Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble (7558 Views)

Pics: Ibadan people Puts Jonathan In A Coffin..Chanting Sai Buhari / Why Can't The Anambra State Government Build The Second River Niger Bridge??? / Ojukwu's Burial Runs Into Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by hasy(m): 11:26am On Mar 01, 2010
just don't stop dredging it has economical importance.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 01, 2010
To all anti-north,
i am form the northern part of the country both not a northerner rather a Nigeriaa, n, God what is happing to the youth of this nation?
I always dream that this North-east-sourth of a thing will stop but rather is escalating at an alarming rate.
please be objective in what u post. Dredging of river Niger is part of the seven point agenda and goodluck is part and person of that serven point agend, then why will he stop or suppend it? we all know that there is enough money finance other project without stoping the dredging of RN.
Goodluck need to be smart and do the right thing. He should be carefull so as not paint the image of the future politicians from the ND as regional candidate.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by ud4u: 1:30pm On Mar 01, 2010
This man want to make the costliest mistake of his life this early stage. He is fighting Niger Delta course this early morning. Have you people forgotten that Niger Delta was against River Niger Dredging.

Nonsense, let him not be selfish.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by mystikal(m): 1:50pm On Mar 01, 2010
reading superfluous meanings into things.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by bockey(m): 2:38pm On Mar 01, 2010
Jonathan should stop playing a coward. If he is not fit, let him go to Saudi or Somewhere and rest. There are many Nigerians who are more competent than him, simple. Jonathan is simply a confussed, yaraduarized, turairized and obasanjorised coward ; lipsrsealed angry lipsrsealed angry.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by otokx(m): 2:56pm On Mar 01, 2010
But how shall the dredging of river niger benefit us down south? Let them use the money to better things e.g the dualization of the east west road has been on for donkey years no progress. That road supposed to be 6 lanes; 3 going and 3 coming.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by naso2(m): 2:57pm On Mar 01, 2010
ud4u:

This man want to make the costliest mistake of his life this early stage. He is fighting Niger Delta course this early morning. Have you people forgotten that Niger Delta was against River Niger Dredging.

Nonsense, let him not be selfish.

Not being selfish would mean he should neglect the prerequisites which will minimise/eliminate the danger this dredging poses to the riverrine ND communities abi? Nonsense.

The fact that Jonathan was VP when UMYA started this project does not mean he agrees with the terms upon which the project started. Is it this UMYA that could not cede power to his vice that would have consulted Jonathan , or respected the cries of the ND communities?

Jonathan goes ahead to implement this task without  due diligence and 10 years down the line when the problems start for the communities, people like you are the ones that will first say "IT WAS YOUR BROTHER WHO WAS PRESIDENT WHEN THIS SHABBY PROJECT WAS DONE", People will find it very easy then  to flaunt signed documents to support their case.

I am not saying the project should be stopped , but eh , enough of this useless approach  of disregarding host communities and the attendant environmental harzards in the  name of "National Good". Things must be done properly.

If there are recommendations in the EIA that UMYA overlooked in his "aboki arrogance", then Jonathan has to stop the project and implement those recommendations before the project continues. QED.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by naso2(m): 3:00pm On Mar 01, 2010
bockey:

Jonathan should stop playing a coward. If he is not fit, let him go to Saudi or Somewhere and rest. There are many Nigerians who are more competent than him, simple. Jonathan is simply a confussed, yaraduarized, turairized and obasanjorised coward ; lipsrsealed angry lipsrsealed angry.

And on what basis are you making these claims ,if I may ask?
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by alldone(m): 3:04pm On Mar 01, 2010
give him time, he is facing so much.
we he is totally in control msy be he will do better.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Beaf: 3:18pm On Mar 01, 2010
nurexg:

To all anti-north,
i am form the northern part of the country both not a northerner rather a Nigeriaa, n, God what is happing to the youth of this nation?
I always dream that this North-east-sourth of a thing will stop but rather is escalating at an alarming rate.
please be objective in what u post. Dredging of river Niger is part of the seven point agenda and goodluck is part and person of that serven point agend, then why will he stop or suppend it? we all know that there is enough money finance other project without stoping the dredging of RN.
Goodluck need to be smart and do the right thing. He should be carefull so as not paint the image of the future politicians from the ND as regional candidate.

But it is your people that have twisted this thing. Bolstering shores in the Niger Delta has nothing to do with dredging the Northern parts of the Niger. Why are people lying? Is the loss of power such a desperate thing that eveyone loses their senses? shocked
You are addressing the wrong folk here about North-South dichotomy. Blame your Northern leaders who provide nothing for the masses, yet find so much time to talk about "Northern interest". Nobody in the country talks about "Southern interest"; thats if anybody has ever heard the term "Southern interest" before; tell me which side is more tribalistic?

The shores need to be bolstered, so that when the Niger is dredged, communities are not washed away. Does the North not care about Niger Delta communities that will be at the brunt? In fact, it is plain wickedness for anyone to come up and say they shouldn't be bolstered; like ND lives are so cheap, they can be sacrificed for the so called Northern interest.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by nduchucks: 3:25pm On Mar 01, 2010
Onlytruth:
Go and explain that to your thieving brothers who are ranting most and looking for a cross with which to crucify Jonathan. Meanwhile tell them  that there can only be ONE commander in chief, and he has to be alive and fit.

There you go again. Can't you restrict your discussions to issues rather than people of certain tribes and ethnicity. Your bigotery is eating you up. I am sorry for you.

@Beaf, try not to paint people from the North/West/or East with progressive tendencies, with the same brush you paint the thieving elite. Its in your very own interest.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by muhsin(m): 3:30pm On Mar 01, 2010
Hey,

Although the audacity and the guts that took Jonathan to announce this amidst all these confusions and uncertainties are very surprising, he hasn’t done anything beyond expectation. That’s what many observers and analysts particularly from the North are predicting and fearing. I hence got little or nothing more to say on that.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Beaf: 3:35pm On Mar 01, 2010
ndu_chucks:

@Beaf, try not to paint people from the North/West/or East with progressive tendencies with the same brush you paint the thieving elite. Its in your very own interest.

You need to sing that song to Turai's cabal, they claim they are fighting for the "Northern interest". The are the ones behind every theft, fraud, intrigue and dishonest tale in the country today. What have they ever provided for the Northern masses they claim to be fighting for? Is the so called "Northern interest" not their own pockets?
The country needs to get rid of those rats and cockroaches. Have you heard what they have done to NNPC? Yeah, right! . . .Somebody come and tell me about "Northern interest". angry

[size=14pt]Why is there no Nigerian interest in the North? Why isn't the South East bothered? Why isn't the South West bothered? Why is the North alone bothered?[/size]
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by prosperup(m): 3:49pm On Mar 01, 2010
The first executive council meeting he chaired,they approved N7.1 billion to complete the vice president's lodge in Aso rock.

Why didn't he stop that project and channel the money to the shoreline protection project rather than diverting money from the river Niger dregding funds.
Is his house more important than the project or is he sleeping under a tent now?
Hisss!
Its a blunder,like it or not.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Beaf: 3:58pm On Mar 01, 2010
^
Stop yarning dust. At the time that happened, he had zero executive powers. Aondoakaa was in charge.

In any event, it isn't his personal house, is it? Last time I looked, it belonged to the country.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 4:24pm On Mar 01, 2010
@Beaf
tell me who give amnesty to the ND Militance? Who created Ministry of ND?
or have heard of Ministry of North?
Moreover this dredging is to the benefit of the nation at large because it will boost the economy of the nation and reduce the use of road for goods transportation. if u can recall well as far back in the late 70s ship were coming down to the north. is just that now the river is block and it need some dredging. do you know how much is to use to renovate goodluck loadge?
dont be too sentimental?
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Beaf: 4:39pm On Mar 01, 2010
nurexg:

@Beaf
tell me who give amnesty to the ND Militance? Who created Ministry of ND?
or have heard of Ministry of North?
Moreover this dredging is to the benefit of the nation at large because it will boost the economy of the nation and reduce the use of road for goods transportation. if u can recall well as far back in the late 70s ship were coming down to the north. is just that now the river is block and it need some dredging. do you know how much is to use to renovate goodluck loadge?
dont be too sentimental?

Don't get me wrong. The dredging is important to everybody, but because it will make the river deeper and clear away obstructions to free flow, the water will flow at a much faster rate and if there is no preparation, it will flood and wash away coastal settlements. That is why work is being done to strengthen those areas before the dredging gets there. Dredging has not stopped, I even watched an interview with the engineers and contractors on site; dredging never stopped for a minute, its just Turai and the useless people around her that are spreading false rumours.
There is no sentiment involved, things just need to be done properly without being politicised.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by rickie4us(m): 4:48pm On Mar 01, 2010
ok o , let us wait and see
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 01, 2010
@beaf,
i hope it will continue. but thats so naive of goodluck to suspend it he could have inject some cash there not channelling it away from ministry of Defence. already now his polical caree is shaking. but personally i thing goodluck is a good man but people around him are bad and sentimental. sha lets all pray for the betterment of nigeria cos we the youth are at the recieving end. with God every thing is possible.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by grafikdon: 5:19pm On Mar 01, 2010
Is it not more feasible and environmental friendly to upgrade the PH and calabar ports? Rail lines can be constructed for hassle free access  to major commercial cities/towns.

We may have to weigh the consequences before we yield to irresponsible enthusiasts bent on the establishment of ''ports'' in their backyards, to the detriment of the communities along the river.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Beaf: 5:27pm On Mar 01, 2010
nurexg:

@beaf,
i hope it will continue. but thats so naive of goodluck to suspend it he could have inject some cash there not channelling it away from ministry of Defence. already now his polical caree is shaking. but personally i thing goodluck is a good man but people around him are bad and sentimental. sha lets all pray for the betterment of nigeria cos we the youth are at the recieving end. with God every thing is possible.

It was not suspended. I believe more could have been done to clarify every last detail without assuming that everybody will see things from the same perspective, but it is human to err.

I watched a news programme on AIT some days ago, were the dredging engineers and contractors were shown hard at work and they said, there was never an order for them to stop work. But it might be instructive to use other channels like BBC Hausa service etc to reach a wider audience effectively. In a more advanced country; the govts position, all the dredging phases , factors etc would have been put in widely disseminated simple drawings and illustrations. . . But you know our country, everything is official, even simple titles become COAS, AGF, CNS and all other mind boggling rubbish.

We will get there one day sha.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by udezue(m): 6:28pm On Mar 01, 2010
Well Jonathan should upgrade the PH and Calabar ports or simply dredge the River. It might make more sense to upgrade the PH port since its already there. Its like building a new power plant in Ebonyi state when we already have one in Enugu that needs simple upgrade to serve the region.

Whatever is cost effective and can be done faster he should do regardless of sentiments from any section. The North should simply SHUT UP.

But my people without atleast even 20 hours of electricity per day in our region these projects will be useless and cost us even more. SS and SE should be more concerned with reviving the Oji power plant that used to power the Eastern region then go into other big projects such as upgrading the PH and Calabar ports or dredging River Niger for a new port. What about Oguta lake in Imo?
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by mohid(m): 7:08pm On Mar 01, 2010
HEY ppl stop it already!!!
its the same old tricks they have been using all through the years.the divide and rule tactic works everytime.so long as they keep making us see ourselves as north and south its a lot easier to keep us under control.don't u folks ever wonder that irrespective of who is in power or what tribe is actually at the center, there seem to b some names that are always at the helm of affairs, this cabal cuts across all tribes,this set of elite make us see ourselves as Hausa/Fulani,igbo,Yoruba,ijaw e.t.c meanwhile they rob us silly while they drink champagne together and laugh at our expense.This simple reason is why there can be no revolution in this country, cos as soon as any part of this country rises up to react this evil cabal will create the impression it's along tribal lines.
But then things have changed this generation has more access to information than any other generation b4 it.With the availability of social media and networking sites like this we ought to be able to educate and inform ourselves in order not to fall victim to the same old tricks.No matter how tempting it is note that the man replying u on Nairaland is not the enemy, the enemy is out there we all ve got to note that and face them squarely
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 8:00pm On Mar 01, 2010
River Niger: Group asks N/A Assembly to impeach Jonathan

…accuses govt of diverting N19bn

ABUJA—A northern socio-cultural organisation, the Nupe Congress [/b]has called on the National Assembly to commence impeachment proceedings against Acting President, Goodluck Jonathan for violating the 2009 Appropriation Act by stopping the dredging of River Niger without recourse to the National Assembly.

Addressing newsmen in Abuja yesterday, [b]the National Secretary of the Congress, Alhaji Yabagi Yusuf Sanni
said the diversion of the N19billion meant for the dredging of River Niger to the reclamation of lands in the Niger Delta was illegal.

According to him, ‘the action of the Acting President is unconstitutional and illegal because appropriation is the prerogative of the National Assembly. The National Assembly must approve all virements of funds from one project to another.

“Due process also demands that projects must follow appropriate guidelines, budgetary provisions, advertisements in national dailies for competitive bidding and transparency through various levels of approvals including, the Federal Executive Council approval before contract award,” he pointed.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/01/river-niger-group-asks-na-assembly-to-impeach-jonathan/
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Str8talk: 8:02pm On Mar 01, 2010
Ima Niboro is contradicting himself.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5531149-147/government_releases_n19b_for_niger_delta.csp

Among other things he said "Today, the acting president directed that the N19billion intervention fund should be passed to the Ministry of Niger Delta from the Ministry of Finance for shore protection initiative. Shore protection, land reclamation and there will be some water projects as part of this process to ensure that there is water while these projects are going on,"
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Onlytruth(m): 8:16pm On Mar 01, 2010
This is really my ultimate fear. Not that this group can impeach Jonathan, but they can raise enough bad blood for him going forward.

It is very naive to approach Nigeria's problems with such simplicity of view. To make an effective president in Nigeria, you must have the backing of at least one major tribe (quote me on that! cool). I understand that some might see Nigeria in idealistic terms, but go through our history and you would see that the major tribes have always played the deciding roles. Obasanjo was threatened with impeachment several times in his days, but he couldn't be impeached because the Yoruba would raise hell for Nigeria. It is for this reason that I think that the south south and south east (due to our history and circumstance in Nigeria) must unite to form a political block/base for Jonathan. I know he is Nigeria's president, but he needs a strong base to operation from.

It is on that basis that I argued that he got the wrong advise on this project (which is why I suspected Obasanjo).He merely consulted with south south governors and made his move.
It is also for similar reasons that I believe that Jonathan should champion the unification of south south and south east. If he plays smart politics, he could be the accepted candidate from both regions for future elections. Obasanjo came in without support from Yorubas, but quickly moved to secure the south west before seeking his second term.
History beckons for Jonathan. This game is his to lose.  cool
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Beaf: 9:31pm On Mar 01, 2010
^
Seconded.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 11:51pm On Mar 01, 2010
@ all,
I thought is high time all the nigerian youth to unite rather some fools in da house are keep on going with there sentimental ideas. The fact that the north remains the dominat factor in nigerian politics does not means that the verse majority of intellectual here like what is going on. The question is that how do we move forward? Is it by hate or sentiment? Or Sectionalism? I am afred if it continue like this the children of our leaders will rule us same like there parents did to our parents. Think about it.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by adconline(m): 2:59am On Mar 02, 2010
he never liked the EAST but the first southern minister of defense(after the civil war) was of igbo extraction was appointed by Obj.

Obj isnt a tribalist and isnt against east or igbos - igbo people just dont listen

because OBJ said that Igbos should be happy they were allowed to become part of naija after the civil war. He cited that it took southern US 100 years to produce a president. He said recently that one of his regrets was not capturing Ojukwu . You argument could also be used in the same Abacha appointed, a Yoruba - Gen Diyas as his VP and imprisoned Abiola, OBJ, and exiled Soyinka.

Jonathan is not being a good politician for delving into this issue. He's on a slippery slope. Maybe next thing on his agenda is banning Sharia law in the north. He has to have a firm grip on the govt b4 he can embark on controversial decisions. It's like a Republican abolishing affirmative action the first day he gets into office or Obama legalizing govt funded abortion. He should avoid polarizing issues, or else he's going to waste all the political capital on useless things. Do not create an issue when there is none
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Gunnaz007: 6:10am On Mar 02, 2010
@otawa, i hav been following your comments on nairaland and i have found them mingled with ethno-religious sentiments; no one would need any military training to spot it on that you are from up north; recall last wednesday, thursday you were all over nairaland making useless comments in support of the secretive, commando style, and coup-ridden puported return of vegetative yaradua to 9ja, but by now you should be very disappointed that your dream has not come true!! go bury your head in one of your cow dunk and have a late-lick tongue.

if you like join your retarded, unintelligent, low ai-kewd nomads up north to draw up a thousand impeachable offences against jonathan; they would fall like a pack of cards - u continue refering to jonathan's wife's alleged embezzlement; i tot u had something more to add to that - is jonathan's wife as corrupt as turai?

On my last check i tot a thousand obasanjos advising jonathan would have been better off than a bunch of educated illiterates from kano/katsina in agbada that yardua surrounded himself with, including his (yaradua) nomad fulani wife (turai); because a thousand obasanjos would not have led 9ja through her current SHAME of global scale.

SHAE SHAE SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! otawa u have been defeated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Nobody: 11:12am On Mar 02, 2010
@gunerz007,
Guy you a big fool for calling pepole from kano and kastina illitrate. Tell the person that is reforming your country banking sector if your father? or the only PhD holder in criminology in the nigerian army is your uncle? Dont be naive in passing your jugedment.
Re: River Niger Project Puts Jonathan Into Trouble by Beaf: 11:24am On Mar 02, 2010
nurexg:

@gunerz007,
Guy you a big fool for calling pepole from kano and kastina illitrate. Tell the person that is reforming your country banking sector if your father? or the only PhD holder in criminology in the nigerian army is your uncle? Dont be naive in passing your jugedment.

I see where you are coming from, but Lamido Sanusi is one hell of an agbero that doesn't deserve even the briefest glance. There are other Norherners to mention, not the same old tired lot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Terrorism: IGP Bans Illegal Use Of Tinted Glasses, Sirens, Others / Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World / Nasawara Killings: Relief-Money Hijacked From Policemen’s Widows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.