Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,866 members, 7,813,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market (39191 Views)

Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? / 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market / Olamide’s Wo & Wavy Level, Davido’s IF & Fall And 9ice’s Living Things Banned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by hahn(m): 11:30am On Sep 18, 2017
davillian:

Why compare wealth of olamide to an underground US rapper. Olamide is a Top rapper in Nigeria you should compare his wealth with top US based rappers too.

Why are you guys evil na? cheesy grin
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by davillian(m): 11:37am On Sep 18, 2017
hahn:

Why are you guys evil na? cheesy grin
Lmao na the guy start naw. He said olamide is richer than most American rappers so I asked him for names and he said underground rappers.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by Rick9(m): 11:53am On Sep 18, 2017
Abeg make una leave my OLAMIDE Jor, I respect him a lot because he refused to change his sounds, unlike the other SELL OUT.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by bewla(m): 12:00pm On Sep 18, 2017
SuperSuave:

There is no (real) battle for supremacy as far as music from the street goes.  Olamide  is the overlord and he reigns supreme while other indigenous rappers tussle for leftover titles. Olamide occupies the influential positions that there is in ‘street music’ – he is the ‘voice of the street’, ‘the King of street’  and  ‘baddest (perhaps greatest) guy ever liveth.’

Apparently, the  King of the street  is content with the territory he commands. On several occasions, he has maintained that he won’t go out of his way to appeal to the international community – indeed, but what if international success was freely given and not needing strategic planning or extra effort, would Olamide still say no to  awoof?

Olamide is taking a conservative approach to this international market penetration and it is understandable considering that it seems better to have an egg today than a hen tomorrow. Olamide has a firm grip on the local market but some observers believe he is not just ‘street material,’ they say he is Hollywood material and they would rather bet on him to ‘blow’ on the international scene than on Barcelona in an El-Classico match. MMG rapper,  Wale  is one of such persons and he seems to see an international worthiness in Olamide. Thus he has given the YBNL boss opportunities to make a claim for international exposure not even once nor twice, but multiple times even, yet the YBNL boss chose to stay ‘street’.

Here is a list of 5 times Olamide had the opportunity but failed to impress the international community:

Olamide’s near absence on the field of international march doesn’t seem to be resulting from lack of interest but a function of unsuccessful attempts and maybe due to his conservatism. However, his local content which he is best at creating, are beginning to find their way to the audience abroad. For instance, US producer  Swizz Beats made a good show grooving to  Wo! and maybe it’s a sign that Olamide would break into the international market but honestly, that seems beyond belief.

Written by Oluwatobi Ibironke
@ibironketweets

http://tooxclusive.com/editorial/5-times-olamide-missed-chance-impress-international-market/

D guy play Yoruba u say. no now summer body u say no abegi
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by thunderbabs: 12:01pm On Sep 18, 2017
grin she has a walk that can make an atheist believe in God long enough to say Goddamn.....i love that line
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by makinson2865: 12:02pm On Sep 18, 2017
Kog45:
What has Yoruba lyrics got to do with music.If u don't know King Sunny Ade was nominated for Grammy Award in 1978,also nominated again,may be 1998,if i could remember an album tagged ODU got nominated.So forget language barrier,when your music is appealing, u get d recognition.

Pls what is d meaning of breaking into international market?it is a pity we always get it wrong when we talk about international market.Pls can u tell me any Nigerian home grown artists that's doing well internationally,forget all this fake hypes from wizkid,psquare and d rest,this are d guys that went as far paying foreign artists for collabo to gain prominence internationally but at d end nothing to show for it than few awards.

I know how Dbanj almost break his bank account forcing himself on Kanye West,also wizkid of recent with Drake,d same Drake refused to feature in a video they collaborate together.Ask Psquare who try to force their way in by featuring d likes of Akon,Scott.2baba was nearly caught in d habit in a disgraceful way featuring R Kelly which Kelly denied.

I believe our artists should learn from d older ones,when u are good or your music is appealing d international audience w seek for u.Femi Kuti was nominated severally for Grammy, also Sunny Ade twice.2face won numerous international awards without trying to break into international market.2face first solo album was produce here in Nigeria and was acceptable winning numerous awards except Grammy.

A good music can take you to anywhere irrespective of language u use,ask a Senegalese Grammy award winner diouf,he w tell u music is music irrespective of language, all u need is getting it right.

Don't u know most rated Nigeria artist are wacks give them mic to sing for u live then u w know what am saying.I watch 2face live and i can say yeah d guy is damn good,no arguments about it.ASA too a great brand ,Flavour too can do it live,but what can u say about artist like Davido or Psquare who find it so difficult to give us good music live on Glo award night.
u make sense my brother.

1 Like

Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by ericmor: 12:06pm On Sep 18, 2017
Japhet04:
For some strange reason I don't seem to like this guy undecided, would prefer his running mate wizkid

wizzkid is not is mate in the music thing because wizzy is now an American artist, sorry, i mean international. any which way
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by makinson2865: 12:15pm On Sep 18, 2017
olamide is on top of the game .forget abt d international whatsoever and meanwhile wiskid is over-hyphed
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by paradigmshift(m): 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2017
hahn:

There are thousands of rappers in the US who will never blow. Do some research
lmao oga name dem now , u dey ask me for research lol.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by hahn(m): 12:41pm On Sep 18, 2017
davillian:

Lmao na the guy start naw. He said olamide is richer than most American rappers so I asked him for names and he said underground rappers.

I meant underground rappers. How will you compare Olamide with any US popular name? Or don't you know that popular rappers were once underground rappers?
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by hahn(m): 12:45pm On Sep 18, 2017
paradigmshift:

lmao oga name dem now , u dey ask me for research lol.

They are not known yet na

You really do not expect to compare Olamide with any well known US based rapper na. Shuu undecided
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by paradigmshift(m): 1:18pm On Sep 18, 2017
hahn:

They are not known yet na

You really do not expect to compare Olamide with any well known US based rapper na. Shuu undecided
lmao stop confusing yourself .
u said he's richer than America rappers. u drop name n stop blabbing. am done here
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by hahn(m): 1:19pm On Sep 18, 2017
paradigmshift:

lmao stop confusing yourself .
u said he's richer than America rappers. u drop name n stop blabbing. am done here

Olodo na him you be. You obviously have comprehension problems

I said

hahn:
He is already at a disadvantage since he raps in Yoruba

He is still richer than a lot of US based rappers though

If you cannot read and understand then indeed you are done here undecided
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by STILESGANG: 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2017
How many Nigerian artists are even international,forget the noise davido and co are making on Social media
They are just wasting money featuring American acts and yet their songs don't feature on any known chart worldwide..They say they are on tour overseas,when the population of people attending is not even more than a thousands,and majority of people attending are even Nigerians based overseas or other africans.Is that one a tour?.
Abeg cut Olamide some slack.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 18, 2017
Kog45:
What has Yoruba lyrics got to do with music.If u don't know King Sunny Ade was nominated for Grammy Award in 1978,also nominated again,may be 1998,if i could remember an album tagged ODU got nominated.So forget language barrier,when your music is appealing, u get d recognition.

Pls what is d meaning of breaking into international market?it is a pity we always get it wrong when we talk about international market.Pls can u tell me any Nigerian home grown artists that's doing well internationally,forget all this fake hypes from wizkid,psquare and d rest,this are d guys that went as far paying foreign artists for collabo to gain prominence internationally but at d end nothing to show for it than few awards.

I know how Dbanj almost break his bank account forcing himself on Kanye West,also wizkid of recent with Drake,d same Drake refused to feature in a video they collaborate together.Ask Psquare who try to force their way in by featuring d likes of Akon,Scott.2baba was nearly caught in d habit in a disgraceful way featuring R Kelly which Kelly denied.

I believe our artists should learn from d older ones,when u are good or your music is appealing d international audience w seek for u.Femi Kuti was nominated severally for Grammy, also Sunny Ade twice.2face won numerous international awards without trying to break into international market.2face first solo album was produce here in Nigeria and was acceptable winning numerous awards except Grammy.

A good music can take you to anywhere irrespective of language u use,ask a Senegalese Grammy award winner diouf,he w tell u music is music irrespective of language, all u need is getting it right.

Don't u know most rated Nigeria artist are wacks give them mic to sing for u live then u w know what am saying.I watch 2face live and i can say yeah d guy is damn good,no arguments about it.ASA too a great brand ,Flavour too can do it live,but what can u say about artist like Davido or Psquare who find it so difficult to give us good music live on Glo award night.
Good one.
So i can take Olamide to be among the wackos then. He's unimpressive IMO.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 18, 2017
belindar:

How many international recognition has these other artistes that have been going there get? Or you believe in their social media hype. How many radios or dj play Nigeria music internationally? How many whites or black America buy Nigerian music. Even Nigerian children born abroad don't listen to Naija music. How much does those other artistes that have been going there make. They are just forcing themselves to go there. How many of them were bill or invited to perform over there? The money is here in naija.
Too many questions, where do i start from now?.
Take am easy o.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 18, 2017
donblade85555:
so make e start to sing in English just to get recognition? He is good in Yoruba. if you noticed he sang 3 song this year in pure English, yet no one blow. but when he came back to his root, his new single "WO" is a massive hit.
ok. i've heard.
The only Yoruba artiste that appeals to me is 9nice.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by salesforce: 2:02pm On Sep 18, 2017
Oh
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by Kaymaxine(m): 2:10pm On Sep 18, 2017
hahn:
He is already at a disadvantage since he raps in Yoruba

He is still richer than a lot of US based rappers though
...Lik who.
Please learn to back up ur claims wif facts and proof.
Ma ma fi dollar we cefa
Ma ma fi dollar we naira!!!
Receive sense!
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by hahn(m): 2:15pm On Sep 18, 2017
Kaymaxine:

...Lik who.
Please learn to back up ur claims wif facts and proof.
Ma ma fi dollar we cefa
Ma ma fi dollar we naira!!!
Receive sense!

Please just join the other idiots who lack comprehension capabilities over there in the dumb room

Thank you for commenting smiley
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by Temysteve(m): 3:57pm On Sep 18, 2017
sexiestharam:
Does Olamide really need to impress the international market? He has impressed the Nigerian market, he is a pride to nigerians. I think we are ok with that. Let him not lose focus and start thinking of the international market, then lose it all. We have enough examples!
is better you make your statement 'direct' rather than dying in silence.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by hAlexandro(m): 4:05pm On Sep 18, 2017
Summer body made it to the bill board bro
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by sexyellency(m): 4:23pm On Sep 18, 2017
Mrchippychappy:

What street if I may ask? The streets of Lagos? The streets of Benin? The streets of Enugu? The streets of Port harcourt? The streets of Jos? The streets of Kano? The streets of Abia? Which of these streets is Olamide the king and over lord of? You can't sit in a tiny box somewhere in Lagos and declare some degenerate as the king of rap music in Nigeria. Some Northerners (who are actually known for putting out 100% real hip hop) haven't heard or don't really care for the trash music Olamide puts out, same can be said about the PH real hip hop music scene. The rest of the indigenous rappers scrapping for left overs? Say that about Yung Six in Benin or Phyno in the entire south east and get a resounding smack across your face! Stupid clowns think everything revolves around the waste land. You can't just make a stupid blanket statement that Olamide is king of rap just because you are his fan. This is why he keeps flunking and would never be an international artiste.
All ur listed regions have representatives in Lagos where they fall for him. That makes him the street king.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by sexyellency(m): 4:23pm On Sep 18, 2017
Mrchippychappy:

What street if I may ask? The streets of Lagos? The streets of Benin? The streets of Enugu? The streets of Port harcourt? The streets of Jos? The streets of Kano? The streets of Abia? Which of these streets is Olamide the king and over lord of? You can't sit in a tiny box somewhere in Lagos and declare some degenerate as the king of rap music in Nigeria. Some Northerners (who are actually known for putting out 100% real hip hop) haven't heard or don't really care for the trash music Olamide puts out, same can be said about the PH real hip hop music scene. The rest of the indigenous rappers scrapping for left overs? Say that about Yung Six in Benin or Phyno in the entire south east and get a resounding smack across your face! Stupid clowns think everything revolves around the waste land. You can't just make a stupid blanket statement that Olamide is king of rap just because you are his fan. This is why he keeps flunking and would never be an international artiste.
All ur listed regions have representatives in Lagos where they fall for him. That made him the street king.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by Hautside(m): 4:25pm On Sep 18, 2017
Queerworld:
Hip hop. No. Team Country music. Don Williams, Dolly parton, Kenny rogers, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Jim reeves, peasall sisters, Bill and Gaither. Etc Dz are just so soothing to me not some musical noise.......

I believe in love. Don Williams

Farewell Jamaica Don Williams

Wings of a dove Dolly parton. To mention few. Those are music soothing to my hearing.

In absence of Country music, gimme K1, Ebenezer obey, sunny ade etc. Where I can enjoy the real music with guitar and other instruments that gvs me joy. Not some Beat or is it jamz una dey call am

Listen to "Die a happy man"... Thomas Rhett and thank me later.#teamcountry#
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by hustleranthem(m): 5:12pm On Sep 18, 2017
Queerworld:
Hip hop. No. Team Country music. Don Williams, Dolly parton, Kenny rogers, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Jim reeves, peasall sisters, Bill and Gaither. Etc Dz are just so soothing to me not some musical noise.......

I believe in love. Don Williams

Farewell Jamaica Don Williams

Wings of a dove Dolly parton. To mention few. Those are music soothing to my hearing.

In absence of Country music, gimme K1, Ebenezer obey, sunny ade etc. Where I can enjoy the real music with guitar and other instruments that gvs me joy. Not some Beat or is it jamz una dey call am
ur playlist must be super boring..sleep go just catch me with ur kinda playlist
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by Kaymaxine(m): 5:18pm On Sep 18, 2017
hahn:

Please just join the other idiots who lack comprehension capabilities over there in the dumb room

Thank you for commenting smiley
I dnt blame you
Your username has said everytn bout u...
Hahn...xclaimation word!!!
Kipkwayet
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by gideon1971(m): 5:38pm On Sep 18, 2017
cosby02:
grin
pervert
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by Queerworld(m): 8:55pm On Sep 18, 2017
hustleranthem:
ur playlist must be super boring..sleep go just catch me with ur kinda playlist

Toor one mans food z another mans poison..... My sister say so too though.
Re: 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market by hustleranthem(m): 8:58pm On Sep 18, 2017
Queerworld:

Toor one mans food z another mans poison..... My sister say so too though.
as a music lover u have to be versatile..a little bit of this and a little bit of that..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"oh I Hate To See You Go" Wedding Song - Please Remind Me / Olamide Signs Asake, New Artist To YBNL Record Label (Photos) / Apple's Siri: Davido's Blow My Mind Is Most Popular Song In The World -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.