Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,243 members, 7,815,337 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians (2276 Views)

What I Noticed About Nigerians, The Truth / Nigerian Men And The Craze To Marry Foreigners / See Ten (10) Things To Check While Choosing A Husband In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 12:43pm On Sep 30, 2017
Most foreigners have misconceptions about Nigerians because they really do not understand how great we are. Being a Nigerian, I was curious about our general eccentricities and I decided to find out things foreigners find odd about us.

Some of the answers I got are overwhelming and pretty hilarious.

Here are 10 things people abroad find odd about Nigerians:

Cc lalasticlala
Mynd44
dominique

Pls help me move it to the right section

Feel free to add yours
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 12:45pm On Sep 30, 2017
1. Foreigners think Nigerians are noisy and loud.

Like seriously? I don’t believe Nigerians are loud and noisy; we are quiet and reserved people.

If we sound loud or speak in high pitched voices, it means we are either having fun or you just stepped on our toes.

Nevertheless, we love life and always want to have a good time.

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 12:48pm On Sep 30, 2017
2. Yikes! They cook with Red Oil!

Foreigners believe we cook most of our meals with red oil (Palm oil). I met Cheng in China Town, Ojota and he expressed how he felt about eating food made with red oil. He said, “even though it was dreadful for me the first time I ate Egusi soup made with palm oil, I will never forget the delicious taste and aroma; now I eat Naija soups like a Nigerian”.

If you haven’t tasted soups or moi moi made with palm oil, cooked beans made with palm oil, you are seriously missing. These meals are utterly delicious!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 12:49pm On Sep 30, 2017
3. They think Nigerian Languages sound weird

Nigerian languages are sweet and if you don’t understand it, you are missing. Many foreigners spend money to study our languages in Universities abroad. (You think say e easy?)

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 12:49pm On Sep 30, 2017
4. Bizarre Greeting Methods

People abroad think our greeting methods and habits are bizarre.

Our greeting methods are part of our culture and that is why we stick to it. Our greeting styles (Ladies kneel down while Men prostrate on the floor) are part of our heritage, a sign of respect, it is who we are and we are proud of it.

2 Likes

5. Interaction with elderly people is just too formal

Nigerians show the much older people respect by being formal with them. For instance: calling your friend’s parents as Mr and Mrs Lagbaja.

Nigerians are raised with the mentality to be formal and respectful to the elders.

With the blend of the western culture and our culture, this is not the case. Nowadays, the young generation show respect to elderly people based on their experience and affluence. They believe age is not equal to respect.

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 12:52pm On Sep 30, 2017
6. When a woman cooks for her husband everyday

Nigerian wives cook for their husbands not because it is compulsory or they are forced to do it. They cook for their husbands to show how much they love them and also because it is part of our culture and traditions.

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 12:52pm On Sep 30, 2017
7. Exchanging foods on special occasions

Exchanging foods with neighbours and friends on special occasion like Christmas or Ramadan serve as a token of our friendship, love and goodwill. I love this and I always look forward to it every year.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 30, 2017
grin

Lemme juz observed and i will comment when its done grin
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Psittacus(m): 12:54pm On Sep 30, 2017
We are unique set of people... here we are trying to be like the rest of them.
Even Jamie Vardy talk am "he loves how the Nigerian trio in Leicester yarn pidgin English, something he wants to learn "

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 12:55pm On Sep 30, 2017
8. Foreigners believe Nigerians are not polite and orderly

People abroad think Nigerians are not orderly because they jump queues or do not line up in an orderly fashion.

Why waste time on the queue when it is every man for himself. Sometimes, the last shall be the first and the first shall be the last Hehehe.

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 12:55pm On Sep 30, 2017
9. Nigerians take education too seriously

People abroad do not believe in studying till you die! That is why they find it odd when they see a Nigerian who has a PhD and is looking forward to study for Litt.D, DSc or LL.d.

We take education too seriously because we believe that it is the key to having a fulfilled life.

Though, things are changing – and Nigerians now believe that you can still work hard and be successful rather than studying for ages to become a successful person. However, education in Nigeria is important.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by thesicilian: 12:56pm On Sep 30, 2017
We are unique. No apology for that.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 12:57pm On Sep 30, 2017
10. Being a Nigerian is odd

Foreigners believe that everything about Nigerians is odd.

Hehe! We are odd and we like it that way! Makes me wonder why we have lots of expats in Nigeria.

Some who have visited Nigeria want to visit again and again, hoping that one day, maybe they might become like us. Ko joor!

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 30, 2017
let's be honest, Nigerian wives don't cook for their husbands everyday because "they love their husbands," they cook because that what the african culture requires

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by MhizzAJ(f): 1:14pm On Sep 30, 2017
I love that point 7
Thank God Christmas is just around the corner.

Nigerians shout a lot

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by shinarlaura(f): 1:14pm On Sep 30, 2017
Am not a foreigner but I think number one is somehow true. cheesy

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 30, 2017
Only for Nigerians wey no go school....
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Nobody: 1:27pm On Sep 30, 2017
attention007:
6. When a woman cooks for her husband everyday

Nigerian wives cook for their husbands not because it is compulsory or they are forced to do it. They cook for their husbands to show how much they love them and also because it is part of our culture and traditions.

Which means Most Nigerian Husbands don't exactly Love their women. If Cooking could be the Ultimate standard for Expressing 'Love' and Unconditional 'Affection'.. Shouldn't Husbands cook for their wives Everyday, too?

It won't Hurt if they Cooked for their wives too . On a regular basis.undecided Who Culture epp?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Divay22(f): 1:28pm On Sep 30, 2017
Number 1 is really on point

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Horlohlah: 1:30pm On Sep 30, 2017
Drinking garri with fish grin

Makydebbie grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by rawpadgin(m): 1:37pm On Sep 30, 2017
shinarlaura:
Am not a foreigner but I think number one is somehow true. cheesy
actually they are all true except no 10
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 30, 2017
many dully foreigners believe they re still in Nigeria not know that they re in biafra country tongue tongue tongue
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by shinarlaura(f): 2:26pm On Sep 30, 2017
rawpadgin:
actually they are all true except no 10

grin grin grin
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by legendary4luv(m): 2:37pm On Sep 30, 2017
interesting
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 2:50pm On Sep 30, 2017
Sholaqe:
let's be honest, Nigerian wives don't cook for their husbands everyday because "they love their husbands," they cook because that what the african culture requires

true talk
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Safiaa(f): 2:52pm On Sep 30, 2017
When you put egusi soup in the ice cream container and store it in the fridge.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Maxi112: 3:26pm On Sep 30, 2017
Sholaqe:
You're right, I just have to agree with you!
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by attention007(m): 6:38pm On Sep 30, 2017
Mynd44 lalasticlala
carry help carry to the permanent site
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by makydebbie(f): 7:01pm On Sep 30, 2017
Horlohlah:
Drinking garri with fish grin

Makydebbie grin
grin grin
Babe I'm home. cool
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Dotwillis1(m): 7:11pm On Sep 30, 2017
Nigerians finds same thing odd about the foreigners as well..

They are also guilty of most of the points stated..

..... You can't even be sure of what other people find odd or their Lifestyle over there. It's only a figment of your thoughts

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Odd About Nigerians by Horlohlah: 7:30pm On Sep 30, 2017
makydebbie:
grin grin
Babe I'm home. cool
Thank God.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Screen Shot Credited To Airforce1 Really Got Me Angry / Man Shares A Selfie Of His Friend Having Sex With A White Lady / UBUNJA's MISEDUCATION: post removed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.