Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals (42555 Views)

Stop Using Tissue Paper To Wipe Your Nyash After Poo, Always Use Water . / No Bra Day 2019 Trends On Twitter: See How Nigerians Are Marking It (photos) / Death In A Gin Bottle: How Nigerians Are Drinking Themselves To The Grave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by ofuonyebi: 7:31pm On Sep 22, 2017
whose fault? ...ask our politicians that collected millions or sorry, billions of constituency water-bolehole projects fund

on behalf of the people but swallow everything to puff-up their thieving belly...

leaving the masses who voted for them to drink from the rivers and gutters...

one day, nemesis will catch up with them and the people will be the one to smile last..
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by timexkaka: 7:32pm On Sep 22, 2017
Abuja has a sewage system and a treatment plant in wupa
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by omegaurch1: 7:32pm On Sep 22, 2017

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by pope5(m): 7:34pm On Sep 22, 2017
I quite agree with you but on the contrary, when water percolate filtration occurs and research have shown that slow sand filtration have been able to naturally deal with impurities even bacteria, i believe many of those who suffer much are those who do not get to the proper aquifer and do not treat after

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by fatherdfd: 7:35pm On Sep 22, 2017
Op i don't agree with u at all. The depth at which borehole are dug. I doubt if any microorganism found in sewage would b able to survive. If u say flowing underground water like wells i accept. That's y poor men suffer more water borne diseases

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:35pm On Sep 22, 2017
jboy73:
What's this one saying?
Is it your poo?
Common
grin grin grin grin
No ki me abeg.
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by phonegeek(m): 7:35pm On Sep 22, 2017
Sad truth. All sanitary landfills/"suck aways" should be sealed on all sides but we all know that ain't happening. The only reason i see for most people not being sick yet has to be the role of extreme temperatures found as you move down the earth(temp gradient) and a few boreholes that have their water treated.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:38pm On Sep 22, 2017
keypad1:
Brown roof dwellers r very dirty people.
you people should stop making me laugh biko.
Where's this you comment comming from. grin grin grin
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by Fidelismaria: 7:39pm On Sep 22, 2017
sad
so what should we now do bout it op
what's the solution?
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by Fidelismaria: 7:39pm On Sep 22, 2017
sad
so what should we now do bout it op
what's the solution?
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:40pm On Sep 22, 2017
Comments here make me laugh so hard. Maybe because I'm sick and everything seems hilarious.
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by globatop: 7:40pm On Sep 22, 2017
The law says a distance of minimum of 50ft between septic tank and source of drinking water be maintained

United Nations promised us water by 1990 (according to Fela Anikulapo Kuti), pls remind me when it is 1990 so that I can take UN to task.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by xmaticguy(m): 7:41pm On Sep 22, 2017
Rubbish post..... If na so why we Neva die.. Ure talking bout bore hole well nko...u beta do correct research before posting shit....how many of the microorganisms will make it at that dept
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by vikendios(m): 7:45pm On Sep 22, 2017
ayourbamie:
Sucker way or soak away?

It's actually SOAK AWAY.
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by belindar: 7:47pm On Sep 22, 2017
Tolexander:
The OP doesn't seem to know that the soil is a good filter of water going into the aquifer.

Moreover, some of these microorganisms cant survive the condition in the soil.

You wrong. Where did you get your theory from. The op is right. Do you want to go collect the waters from the borehole and see dangerous micro organisms and particles in it?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by goingape1: 7:47pm On Sep 22, 2017
Adieza:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=272389653267150&id=158338594672257
who is this illiterate undecided

the ground (soil to simplifier it for your small brain) is the perfect filter. your shiit no dey go directly to the ground water and the ground is divided by what we called fault.

so it is advisable to give about 10-50meters gap to your source of water from the soak way when planning your House
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by whytepawn1(m): 7:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
Tolexander:
The OP doesn't seem to know that the soil is a good filter of water going into the aquifer.

more like biodegradable substances.
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by Reference(m): 7:49pm On Sep 22, 2017
Because of poor planning regulations and ignorance on the part of home owners such problems indeed do exist. The general word of advice in develpoing new properties in virgin areas is in two parts:

One, wait till everyone else around (plots besides and behind) have sunk their water well (borehole) then just go fifty feet deeper to guarantee better filtration.
Second, wait till everyone else has built their septic tanks and soak pits then locate your water well at least 30 feet from the nearest one even if over the fence; because once you've done yours your neighbours are under no obligation to move their plans for waste dump from near your well. You will need their goodwill and grace to do that in this lawless society of ours.

But if you cannot wait for them to settle in or cannot ascertain where their waste infrastructure is located the second train of wisdom says locate your well just inside the front facing/road leaning fence line somewhere at the midpoint of the plot. Then you can be sure the half width of your plot is the minimum distance to any existing, potential and future planned cesspit. Afterall no one will dig one right in the middle of the street and your fence should protect it from flood invasion.

However if you are still skeptical you might as well pre plan to have it sunk right in the middle of your building and have a service chamber built around and above it. That is the ultimate guarantee against bio-invasion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by LordIsaac(m): 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2017
Adieza:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=272389653267150&id=158338594672257
A country that waits on Goɗ to ɗo everything gets everything from Goɗ...OP... grin
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by tolexy123: 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2017
Tolexander:

thank u
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by belindar: 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2017
fatherdfd:
Op i don't agree with u at all. The depth at which borehole are dug. I doubt if any microorganism found in sewage would b able to survive. If u say flowing underground water like wells i accept. That's y poor men suffer more water borne diseases

The water coming from borehole, was it purified b4 going to houses?
Do u think the Advanced countries are stupid when they purified their water and monitor it constantly?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by 2shure: 7:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
U go soon die
Better go load 50 litres drink
Or aday 1st timer
Enter swimming pool
Just 5 feet
And drown a bit
So u can drink enuf pool water
I pray make u nor drink water na just God
HMZi:
Thats why i dont drink water
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by Tolexander: 7:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
belindar:

You wrong. Where did you get your theory from. The op is right. Do you want to go collect the waters from the borehole and see dangerous micro organisms and particles in it?
Your proof?
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by Nostradamu(m): 7:53pm On Sep 22, 2017
LogicStatement:

Do not totally despise what the op has posted, he still have some valid points. The question is how deep is the boreholes that are being dug in Nigeria? I happened to witness the digging of a borehole in an area in Lagos where houses are closely built without allowances or space and no cross ventilation and the suckway of one building is not far to another building's borehole. The dept of this borehole is not deep enough, in fact, what can best be described as a well is often called borehole.
Another thing I noticed is that, when they dig borehole in most places in Nigeria like Lagos, they often consider the location of the building's suck away without considering the location of their neighbour's suck away therefore, you see that contaminants from the neighbour's suck away can easily percolate through ground water into their borehole water. This calls for public health concern

it's 'soak-away', not suckway! @OP too.
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by emerged01(m): 7:53pm On Sep 22, 2017
Tolexander:

Thank you! The soil is a good filter. Even when running filter tanks system you will make use of different types of sand in different layers. Though water on island is not drinkable without treatment. We all can understand why it is like that because most parts are sandfill. No rich man on island drinks raw water except it is well treated. Some even go the length of installing reverse osmosis.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by redsun(m): 7:54pm On Sep 22, 2017
Nigeria is a country that soldiers on blind. Nothing is rationally thought out,NOTHING,whatsoever.
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by uwajeh(m): 7:55pm On Sep 22, 2017
My brother please don't say what you don't know. Abuja has a functional sewage drainage system within the city centre. Ask around.
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by trilobite: 7:55pm On Sep 22, 2017
The Op has a point just that his post is too shallow. He should have also talked about chemical pollution.

The bacteria pollution of groundwater is easily avoided if some conditions are met:

1. A very well dug borehole: That is ensuring that the presence of an artesian aquifer before installation. for instance if the borehole was obtained from a fresh basement (ignesous rock) aquifer or a sandstone layer sandwiched between thick layers of shale.

2. Proper distance of separation from sewage disposal sites.

3. proper installation to block of entrance of surface water.

sadly these conditions are hardly met as geologists are becoming corrupted as their politician clients. irony of life.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by lanreg95(m): 7:56pm On Sep 22, 2017
Nice one OP...groundwater pollution has actually been a serious cause of concern, most especially when the so called soak away are not properly designed which causes each seepage, and also the more reasons why boreholes of such should be situated in farther distances frm industrial areas or landfill sites.
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by uwajeh(m): 7:56pm On Sep 22, 2017
Abuja has a central purification system somewhere around Idu.
Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by asawanathegreat(m): 7:57pm On Sep 22, 2017
My brother we dey drink anything drinkable jux leave d story for tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Drinking Their Own Poo - Aroms Aigbehi Reveals by miqos02(m): 7:57pm On Sep 22, 2017
hmmm
HMZi:
Thats why i dont drink water

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Iyienu Mission Hospital, Anambra: Oldest Mission Hospital In Igboland (Photos) / Sorrow As Gallant Mopol Who Survived Many Battles, Dies Suddenly. Photos / Photos From General Hospital Otukpo, Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.