Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,182 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre (25558 Views)

Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage / Traditional Wedding Of Xerona Duke And Derin Phillips 'DJ Caise' (Photos) / Donald Duke And Wife Their Monster Bike At Calabar Bikers Carnival (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by nefertitiram: 5:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
Hummnn

My Asaba...

Asaba people were set up. They were in a very unfortunate position but who was the leader who suggested the One Nigeria procession, all dressed in white? The soldiers must have misunderstood this allegiance parade for a protest hence the attack.

When soldiers came to ransack the town on Oct 5, why didn't they flee? They now gathered on Oct 7. Who told you the soldiers understood it was a one nigeria procession? Who communicated this message to them? All the nigerian soldiers saw was people gathered, and obeyed the last command.

Why didn't the leaders find a way to dialogue with the commanders without involving the innocent people? Instead they marched out their people and made them vulnerable during a period of war. The soldiers came for blood and they fed them the blood (my heart bleeds as I type). Who gave the command to shoot? Their blood will follow the commander unto the fourth generation.

But nobody is talking about captain Matthias and other soldiers who helped the women and children flee. Nobody is celebrating them...

Like they say, all is fair in love and war. May their souls RIP. My Asaba... These scars will never heal

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Kowor(f): 5:35pm On Oct 06, 2017
suremanpatriot:

True talk! because okpanam is trekable from Asaba,they taught na Asaba extension. It was gruesome history ,just genocidal,we hav left it to almighty God.
Well, I was in okpanam recently,it stil grossly bushy ,underdevelopd and abandoned to it's own fate. Is unfair to mal treat them til date,because their pickin wey cause d matter don go since immemorial. Just private individuals building and doing things in beats.
Yes oo. I guess it's the biblical term "our fathers have seen and are no more and the children pay for the sins." It is well.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by ogbiwa: 5:44pm On Oct 06, 2017
Wait is this the same Ibrahim Taiwo that has the popular Ibrahim Taiwo road named after him in the capital city of Kwara state?
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Kowor(f): 5:50pm On Oct 06, 2017
nefertitiram:
Hummnn

My Asaba...

Asaba people were set up. They were in a very unfortunate position but who was the leader who suggested the One Nigeria procession, all dressed in white? The soldiers must have misunderstood this allegiance parade for a protest hence the attack.

When soldiers came to ransack the town on Oct 5, why didn't they flee? They now gathered on Oct 7. Who told you the soldiers understood it was a one nigeria procession? Who communicated this message to them? All the nigerian soldiers saw was people gathered, and obeyed the last command.

Why didn't the leaders find a way to dialogue with the commanders without involving the innocent people? Instead they marched out their people and made them vulnerable during a period of war. The soldiers came for blood and they fed them the blood (my heart bleeds as I type). Who gave the command to shoot? Their blood will follow the commander unto the fourth generation.

But nobody is talking about captain Matthias and other soldiers who helped the women and children flee. Nobody is celebrating them...

Like they say, all is fair in love and war. May their souls RIP. My Asaba... These scars will never heal
The scars can never heal. They were made to wear the traditional white attire and made to chant one Nigeria and were shot. Men, women and children. No mercy.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by naijaking1: 5:56pm On Oct 06, 2017
Now, this is a true story, not the Igbos did this and did that , that never stood the test of time and verication.
Blood our people shall never be in vain. We must never forget.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Mbediogu(m): 6:10pm On Oct 06, 2017
luvinhubby:
Horrific, and the perpetrators of this dastardly are being addressed as his excellency today without minding the fact that innocent blood of Asaba indigenes murdered 50yrs ago is crying for vengeance on their head.

Nigeria is country that needs total overhaul.

How do you overhaul a contraption with that level of mechanical and electrical problems? Better send to recycle plant. RIP to the innocent dead. Muritala and Taiwo who did it have been paid in their coins and their wives taken by other men while their families are scattered like dust of the earth.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Mbediogu(m): 6:15pm On Oct 06, 2017
[quote author=luvinhubby post=61144023]And the perpetrators has airports and streets named after them in Nigeria, with the portrait of one of them adorning our currency and you wonder why the value of our Naira keeps depreciating since
I need to poo on muritala s grave.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by juman(m): 6:18pm On Oct 06, 2017
Those military generals that killed millions of innocent people are the same individuals that stole the country dry and destroyed it.

One nigeria is bad.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by femolii: 6:22pm On Oct 06, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
Murtala Mohammed will continue to roast in hell.That cursed murderer will receive tenfold his rewards in hell
aShut up murtala was sent to war by FG and that is y this country should move far away from war u should also know that mild west was the first region ojukwu attack n sack the governor killed people y people refuse to blame ojukwu.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by tartar9(m): 6:32pm On Oct 06, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
Murtala Mohammed will continue to roast in hell.That cursed murderer will receive tenfold his rewards in hell
Don't place a curse on your head.Murtala Muhammed had nothing to do with the murders.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by femolii: 6:56pm On Oct 06, 2017
EzeEbira:
Asaba my hometown
Give me on reason why I should not hate Yoruba's and Hausa/Fulani's.
The heartbreaking stories my father told me how they threw the dead bodies into the river niger,
It will never be well with the perpetrators in this life or next.
Am in tears right now
Continue with ur hate till u enter ur grave like ur brothers and sisters Nsogwu killed nigeria great politicians like cow is from ur that ur asaba FG still make it capital of delta state at the end nsogwu died like cow too, asaba easterners cause first blood n they paid for it with their blood.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by madridsta007(m): 8:09pm On Oct 06, 2017
nefertitiram:
Hummnn

My Asaba...

This was simply genocide. Have some humanity and stop trying to justify a genocide.

If you have read the accounts of the massacre some of your questions would be needless. Like a survivor who spoke at the colloquium today said, “we did not run away because we were not the enemy... if we regarded Nigeria as an enemy why would we remain to wait for them?”

This was simply genocide on unarmed civilians.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by leofab(f): 8:09pm On Oct 06, 2017
It shall never be well with your generation for trying to justify this Evil act...
nefertitiram:
Hummnn

My Asaba...

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by madridsta007(m): 8:14pm On Oct 06, 2017
ogbiwa:
Wait is this the same Ibrahim Taiwo that has the popular Ibrahim Taiwo road named after him in the capital city of Kwara state?

Yes. He’s the one.
A road named after a genocidist.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by mysteryman2014: 8:20pm On Oct 06, 2017
There can only true healing in Asaba if on behalf of the federal troop that committed these atrocities on unarmed civilians, the federal government offer unreserved apologies to the indegenes Asaba
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by ogbiwa: 8:24pm On Oct 06, 2017
madridsta007:

Yes. He’s the one. A road named after a genocidist.
Seeriously shaking my head in utter disappointment bro

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by TheKingdom: 8:27pm On Oct 06, 2017
LOL, it was traumatizing indeed because till date, Igbo in this area dont know that they are Igbo, and tomorrow will be killed again.

The Fulani herdsmen are still killing them as of recent.

And OKOWA says there is not IPOB in his state LOL

ONE NIGGER AREA because we reason and think like NIGGERS
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Bykz(m): 8:46pm On Oct 06, 2017
intruxive:

Same to ojukwu who blindly led an entire tribe to almost extinction, thank God for the "zoo" that kept some leftovers in the south east. But maybe the zoo will burn and the animals, sorry pple in the east will finally go extinct cry
Unless the zoo keepers (buratai the python) acts on time grin

I Pity you.... Don't wanna say that you are a disgrace to The womb that bore you.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by noble0(m): 8:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
"In Asaba, I can say to BishopTutu, I have found Forgiveness... But I can also ask: where is restitution?" Wole Soyinka

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by noble0(m): 8:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
"The reverend told us not to run, that we are not the ones they were looking for." Dr.Getrude Okogwu reminisces. #AsabaMassacreat50

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by intruxive(m): 10:40pm On Oct 06, 2017
Bykz:

I Pity you.... Don't wanna say that you are a disgrace to The womb that bore you.
I believe u are referring to ur father that failed in bringing u up properly, maybe he should have gone with the 1967 to 70 saga to avoid this mistake called YOU
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by madridsta007(m): 11:00pm On Oct 06, 2017
ogbiwa:

Seeriously shaking my head in utter disappointment bro

Part of the revisionist process employed after a genocide has occurred. Read Gregory H Stanton’s “8 stages of Genocide”. The perpetrators always attempt to whitewash history and present a revisionist account. Murtala Mohammed was put on the N20 note. Children born after the massacre will see him as a noteworthy Nigerian leader, and not the genocidist brute that he is.

Asaba Massacre was a war crime and the murderers, war criminals. Let’s hope the survivors find some closure. But never, ever forget. Vigilance and rememberance is the price one pays for freedom.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by cstr1000: 11:20pm On Oct 06, 2017
femolii:
Continue with ur hate till u enter ur grave like ur brothers and sisters Nsogwu killed nigeria great politicians like cow is from ur that ur asaba FG still make it capital of delta state at the end nsogwu died like cow too, asaba easterners cause first blood n they paid for it with their blood.
And what offense did Yorubas do when MKO and his wife were slaughtered in cold blood/
savage.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by nefertitiram: 2:12am On Oct 07, 2017
leofab:
It shall never be well with your generation for trying to justify this Evil act...

That is why you and your generation are failures. You cannot read. Go back and learn how to read, then re-read my post. Anumpam, anu ofia, onye bereibe.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by nefertitiram: 2:21am On Oct 07, 2017
madridsta007:

This was simply genocide. Have some humanity and stop trying to justify a genocide.

If you have read the accounts of the massacre some of your questions would be needless. Like a survivor who spoke at the colloquium today said, “we did not run away because we were not the enemy... if we regarded Nigeria as an enemy why would we remain to wait for them?”

This was simply genocide on unarmed civilians.

Till today, Asaba is classified to be Biafran, the people claim they are not IBO, they are Anioma, the IBO's say Asaba is not IBO, and look down on them. The rest of Nigeria say Asaba is Delta IBO and call them Ibo, The people do not like it. That is the unfortunate position the city is in.

Mind you, I live in Asaba

Nevertheless, I am not justifying the genocide. I am saying the people were set up and put in the line of fire. Because I don't understand why anyone will ask people to come out to do a procession just after soldiers have ransacked the town and killed people. The onus laid on the leaders to meet with the soldiers and pass across the message of peace. They should have protected their people and initiated a curfew, and not make the entire town come out en masse. That was a wrong move!

They should have said, everyone. Sit at home, we will discuss with the soldiers. Send emissaries and seek audience with the commanders.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Nobody: 2:37am On Oct 07, 2017
seunmohmoh:
mocking d living who are living like d dead grin
don't worry karma will tell.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by okenta2017: 5:00am On Oct 07, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

His generation will never be forgiven Amen
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by okenta2017: 5:10am On Oct 07, 2017
Episteme2:
This is chilling. The worst of it all being that there was no media coverage. The Federal authorities tried as much as possible to suppress the news but people fleeing Asaba spread the word, and the killings of large numbers of people of Igbo ethnicity substantiated Biafran claims that the war was one of genocide. Researches have equally shown that the killings in Asaba were unprovoked.
The Asaba killings raise issues that go beyond the tragedy of one community. The war has left a bitter legacy; many today argue that the violence and ethnic hatred endemic in contemporary Nigeria are partly attributable to an institutionalised unwillingness to come to terms with it. And till date, the endemic hatred still breathes even more healthily.

Inspire of this the Fulani herdsmen has the gods to roam the villages of delta state. As long as it did not affect us we don't care. That has

always been our attitude in Nigeria.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by okenta2017: 6:49am On Oct 07, 2017
yanshDoctor:
i feel like crying. that's is a war crime. obj also play a role. the war was motivated by hatred and the igbo elite greediness.

Young man you need to sit with people who fought in the war they will tell you the whole story without aldultrating it

Just be careful with Hausa/Fulani people they are heartless and very cunny. You cannot please them don't just try. Aguiyi Ironsi try to

apease them after the 1st coup, (by surrounding himself with them and Gowon did not allow information about the pending 2nd coup get

to him,) they took advantage of it and slaugthered.him. We have our reasons

for saying one Nigeria because we that took active part in it. knows the hausa/Fulani you are dealing with are not

humans that have conscience like every other normal person, .by supporting the agitator will amount to suscide on your part. Have you

ever seen any where in the world that the nations army will roll out tanks. Figther jet and artilary gun to confront armless civilians. The

Hausa/Fulani are scared to death when it comes to Igbo people. they were lucky they did not try the 1st October shit. Have they

forgotten thim a beinghe last one they did, the respond was swift. Nobody has monopoly of violence. You will be seeing new romance

with People of him a beingCRS and hausa/fulani government , CRS will be wondering how come we out of the SE/SS, the reason is

cameroun have collected their reward (bakasi) for not allowing arms and foods come through their border during the civil war. If you

want anything from Buhari the time is now. Just assure him that arms will not come through CRS. The time to have the port build is now.

Just promise him you will never allowing arms to come through that axis. .
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by seunmohmoh(f): 11:19am On Oct 07, 2017
EzeEbira:

don't worry karma will tell.
ok o
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by madridsta007(m): 1:37pm On Oct 07, 2017
nefertitiram:

Till today, Asaba is classified to be Biafran, the people claim they are not IBO, they are Anioma, the IBO's say Asaba is not IBO, and look down on them. The rest of Nigeria say Asaba is Delta IBO and call them Ibo, The people do not like it. That is the unfortunate position the city is in.

Mind you, I live in Asaba

Nevertheless, I am not justifying the genocide. I am saying the people were set up and put in the line of fire. Because I don't understand why anyone will ask people to come out to do a procession just after soldiers have ransacked the town and killed people. The onus laid on the leaders to meet with the soldiers and pass across the message of peace. They should have protected their people and initiated a curfew, and not make the entire town come out en masse. That was a wrong move!

They should have said, everyone. Sit at home, we will discuss with the soldiers. Send emissaries and seek audience with the commanders.

I’ve read extensively on the Asaba genocide; there are texts by Emma Okocha and the journals by anthropologists Prof S Elizabeth Bird and Prof Ottanelli— who visited survivors—indicate that emissaries were sent with money to the soldiers first. Four were sent and never returned. Another four were sent and never returned. The elders now decided to do a peace dance and the Nigerian army massacred them. The dancers were all in white, male, female, old and young with the old and elders in front. Women and children below 12 were separated and the massacre started.

This is simply genocide and please, there should be no rationalisation at all for genocide. None.

Of course, Asaba is Igbo. The denial of their Igbo heritage is a funny one; they speak Igbo, bear Igbo names and, with Onitsha, were the earliest Igbo town. Unfortunately, with the war and it’s impact came denialism from certain Igbo-centric towns. It doesn’t matter, in my opinion. Nigerians regard them as Igbo and if, God forbid, they were caught up in another violent situation, Nigerians will treat them as Igbos— for good or for bad.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by GreyLaw(m): 2:31pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ahmedhussain3463:
dnt worri na nnamdi kanu name we go put for #20 wen we remove murtala picture

Don't be a kid!

What's NK's part in the topic of discussion? Have you ever seen me supporting him on NL. You people just leave the topic and start beating the air.

Face the topic of the discussion like an adult.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rumble In APC As Governors, Senators Clash Over 2019 Polls / President Buhari Blames Gaddafi For Herdsmen Crisis / 2023: Atiku Rejected Jonathan's Plea In 2015, Refused To Support Him - Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.