Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,398 members, 7,836,596 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D (4047 Views)

N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor / List Of Nigeria's Current State Governors In 2011-2015 Term / How Abacha, Abusalami, Obasanjo, Dan Etete, Atiku, Pdp, Audu Ogbe, Vin Ogbulafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by mekusxxx: 12:09am On Mar 04, 2010
One way that RP can solve problems such as we have now is this:

-Elect a president from one region (e.g., North East)
-Elect 2 VPs, one from the same region as the president and the other from another region (e.g., South South)
-The two VPs are equal in status, but the VP from the president's regions will be largely ceremonial and can infact have no biz in Aso Rock until needed (below) while the other VP, remains a normal VP working at Aso Rock
-If the president dies or is incapacitated, the VP of his region takes over and the other VP remains a VP.

Otherwise, we do it the Swiss way in which they have 6 men (from the 6 swiss cantoons) elected into the presidency and amongst them, they select the real president while the rest are VPs. Then we rotate the president among the other 5 VPs every 1 or 2 years until all have become presidents. Then the 6 of them automatically step down, never to contest for the presidency until after a specified number of years, usually 6. Basically they will not succeed themselves.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by DisGuy: 1:01am On Mar 04, 2010
frosbel:

For all those ignoramuses who are telling me that I did not read the article very well, see below a link to the latest news from BBC regarding this and titled 'Nigeria ruling party wants Muslim leader for 2011 poll '

Excerpt : Nigeria's ruling party wants a Muslim from the north as its candidate in next year's presidential election, ruling out acting President Goodluck Jonathan.

Link :  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8548347.stm

you are still an ignoramus for not reading it yet again!! if you notice, the BBC article was done this evening after you posted your ignorant statement, just because it's from the BBC don't mean i should believe it, the BBC is doing exactly what you are doing, giving the content a bit of of colour!!

"The south had the presidency for eight years and it is proper to allow the north to have the presidency for eight years," PDP national chairman Vincent Ogbulafor told reporters after a meeting with officials late on Tuesday.

"[Mr Yar'Adua] is still the president. Goodluck Jonathan is still the acting president. What we discussed has to do with 2011,

the actual quote from the bbc,thisday,etc etc
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by SkyBlue1: 2:18am On Mar 04, 2010
mekusxxx:

Rotational presidency (RP) is practiced in several developed economies, the most apparent being Switzerland. Lebanon, a much more developed and organized society, also practices RT between christians and muslims.
In the absence of rotational presidency, no southerner can ever rule Nigeria because we are fragmented into SW, SE and SS in a very palpable manner, and the north, which has been able to hold out as one region (instead of looking at themselves as NE, NC, and NW) knows how to play the game of dividing the south. On that basis RP is the only way a southerner can have the opportunity to rule. Obasanjo was able to rule because the North (masters of the political chess game in Nigeria) allowed it via RP. If in doubt, let PDP remove RP and lets see how any southerner can ever be able to rule. Within the practice of RP, you can pick the best candidates that each region can offer and who are acceptable to all Nigerians, and subject them to an intense primary election process. This is a very simple matter that I have canvasses here several times. We seem to have this stalemate now because PDP has yet to constitutionalize RP. When that is done, scenarios such as we have now with Yaradua and Jonathan will not emanate.

mekusxxx:

One way that RP can solve problems such as we have now is this:

-Elect a president from one region (e.g., North East)
-Elect 2 VPs, one from the same region as the president and the other from another region (e.g., South South)
-The two VPs are equal in status, but the VP from the president's regions will be largely ceremonial and can infact have no biz in Aso Rock until needed (below) while the other VP, remains a normal VP working at Aso Rock
-If the president dies or is incapacitated, the VP of his region takes over and the other VP remains a VP.

Otherwise, we do it the Swiss way in which they have 6 men (from the 6 swiss cantoons) elected into the presidency and amongst them, they select the real president while the rest are VPs. Then we rotate the president among the other 5 VPs every 1 or 2 years until all have become presidents. Then the 6 of them automatically step down, never to contest for the presidency until after a specified number of years, usually 6. Basically they will not succeed themselves.

Ugh, enough already please. I would like to believe that you are not purposely trying to be mischevious with your rants. What about MKO Abiola? Was he a northerner? Yet he won what is regarded by most to be the most credible elections Nigeria has ever had. Again, please, stop already. Each party puts up a candidate (from whatever partof the country they are from), and we all vote for the person we want, who we feel is most competent and believe might be the country's best shot at progress and development. Why on earth would you rather have people's freedom taken away? So I should not be able to consider voting for Pat Utomi because it is not his turn. Ugh!!

So because Switzerland and Lebanon practise it means it should be copied? We do not copy anything progressive or good, only the questionable practises.A lot of countries have a freedom of information bill, why hasn't Nigeria got one? We should not copy that, it is rotational presidency we should copy. Do tell, how many ethnic groups are in Switzerland and Lebanon? If you are going to play the "progressive", who is only looking for a design to suit the peculiar needs of the country, then I say full rotation for all 250 ethnic groups (each one having two terms), or non at all. If your village or ethnic group's turn has passed forget about seeing the position for at least a millenium. Anything other than full rotation exposes the ethnic chauvinism, anti democratic and dictatorial tendencies, and anti progressive agenda of the supporters of rotation. Full rotation, or spare us the drivel. What is the fear in that? Una turn don pass? We are all meant to be equal so why not treat us as such?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by mekusxxx: 2:50am On Mar 04, 2010
^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^
The full gist of MKO's so-called victory has yet to unravel. He played money politics and it worked for him. Moreover the North also supported him due to his religion. He was never going to be a good president, anyways, and it was good that he was stopped, otherwise Nigeria would have been completely mortgaged after his 8 years. These are stories for another day.

I am from the East and I make bold to say that except we have RP, the Igbo and the other Eastern minorities, would in all likelihood, not be able to smell Aso Rock due to the connivance of the North and the SW to keep them away. The PDP chairman, himself an Igbo understands this very clearly. Anyone who does not like RP should form their own party and wrestle power from the PDP. It is that easy.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Nobody: 9:02am On Mar 04, 2010
RP is good but it need to be constitutionalized. because PDP is not the only party in Nigeria. if we have president from the north the next should be from the south else i am sorry to say some minotities well not smell ASO ROCK VILLA. but yet the south are not united in terms of producing candidate, ask your self why is it when it comes for the south to produce candidate the yorubas always have it? i thing the southerners should team up.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by sheriffman(m): 10:13am On Mar 04, 2010
Truly we all know the PDP is a sick party with alot of people who have no good plans for the country.
But for me I think there is an angle to all of this which we have all overlooked.
Knowing how much Nigerians love power
What will happen in 2015 if and when a PDP incumbent President from the North still has an interest in the presidency considering that the constitution allows him to go for a second term? (Remember Anambra).
And even Vincent should have known that the controversy he is stirring now is premature.
Will the PDP then be bold and foolish enough to favor that incumbent then or not?
What happens to Goodluck after 2011 elections will he still retain his position as a VP or be pushed aside?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 04, 2010
@sheriffman\
who cares, that is PDP's problem. we are going to vote massively coming 2011 and make sure that the person wins will asume power inrespective of his PARTY, RELIGION, and what have you. so open your eyes well well shocked shocked shocked grin
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 04, 2010
sad
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by mekusxxx: 1:20pm On Mar 04, 2010
sheriffman:

Truly we all know the PDP is a sick party with alot of people who have no good plans for the country.
But for me I think there is an angle to all of this which we have all overlooked.
Knowing how much Nigerians love power
What will happen in 2015 if and when a PDP incumbent President from the North still has an interest in the presidency considering that the constitution allows him to go for a second term? (Remember Anambra).
And even Vincent should have known that the controversy he is stirring now is premature.
Will the PDP then be bold and foolish enough to favor that incumbent then or not?
What happens to Goodluck after 2011 elections will he still retain his position as a VP or be pushed aside?

The principle of the PDP rotational presidency is clear. It is based on regions and not on personalities. So in 2011, the president if PDP, will in all likelihood come from the NW as Yaradua. Even the North supports RP so no need to cry over nothing. Ultimately, the president that comes in in 2011 has no choice but to step down in 2015; or he decamps to anoter party and try his luck there, so that PDP can get a SE or SS candidate as it should (in 2015)

Infact, on what basis will the south (SW) rule for 8 years and it becomes a taboo for the north (NW) to rule for 8 years in a polarized country such as Nigeria? Justice, fairplay and equity, people.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 2:54pm On Mar 04, 2010
mekusxxx:

The principle of the PDP rotational presidency is clear. It is based on regions and not on personalities. So in 2011, the president if PDP, will in all likelihood come from the NW as Yaradua. Even the North supports RP so no need to cry over nothing. Ultimately, the president that comes in in 2011 has no choice but to step down in 2015; or he decamps to anoter party and try his luck there, so that PDP can get a SE or SS candidate as it should (in 2015)

Infact, on what basis will the south (SW) rule for 8 years and it becomes a taboo for the north (NW) to rule for 8 years in a polarized country such as Nigeria? Justice, fairplay and equity, people.

So that means if during the 8 years that North needed to rule, there is a better candidate that can do the job better, more competent candidate in the South, we just have to settle for the North guy, cos it is North's time to rule, or if we can find better one in the North and yet it is time for the South to rule, we just go with it?
Then, i will say that is a ridiculous arrangement, getting the best person for the job, i think is what is more important.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by MsTom(f): 3:22pm On Mar 04, 2010
This is what is causing the problems in Nigeria. What formulae are they using? The mandate should be for those who are capable of ruling and not a tribal thingy. And to think that these statements came from a southerner.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 3:23pm On Mar 04, 2010
MsTom:

This is what is causing the problems in Nigeria. What formulae are they using? The mandate should be for those who are capable of ruling and not a tribal thingy. And to think that these statements came from a southerner.

Well OBJ was part of the deal.
I cant agree with you more, that we need a leader not based on the tribe but based on competency
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by mekusxxx: 3:33pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

So that means if during the 8 years that North needed to rule, there is a better candidate that can do the job better, more competent candidate in the South, we just have to settle for the North guy, cos it is North's time to rule, or if we can find better one in the North and yet it is time for the South to rule, we just go with it?
Then, i will say that is a ridiculous arrangement, getting the best person for the job, i think is what is more important.

Why are you guys so cocky? Are there no competent persons in the North? Are all Southerners competent? Your argument is lame. Why not form a party and try to do non-rotational presidency and lets see how far you can go? Why the obsession with PDP?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 3:36pm On Mar 04, 2010
mekusxxx:

Why are you guys so cocky? Are there no competent persons in the North? Are all Southerners competent? Your argument is lame.

You dont seems to be reading my post well, Sir.
45% of my good friends are from the North, and they are smart people, i mean really smart.
I love the Northerner not any less than i love the southerners.
Here is my argument . . . . . Let us have democracy based on competency and potential of the person and not based on the tribe that the person came from.
There are so many tribes that has fell thru the crack and yet some people there are just amazingly smart and have all it takes to steer the ship of Nija, but they will never get the chance cos they are not from North, South, East or west . . . .now to me, that is pathetic.
Let the people chose who will rule them and dont tell them how to vote.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by mekusxxx: 3:41pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

You dont seems to be reading my post well, Sir.
45% of my good friends are from the North, and they are smart people, i mean really smart.
I love the Northerner not any less than i love the southerners.
Here is my argument . . . . . Let us have democracy based on competency and potential of the person and not based on the tribe that the person came from.
There are so many tribes that has fell thru the crack and yet some people there are just amazingly smart and have all it takes to steer the ship of Nija, but they will never get the chance cos they are not from North, South, East or west . . . .now to me, that is pathetic.
Let the people chose who will rule them and dont tell them how to vote.

Again, a lame argument. It is not based on tribes but on regions. Besides, there is no tribe that does not belong to one region or another.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by vinceobe: 3:41pm On Mar 04, 2010
What or who gave the rudderless PDP the impression that they are going to win the Presidency in 2011?  They should not deceive themselves, the presidency will elude them in 2011. I say so and I mean it.  Ogbulafor can as well go to to hell with his zoning system that will produce a muslim Northerner in 2011 for all I care. Nigerians are tired of their antics,  poor and decadent performance.  After 11 years of rulership, what have they to show for it?  Nothing. Absolutely nothing!  Let other parties, like the AC come out and field  credible Presidential Candidate and I am positive such person will carry they day.  PDP rigged themselves to power.  Block those rigging loopholes , they are no where.  The recent cases of Edo Etsako West and Anambra are good examples of elections that were allowed to run their natural courses.  I urge Ag President Jonathan Goodluck to do Nigeria a favour and embold his name in gold by implementing the Uweis Electoral Reforms Reports and embark on electoral reforms.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by chukz4real(m): 3:46pm On Mar 04, 2010
It baffles when PDP burgs us with which part rules tomorrow and which rules next tomorrow. Are they the only political party in Nigeria? What if another political party wins the seat of the presidency come 2011?

Oh, still believing in the power of rigging uh?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 3:47pm On Mar 04, 2010
mekusxxx:

Again, a lame argument. It is not based on tribes but on regions. Besides, there is no tribe that does not belong to one region or another.

Chief, i am so shocked that in this kinda age that we are in . . . .we cld agree to wanna rotate presidency, based on Region.
Now will the region be based on where you were born or where you live. . . . . .is there anything in the deal that takes care of that?
A man from the North is married to a woman in the South and give birth to child, can that child run for south or run for North when it is turn of the Northerner to be the president and yet the child lived all is life in a different region?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 3:48pm On Mar 04, 2010
chukz4real:

It baffles when PDP burgs us with which part rules tomorrow and which rules next tomorrow. Are they the only political party in Nigeria? What if another political party wins the seat of the presidency come 2011?

Oh, still believing in the power of rigging uh?

Till things changed, PDP will always win, cos they have the money to buy the heart of many people
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by ufot(m): 3:51pm On Mar 04, 2010
I am not sure why we Nigerians are always hung up on tribalism!!! The presidency contention should be based on merit and the most qualified not some rotational BS
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 3:54pm On Mar 04, 2010
ufot:

I am not sure why we Nigerians are always hung up on tribalism!!! The presidency contention should be based on merit and the most qualified not some rotational BS

That is what i think democracy is all about too . . . .so me and you both
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Akanbiedu(m): 4:08pm On Mar 04, 2010
One question. Lets assume there is no rotational presidency, the elections are fair and a zone keeps winning. Will the other zones accept this scenario in Nigeria?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 4:12pm On Mar 04, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

One question. Lets assume there is no rotational presidency, the elections are fair and a zone keeps winning. Will the other zones accept this scenario in Nigeria?

If the election id free and fair that means the zone must represents something for people to keep voting for them.
Democracy is the govt of the people by the people for the people, so if the PEOPLE keep voting for same zone, it means it is the voice of the people and that means people are being heard.
Now tell me what is wrong with that scene
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by ufot(m): 4:29pm On Mar 04, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

, First of all thanks for agreeing with me on my first point, but in answer to above point, i say if there is a free and fair election, that can never happen. It is impossible for the same zone to keep winning. Remember the last election when Duke was told not to run? why is that? Of all the contestants, Duke was the most qualified at that time, but he was not even given a chance to lose. I hate politics in Nigeria with a passion.
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 4:31pm On Mar 04, 2010
ufot:

, First of all thanks for agreeing with me on my first point, but in answer to above point, i say if there is a free and fair election, that can never happen. It is impossible for the same zone to keep winning. Remember the last election when Duke was told not to run? why is that? Of all the contestants, Duke was the most qualified at that time, but he was not even given a chance to lose. I hate politics in Nigeria with a passion.

No need to hate it, we just need to find a way to make it work and serve its purpose
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by detopshot(m): 4:49pm On Mar 04, 2010
Thank goodness they failed, PDP almost dragged this nation to the 'middle of nowhere'. i've said it several times, nigerians will be fools if they vote PDP in the next elections. Like one of my brothers asked: WHY SHOULD THEY THINK THEY'LL WIN IN NEXT GENERAL ELECTIONS?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 5:01pm On Mar 04, 2010
detopshot:

Thank goodness they failed, PDP almost dragged this nation to the 'middle of nowhere'. i've said it several times, nigerians will be fools if they vote PDP in the next elections. Like one of my brothers asked: WHY SHOULD THEY THINK THEY'LL WIN IN NEXT GENERAL ELECTIONS?

Cos they got the money and as long as money remain the password to the Nigerian's heart, they will "win"
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by otondo55: 5:06pm On Mar 04, 2010
That is Insanity !

Dont ever play GOD !

Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 5:07pm On Mar 04, 2010
otondo55:

That is Insanity !

Dont ever play GOD !

Could you explain?
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Pharoh: 5:15pm On Mar 04, 2010
No party vote is the solution to election rigging and all these rubbish.

I am cooking up my option A4 for that right now. cool
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Fhemmmy: 5:16pm On Mar 04, 2010
Pharoh:

No party vote is the solution to election rigging and all these rubbish.

I am cooking up my option A4 for that right now. cool

Ummmmm
Re: No Southern president in 2011 –Ogbulafor D by Tuyis: 5:17pm On Mar 04, 2010
This is one of the things the National Assembly should be working on. The Zoning arrangement is a good way to stabilize the polity and give the ethnic groups a sense of belonging.
I believe it can be perfected and included in the constitution.
In the spirit of fairness, I don't see anything wrong in the presidency going to the North in 2011 as long as the president can provide a purposeful leadership for all Nigerians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2-yr Old Baby Sues Lagos State For N500m / Jubilation In The North On Ojukwu's Death / What GEJ Has Done To Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.