Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble (7559 Views)

Pics: Ibadan people Puts Jonathan In A Coffin..Chanting Sai Buhari / Why Can't The Anambra State Government Build The Second River Niger Bridge??? / Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by SapeleGuy: 11:28am On Feb 27, 2010
Jonathan is not in any trouble. He is a consensus builder. The only people who are angry are the contractors who were ready to chop money.

'Goodluckism' will spawn a new era of progressive, pragmatic and environmentally responsible policies. This is also the time to enforce the gas flaring deadlines.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Pk001(m): 12:16pm On Feb 27, 2010
Beaf:

Jonathan hasn't gaffed. The shorelines need to be bolstered first, only then can dredging can begin. We are educated people lets not fall for cheap propaganda.
Some are saying both can be done simultaneously. How?
How much sense does it make to start dredging (which will immediately begin washing away shorelines and destroying coastal ecologies) only to begin strengthening shorelines and ecologies after they have been washed away? It just doesn't make sense.

Accepted
What Jonathan actually did was not to suspend the dredging of river Niger as a whole but of the lower Niger which in fact hasnt started. We sshould recall that the dredging of the lower Niger has been resisted by the Niger deltans because an enviromental impact assesement has not been carried out as they said. So the dredging of upper and lower Niger couldnt start simultenously. I know for sure they will continue to resist if nothing is done to protect their enviroment. Thats why Jonathan channelled the money for lower Niger dredging to shoreline protection while the dredging of upper Niger continues. The plan is that, at the completion of shoreline protection there will be no reason for the Niger deltans to resist the dredging of the lower Niger, so the work can go on smoothly.(well, my thoughts)
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Ibime(m): 12:25pm On Feb 27, 2010
mikeansy:

Ibime

You ecological argument I must say is very ill thought out and most very unfortunate. It is more than anything driven by selfishness

Afam:

My sentiments exactly. It seems that no matter how we try to appear objective that tribal stuff will always have a way of coming out and manifesting in our comments.

What is ill thought out about recommendations that Independent experts have made in their EIA?

Are the Independent experts also speaking from tribal sentiment?

Infact, you lot are the only ones speaking from tribal sentiment here.

I dont think anyone here on Nairaland knows the possible repercussions of any work done on the Niger. . . . in the meantime, please lets stick the opinions of the experts.

If that means the project is delayed for one year, then so be it. . . . nobody should try and be reckless here. . . I would remind y'all that certain Igbo communities such as Omoku are potentially affected as well.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by deluxecad(m): 2:27pm On Feb 27, 2010
This issue is simple logic even without employing basic engineering principles of fluid dynamics, we don't need to belabour it. If you dredge d R. Niger without building up d ND shorelines, you'd be subjecting the Niger Delta areas to total washout. They have had enough of Nigeria's problems, from oil spillage, gasflaring, land abuse and the deadly like. People should be wise and stop the sick prejudice.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by nduchucks: 2:38pm On Feb 27, 2010
Ibime:

What is ill thought out about recommendations that Independent experts have made in their EIA?

Are the Independent experts also speaking from tribal sentiment?

Infact, you lot are the only ones speaking from tribal sentiment here.

I dont think anyone here on Nairaland knows the possible repercussions of any work done on the Niger. . . . in the meantime, please lets stick the opinions of the experts.

If that means the project is delayed for one year, then so be it. . . . nobody should try and be reckless here. . . I would remind y'all that certain Igbo communities such as Omoku are potentially affected as well.

Ibime, I agree with your point of view in this case.  Jonathan has not stopped the said project as reported by the OP but only transferred N19 billion out of the N36 billion special intervention funds for the dredging of River Niger to shore line protection and land reclamation in the Niger Delta. Jonathan's action is very prudent and correct.

It is noteworthy that the usual suspects are some of the loudest critics of Jonathan here on NL. If I point out the obvious, they will start ranting about some divide and rule b.ullsh.it.

As I've always stated that the people of the ND and the almanjiris of the North are the most marginalized Nigerians. Any presidential action that is designed to address these people's plight should not be politicized but praised. Jonathan has the executive powers to do what he did.  Truth be told, the money is from sales of oil from the ND area anyway.

Jonathan should continue to do what is right. Let those who are not progressives go and jump in River Benue. Haven't the people of the ND been violated enough? Haba people.  Jonathan has not even been in office for 1 month, give him a chance.  

The government and the oil companies have done nothing to address the ecological disaster in the ND, yet you people are criticizing Jonathan for taking the necessary step to avoid another disaster. Shame on the likes of Onlytruth and his brothers who continue to allow their bigotery to becloud their judgement. Rakumin dajij.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by sjeezy8: 2:49pm On Feb 27, 2010
henry101:

Dnt just listen?
Who r they suppose to just listen2 if I may ask?
they dont listen to anyone maybe ojukwku

as of right they should take some of objs advice because he knows how to break northern hegemony and get a ss or se as president of Nigeria. Most (not all) Igbo people tend to be too boisterous and somewhat too honest and WAY too forward, when they dont like something they say it immediately without any contstraint.

you cant do that in politics and esp in Nigeria that can cause a civil war. Jonathan is playing it cool taking advice from Obj and the US and britain. and its getting him far- no one has died and theres no civil war.

Onlytruth:

Everybody calm down  cool cool

South east is still behind Jonathan. His staunchest supporters in the FEC are Dora Akunyili and Ojo Maduekwe (both from south east). So any thought of a quick south east back off from Jonathan is pure idiocy.[/b]He made a gaffe but has since corrected his mistakes. Enough said. cool
[b]the same ojo that took the fec for a ride aound saudia arabia, to thank the king grin - he knewsyaradua was coming back without telling his fellow ministers.

The same Dora that lets out too much info.  grin that lady will get him killed FAST- if she doesnt mind her tongue. Jonathan almost locked her out for letting out info about him meeting turai.  grin it was suppose to be a secret meeting this one now told the whole Nigeria lmfao

haha I dont know why people think with their ethnic caps on you be real fool mehn.

You must be calling yourself an idio t because you posted the artcle saying that Jonathan is taking orders from Obj to cause division.
abi you get bad memory

Onlytruth:

When Jonathan was emerging acting president, I was concerned that he may take advise from the wrong people.
When he did this, I smelled Obasanjo's divide and rule.  I knew it won't be long before he is called to order.
Who has been advising him? I know there is enough money to do both projects, why did he decide to pull funds from the dredging program?
I would get good advisers from the south east and south south for Jonathan. For you to lead Nigeria, you must have the backing of at least one of the major tribes. You can't succeed if you alienate your closest neighbor in your first lines of action.

I knew some folks would fall for it - most southerners are dumb
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by sjeezy8: 2:52pm On Feb 27, 2010
what are all these nonse comments im readin you see northerners have already started to divide SS and SE.

The point im making is he should put money in the ND as all tribes in the SS including igbo can benefit from it.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Devonian(m): 3:19pm On Feb 27, 2010
Can anyone explain the benefit of this River Niger dredging for Nigeria's economy. I thought this is a scheme which exclusively seeks to ensure that if Nigeria ever brakes up, the dredging of River Niger would enable Northerners to have a seaport, and hence the only benefit, not for the whole country but for the benefits and advantage of the Northerners. So, why use Nigeria's money to facilitate that? In any case, people don't learn from history. During the WWII, the Belgian Seaport at Antwerp was incapacitated and seriously decimated due to the fact that its access point in Amsterdam was blocked. So, even if this project goes ahead, and if and when Nigeria brakes up--which someday it would necessarily have to--the access point MUST be blocked, preventing any flow of marine traffic to the North. We'll wait and see.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 27, 2010
sjeezy8:

what are all these nonse comments im readin you see northerners have already started to divide SS and SE.

The point im making is he should put money in the ND as all tribes in the SS including igbo can benefit from it.

He should put money in all of Nigeria
If he thinks that he can cancel progressive projects anyhow without considering consequences then we are happy to be divided. Our support for Jonathan is based on justice and fairplay and not based on cynical politics.

If all he ever wanted was to be a weak 12months acting President then by all means he can carry on as he so pleases.

THERE IS NO NEED ROBBING PETER TO PAY PAUL
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by nduchucks: 5:26pm On Feb 27, 2010
mikeansy:

Our support for Jonathan is based on justice and fairplay and not based on cynical politics.

If all he ever wanted was to be a weak 12months acting President then by all means he can carry on as he so pleases.

I submit to you that the people of ND represent the proverbial Peter in your statement above. There is indeed no reason to continue to rob them willy nilly.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by sjeezy8: 5:36pm On Feb 27, 2010
mikeansy:

He should put money in all of Nigeria
If he thinks that he can cancel progressive projects anyhow without considering consequences then we are happy to be divided. Our support for Jonathan is based on justice and fairplay and not based on cynical politics.

ok justice and fair play abi?

its not justice or fairplay when those in the north dont meet the demands of their southern counter parts in terms of true federalism and such.

When you talk of robbing peter to pay paul- I dont know what you mean because the money should have beeeeen going to the ND for land reclamation. Theres no needs for the SE and SS to divide themselves over something that was only brought up as a concern because it also benefits the north.

se+ss= good
se+north= terrible

Northern nigeria is tooo much- I can see it now
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 6:18pm On Feb 27, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Ibime, I agree with your point of view in this case.  Jonathan has not stopped the said project as reported by the OP but only transferred N19 billion out of the N36 billion special intervention funds for the dredging of River Niger to shore line protection and land reclamation in the Niger Delta. Jonathan's action is very prudent and correct.

It is noteworthy that the usual suspects are some of the loudest critics of Jonathan here on NL. If I point out the obvious, they will start ranting about some divide and rule b.ullsh.it.

As I've always stated that the people of the ND and the almanjiris of the North are the most marginalized Nigerians.

Wonders shall never end. So, now that your fellow northerners are humiliating Jonathan, where is your almajiri to protect him? I never knew that the robber and his victim is one and the same.

Any presidential action that is designed to address these people's plight should not be politicized but praised. Jonathan has the executive powers to do what he did.  Truth be told, the money is from sales of oil from the ND area anyway.

Jonathan should continue to do what is right. Let those who are not progressives go and jump in River Benue. Haven't the people of the ND been violated enough? Haba people.  Jonathan has not even been in office for 1 month, give him a chance.  

The government and the oil companies have done nothing to address the ecological disaster in the ND, yet you people are criticizing Jonathan for taking the necessary step to avoid another disaster. Shame on the likes of Onlytruth and his brothers who continue to allow their bigotery to becloud their judgement. Rakumin dajij. 

Like I said already, anyone thinking that the south east is already kowtowing to the north over this can really be qualified as an idiot.  I am only concerned for Jonathan because the criminal northerners who are ruling as we speak have allies in the south south and south east. You don't want to give them any reasons to shut Jonathan down.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 6:21pm On Feb 27, 2010
ndu_chucks:

I submit to you that the people of ND represent the proverbial Peter in your statement above. There is indeed no reason to continue to rob them willy nilly.

Yes, and the NORTH is Paul with a gun. cool
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 27, 2010
Is this thing a jinx?

In 1953, Alhaji Tafawa Balewa, then Nigerian Minister of Transport, visited the United States and observed how the Mississippi River was contributing to its economic development. He became convinced that the Niger and Benue rivers could play a similar role in Nigeria. the Lower Niger has been dredged twice, first in 1958. Due to lack of maintenance, the entire dredged channel has silted up.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-271718.0.html

Did Tafawa Balewa pioneer the first dredging?

Yaradua proposed the same and afterwards Nigeria scattered? What's going on or is it just me.

and why would dredging the river be such a big deal?
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 6:25pm On Feb 27, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Is the North no longer part of Nigeria?

All I am saying is that its possible to do both. Dredge River Niger and shore up the coastal lines too. Whats the point cutting off your nose to spite your face?

If Jonathan engages in divisive politics he will end up a 12months weak acting President.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 6:25pm On Feb 27, 2010
sjeezy8:

ok justice and fair play abi?

its not justice or fairplay when those in the north dont meet the demands of their southern counter parts in terms of true federalism and such.

When you talk of robbing peter to pay paul- I dont know what you mean because the money should have beeeeen going to the ND for land reclamation. Theres no needs for the SE and SS to divide themselves over something that was only brought up as a concern because it also benefits the north.

se+ss= good
se+north= terrible

Northern nigeria is tooo much- I can see it now

It is idiots like you and your brother Obasanjo that is trying to divide the south east and south south.
Having said that, I restate that Jonathan should RUN AWAY from Obasanjo FAST!
The body language of northerners (reading military movements and others) show a region preparing for anything. I pity anyone standing near Obansanjo because that guy is in their sights.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by nduchucks: 6:32pm On Feb 27, 2010
mikeansy:

Is the North no longer part of Nigeria?

All I am saying is that its possible to do both. Dredge River Niger and shore up the coastal lines too. Whats the point cutting off your nose to spite your face?

If Jonathan engages in divisive politics he will end up a 12months weak acting President.

I apologize if I misunderstood you. Jonathan has not stopped the said dredging project as reported by the OP but only transferred N19 billion out of the N36 billion special intervention funds for the dredging of River Niger to shore line protection and land reclamation in the Niger Delta. Jonathan's action is very prudent and correct.

Both projects you mentioned above will be carried out
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 6:38pm On Feb 27, 2010
sjeezy8:

they dont listen to anyone maybe ojukwku

as of right they should take some of objs advice because he knows how to break northern hegemony and get a ss or se as president of Nigeria. Most (not all) Igbo people tend to be too boisterous and somewhat too honest and WAY too forward, when they dont like something they say it immediately without any contstraint.

The bolded is why Igbos are always misunderstood in Nigeria. I never knew that there is something known as "too honest and too forward" in the service of one's country. I would think those are the only two things lacking in Nigeria, which is why the country has been stagnant for 50 years. This is where those who say Nigeria cannot be one score a huge point.

you cant do that in politics and esp in Nigeria that can cause a civil war. Jonathan is playing it cool taking advice from Obj and the US and britain. and its getting him far- no one has died and theres no civil war.
the same ojo that took the fec for a ride aound saudia arabia, to thank the king grin - he knewsyaradua was coming back without telling his fellow ministers.

The same Dora that lets out too much info.  grin that lady will get him killed FAST- if she doesnt mind her tongue. Jonathan almost locked her out for letting out info about him meeting turai.  grin it was suppose to be a secret meeting this one now told the whole Nigeria lmfao

haha I dont know why people think with their ethnic caps on you be real fool mehn.

You must be calling yourself an idio t because you posted the artcle saying that Jonathan is taking orders from Obj to cause division.
abi you get bad memory

I knew some folks would fall for it - most southerners are dumb

I would resign my post if I were Akunyili because Nigerians don't deserve a courageously patriotic servant. They LOVE mumus and siddon dey look so much, but they would turn around to complain that nothing is working. Simply pathetic and hopeless!
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 6:41pm On Feb 27, 2010
so far the only person who has resigned his lucrative position is Rilwanu Lukman.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by SapeleGuy: 6:43pm On Feb 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

It is idiots like you and your brother Obasanjo that is trying to divide the south east and south south.
Having said that, I restate that Jonathan should RUN AWAY from Obasanjo FAST!
The body language of northerners (reading military movements and others) show a region preparing for anything. I pity anyone standing near Obansanjo because that guy is in their sights.

My brother you have nothing to fear but fear itself. First of all there is no unified north - the middle belt and those from plateau are not with them, secondly - the cabal have done their worst, dem no fit do OBJ or anybody else nothing.

Jonathan has outmanouvered them and they don't know it, he will be sworn in properly in due time.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 6:43pm On Feb 27, 2010
ndu_chucks:

I apologize if I misunderstood you.  Jonathan has not stopped the said dredging project as reported by the OP but only transferred N19 billion out of the N36 billion special intervention funds for the dredging of River Niger to shore line protection and land reclamation in the Niger Delta. Jonathan's action is very prudent and correct.

Both projects you mentioned above will be carried out

Why do you love rigmarole and spin so much? So, what is the transfer (correctly read by many as "diversion"wink about when you can simply "assign" funds to it.? What is the whole noise by your fellow northerners about then? Maybe you should go and explain that to them so that they can shut up. The thief crying alongside the victim.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by nduchucks: 6:47pm On Feb 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

Why do you love rigmarole and spin so much. So, what is the transfer (correctly read by many as "diversion"wink about when you can simply "assign" funds to it.? What is the whole noise by your fellow northerners about then? Maybe you should go and explain that to them so that they can shut up. The thief crying alongside his victim.

You are fighting a losing battle on this issue. Go and find a more honourable cause to rant about. I repeat, Jonathan took the responsible action here.

I'm very disappointed in your stance here. Olodo
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 6:49pm On Feb 27, 2010
SapeleGuy:

My brother you have nothing to fear but fear itself. First of all there is no unified north - the middle belt and those from plateau are not with them, secondly - the cabal have done their worst, dem no fit do OBJ or anybody else nothing.

Jonathan has outmanouvered them and they don't know it, he will be sworn in properly in due time.

Personally, I believe that THERE IS NO WAY the north comes out of this on top. That is really my view. They lost the game when Yar adua become too sick. As a wounded animal, they can be very dangerous now -which is why the military is deployed in Abuja even as we speak. I would still advise Jonathan to stay away from Obasanjo.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 6:51pm On Feb 27, 2010
ndu_chucks:

You are fighting a losing battle on this issue. Go and find a more honourable cause to rant about. I repeat, Jonathan took the responsible action here.

I'm very disappointed in your stance here. Olodo

Go and explain that to your thieving brothers who are ranting most and looking for a cross with which to crucify Jonathan. Meanwhile tell them  that there can only be ONE commander in chief, and he has to be alive and fit.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 6:53pm On Feb 27, 2010
It is simple, if Jonathan stays away from OBJ. He fails

I think if anything he should aggressively sought advice from OBJ and make his own choice on what he feels is good for his reputation and that of Nigeria.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by otawa: 7:00pm On Feb 27, 2010

I think if anything he should aggressively sought advice from OBJ and make his own choice on what he feels is good for his reputation and that of Nigeria.

Nigerians surely have short memories.

Advice from Mr Obasanjo? The man that derives pleasure in sleeping with his son's wife?

Is it not same GoodLuck whose wife was caught with $2,000,000. 00 of stolen Bayelsa money?
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 7:04pm On Feb 27, 2010
mikeansy:

Mike I disagree with you on that. Mind you that Jonathan has only about 12 months in power. The biggest fear in the north is Obasanjo. They have been waiting to cut him to size. Next year, the north takes over again. Believe me Obasanjo is bad news to him. There are many other smart advisers from south south and south east he can use. Obasanjo is twisted and never forgives.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 27, 2010
If you ask Nigerians to choose between the last 3years and the previous 4years preceeding it. I don't know about you but I will choose the previous 4years.

The whole OBJ is the source of all our problems is a very big myth.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 7:14pm On Feb 27, 2010
mikeansy:

If you ask Nigerians to choose between the last 3years and the previous 4years preceeding it. I don't know about you but I will choose the previous 4years.

The whole OBJ is the source of all our problems is a very big myth.

What

A man who doesn't believe in one man one vote?
A man who is prepared to empower even the most vile humans to work for him?
A man who woke and unscrupulously signed away the Bakassi Pennisula (with 300,000 Nigerians) to Cameroun without even thinking. Mind you that Abacha didn't do that?
A man who is still fighting the civil war in his twisted mind?
PDP= Obasanjo and they don't believe in free and fair elections but do or die. undecided
Ol boy I can go on, but I would at least blame Obasanjo for even this mess we are in. Of all able bodied Nigerians in the north, he only found a sick man to lead us.

His cup will be full one of these days, just watch.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by ADint(m): 10:10pm On Feb 27, 2010
I believe the 'diversion' of part of the funds for the River Niger dredging to the coastline shoring in the Niger Delta was a deliberate action by Jonathan. Yes, the money for the shoring could have been found elsewhere, but I think actually using the funds earmarked already for the dredging was for 2 reasons:

1. To delay the dredging project overall - as they will have to source for new funds to complete it and as the 'President' he can always find ways to prolong the approval process.

2. To send out a message to those who planned and approved the project that they had not done their homework properly or worse still incompetent. That the right approach should have been shoring up the coastlines first then starting the dredging, hence reason one above which will give him the time needed to sort out the shoring.

This might not necessarily be the case but, I don't believe Jonathan would have taken this decision without some intellectual strategic positioning similar to that outlined above. Now who advised him is not clear at this stage. He could very well have had this at the back of his mind as one of the first things he would do if he is ever in a position to call the shots - which he now is.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by jaybee3(m): 11:14am On Mar 01, 2010
The acting president has been reported to have denied ever stopping or having the intention to stop the dredging.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Pharoh: 11:26am On Mar 01, 2010

Re: alleged diversion of N19 billion from river Niger dredging

This is to correct the false impression being created in some quarters that the Acting President, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, allegedly diverted the sum of N19billion from the River Niger Dredging project, into shore protection and land reclamation projects in the Niger Delta. The other variant of the story is that Dr. Jonathan has out rightly cancelled the dredging of the River Niger, which was flagged off September last year by President Umaru Musa Yar’adua.

Both stories are entirely false, and are being sponsored by desperate persons who are determined to tamper with the peace and unity of our dear country.

THE FACTS
There is no relationship whatsoever between the River Niger dredging project and the proposed shore protection and land reclamation projects proposed for the Niger Delta states. These projects are part of the post Amnesty projects planned for the region, and are to be funded from a “ring fenced” fund dedicated to the Niger Delta amnesty programme.

In the instant case, the sum of N5.5 billion, part of the dedicated amnesty fund under the 2009 supplementary appropriation, was set aside by the Ministry of Transportation for improvement of waterways and related issues in the Niger Delta. The ministry therefore proposed to dredge a channel through the River Nun, taking off from Onya in Delta through Odoni, Kalama, Tombia, Yenagoa, Okodogu, Okokiri, Nembe ( with a spur to Brass), Apiama, Ndukiri, Sand Village, Ekulama, Idama, Tombiabok(with a spur to Degema), Bobake, Ndorokiri, Obekiri, Yekiri, Okungba up to Port Harcourt.

The total cost of this project was estimated at N19 billion, and was set out as follows:

1. Onya (Delta) to Nembe (Bayelsa), with a spur to Brass.
2. Nembe to Port Harcourt(120 kilometres), with a spur to Degema (Rivers)

By this arrangement the entire funds would have been spent on Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers, with the bulk going to Bayelsa, the home state of the Acting President. But in reviewing the decision, even more states of the Niger Delta, notably Ondo and Akwa Ibom, now stand to benefit.

Another factor that guided the decision to take a second look at the plan was the fact that an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) was yet to be carried out, and for a project of this magnitude that affects navigation and the ecology of aquatic organisms, an EIA is mandatory.

However, from conception through completion and approval, an EIA would take between one and a half to two years to complete. So, should funds earmarked for urgent post amnesty intervention projects be left unutilised for two years even as the Niger Delta Amnesty was threatening to unravel before our eyes?

There was a further consideration. Even with an EIA, the deepening of the channel would result in a faster flow, and worsen river bank erosion for communities on the route. This has always been a significant challenge for riverine development planning in the Niger Delta.

Therefore, in his usual consultative manner, Dr. Jonathan invited the governors of the Niger Delta states and asked them to consult with the people and find a way forward.

When the governors returned for the next meeting, their position was clear: some of the greatest challenges confronting the Niger Delta riverine communities were shore protection and land reclamation, since many of them are steadily being washed away by erosion. There was also complete agreement that the Federal Government moves quickly to consolidate the gains of the amnesty, and be seen to be delivering on its commitments to the people of the area.

Following the presentation of the governors, a unanimous decision was taken to embark on a vigorous effort to protect the shores of vulnerable communities, and reclaim lands that have been washed away.

The Acting President subsequently directed the Finance Minister to begin a virement process to move the N5.5 billion provided in the supplementary appropriation for this project, under the Amnesty initiative, to the Niger Delta ministry. This is a detailed administrative process that would naturally have to pass through the National Assembly before it is concluded.

We wish to restate that there was no time we announced that the dredging of the River Niger has been stopped. Indeed, that project remains on course, and site reports indicate that things are going on just fine.

This gigantic N36 billion project takes off from Forcados, through Warri and Onitsha, and terminates in Baro, Niger State. We are totally committed to completing and delivering it as one of the priority projects of this government.

Ima Niboro
SSA Media and Publicity to the Acting President
28th February, 2010.

http://www.saharareporters.com/letters/press-releases/5318-re-alleged-diversion-of-n19-billion-from-river-niger-dredging-.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dimeji Bankole And Gbemi Saraki Having An Affair! / Goodluck Jonathan: The Facebook President---cnn / President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.