Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? (2995 Views)

The Difference Between President Sall Of Senegal And Buhari Of Nigeria.. / President Donald Trump And Kim Jong-Un Arrive Singapore For Peace Talk(Photos) / Why Donald Trump Attacked The NFL Players Who Take A Knee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:32pm On Sep 26, 2017
What do we make of the battle between President Trump and the NFL?

What Do We Make of the Battle Between President Trump and the NFL?
By MICHAEL BROWN Published on September 25, 2017

On Sunday evening, the lead story on the Huffington Post announced, "FOOTBALL TAKES THE KNEE." The lead story on the Drudge Report proclaimed, "NFL TAKES KNEE." Left and right both agreed on the major news of the day. Beyond that, there was little agreement to be found.

NFL owners expressed their solidarity with the protesters and their disappointment with President Trump.

In the words of NFL team owner (and previous Trump supporter) Robert Kraft, "Our players are intelligent, thoughtful and care deeply about our community and I support their right to peacefully affect social change and raise awareness in a manner that they feel is most impactful."

In contrast, NASCAR owners made clear that such protests had no place in their sport.

When NASCAR team owner Richard Childress was asked, "What he would do if one of his employees protested during the anthem," he replied, "Get you a ride on a Greyhound bus when the national anthem is over. I told them anyone who works for me should respect the country we live in. So many people gave their lives for it. This is America."

Name Calling and Division
Earlier in the week, the president had referred to NFL players who knelt in protest during the national anthem as SOBs who should be fired. He also uninvited the NBA’s Golden State Warriors to the White House. In response, LeBron James called President Trump a “bum.”

Is there a right and wrong in all this? How do we sort things out?

Kevin Durant commended the NFL players for bringing a unified and unifying message. He wrote: "I think our NFL players are doing a great job of sending a great message, and we stand behind them as athletes, and we support them as well."

In contrast, conservative Joel Pollack wrote:

President Donald Trump called out former 49ers quarterback Colin Kapernick and other NFL players on Friday for protesting the national anthem, expressing what millions of football fans have already registered by tuning out.

But NFL officialdom, Hollywood, the mainstream media, and left-wingers in all quarters have distorted what he said, to the point where entire teams felt obligated to protest — something.

How, then, do we sort things out? Is there really a right side and a wrong side?

Seeking Clarity For Both Sides
Here are 6 points to consider (with the hope of bringing some clarity and with the risk of getting everyone mad at me):

1) The American flag is associated with sacrifices made for our national freedom, and it represents the best of our nation. Therefore, protesting during the national anthem should be avoided since it is perceived as unpatriotic.

It would have been better if Colin Kaepernick had found a better way to express his concerns about alleged social injustice.

It’s true that he launched a national movement of sorts. But his actions (and those of others in past weeks) drew more attention to the man than to the message. He brought more division than awareness.

2) If we want to celebrate America's greatness, we can't ignore America's faults.

I agree with those who blame President Obama's identity politics for much of the racial division in our country today. But I also agree with those who say that there are systemic problems in our justice system, with rich and poor not being treated equally. (And in many cases, blacks and white not receiving equal treatment.)

We can stand for patriotism and justice together. Don't they go hand in hand? Don't they support and complement each other?

3) The debate about the protests is not a debate about race.

It's true that most NFL players are black and that most of Trump's Alabama crowd was white. And it's true that most of the Golden State Warriors, who are not going to the White House, are black. And most of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins, who are going to the White House, are white.

But the ultimate issues here are not black and white issues, unless we want to claim that no blacks are patriotic or that no whites care about social justice. To make this into a race debate is to play into the hands of the race baiters.

4) Incendiary rhetoric begets more incendiary rhetoric.

Speaking to a conservative crowd in Alabama, President Trump knew he was on solid ground when he ripped into protesting NFL players, calling them "sons of b—-s" who should be fired.

To paraphrase, How dare these spoiled brats despise the blood that was shed for their freedom!

In the end, what everyone desires is the same: to be treated with dignity and respect.

But as president, his role is not only to appeal to his base. He must also rally the nation around important causes. Comments like this have the opposite effect.

And when America's Commander in Chief derides others in such terms, he only stokes the fires of division. He opens the door to outrageous comments like LeBron's "bum" remark.

Can you imagine what the liberal response would have been if a famous white athlete had called President Obama a bum? Conversely, can you imagine what the conservative response would have been if President Obama had referred to MLB’s Albert Pujols and Tony LaRussa as "SOB's" for attending a Glenn Beck rally in DC?

5) Most Americans want sports to be sports.

It’s likely that ratings will continue to drop as games continue to be politicized and Americans feel our flag is being disrespected. Must everything be politicized?

Why can't athletes entertain their loyal fans while finding ways to raise awareness of important causes outside the playing field? They have instant media audiences. With their large followings, they could recruit rather than alienate.

6) Once again, this is about President Trump.

No political figure in memory has been able to drive the news like Donald Trump drives the news, shifting our attention from North Korea to the NFL in the blink of an eye. He even sets the parameters for debate and discussion, virtually setting up the talking points for both sides in advance.

What was a fairly minor issue in the NFL (in terms of numbers of players protesting) became a massive issue overnight. Now several hundred players are involved in making a statement one way or another. The response even trickled into a Major League Baseball game.

As one professional athlete commented to me in private, the protest on Sunday was a response to the president's attack more than it was a statement about social justice issues.

Mr. Trump now has a fresh set of enemies. And unfortunately, the race card is being played against him.

Silver Lining
But there's a silver lining to all this. If our president recognizes the sacred trust he’s been given — he has been elected to lead the entire nation — he can use his marketing genius to unite, rather than divide.

Let's pray that he'll find a way to tweet constructively rather than destructively. (I know that’s a tall order, but that's why we pray!) Let's pray that those who oppose him would take the olive branch and put their own weapons down.

I honestly believe that those standing for patriotism and those taking a knee for justice are seeking the same thing: an America that is truly great. In the end, what everyone desires is the same: to be treated with dignity and respect.

If each of us acted that way today, treating with dignity and respect even those we differ with, we could start a movement of our own. Shall we?

Source: https://stream.org/make-battle-president-trump-nfl/

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by sleekyskillz(m): 12:44pm On Sep 26, 2017
#BLACKLIFEMATTERS

Donald trump is a white supremacist and a jackass... Stephen curry and the golden state warriors declined an invite to the white house becoz of this white trash

E sweet me when Lebron called him a 'bum'

4 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Goshen360(m): 5:45pm On Sep 26, 2017
You know when you have am immature man or a child as the POTUS, the results are visible such as war or battle against those he preside over and this our brother, the OP doesn't see anything wrong in POTUS calling mother or women #SoaBitch#

We know you #BlackRepublican and the #OkieDoke....but hey, we're not falling for the OkieDoke...with y'all conscience and stupidity that you spread around.

3 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 26, 2017
I was a commissioned officer in the Marine Corps, and a veteran with an honorable discharge. The price paid by veterans was to ensure my right to gripe about the government, sit if I want to when the national anthem is played, or, as sometimes happens, tear up when I see the flag or hear the anthem. The idea that a pledge is compulsory and unthinking is something I associate with the Third Reich.
Lane Wharton Raleigh NC

Trump has always been an ignoramus. Now he is an ignoramus and a dotard. The symbol of America's decline.

5 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Lucasbalo(m): 1:57am On Sep 27, 2017
The OP is a demagogue and a Nazi sympathizer.
Goshen360:
You know when you have am immature man or a child as the POTUS, the results are visible such as war or battle against those he preside over and this our brother, the OP doesn't see anything wrong in POTUS calling mother or women #SoaBitch#

We know you #BlackRepublican and the #OkieDoke....but hey, we're not falling for the OkieDoke...with y'all conscience and stupidity that you spread around.

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by arantess: 11:03am On Sep 27, 2017
Is this really about trump? Its been around since obama

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Goshen360(m): 4:11pm On Sep 27, 2017
Lucasbalo:

You sure right. I have debate him so long in the religious section and got him to stand still. But, I'm chilling right now. He, the OP doesn't even know this POTUS had committed many impeach able acts that he keeps promoting this racist and white supremacist in the white house.

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Goshen360(m): 4:24pm On Sep 27, 2017
Mindfulness:
I was a commissioned officer in the Marine Corps, and a veteran with an honorable discharge. The price paid by veterans was to ensure my right to gripe about the government, sit if I want to when the national anthem is played, or, as sometimes happens, tear up when I see the flag or hear the anthem. The idea that a pledge is compulsory and unthinking is something I associate with the Third Reich.
Lane Wharton Raleigh NC

Trump has always been an ignoramus. Now he is an ignoramus and a dotard. The symbol of America's decline.

The whole point from history is, the NFL denied him a multi billion dollars deal years back wanting to buy a certain team but hey, guess what now he's using his office to fight back at them. It is an impeachment act to use the public office to interfere in private business not to talk of call the NFL and their mothers #son of a bittch....

This POTUS is gonna twitt this country to war. He had twitted more about 16 times or more than he twitted about Puerto Rico in the horricane.

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Lucasbalo(m): 5:51pm On Sep 27, 2017
Goshen360:

You sure right. I have debate him so long in the religious section and got him to stand still. But, I'm chilling right now. He, the OP doesn't even know this POTUS had committed many impeach able acts that he keeps promoting this racist and white supremacist in the white house.
The OP is not only a demagogue , he's a Godless charlatan. He always quote Nazi loving racist blogs and personalities to buttress his hatred. There's a special place for the OP in hell. As for tramp, Russiagate will haunt him out of that exalted office.

1 Like

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 27, 2017
Goshen360:

The whole point from history is, the NFL denied him a multi billion dollars deal years back wanting to buy a certain team but hey, guess what now he's using his office to fight back at them. It is an impeachment act to use the public office to interfere in private business not to talk of call the NFL and their mothers #son of a bittch....

This POTUS is gonna twitt this country to war. He had twitted more about 16 times or more than he twitted about Puerto Rico in the horricane.

Dotard!

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:46pm On Sep 27, 2017
sleekyskillz:

#BLACKLIFEMATTERS

Donald trump is a white supremacist and a jackass... Stephen curry and the golden state warriors declined an invite to the white house becoz of this white trash

E sweet me when Lebron called him a 'bum'

Does black life really matter? undecided

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:14pm On Sep 27, 2017
Goshen360:

Trump would soon be coming for you unpatriotic citizens who refuse to leave the country you so despise. Be an hero and not a zero. cool

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Does black life really matter? undecided

Interpret the statistics for us genius.

What does the number 9.83 tell us? That 9.83 white people were killed by blacks? grin grin

And then tell us how many white people reside in the US and how many black people.

When i.diots quote statistics ...

4 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:19pm On Sep 27, 2017
Goshen360:

Yeah, 'impeachable acts' that gave him the following awards and ended up being winning the Presidential election. undecided

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:23pm On Sep 27, 2017
Mindfulness:

Interpret the statistics for us genius.

What does the number 9.83 tell us? That 9.83 white people were killed by blacks? grin grin

And then tell us how many white people reside in the US and how many black people.

When i.diots quote statistics ...

Don't worry about white killed by blacks, you should be worried by the number of blacks killed by blacks. shocked
Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Sep 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Don't worry about white killed by blacks, you should be worried by the number of blacks killed by blacks. shocked

Kindly interpret the numbers you provided.

You can't?

Thought so.

grin

3 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:28pm On Sep 27, 2017
Mindfulness:

Lane Wharton Raleigh NC

What have you done for your country compared to Trump if you really care? undecided

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:32pm On Sep 27, 2017
Mindfulness:

Kindly interpret the numbers you provided.

You can't?

Thought so.

grin

You must be a liberal if you do not get the message of that graph. cool

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

What have you done for your country compared to Trump if you really care? undecided

I will answer your question when you answer mine that is if you can read statistics which we both know you cannot. wink
You have not even adjusted the data for population which even an average high school student would know to do first thing first. cheesy

Loser.

3 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Since you are the genius, kindly interpret it for me. grin

3 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 27, 2017
And then this:

grin

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:40pm On Sep 27, 2017
Mindfulness:
And then this:

[img]https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54ecf211e 4b0ed744420c5b6/t/569534449cadb69b288bedee/1452618828280/2015policekillingsunarmed.jpeg[/img]

grin

Buzzed. cool

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Sep 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Buzzed. cool

Ok kiddo. Time for ou to faces your books now.

1 Like

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:43pm On Sep 27, 2017
Lucasbalo:

See the culprit leading the liberals in disrespecting the national anthem. cool

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by schwarzkopf(m): 7:46pm On Sep 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

You are a walking calamity and an excuse for a creation. Trump is a racist, brainless never do well simpleton. And he appeals to irrational evangelicals like you losers. When will be next pastor be accused of raping an under age boy like most of y'all hypocrite have always been caught in.

3 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by schwarzkopf(m): 7:47pm On Sep 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

See the culprit leading the liberals in disrespecting the national anthem. cool

There are numerous photo of Trump not putting his hands on his chest during the anthem. Also video where he was nudged by melania during an anthem. So f***k off with your lunacy.

3 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:48pm On Sep 27, 2017
arantess:

Is this really about trump? Its been around since obama

It is not really about Trump but for the destruction of America from within. Apart from Obama see what else is motivating Colin Kaepernick in the picture below. cool

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:51pm On Sep 27, 2017
schwarzkopf:

You are a walking calamity and an excuse for a creation. Trump is a racist, brainless never do well simpleton. And he appeals to irrational evangelicals like you losers. When will be next pastor be accused of raping an under age boy like most of y'all hypocrite have always been caught in.

Don't let your emotions get the better of you. Use your head as see how his actions speak louder than words.

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by schwarzkopf(m): 7:52pm On Sep 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

It is not really about Trump but for the destruction of America from within. Apart from Obama see what else is motivating Colin Kaepernick in the picture below. cool

Stop spreading idiotic lies you irredeemable sob, Linda is a Palestinian right activities married with two kids and lives in New York. Colin and his girlfriend ain't gat no kids yet. Go spread your lies in your right wing brain diminishing assembly.

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by schwarzkopf(m): 7:53pm On Sep 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Don't let your emotions get the better of you. Use your head as see how his actions speak louder than words.

F***k off loser, take about emotion and head when you finally get one. You idiotic loser with the IQ of a toilet seat.

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 27, 2017
schwarzkopf:

F***k off loser, take about emotion and head when you finally get one. You idiotic loser with the IQ of a toilet seat.

He is one of the lunatics from the other thread. wink
Speak their language. Like this:

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Make Of The Battle Between President Trump And The NFL? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:00pm On Sep 27, 2017
Mindfulness:

Since you are the genius, kindly interpret it for me. grin

This is what I can interpret for you... cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Inside Haitian Jail Where Inmates Starve To Death, Defecate On Floor. / Referendums In Donbass, Zaporozhye And Kherson Regions Continue Amid Shelling / Germany: Afghan Refugee Vandalizes Church Cause He Can’t Accept Christianity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.