Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,277 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria (1768 Views)

Our Landlord Says He Fathered My Second Baby, Insists On Naming Him —husband / Suggest A Name For My Baby Girl: The Naming Ceremony Of My Baby Is Tomorrow / Ajibola Otubusin Holds Naming Ceremony For Her Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Lombrozo(m): 4:24pm On Sep 23, 2017
Child dedication or naming ceremony, any how you call it,
is it compulsory to observe this,
and if anyone choose not to,
what could be the consequence ?
It's just a religious activity. though my opinion
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 23, 2017
it's not compulsory

There are no consequences

Nigerians just like troubling themselves with unnecessary things.

most people only do it because of tradition or spirituality(religion) I see it as a waste of money and time and will never do it
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Adaumunocha(f): 4:30pm On Sep 23, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Lombrozo(m): 4:37pm On Sep 23, 2017
Evaberry:
it's not compulsory

There are no consequences

Nigerians just like troubling themselves with unnecessary things.

most people only do it because of tradition or spirituality(religion) I see it as a waste of money and time and will never do it

you sound not be religiously active
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 23, 2017
Lombrozo:

what exactly is going on... tell me
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Lombrozo(m): 5:35pm On Sep 23, 2017
[quote author=MykOnyxo post=60758707]

what exactly is going on... tell me

some people were discussing about the issue, and I was like, is it compulsory to waste the hard earned money that could be use for other things
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by ImaIma1(f): 2:28pm On Sep 24, 2017
It is not everyone that spends money on naming. You could call a Pastor to come pray and name the child without any other person involved.
It is not all tribes that throw parties and even pick aso ebi for naming.
I intend to just call a Pastor to pray.
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Lombrozo(m): 7:57pm On Sep 24, 2017
It is not everyone that spends money on naming. You could call a Pastor to come pray and name the child without any other person involved.
I intend to just call a Pastor to pray.[/quote]
Christian will find it difficult to do this because they will invite the church members to attend there ceremony
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Lombrozo(m): 7:57pm On Sep 24, 2017
I intend to just call a Pastor to pray.[/quote]
Christian will find it difficult to do this because they will invite all church members to attend there ceremony
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Windflower(f): 10:03pm On Sep 24, 2017
Lombrozo:
It's just a religious activity. though my opinion
To me its not compulsory,you can just call a pastor/cleric to pray and name the baby. Take few pictures and give the visitors small chops,drinks or biscuit. I prefer doing things in a simple way,why waste money on frivolities, some would even go to the extent of taking aso ebi and cook as if they are expecting a whole state.
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Windflower(f): 10:06pm On Sep 24, 2017
Lombrozo:
I intend to just call a Pastor to pray.
Christian will find it difficult to do this because they will invite the church members to attend there ceremony
Its not difficult, few church members come they sit in your living room or rent small chair if its not enough,after the naming,you share whatever you have to .Everything is already over within a space of 3hours.I know someone who used this method
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Lombrozo(m): 11:18pm On Sep 24, 2017
[quote author=Windflower post=60796705]
Its not difficult, few church members come they sit in your living room or rent small chair if its not enough,after the naming,you share whatever you have to .Everything is already over within a space of 3hours.I know someone who used this method

the question is that, if this naming ceremony is not done by Pastor or Cleric at all,, could there be any consequence
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by sisisioge: 5:27am On Sep 25, 2017
I find the thought of naming the babies straight from the hospital the day they are born appealing...no sinrenren.

1 Like

Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Lombrozo(m): 8:23am On Sep 25, 2017
sisisioge:
I find the thought of naming the babies straight from the hospital the day they are born appealing...no sinrenren.
very appealing to the mind but difficult not to do the celebration in this our society
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by Abiagirl777(f): 2:19pm On Sep 25, 2017
Lombrozo:

very appealing to the mind but difficult not to do the celebration in this our society

It isnt difficult anything.you don't conform to society to your own detriment.If you don't want to do it,take ur newborn to the pastor or invite him over and let him pray.Shikena.
I'm Igbo an I name my children as soon as they pop out,nobody will come and talk nonsense in my ears.
Even our pastor(Opm) has warned us several to stop burdening ourselves with these stuffs. bring ur child for dedication no other string attached.
Re: Hmm! Naming Ceremony In Nigeria by lopside12: 10:14am On Sep 26, 2017
The few Oyibo i know, the birth announcement came with the name of the baby and it was even sent directly from the hospital....

Left for me alone i will name my child without a clergy afterall in the birth certificate issued at the time of his birth the name would have been written down.

BTW what do i know? Make the husband do the party he so wishes.

(1) (Reply)

Have A Stranger Ever Been So Nice To You?? Share Your Experience / How Do One Control One's Mouth Even When One Is Extremely Angry? / I'm Confused And Lost At This Point. What's The Way Forward?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.