Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,409 members, 7,826,581 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Atheism By Definition Is Problematic - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism By Definition Is Problematic (7172 Views)

By Definition, Jesus Is Actually A Bastard With Unknown Root. / A Prayerless Wife Is Problematic Says Mike Bamiloye / Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by segunojo866: 4:55pm On Oct 03, 2017
boringnigerian:

@ bolded, if we go by this premise, then almost all of us are atheists on some level because we believe that the gods other people worship are either false or don't exist.
leave that guy alone grin
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by hopefulLandlord: 4:59pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
every word as is own root.... The foundation of the word atheism is what I made mention....if you have a doubt of the existence of God then the foundation of the word doesn't apply to you ........the word pagan was used to discribe villager during roman empire.. Christian adopt it to also call whoever do not belive in abrahimic faith a pagan.... Which i reject to be labelled becyse it does not describe my faith. so for the word to be correct we should look at the very foundation.... In Yoruba language we do not call the European white...we call them oyinbo meaning a skin that has been peel..likewise the word negro refers to people with burn face....

For you to agree on the labelling...check out the root word...

You're committing a fallacy called Etymological Fallacy The etymological fallacy is a genetic fallacy that holds that the present-day meaning of a word or phrase should necessarily be similar to its historical meaning

but there are various examples of words today that meant something slightly different originally and some that actually contradicts its original meaning

The word hound originally simply meant "dog" in general. This usage is now archaic or poetic only, and hound now almost exclusively refers to dogs bred for hunting in particular.

The meaning of a word may change to connote higher status, as when knight , originally "servant" like German Knecht , came to mean "military knight" and subsequently "someone of high rank".

Conversely, the word knave originally meant "boy" (as the equivalent German Knabe ) and only gradually acquired its meaning of "person of low, despicable character".

The word "Awful" originally meant "Awe-inspring" and "Full of awe" but now means something bad

The word "Moody" originally meant "Courageous" but now means something totally different

The word "Bully" actually originated from Dutch word "Boele" which actually means "Lover"

The word lady derives from Old English hlæf-dige ("loaf-digger; kneader of bread" ), and lord from hlafweard ("loaf-ward; ensurer, provider of bread" ). No connection with bread is retained in the current meaning of either word.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by johnydon22(m): 5:12pm On Oct 03, 2017
JackBizzle:
We should compile the most stupid threads on the relifion section and vote for the worst in december for the end of the year party.

Cc hahn, hopefullandlord, johnydon22......

I think the new trend here is, open any silly thread based on false premises and inaccurate assumptions about subjects you know nothing of, then base your arguments on the premise of this false assumption plus a personally conceived silly definition.

then base your question on these false premise, assumption and definition.

And expect people to answer your idiocy, expect people to answer your own misconceptions, lack of proper information, jumper assumptions and personal false premises taken as truth.

It can only frustrate the shit out of you if you try to indulge especially for someone like the OP who seem to have some form of cognitive impairment, Just read the conversation with AgentOfAllah on this thread, my patience doesn't run that deep.

So what i do most of the time is just ignore silly threads.

The very OP doesn't even make any sense, he curls out two types of atheism straight out of his ass then expect you to come answer his own silly misconceptions and false premises.

damn!!! i cannot come and kill myself.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 5:14pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
every word as is own root.... The foundation of the word atheism is what I made mention....if you have a doubt of the existence of God then the foundation of the word doesn't apply to you ........the word pagan was used to discribe villager during roman empire.. Christian adopt it to also call whoever do not belive in abrahimic faith a pagan.... Which i reject to be labelled becyse it does not describe my faith. so for the word to be correct we should look at the very foundation.... In Yoruba language we do not call the European white...we call them oyinbo meaning a skin that has been peel..likewise the word negro refers to people with burn face....

For you to agree on the labelling...check out the root word...
Vaxx, as I've demonstrated above, you can pick issues with many a standard word in the English language. Many linguists do, in fact, but such debates are conceptually pedantic, because changing the word doesn't change what it describes. I may decide to start calling you a brown man, which would be technically more accurate, but it won't help anybody understand what I mean. In fact, people may believe I'm referring to an Indian subcontinental, so I would have succeeded in confusing people even though I was technically correct. So, to convey the meaning I want, I choose the words I feel most suitably describe it. This is why I've rejected your attempt to redefine what I am. I know you don't like being called pagan, so I call you a traditional diviner.
I prefer to be seen as the thing the word atheist presently describes, so let it be so, thank you!

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 5:18pm On Oct 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

You're committing a fallacy called Etymological Fallacy The etymological fallacy is a genetic fallacy that holds that the present-day meaning of a word or phrase should necessarily be similar to its historical meaning

but there are various examples of words today that meant something slightly different originally and some that actually contradicts its original meaning

The word hound originally simply meant "dog" in general. This usage is now archaic or poetic only, and hound now almost exclusively refers to dogs bred for hunting in particular.

The meaning of a word may change to connote higher status, as when knight , originally "servant" like German Knecht , came to mean "military knight" and subsequently "someone of high rank".

Conversely, the word knave originally meant "boy" (as the equivalent German Knabe ) and only gradually acquired its meaning of "person of low, despicable character".

The word "Awful" originally meant "Awe-inspring" and "Full of awe" but now means something bad

The word "Moody" originally meant "Courageous" but now means something totally different

The word lady derives from Old English hlæf-dige ("loaf-digger; kneader of bread" ), and lord from hlafweard ("loaf-ward; ensurer, provider of bread" ). No connection with bread is retained in the current meaning of either word.

Vaxx, very carefully, read this entry again.

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 5:19pm On Oct 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you are repeating the same statement with angentof Allah...what you are saying is evolution of words..... which I subscribed to.....

This is my understanding.... Every word has foundation...am only pointing out to the root word of atheism ....which was borrowed from the greek word atheus....so whatever grammer that must be use in replacement of this said word must honor the original statement .. It must not deflect from the meaning....the phonology may change but the grammatical meaning should be the same...

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 5:21pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Vaxx, very carefully, read this entry again.
I just reply it
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 5:23pm On Oct 03, 2017
johnydon22:

I think the new trend here is, open any silly thread based on false premises and inaccurate assumptions about subjects you know nothing of, then base your arguments on the premise of this false assumption plus a personally conceived silly definition.

And expect people to answer your idiocy, expect people to answer your own misconceptions, lack of proper information, jumper assumptions and personal false premises taken as truth.

It can only frustrate the shit out of you if you try to indulge especially for someone like the OP who seem to have some form of cognitive impairment, Just read the conversation with AgentOfAllah on this thread, my patience doesn't run that deep.

The very OP doesn't even make any sense, he curls out two types of atheism straight out of his ass then expect you to come answer his own silly misconceptions and false premises.

thanks for your comment...it is well appreciated....
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by hopefulLandlord: 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
you are repeating the same statement with angentof Allah...what you are saying is evolution of words..... which I subscribed to.....

This is my understanding.... Every word has foundation...am only pointing out to the root word of atheism ....which was borrowed from the greek word atheus....so whatever grammer that must be use in replacement of this said word must honor the original statement .. It must not deflect from the meaning....the phonology may change but the grammatical meaning should be the same...

@ bolded

Kindly read my post again and see some words that now mean opposite of what it originally meant
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by hopefulLandlord: 5:30pm On Oct 03, 2017
edited
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by AgentOfAllah: 5:30pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
I just reply it

If that's your reply, you apparently don't understand it. Read it again!

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 5:45pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
I love philosophy.... Philo Sophia love of wisdom...........I will be glad to have a toast of it......so tell me how you conclude a religion dogma isn't accurate
Philosophical engagement marked the beginning of learning, and reasoning without bias, prejudice or dogmas. Before the advent of philosophy, religious claims and answers were considered conclusive and best explanation. But the quest to know more about our cosmos without relying on religious beliefs marked the beginning of philosophy and science consequently emerged being the most reliable aspects of reality we can claim to know...

Nevertheless, reasoning (logical reasoning) was employed in presenting speculations and hypothesis which became an acceptable method for knowing more about the universe... However, speculative answers as to the origin of the universe was the major engagement of early philosophers like Aristotle, Plato, etc. Scientific studies, which is an observable and verifiable aspect of our reality was developed into what we have it today - a product of phillosiphy... not religion; as religious claims are considered conclusive and "divine."

People who aren't properly educated about the origin of learning as we have it today, fall victim of holding unto dogmatic(illogical claims) posits which were first neglected for the philosophical enterprice that has yielded more understanding of this universe.

Learning and studying different disciplines was a necessity for us to grasp, to the best of our knowledge, what this existence is about.

But somehow people still manage to fixate religious beliefs into gaps in our knowledge so far - forgetting where we were and how far we've come so far since the first philosophers of our employed sound reasoning, not dogmas, in the quest to understanding the universe. Also, we forget to rely on our best and universally accepted truths... The scientific truths... For unraveling what it is we are yet to know.

I still don't get how a religious person would claim to know anything about logic in a public forum like this... Religion never allowed independent thinking... Religious doctrines and cultural wisdom are not the same. Rather, it only contains fallacies and dogmas.

Thanks to philosophy, men now know the world is spherical and not flat.. We know the sun isn't Ra or Vishnu... We know the earth is older than what a Jewish book written by illiterates says it is... We know that the earth or man isn't the centre of creation... We know that a woman cannot conceive without male sperms introduced to her womb somehow... We know that thunder strike isn't from the hammer of Thor or mouth of Sango... We know that the rains are not tears of the gods...

But my friend... here we are arguing about something we wish for and not something we know.

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 5:47pm On Oct 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

@ bolded

Kindly read my post again and see some words that now mean opposite of what it originally meant
I read it...but it still does not disagree with the current meaning... And this is my stand... What happens there is evolution of words..honds is still recognized as a domestic dog and may also be used to describe a hunting dog..today ...the only difference is application of grammar...

When you check a meaning of a word in dictionary.... The first meaning of such a word is the most correct....though it may have more than one meaning...

Formerly... The word beautiful is for both female and male and now it is restricted to female only.....in drama and poetry.... Some authors still prefer using the word beautiful for male...it does not change the original meaning

Get my point...

Every word has a foundation

Every current word that took its root from the original must honour it...

Word don't change...phonetics and application may change...as we see from the example you gave...

Atheism is a borrow grammar from the Greek word and therefore it is not excempted... ...
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by hopefulLandlord: 5:49pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
I read it...but it still does not disagree with the current meaning... And this is my stand... What happens there is evolution of words..honds is still recognized as a domestic dog and may also be used to describe a hunting dog..today ...the only difference is application of grammar...

When you check a meaning of a word in dictionary.... The first meaning of such a word is the must correct....though it may have more than one meaning...

Formerly... The word beautiful is for both female and male and now it is restricted to female only.....in drama and poetry.... Some authors still prefer using the word beautiful for male...it does not change the original meaning

Get my point...

Every word has a foundation

Every current word that took its root from the original must honour it...

Word don't change...phonetics and application may change...as we see from the example you gave...

Atheism is a borrow grammar from the Greek word and therefore it is not excempted... ...

Aarrrggghh!!!!!!!! okay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 5:50pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

If that's your reply, you apparently don't understand it. Read it again!
better still read my post.. I just reply him again
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 5:51pm On Oct 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Aarrrggghh!!!!!!!! okay
alright.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 5:55pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Vaxx, as I've demonstrated above, you can pick issues with many a standard word in the English language. Many linguists do, in fact, but such debates are conceptually pedantic, because changing the word doesn't change what it describes. I may decide to start calling you a brown man, which would be technically more accurate, but it won't help anybody understand what I mean. In fact, people may believe I'm referring to an Indian subcontinental, so I would have succeeded in confusing people even though I was technically correct. So, to convey the meaning I want, I choose the words I feel most suitably describe it. This is why I've rejected your attempt to redefine what I am. I know you don't like being called pagan, so I call you a traditional diviner.
I prefer to be seen as the thing the word atheist presently describes, so let it be so, thank you!
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 5:57pm On Oct 03, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

you are welcome..

I taught we are learning right and not base on opinion... And if you feel like you cool am ok..
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 6:02pm On Oct 03, 2017
Vaxx
Please get books on philosophy, read them with the intent to learn about the history of learning or knowledge.

The argument for the existence of God is supposed to be a philosophical engagement, and not a contest between atheists and theists...

This is something you and felixomor need to understand.

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 6:07pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Philosophical engagement marked the beginning of learning, and reasoning without bias, prejudice or dogmas. Before the advent of philosophy, religious claims and answers were considered conclusive and best explanation. But the quest to know more about our cosmos without relying on religious beliefs marked the beginning of philosophy and science consequently emerged being the most reliable aspects of reality we can claim to know...

Nevertheless, reasoning (logical reasoning) was employed in presenting speculations and hypothesis which became an acceptable method for knowing more about the universe... However, speculative answers as to the origin of the universe was the major engagement of early philosophers like Aristotle, Plato, etc. Scientific studies, which is an observable and verifiable aspect of our reality was developed into what we have it today - a product of phillosiphy... not religion; as religious claims are considered conclusive and "divine."

People who aren't properly educated about the origin of learning as we have it today, fall victim of holding unto dogmatic(illogical claims) posits which were first neglected for the philosophical enterprice that has yielded more understanding of this universe.

Learning and studying different disciplines was a necessity for us to grasp, to the best of our knowledge, what this existence is about.

But somehow people still manage to fixate religious beliefs into gaps in our knowledge so far - forgetting where we were and how far we've come so far since the first philosophers of our employed sound reasoning, not dogmas, in the quest to understanding the universe. Also, we forget to rely on our best and universally accepted truths... The scientific truths... For unraveling what it is we are yet to know.

I still don't get how a religious person would claim to know anything about logic in a public forum like this... Religion never allowed independent thinking... Religious doctrines and cultural wisdom are not the same. Rather, it only contains fallacies and dogmas.

Thanks to philosophy, men now know the world is spherical and not flat.. We know the sun isn't Ra or Vishnu... We know the earth is older than what a Jewish book written by illiterates says it is... We know that the earth or man isn't the centre of creation... We know that a woman cannot conceive without male sperms introduced to her womb somehow... We know that thunder strike isn't from the hammer of Thor or mouth of Sango... We know that the rains are not tears of the gods...

But my friend... here we are arguing about something we wish for and not something we know.

I understand your stand....what am letting you know here is different from what you have put up....my stands is atheism as a defination is problematic....

And you have made mention of philosophy....philosophy was formerly part of science...it is called natural philosophy it branch off as the discipline grows....they are major common method use in philosophy and science today....it is called taught experiment and observation....if your concept fall within that aspect....it is called scientist atheists and which contradict moral atheist....pls try and get my op first......

we can have a good philosophical debate next time ....I value your patience and mental stability...

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 6:12pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Vaxx
Please get books on philosophy, read them with the intent to learn about the history of learning or knowledge.

The argument for the existence of God is supposed to be a philosophical engagement, and not a contest between atheists and theists...

This is something you and felixomor need to understand.
I am not debating on the existence of God here...the op says atheism as a definition is problematic....you do not see the reason why this thread is open....I am challenging the meaning of atheism not existence of God

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 6:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
boringnigerian:

@ bolded, if we go by this premise, then almost all of us are atheists on some level because we believe that the gods other people worship are either false or don't exist.
this is not true....whatever god a believer believe isnt important here...at least there is belive in higher authority... Either original or fake..... The belive exist....
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 6:33pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
If I can see this God or gods, we wouldn't be talking about believe, would we?
this is not the purpose of the debate...the purpose is to challenge the word atheism..

For you to belive in God is one and for you not to belive is another is subjective......focus on the purpose of the thread.... You can check the op and correct what you think are flaws argument

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 6:40pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
I am not debating on the existence of God here...the op says atheism as a definition is problematic....you do not see the reason why this thread is open....I am challenging the meaning of atheism not existence of God
There is no problem with the definition of atheism, there are only reasons for lack of belief in God(s), in other words, being an atheist.
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 6:43pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
There is no problem with the definition of atheism, there are only reasons for lack of belief in God(s), in other words, being an atheist.
and the questions goes.... Why do you lack the believe ...you gave a philosophical veiw which I liken to science and therefore you are a scientists atheist... And that contradict moral atheist
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:20pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
and the questions goes.... Why do you lack the believe ...you gave a philosophical veiw which I liken to science and therefore you are a scientists atheist... And that contradict moral atheist
Its because I lack reasons to believe. Atheism doesn't contradict itself... Like I said before... I do not subscribe to religious claims because of the lack of proofs...

I can only argue to refute a theistic argument formed on the basis of moralist or teleological arguments

I fall under both categories you're trying very hard to distinguish. However, it doesn't change the meaning of atheism.

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by purem(m): 7:25pm On Oct 03, 2017
johnydon22:

Bro if I have never read ur post one

day on NL ehn

means I'd never

learn anything dat day

#My signature
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 7:26pm On Oct 03, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Its because I lack reasons to believe. Atheism doesn't contradict itself... Like I said before... I do not subscribe to religious claims because of the lack of proofs...

I can only argue to refute a theistic argument formed on the basis of moralist or teleological arguments

I fall under both categories you're trying very hard to distinguish. However, it doesn't change the meaning of atheism.
And that make you a moral atheist.... Pls study my op....I gave a defination for athesim base on the dogmatism...

.no.....bro....you are changing the wheel .....if you are both .....then it is irrational... Check my op...it is there
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by vaxx: 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2017
Purem...I saw it on non Christian chartbox....you are asking people to teach you how to defend yourself ,how to become an atheist? This is very strange....you can't defend your believe.... But the little time I have stay on nairaland made me know if you need mentor....meet agentofallah or hopefullandlord.....it is not for the purpose of bashing.... I also learn from them too
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by purem(m): 7:49pm On Oct 03, 2017
vaxx:
Purem...I saw it in non Christian chartbox....you are asking people to teach you how to defend yourself ,how to become an atheist? This is very strange....you can't defend your believe.... But the little time I have stay on nairaland made me know if you need mentor....meet agentofallah or hopefullland.....it is not for the purpose of bashing.... I also learn from them too

wink wink
Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by CatfishBilly: 10:52pm On Oct 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Aarrrggghh!!!!!!!! okay
Engaging vaxx is futile, trust me. Been there. Dude is impervious to anything that remotely looks like a correction to his erroneous beliefs.

1 Like

Re: Atheism By Definition Is Problematic by Deicide: 12:28am On Oct 04, 2017
The thread topic reads "Atheism By Definition Is Problematic" but it's funny how the op keeps using the etymology of the word Atheism to argue grin what is the point of this thread

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Many Don't Know Abt The Office Of A Prophet. / Intercontinental Bank Boss Erastus Akingbola's Life As Redeemed Church Pastor / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "I And The Father Are One" In John 10:30?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.