supply which why the kazeemisation method of removing of fuel pump socket seems to work for you .
I am sure if you check your tailpipe u will be smelling raw fuel but this level of kazeemisation is second to none o!!
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by honmusa(m): 6:52pm On Sep 08, 2017
ggakunna:

Abakaliki, Ebonyi State
sorry I don't have anybody in that area !! but I can still give u remote support if you can call me and make available a scanner that can stream live data !!
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by timifakay(m): 6:56pm On Sep 08, 2017
ggakunna:

Many Thanks bro
You should do a live data stream, check MAF values, fuel trims and O2 sensor values... when you want to do the fuel pressure test.
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 9:40am On Sep 09, 2017
timifakay:

You should do a live data stream, check MAF values, fuel trims and O2 sensor values... when you want to do the fuel pressure test.

okay bro
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 10:03am On Sep 09, 2017
nurey:

Brother, your "it's not going to be a cheap fix" comment caught my attention. lol..

I know the question am about asking is absurd and probably not at the right time considering that the faults have not been "valued". However, I will ask anyway.

How much (range) do you think its going to cost to do all this? or better still, do you think selling this car is the best considering the issues/faults presented ?
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by nurey(m): 10:21am On Sep 09, 2017
ggakunna:

Brother, your "it's not going to be a cheap fix" comment caught my attention. lol..

I know the question am about asking is absurd and probably not at the right time considering that the faults have not been "valued". However, I will ask anyway.

How much (range) do you think its going to cost to do all this? or better still, do you think selling this car is the best considering the issues/faults presented ?

Selling the car depends on the repair value and your pocket to afford the fix.

I can't give you a face value as I don't know the prices of what parts you will change and what parts can be salvaged. Honmusa has agreed to help you with a remote diagnosis why don't you get a scanner probably the Bluetooth one and scan the vehicle yourself it should only set you back by 5k and you use you android phone to read all the necessary data.

My brothers office mate bought a Toyota sienna naija abused too, he had to sell it when the wahala. Was just too much. It would have been much easier if you had a sincere technician to put you through.

The first step is to revert back to manufacturer specs then see what parts the kazeem has damaged and needs changing then budget for it. Because professional touch would be involved that's the reason for my "not cheap fix statement"
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 10:58am On Sep 09, 2017
Don't be in a hurry to start thinking of selling the vehicle - in this state you cannot even get N500,000.00

I have no problem with old school analysis...but vehicles have evolved...to fix vehicles today you need to combine old school analysis with new school analysis ( read that to mean computer aided diagnosis)

Here is what Toyota itself recommends:

See pictures attached taken from your vehicle's Factory Service Manual

Why don't we go scientific, systematic and methodical?

Or would you prefer to fling it off for 200,000.00 to 400,000 and someone will spend less than 300,000.00 to put in back in shape?

By the way, any attempt to solve the myriad issues without referring to factory information is doomed to fail, that I can verily assure

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 11:12am On Sep 09, 2017
P0100

To resolve this issue, we have 4 areas to investigate:

1. Open circuit in the mass air flow meter circuit
2. Short circuit in the mass air flow meter circuit
3. Faulty Mass Air Flow meter
4. ECM

That investigation will narrow down what went wrong, and consequently what needs to be fixed to cause this code to disappear

More Electrical than mechanical issue here

UPDATED

with wiring diagram

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 11:14am On Sep 09, 2017
P0110

1. Open circuit in the intake air temperature circuit
2. Short circuit in the intake air temperature circuit
3. Faulty intake air temperature (which is part of the mass air flow sensor meter)
4. ECM

That investigation will narrow down what went wrong, and consequently what needs to be fixed to cause this code to disappear

More electrical than mechanical

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 11:16am On Sep 09, 2017
P0115

1. Open circuit in the Engine coolant temperature circuit
2. Short circuit in the Engine coolant temperature circuit
3. Faulty Engine coolant temperature circuit
4. ECM

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 11:18am On Sep 09, 2017
P0120

1. Open circuit in the throttle position sensor circuit
2. Short circuit in the throttle position sensor circuit
3. Faulty throttle position sensor circuit
4. ECM

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 11:20am On Sep 09, 2017
P0710

1. Open circuit in the ATF Temperature Sensor circuit
2. Short circuit in the ATF Temperature Sensor circuit
3. Faulty throttle position sensor circuit
4. ECM

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 11:21am On Sep 09, 2017
P1600

To resolve this issue, we have 2 areas to investigate:

1. Open circuit in the backup power source circuit
2. ECM

Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by AutoElectNG: 11:56am On Sep 09, 2017
Now let me try to put your mind at ease.

You have 6 DTCs

Three of the DTCs are related (P0110, P0115 AND P0120) and whenever they turn up at the same time, it is most likely that you have an open circuit at the Sensor Ground E2 will most likely be resolved by one remedial action.

That leaves us with just 3 more codes - P0100 and P0710 and P1600 which can all be tackled individually by comparing electrical values with factory specs to determine where there is an open or short or a failed component and if there is an open or short (fixing the wiring harness with that problem) or where there is a failed component, replacing the failed component

My money is on electrical wiring harness issues...Did you replace the engine or the transmission, what work was recently done to this vehicle resulting in such massive abuse to its electrical wiring system?

In competent hands, in less than 3 to 4 hours, all these issues will be history.

I would start with fixing P0115 and hope that also fixed P0110 and P0120, where it does not fix them, then I will go ahead to fix them one by one. This is because the ECT input is so crucial to the ECM operating close to its design parameters and overall vehicular function.

Then I would move to P0100 (because of its role in air/fuel mixture) and P0710( I don't want the transmission to self-destruct, the ECM/TCM needs to know the temperature of the transmission fluid in addition to the inputs from other sensors within the transmission to make intelligent instead of misguided shifting operations) and finally P1600.

Good luck in your search for a solution and accept my sympathies over your loss of two dear souls, may God provide you the comfort you so badly need at this time.
Re: My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold by ggakunna: 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2017
AutoElectNG:
Now let me try to put your mind at ease.

You have 6 DTCs

Three of the DTCs are related (P0110, P0115 AND P0120) and whenever they turn up at the same time, it is most likely that you have an open circuit at the Sensor Ground E2 will most likely be resolved by one remedial action.

That leaves us with just 3 more codes - P0100 and P0710 and P1600 which can all be tackled individually by comparing electrical values with factory specs to determine where there is an open or short or a failed component and if there is an open or short (fixing the wiring harness with that problem) or where there is a failed component, replacing the failed component

My money is on electrical wiring harness issues...Did you replace the engine or the transmission, what work was recently done to this vehicle resulting in such massive abuse to its electrical wiring system?

In competent hands, in less than 3 to 4 hours, all these issues will be history.

I would start with fixing P0115 and hope that also fixed P0110 and P0120, where it does not fix them, then I will go ahead to fix them one by one. This is because the ECT input is so crucial to the ECM operating close to its design parameters and overall vehicular function.

Then I would move to P0100 (because of its role in air/fuel mixture) and P0710( I don't want the transmission to self-destruct, the ECM/TCM needs to know the temperature of the transmission fluid in addition to the inputs from other sensors within the transmission to make intelligent instead of misguided shifting operations) and finally P1600.

Good luck in your search for a solution and accept my sympathies over your loss of two dear souls, may God provide you the comfort you so badly need at this time.

Wow....Am honored brother. Am honored.....Am honored.....I wish I understand a thing or two about cars...Am mesmerized. I thank you very much for your concerns. I will definitely pass this on to my mechanic (the man that scanned the car). I met him today in his workshop and he told me (he was quite confident in the way he spoke unlike the "kazeem" that said I need to buy "half and top" engine) that by Tuesday I should come and "carry" my car.

I psyched him by telling him about my online experts/friends and showing him all your submissions and comments. He was impressed that someone on this forum could recommend him. My fear now is that he is charging me as "low" as 25k payable only when he is done with the car on tuesday. Tuesday? this car has been in the other mechanics shop for 3weeks now. And considering all the "faults", I feared it will drain my pocket, hence my "selling" comment...He only told me to buy oil that the one in the car is as black as charcoal and as watery as distilled water (I confirmed this myself as I was surprised).

To your question my brother, the engine was not changed neither was the transmission to the best of my knowledge. Concerning the abuse, I left the car for my siblings in Lagos when I moved down to Ebonyi for a faculty Job change. Since the economy is hard and the ASUU strike is on going and the government may start "no work no pay" soon, I decided to bring the car down here over 2 months ago.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade / Tokunbo Golf 4 For Sale At Take Away Price / Matching Car Paint For My Car.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.