Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,264 members, 7,829,540 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? (1283 Views)

Non Religious Believers in god Come Here / How Easy Is Inter- Denominational Marriage In Your Church? / Why Are Tech Giants All Non-religious? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Sep 25, 2017
Concerning how conservative and religious African culture is. How easy was it for you to meet someone that completely looked past your lack of belief? I'm pretty young and haven't gotten myself too deep in the dating field but I want to hear from you guys.

For the older ones here, how was it, meeting their parents? (in case you intend to get married). Did their families disapprove of you strongly? Have you ever lost a potential partner because of this religion ish?
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by superhumanist(m): 12:03am On Sep 26, 2017
Very difficult.

Either you act like you are down with religion or you hope your partner is one of the few 1% that will understand your non-belief

1 Like

Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by Nobody: 12:43am On Sep 26, 2017
superhumanist:
Very difficult.

Either you act like you are down with religion or you hope your partner is one of the few 1% that will understand your non-belief
If you act like you believe in their religion. . .then it cant turn into anything meaningful or long term, dont you think?
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by adepeter2027(m): 9:40am On Sep 26, 2017
Road blocked.

Don't even dream of it

2 Likes

Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by superhumanist(m): 9:44am On Sep 26, 2017
AnonyNymous:

If you act like you believe in their religion. . .then it cant turn into anything meaningful or long term, dont you think?

That is why I put 2 choices. Either you fake being religious or you tell your partner the truth and hope that your partner is reasonable.
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by adepeter2027(m): 9:47am On Sep 26, 2017
superhumanist:

That is why I put 2 choices. Either you fake being religious or you tell your partner the truth and hope that your partner is reasonable.
Faking it is za very best option.

Most of them ain't reasonable to withstand one's stand on religion oo.

1 Like

Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by Nobody: 9:50am On Sep 26, 2017
adepeter2027:
Road blocked.

Don't even dream of it
Road block grin how far na, share your experience
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by adepeter2027(m): 9:52am On Sep 26, 2017
AnonyNymous:

Road block grin how far na, share your experience
Lol.

Don't wanna even bring up that past experience. It hurts me whenever I reminisce da sh!t.
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by atheist5(m): 10:59am On Sep 26, 2017
adepeter2027:

dude any body not reasonable enough to let an adult like me take my logical stance on religion should not be in my life

4 Likes

Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by superhumanist(m): 11:02am On Sep 26, 2017
adepeter2027:

Unless you meet a rich and exposed bae. I find that many of those who have spent considerable years abroad and live a self-dependent life are usually less religious even if they are from religious homes.
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by tintingz(m): 2:00pm On Sep 26, 2017
Like someone above said ladies that lived abroad will understand someone irreligiousness, African ladies here that are irreligious or don't have problem with your stance on religion are hard to see.

I think it is better to lie to the lady's family you're religious but tell the truth to the lady that you're not.

2 Likes

Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by dalaman: 4:09pm On Sep 26, 2017
tintingz:
Like someone above said ladies that lived abroad will understand someone irreligiousness, African ladies here that are irreligious or don't have problem with your stance on religion are hard to see.

I think it is better to lie to the lady's family you're religious but tell the truth to the lady that you're not.

There are few ladies that understand what it means to be irreligious. My wife for example grew up with an irreligious father so when I told her I no longer believed she kind of understood my position.

3 Likes

Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by tintingz(m): 5:47pm On Sep 26, 2017
dalaman:

There are few ladies that understand what it means to be irreligious. My wife for example grew up with an irreligious father so when I told her I no longer believed she kind of understood my position.
Oh really? Are you base in Nigeria?

I use to chat with a Nigerian lady online who's a devoted Christian and she knows I'm irreligious, i was surprised when she said she doesn't mind marrying an irreligious man.

...but I no trust such lady, that's when they will invite pastors, church elders to use prayers, disturbance to force their beliefs on someone.
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by dalaman: 5:54pm On Sep 26, 2017
tintingz:

I use to chat with a Nigerian lady online who's a devoted Christian and she knows I'm irreligious, i was surprised when she said she doesn't mind marrying an irreligious man.

...but I no trust such lady, that's when they will invite pastors, church elders to use prayers, disturbance to force their beliefs on someone.

Yes am based in Nigeria.

I know one open Igbo atheist lady on facebook. She's atheist and very proud. She post a lot of atheist memes on her wall. She's the only open Nigerian atheist lady I know. But others I've met are just very liberal christians or Muslims but they all believe.
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 26, 2017
dalaman:

You were very lucky to meet someone like that! Or did you particularly search her out?
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by adepeter2027(m): 6:36pm On Sep 26, 2017
tintingz:

Hahahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by dalaman: 6:46pm On Sep 26, 2017
AnonyNymous:

You were very lucky to meet someone like that! Or did you particularly search her out?

I was a christian when I got married. I became an atheist like 6 years into the marriage. But when I told her I no longer believed she kind of understood my position cos her dad was irreligious. It wasn't a totally new thing to her.

2 Likes

Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by tintingz(m): 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2017
dalaman:

Yes am based in Nigeria.

I know one open Igbo atheist lady on facebook. She's atheist and very proud. She post a lot of atheist memes on her wall. She's the only open Nigerian atheist lady I know. But others I've met are just very liberal christians or Muslims but they all believe.
Wow, she's really courageous with the rejection she will face from are family, friends, society. Are you sure she's based in Nigeria?
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by tintingz(m): 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2017
dalaman:

I was a christian when I got married. I became an atheist like 6 years into the marriage. But when I told her I no longer believed she kind of understood my position cos her dad was irreligious. It wasn't a totally new thing to her.
Lucky man.
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by dalaman: 9:38pm On Sep 26, 2017
tintingz:
Wow, she's really courageous with the rejection she will face from are family, friends, society. Are you sure she's based in Nigeria?

Very sure. She's based in lagos.
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by tintingz(m): 10:53pm On Sep 26, 2017
dalaman:

Alright
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by superhumanist(m): 9:59am On Sep 27, 2017
dalaman:

grin Dalamama
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by dalaman: 10:06am On Sep 27, 2017
superhumanist:

grin Dalamama

You sef don turn voyeurr abi? grin
Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by superhumanist(m): 10:15am On Sep 27, 2017
dalaman:

You sef don turn voyeurr abi? grin

No sir. I remember you using that username and it was just so apt for your comment

1 Like

Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by ekehopp: 3:03am On Nov 13, 2017
You don't know the half of it...want to hear my story. very difficult.

Like someone mentioned, best bet might be to stick with those with international exposure.

Compatibility is a big factor for marriage consideration. So religion needs to be gotten right the first time.

1 Like

Re: Non-Religious Africans, How Easy/Hard Has Dating Been For You? by superhumanist(m): 10:54am On May 30, 2018
Need more thoughts on this

(1) (Reply)

Does Evolution Negate Design? / Saudi Arabia To Build Churches / Why I Think T.B Joshua Is A Fake Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.