Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,232 members, 7,811,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

Atheism By Definition Is Problematic - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism By Definition Is Problematic (7117 Views)

By Definition, Jesus Is Actually A Bastard With Unknown Root. / A Prayerless Wife Is Problematic Says Mike Bamiloye / Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 11:04am On Oct 03, 2017
They are two types of atheist... Moral and scientists atheist....

Moral Atheism- objections to the existence of God when relating to moral issues i.e., gay rights, women's rights, abortion and all things therein related to the problem of evil

Scientific Atheism- objections to God when relating to scientific evidence.

My argument is base on one one point with several sub points.

1. One cannot be both a moral and scientific atheist.

This is because:

A. Moral Atheism doesn't actually exist.

Moral atheists like to cast blame on God for evil in the world. "Why would a loving and just God allow evil into the world?" This question supposes that God does exist. Atheism is the denial of God's existence. Moral Atheism is therefore contradictory.

A1. The moral atheist cannot define evil

Moral Atheism supposes that morality is subjective, yet often condemns people with a different set of moral codes. In order to blame God for evil, there must be a consensus on what is defined as evil yet the moral atheist cannot adequately define evil because he cannot support his definition with an original point.

B. Scientific Atheism contradicts moral atheism

This point is far more simple. Simply put, how can you cast blame for evil on something you claim doesn't exist?

Conclusion: atheism, be it a blend of moral and scientific atheism, or either individually, is far more irrational than a belief in God..

Note..

Any atheist accepting the challenge may refute every claim..

Any argument made by my opponent claiming religion is problematic, will be considered a strawman and thus ignored.

Insult and (i know it all )argument will be ignored....

3 Likes

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 12:10pm On Oct 03, 2017
Agentofallah, I will still reply to your hypothesis.... Ok...
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by TheCarpenter(m): 1:08pm On Oct 03, 2017
@op
There is nothing like types of atheist.
You're either an atheist or not an atheist.
Abeg, dont comman stir up personal controversy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by Niflheim(m): 1:10pm On Oct 03, 2017
@op,

1."They are two types of atheist"...........................................Jeezus!!! There are 2 types of atheists? Do you know what they call a "FALLACY OF A FALSE DILEMMA"? undecided undecided undecided

Have you ever heard of an "Igtheist"(Theological non-cognitivism)?...................................Objections based on the lack of a proper definition of what a god is supposed to be!!! Hindus say that their gods are not eternal, and will die out after 31 billion years, others say that their god is a river, others say it is wind, others say it is a cow!!! Lack of objectivity which points to high usage of hallucinatory mushrooms!!!

2."Moral atheists like to cast blame on God for evil in the world."...................................................The person you are describing in this line is not even an Atheist!!! This is the same mistake that was made by the foolish C.S. Lewis who claimed that he was an Atheist who was angry with god!!! That is rubbish!!! If he was angry with god, then he was "a theist"(a believer)!!! The stupid movie called Atheist Delusion made the same error, by describing atheists as people who are angry with god!!! Why do christians love repeating the same errors? I wonder why?

3."The moral atheist cannot define evil"....................................................You mean the moral theist? The one who thinks he is an atheist, right?

4.SUMMARY: THE OP DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF THE WORD "ATHEIST"!!!

BONUS: IT IS A SIN, TO ATTEMPT TO START AN ARGUMENT BASED ON "FALSE PREMISES"!!! grin grin grin grin grin

The link:.............................................https://www.alternet.org/belief/6-types-atheists-and-non-believers-america

Link 2:.................................................http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=6487

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 1:20pm On Oct 03, 2017
TheCarpenter:
@op

There is nothing like types of atheist.

You're either an atheist or not an atheist.

Abeg, dont comman stir up personal controversy
atheist is from the root greek word atheus ...meaning without god....for you to be balance in your opinion... It is either you base your believe on faith approach that god or gods do not exist on how religious portray it or how their scripture define it. ... Or because you are scientific incline ...which says the evidence most be emperical or measurable..

Whatever method you follow to reach the stage.... You will contradict yourself.. Ask me why?

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 1:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
If I ignore you...it is because you are not following the instruction.. And not because you are making sense.....
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 1:50pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:

They are two types of atheist... Moral and scientists atheist....

Moral atheists like to cast blame on God for evil in the world. "Why would a loving and just God allow evil into the world?" This question supposes that God does exist. Atheism is the denial of God's existence. Moral Atheism is therefore contradictory.
I don't know how this makes any sense to you! Questioning why a loving god would allow evil to exist in the world is a natural response to the claim that a loving, all powerful god exists who hates evil. Of course the question presupposes the existence of god, but that's an artefact of the claim itself, not a supposition by the questioner.
I could tell you there is a vampire sucking your blood right now, at 1 litre/min, and you will be apt to express your scepticism of that claim by asking: "why don't I feel dizzy, then?" Of course your question presupposes there's a vampire sucking your blood, but only because my claim suggests as much. It wouldn't make sense to say your question is blaming the vampire for not sucking your blood properly.

A1. The moral atheist cannot define evil

Moral Atheism supposes that morality is subjective, yet often condemns people with a different set of moral codes. In order to blame God for evil, there must be a consensus on what is defined as evil yet the moral atheist cannot adequately define evil because he cannot support his definition with an original point.
No atheist blames any god for evil. The questions about morality are an invitation to the proponents of a moral, all powerful god's existence, to consider the implications of their propositions. Such questions often use the definition of evil adopted by the proponent.

B. Scientific Atheism contradicts moral atheism

This point is far more simple. Simply put, how can you cast blame for evil on something you claim doesn't exist?
Exactly!!! How??

Conclusion: atheism, be it a blend of moral and scientific atheism, or either individually, is far more irrational than a belief in God..

Note..

Conclusion:
- Your categorisation of atheism into scientific and moral strands is arbitrary and bizarre (I'm still confused)
- Atheists don't ask questions in isolation. Such questions are often the inexorable responses to propositions that a god with extraordinary attributes exists. It seems disingenuous to then claim that asking such questions implies that the skeptic means to blame the entity whose existence is in question.
- You claim scientific atheism contradicts moral atheism, but give no justification for this claim; and then conclude that atheism is an irrational position. It is not clear how you believe you've made any sense here.

To be honest, I don't understand your argument at all. It's all over the place, and very incoherent. Please refine what you are trying to accomplish, then we can properly discuss.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 1:54pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

I don't know how this makes any sense to you! Questioning why a loving god would allow evil to exist in the world is a natural response to the claim that a loving, all powerful god exists who hates evil. Of course the question presupposes the existence of god, but that's an artefact of the claim itself, not an assumption by the questioner.
I could tell you there is a vampire sucking your blood right now, at 1 litre/min, and you will be apt to express your scepticism of that claim by asking: "why don't I feel dizzy, then?" Of course your question presupposes there's a vampire sucking your blood, but only because my claim suggests as much. It wouldn't make sense to say your question is blaming the vampire for not sucking your blood properly.

No atheist blames any god for evil. The questions about morality are an invitation to the proponents of a moral, all powerful god's existence, to consider the implications of their propositions. Such questions often use the definition of evil adopted by the proponent.

Exactly!!! How??

Conclusion:
- Your categorisation of atheism into scientific and moral strands is arbitrary and bizarre (I'm still confused)
- Atheists don't ask questions in isolation. Such questions are often the inexorable responses to propositions that a god with extraordinary attributes exists. It seems disingenuous to then claim that asking such questions implies that the skeptic means to blame the entity whose existence is in question.
- You claim scientific atheism contradicts moral atheism, but give no justification for this claim; and then conclude that atheism is an irrational position. It is not clear how you believe you've made any sense here.

To be honest, I don't understand your argument at all. It's all over the place, and very incoherent. Please refine what you are trying to accomplish, then we can properly discuss.
simple, before we go further....
Why do you believe there is no God....pls in a simple statement.....
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by chemystery: 1:58pm On Oct 03, 2017
You are wrong. There are over a million types of atheist....

Those that were once Christians, those that were once Muslims, those that were atheists from birth, those that don't engage in arguments, those that are introverts, those that are extroverts, those that supports APC, those that supports PDP, those that are Chelsea fans, those that are Liverpool fans, those that are tribalistic, those that aren't, those that divorce their wives and those that doesn't...

So continue from there.

After listing all the types, then I can come in and comment

10 Likes

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 2:00pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
simple, before we go further....
Why do you believe there is no God....pls in a simple statement.....
I assume that by "god", you mean an all powerful creator of everything? If this is what you mean, then it is not true that I believe there is no god, I just don't see a need to believe there is one.

If you have a different definition of god, then we can have a discussion about whether I believe in its existence or not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:01pm On Oct 03, 2017
chemystery:
You are wrong. There are over a million types of atheist....

Those that were once Christians, those that were once Muslims, those that were atheists from birth, those that don't engage in arguments, those that are introverts, those that are extroverts, those that supports APC, those that supports PDP, those that are Chelsea fans, those that are Liverpool fans, those that are tribalistic, those that aren't, those that divorce their wives and those that doesn't...

So continue from there.

After listing all the types, then I can come in and comment

those types of atheist fall into moral atheism....those who reject God because of their former faith doctrine and religious perspective..
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:03pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

I assume that by "god", you mean an all powerful creator of everything? If this is what you mean, then it is not true that I believe there is no god, I just don't see a need to believe there is one.

If you have a different definition of god, then we can have a discussion about whether I believe in its existence or not.
this is contradiction..... You believe there is god and still don't see a need to belive in one...am not getting you...
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by chemystery: 2:03pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
those types of atheist fall into moral atheism....those who reject God because of their former faith doctrine and religious perspective..
You mean like the types that supports APC?
Better list all the types before we continue this journey
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:07pm On Oct 03, 2017
chemystery:
You mean like the types that supports APC?
Better list all the types before we continue this journey
I am talking of dogma here.... You are telling me about political stuffs....what my op did was to divide the set of dogmatisms of atheism

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 2:10pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
this is contradiction..... You believe there is god and still don't see a need to belive in one...am not getting you...
I don't believe there is a god! This is quite different than to believe there is no god! Ever heard the aphorism: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:12pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Ever heard the aphorism: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence?
sure...is that the logic you follow?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 2:13pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
sure...is that the logic you follow?
Yep
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by chemystery: 2:16pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
I am talking of dogma here.... You are telling me about political stuffs....what my op did was to divide the set of dogmatisms of atheism
There is no dogmatism in atheism. Everyone with their own perspective about life.

It is like saying Christians who engage in abortion are subscribing the dogmatic part of Christianity that supports abortion when actually there is none. You don't hence use the way of life of those individuals to categorize christianity or create a new Christian sect. Like Abortionic Christians

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:19pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Yep
if that is the case.....you do not fall under atheism dogmatism... You belive in god(evidence of faith) , you do not see the need to belive in one( skeptic) therefore you are labelled a skeptic agnostic ....any way why do you think there is no need...you answer here may change your labellings again?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

I don't believe there is a god! This is quite different than to believe there is no god! Ever heard the aphorism: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence?

Sorry but this is a contradiction.

If you do not believe there is a god it simply means you disbelieve a god exists and this in itself translates to you believe there is no god.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2017
@vaxx,

What of an atheists who is simply an atheist... Someone who doesn't believe that any god(s) exists.

Do you have any questions for an atheists?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:22pm On Oct 03, 2017
chemystery:

There is no dogmatism in atheism. Everyone with their own perspective about life.

It is like saying Christians who engage in abortion are subscribing the dogmatic part of Christianity that supports abortion when actually there is none. You don't hence use the way of life of those individuals to categorize christianity or create a new Christian sect. Like Abortionic Christians
your Defination still fall under moral atheism...which categories every aspect of life as subjective... Pls read my op again for a better refuttal
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 2:23pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

You believe that their could be an all powerful creator of everything yet see no need to believe there is one. You are simply irreligious. You need something to hold on to but can find none. You seek validation but have none.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
@vaxx,

What of an atheists who is simply an atheist... Someone who doesn't believe that any god(s) exists.

Do you have any questions for an atheists?
the questions why are you an atheist...or why do you reject God existence
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by chemystery: 2:25pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
your Defination still fall under moral atheism...which categories every aspect of life as subjective... Pls read my op again for a better refuttal
There is nothing like categorizing here. In morality, it is either you are good or bad whether you are an atheist, christian, Muslim, etc. So?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by chemystery: 2:27pm On Oct 03, 2017
Vaxx, atheism is simply the disbelief in any god. Any other thing you are saying or categorizing is simply based on assumption on other people's personal lifestyle that has NOTHING to do with atheism!

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:30pm On Oct 03, 2017
chemystery:

There is nothing like categorizing here. In morality, it is either you are good or bad whether you are an atheist, christian, Muslim, etc. So?

what my op is doing is simply giving the real definition of atheism....and yours is subjective.... Which simply contradict scientist atheist....how can bad be measure ,is it testable?so there is nothing like moral atheist which you claim you are? According to science definition.... There is nothing like bad or good

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:31pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
the questions why are you an atheist...or why do you reject God existence
I haven't rejected any God(s). I do not believe that any of the God(s) worshipped by religious folks exists as there is no reason to believe otherwise.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:33pm On Oct 03, 2017
chemystery:
Vaxx, atheism is simply the disbelief in any god. Any other thing you are saying or categorizing is simply based on assumption on other people's personal lifestyle that has NOTHING to do with atheism!
atheism is from the root word of Greek...meaning atheus ....without God....

My categorization is very logical...unless you can refute it
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 2:35pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
I haven't rejected any God(s). I do not believe that any of the God(s) worshipped by religious folks exists as there is no reason to believe otherwise.
why do you belive there is no reasons to belive otherwise?... You can't escape the definition if you are an atheist...
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by butterflyl1on: 2:36pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:

You talk about the religious gods and not believing those ones. If this God or gods was not the kind subscribed to by religion would you Still disbelieve it's existence?
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:41pm On Oct 03, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You talk about the religious gods and not believing those ones. If this God or gods was not the kind subscribed to by religion would you Still disbelieve it's existence?
If I can see this God or gods, we wouldn't be talking about believe, would we?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Let Us Make Man In Our Image, How Many Were They (god) / Was Man Originally Created To Live & Die Or Live Forever? / Should A Sinner Go For Evangelism ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.