Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,445 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds - Pets (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (56996 Views)

Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? / Ekuke Lovers Trend / All About The Nigerian Shepherd Dog (Ekuke, Nkita) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Mbediogu(m): 8:57pm On Sep 11, 2017
soberdrunk:
Op i agree with your points except "No.4", we had an Ekuke' many years ago and when armed robbers visited, the dog did not make a single sound and we didnt see the dog for 'two days' angry

Ps-The dog had an unusual appetite for licking engine oil and destroying slippers and shoes........

Life is sweet, who wants to die? The dog used African sense. It went to alert the vigilante and police, but unfortunately before it came back with team, the cowardly robbers screamed. The long period it took was due to bad road.

6 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by chineduemmao: 9:03pm On Sep 11, 2017
The comments here can cure high-bp ahh swear!.... LWKMD

6 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by hokafor(m): 9:04pm On Sep 11, 2017
Trusting ekuke to secure your home, is like believing APC will give u dividends of democracy

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by chineduemmao: 9:12pm On Sep 11, 2017
colossus91:
my ekuke is crazily aggressive and doesn't eat poo,its all abt training,my dog fetches,and listens to me anytime if i tell her no she stops doing watever she's doing.......i love her so much she's the first dog i av ever had!!
love ke? hmmm! mind yoursefooo i don't need dat oyinbo shît 4 here ooo #iwanttomarrymydog

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by blueeyes1: 9:24pm On Sep 11, 2017
I don't know why people say ekukes are not security conscious, I use to have one until last year when I gave it to calabar people.
Chai! That dog wicked die! Dem no born anybody to enter compound,na bite straight,and na Yansh e dey target, very wicked b:itch,e no let any dog cross am,na so e go fight the dog.
That dog na terror abeg,whether na because I train am with kai-kai and weed or whether na the name(Rudy) affect am.,very wicked thing, at a point, I thought it was possessed.

13 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by sharpwriter(m): 9:24pm On Sep 11, 2017
Ishilove:

Won't sell him because he was very loyal when he was still active. He gave us his very best.

Now that he is old and useless, we will nurse him till he expires peacefully
It's well. Good mistress wink

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Biodun1929(m): 9:46pm On Sep 11, 2017
owensking:

At all...them nor dey miss road. Na so one time a way back then...our ekuke bite one of our stubborn neighbor kid wey dey always look for troubles for our compound. After momsy spent so much on the kid's treatment...Na she vex use car carry Buddy (the dog) go sell to one calabar man wey get pepper joint a mile away for another town....that day eh...momsy got the shock of her life when she return to see the ekuke wey she go sell with us for parlour dey watch film...beside momsy nor tell us say she dey go sell the dog oh cuz she know say we nor go agree. We all surprised when momsy shout Jesus!..after seeing d ekuke sleeping under uncle leg for parlour while watching film...Na momsy come yarn say she been go sell the dog cuz she nor want dog bite wahala again...that day eh momsy come change her mind leave the dog with us...then go return the money to the calabar man wey she see for road the find the dog.. The dog spent 12yrs with us before she died.. Omo that day eh...I cried like there is not tmrw cuz that ekuke pains me!..was always part of the family.

LMAO! Jesus!!! lol! I can imagine.

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by chuks432: 9:53pm On Sep 11, 2017
youngreva:
The only reason why i love this breed is dat they are very nutritious when consumed

Calabar man spotted right there

4 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by DozieInc(m): 10:19pm On Sep 11, 2017
solomto:
Ekuke is good when trained well, the issue of security depends on how you trained it. If you want it to be aggressive like your foreign dog don't allow her to be close to people and also to be moving around the street. If you feed him well and keep her confined to your compound,you will love it.
The only difference comparing it wt some foreign dogs is size and their fur.
so true

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by psp2pc(m): 10:21pm On Sep 11, 2017
one of my friends dog, this one na middle of main road e De like sleep.. if car de come, u must horn before he use swagger catwalk comot for road, then go back wait till next car go com do same thing. the wicked dog no gree nack the bitxhes for dia street and any other ekuke wey stroll come him area come nack, na fight the mofo dog De fight them..
na 1500 my guy sell am to one calabar guy..

6 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Blonchilli(m): 10:53pm On Sep 11, 2017
MrDickman:

used to have an ekuke close to my house that hides behind the owner and be barking. Na dog suppose dey protect owner but na this ekuke go dey seek for protection instead grin

Also noticed many of them na for night when everywhere don dark dem dey get power. When dem know u no fit see them stone dem go con dey bark from one angle. grin. u sef fear go con catch you small
Ekuke are very useless. They will be barking and using style to run grin it's when they see the person is scared they'll ginger. Just go after them and you'll wonder who is the thief among you two

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Blonchilli(m): 10:55pm On Sep 11, 2017
soberdrunk:
Op i agree with your points except "No.4", we had an Ekuke' many years ago and when armed robbers visited, the dog did not make a single sound and we didnt see the dog for 'two days' angry

Ps-The dog had an unusual appetite for licking engine oil and destroying slippers and shoes........
The ekuke had to make sure the coast was clear na. I have 2 Boerbels and initially they use to eat my slipper but after some strong hand they know their boundry. Ekuke go eat that slipper till I break it's leg
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Stallione(m): 11:49pm On Sep 11, 2017
youngreva:
E get one ekuke for ma area,this thing specializes in eating poo from baby diapers near the dustbin.the dog will open the diapers carefully like a pro and then consume the shit,you will not even see any trace left.

The dog just died recently,ithink its as a result of eating too much infested shit.........say no to ekuke the shit chopper.

;DE

Some guys funny eeeh grin

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by FreshestManny(m): 12:22am On Sep 12, 2017
Ekukes are really funny dog breeds. I stumbled on my landlord's ekuke eating stones. Pictures attached. Lol

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by mercytripletz: 12:30am On Sep 12, 2017
Can I an Ekuke that is neither black nor brown? I have never seen an Ekuke that is not black nor brown or is that their colour?
how much can I get a puppy? preferably few days old?
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by barcaboi(m): 1:00am On Sep 12, 2017
u are right with immunity and disease but did u realise parvo and rabies is common with local dogs?
2. feeding? many people make their cash back from selling puppies and I doubt local dogs sell higher than 3k
3. can u honestly tell me an ekuke dog can stand when threatened? my Caucasian cut 3 chains and never backs down from a fight resdy 2 die
4. u mentioned longevity; and saying even if u starve them.....a dog is part of the family and u seeing it as less will make u starve ur dog.....and a frnd has a dog dats 10yrs already and I have 1 dats 8yrs plus......
my dogs also go to where d pawpaw tree is and eat 2 their fill wch also helps dem.....
people wld appreciate a local dog if or when the owner takes good care of it; vaccination n medication, feeding, training and not some idea of rearing dem to fend for themselves and abt hunting I'd like 2 use u as bait and see if my dogs won't hunt u.....

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by 0taPiaPia(m): 1:46am On Sep 12, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Pictures of your ekuke eating yam or adonbelivit

we have a female boerbull that eats almost anything you can name. from akara to yam, cake, plantian.. just name it (as long as she sites you eating it). and she loves soapy water over clean water.

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Fvcknames: 2:43am On Sep 12, 2017
why must Nigeria's own be different

See the stray dogs abroad Abi na still the economy

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Proudlyngwa(m): 3:11am On Sep 12, 2017
0taPiaPia:

we have a female boerbull that eats almost anything you can name. from akara to yam, cake, plantian.. just name it (as long as she sites you eating it). and she loves soapy water over clean water.

Is the soapy water not harmful to it.
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Abbotp: 6:10am On Sep 12, 2017
My brother....The appetite that dogs generally have for slippers and other foot wear baffles me. After spending 28k on a bag of food and 550 naira per tin of the can food, both the Caucasian and the local dog still destroy foot wear......surely, they do it because of a penchant for destroying shoes not hunger!!
soberdrunk:

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by BraniacX(m): 7:56am On Sep 12, 2017
sharpwriter:

Lol....dat one na rascal, engine oil keh. cheesy ut wht I knw is that these dogs have different personalities like humans. The one we have now is warm and of normal temper, and doesn't even complain when our pigeons share his food with him. He alerts us of intruders, and is sensitive. But we had a mad one before that shouts like crazy, and loves food a lot. The rascal even dey steal chicken eggs den till my dad beat am silly. Also, we tried rearing one sometime ago; this one destroys slippers like yours and always look miserable and unhappy even as a young dog. In my friend's house, the one wey dem get there na complete mumu with its tallness; na only sluggishness plus stretching like a lazy worker that one sabi; the doggo jus dey look like lucozade. They really do have different personalities.
this is spot on
There is one at one beer parlor i patronized not too long ago that belonged to the owners of the parlor, in fact there were two of them male and female, they looked so healthy and fat that you wouldn't know they were our local breed even though they were standing in front of you, they were also super friendly, they adopted every customer to the bar as a their quasi-owner for the period they were in the establishment. They were so friendly and cute that we took turns to support their begging ministry and feed them the solid contents of our peppersoups grin then i knew why they were so Garfield like fat and Otis like friendly cheesy they had adapted to their environment wink and boy did they scam us and did we enjoy being scammed grin they even divided their begging arena, the female begged and entertained customers inside the bar proper while the male had the customers at the tables outside the bar proper, needless to say it was a well patronized beer parlor!
Those dogs are humans abeg!
I can't say whose ministry was more successful, the dog's or the owner's grin cheesy

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by BraniacX(m): 8:19am On Sep 12, 2017
Ishilove:

Better grin
he be don forget say dog when don dey with you 15 years and senior many of your children na family member and na uncle den dey call that one grin him want make you do unclecide! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Josephamstrong1(m): 8:23am On Sep 12, 2017
Lwkmd! grin grin I can relate o, lol!

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Dexema(m): 8:40am On Sep 12, 2017
UrennaNkoli:
We all know about our local breeds we find around. Call it basenji, call it indian pariah call it ekuke, call it meat 404 call it stray dogs, call it shit eaters but truth is, these breeds need more care and need not to be treated like a pack of shit grin

Here are some reasons why you should own an ekuke over that caucasian , pitbull , samoyed or GSD you so much crave for

1. Immunity and disease resistance

Have you ever seen an ekuke being dewormed or vaccinated at birth? Fact is no and never. Why ? Well thats because these breeds are so much immune to so many diseases affecting canines. You'll see them in gutters and dump yards yet, dem go still dey healthy cheesy. But with that boarboel of yours, you'll always be scared of pavo virus and the rest hoping your 150k + doesn't go with the wind. You can't even let your dogs out anyhow but with an ekuke, you don't need to be worried.

2. Feeding

Some people spend 10k+ every month just to feed their GSD. Some spend 15k+ just to feed their caucasian. With your local breed, why should you spend that much when all you have to do is feed it the remains of last night's food. They'll eat anything, they don't complain. Give them eba, they'll eat. If you want to treat them well, give them spoilt beans, they'll love you for ever.

3. Cost
To get a very pure boarboel from S.A, ready your 200k+ , same goes for caucasian and about 150k+ for a good GSD but with your 1k, you can get your local dog. Some even goes for as low as 500 naira. So come to think of it, why spend that much on just a dog that can die at any time. cheesy

4. Security
Some say these breeds are not security conscious but thats a fat lie. If you want to mess with them visit them at night when they are most active. (Which thief or burglar operates during the day tho). They are naturally sight hounds and speed hounds (hunters use them to catch meat and their success rate is 90%). They'll alert you way before any intruder gets in. Moreover, why spend 100 thousand naira or more on a foreign breed when you can get 100 ekukes to guard your home grin (who born any thief well when you have hundreds of dogs waiting in line to have a taste of your juicy flesh) . Afterall, there's strength in numbers they say wink

5. Longevity
They never fall sick, they never starve (even if you don't feed them they'll go an look for food themselves. Thats how smart they are). So what will kill them then?

I just love this your writeup it's pretty funny but very true, for those that say they love them because they taste good, rabies fall on you...lol

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Dexema(m): 8:42am On Sep 12, 2017
Abbotp:
My brother....The appetite that dogs generally have for slippers and other foot wear baffles me. After spending 28k on a bag of food and 550 naira per tin of the can food, both the Caucasian and the local dog still destroy foot wear......surely, they do it because of a penchant for destroying shoes not hunger!!
it's the rubber that trips them especially when they are teething, all your shoes are in trouble.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Seyeah23(m): 8:44am On Sep 12, 2017
soberdrunk:

I swear you don crazy well well... You seriously crack my ribs this morning. One bottle of Russian Vodka for you
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by 0taPiaPia(m): 9:09am On Sep 12, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Is the soapy water not harmful to it.

we dont feed her with that, she goes for it especially when we do laundary outside.(we don beat am tire but hell no.. she goes back to it). am begining to think she sees the foam like some sort of soft cheese.

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Richtronix(m): 9:56am On Sep 12, 2017
I bet you guys dont know that in Europe the Basenji youre calling local Ekuke and 404 is actually a pedigree breed and can command up to £2000 for well raised examples in the UK.

They are so scarce and valued that they are imported from places like France and Romania.

Support your local breeds as the OP said, one day you might be exporting them to Europe.

7 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Rozaytee: 10:56am On Sep 12, 2017
Abeg bingo dog na alika jare

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Rozaytee: 11:00am On Sep 12, 2017
blackylola:
The are not big and presentable
asin at all at all dey arent...dere somthing cool about owning a rottweiler and its other breeds....lol..walking on d streets pple go dey clear road for u..wit a wow

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Namdeenero(m): 12:45pm On Sep 12, 2017
Hahahhahaha you guys have wounded me with laugh!! * falls from balcony*
Ekuke for president 2019!!
Re: Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 12, 2017
Chukazu:

snake wey u for kill take do pepper soup,you come dey runcheesy
Eeeew! how do people eat that thing sef. God forbid.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ikorodu Dog Walk Was A Success! .... / Rabbit Killed By My 3-Year-Old German Shepherd (Photos) / The Smart And Trained Snake We Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.