Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,509 members, 7,954,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:45 PM

Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre (25805 Views)

Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage / Traditional Wedding Of Xerona Duke And Derin Phillips 'DJ Caise' (Photos) / Donald Duke And Wife Their Monster Bike At Calabar Bikers Carnival (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by diadem10: 1:17pm On Oct 06, 2017
menwongo:

You posted two pictures, I complain about the first one but said nothing with the second one. But your empty head didn't recognize that. We are talking of Asaba massacre of young and defenceless boys and men who were dancing to one Nigeria and you lack human sympathy to reason.
Mine you am not Igbo, am Ibibio. But I have human sympathy especially to those who were innocent but massacred.

Sympathy shouldn't erode the plain truth which is Asaba folks were complicit in the attack on the Midwestern. They only came out to dance one Nigeria after biafra armies fled with the armies on their tail. They smuggled in their biafra brothers in the first place.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by menwongo(m): 1:18pm On Oct 06, 2017
diadem10:

The Asaba folks were dreaming when they smuggled their SE folks into the Mid western region? They were dreaming when their son, Okonkwo was forced on the mid western folks while the previous governor was dehumanised and attacked? They were sleeping when Bini and Etsako women were raped while their men were attacked and looted?
[quote author=diadem10 post=61160734]

Lol but to me those were communal fighting. I believe the Asaba folks migrated from SE...if they have issues like wars with their neighboring village they will call their brothers to help them as they did.
Most states and villages experience that.

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by diadem10: 1:25pm On Oct 06, 2017
menwongo:

Lol but to me those were communal fighting. I
believe the Asaba folks migrated from SE...if
they have issues like wars with their
neighboring village they will call their brothers
to help them as they did.
Most states and villages experience that.

Nope.

Not a communal fight. The midwestern region was quite peaceful and was a neutral ground during the civil war until Asaba brethren smuggled in their biafra brothers to attack the midwestern folks and foist their son on them. Funny enough, the Oba of Bini had been wary of the Asaba folks prior to the civil war. He had wanted them to join their brothers over the bridge because he had feared they would betray them which they did.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by gidgiddy: 1:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
And yet, Murtala Mohemned who commited this evil act is h9nored on the N20 note.

Thats why I like Dimka for sending Murtala Mohammed and Col Taiwo to the great beyond for all their sins

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by decasey(m): 1:35pm On Oct 06, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
Murtala Mohammed will continue to roast in hell.That cursed murderer will receive tenfold his rewards in hell
amen
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Nobody: 1:45pm On Oct 06, 2017
seunmohmoh:
mtchew
Are you mocking the dead or what?
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by rabzy: 1:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
diadem10:

Nope.

Not a communal fight. The midwestern region was quite peaceful and was a neutral ground during the civil war until Asaba brethren smuggled in their biafra brothers to attack the midwestern folks and foist their son on them. Funny enough, the Oba of Bini had been wary of the Asaba folks prior to the civil war. He had wanted them to join their brothers over the bridge because he had feared they would betray them which they did.

There is no justification for what the Nigerian Military did, you dont gather civilians and gun them down. I know the Biafran soldiers did similar things in Abudu, Benin and Calabar. My great-grandfather who was very old and had long white flowing beards was almost killed by Biafran soldiers who demanded that he should cut his beards to show he is not Hausa, this happened in Ukhun my mother's village very close to Ekpoma.
So i can imagine what happened to Etsako people who are predominantly muslims and have adopted much Islamic culture and also the large northern community there. It is also a fact that Murtala Mohammed is from Auchi by his father not mother, so hearing of such murders on a neutral Midwest might have caused so much consternation but it should have been directed towards the Biafran army.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by melzabull(f): 1:53pm On Oct 06, 2017
uhuogba:

His name was Marcus Kalu or something! I watched it and fell sick for days. I doubt he was a snitch, probably a Biafran Soldier that was caught at the wrong end of things. Do not despise him, he was saying all he could to save his life. At the face of death, even the most courageous can wobble. That is one of the most horrible clips I have ever watched. The Idiot that shot him was a fool, he was feeling himself and was even smoking cigar, I am sure he must be dead by now. There is no volume to contain atrocities that was committed between 1967-70 in this country in the name of One Nigeria and sincerely there is enough portions of blame to go round to all involved.
benjamin adekunle , the despicable yorober pig who died a miserable, destitute pauper was the animal that shot him

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by enigma2007(m): 2:11pm On Oct 06, 2017
intruxive:

Same to ojukwu who blindly led an entire tribe to almost extinction, thank God for the "zoo" that kept some leftovers in the south east. But maybe the zoo will burn and the animals, sorry pple in the east will finally go extinct cry
Unless the zoo keepers (buratai the python) acts on time grin

Senseless comment! There are rules of engagement to be followed in a given conflict or war. The soldiers did wrong by opening fire on civilians. Youths of nowadays sha... No sense of remorse or empathy..

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Nenejeje(f): 2:12pm On Oct 06, 2017
IfeanyiYagazie:
This has made angrier with dis country.

Dear Lord, see what dis country has done to my people in here, with a bitter heart and a mourning spirit i hereby lay a curse on dis country. it shall neva be well with it. **i** shall kiip struggling til jesus come. Amen!!

check out the 'i' and read what you wrote
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 06, 2017
noble0:
\\MyPlaceOfBirthAsaba\\WeRememberWeForgive\\
Remembering the past is not incitement. It is high time some people realized that healing is part of nation-building.

Healing can only start to come when the Perpetrators come forward.

All I www here is southern remneberance.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by UfuomaUN(m): 2:27pm On Oct 06, 2017
Arysexy:

I hope I'm discussing with a sound mind,

1st coup was planned by 5 majors led by Nzeogwu and a Yoruba man Ademulegun inclusive.

If it was Igbo coup as touted, how come Aguiyi Ironsi thwarted it in Lagos, and Ojukwu stopped it in East if they r in d know?

Let's even assume, it was Igbo planned coup, the counter coup revenged on Igbo officers right? How did d counter coup turn to progrom by d Hausa Fulani populace against Igbo civilians who were never military partakers in d first coup?

You talked about ojukwu declaration of Biafra to secede from Nigeria, but u jumped the several emissaries he sent to Gowon to stop d continuous killing of Igbo's in d north which fell on deaf ear, the tension led to Aburi peace talk which was celebrated after ojukwu and Gowon reached and SIGNED agreement which would douse d tension and bring peace, but Gowon got back to Lagos and was advised against what he signed. If you were in ojukwu shoe, what wil u do in d face of killing of ur people and d lip service to genuine reconciliation by Gowon?

So in ur truthful mind, declaring freedom for his ppl and asking them to come home to avoid further killing and bloodshed is declaration of war?

Who fired d first shot at Gakem?

You really think everyone on nairaland is reasonablegrin grin

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Reference(m): 2:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
Bad time to be a fan of Nigeria. Told you guys several times. Read your history. When we were shouting restructure, even those at the receiving end accused us of not being patriotic. So who are the enemies of Nigeria now....

Jonathan the best thing to happen to Nigeria when it did. Today the consciousness for a progressive, egalitarian society is greater than ever. The youth are now asking serious questions of their leaders, their society and their beliefs.

So we can all see that corruption is not the biggest problem Nigeria faces as they will have you believe in order to mask more serious and fundamental problems afflicting Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by diadem10: 2:29pm On Oct 06, 2017
rabzy:

There is no justification for what the Nigerian Military did, you dont gather civilians and gun them down. I know the Biafran soldiers did similar things in Abudu, Benin and Calabar. My great-grandfather who was very old and had long white flowing beards was almost killed by Biafran soldiers who demanded that he should cut his beards to show he is not Hausa, this happened in Ukhun my mother's village very close to Ekpoma.
So i can imagine what happened to Etsako people who are predominantly muslims and have adopted much Islamic culture and also the large northern community there. It is also a fact that Murtala Mohammed is from Auchi by his father not mother, so hearing of such murders on a neutral Midwest might have caused so much consternation but it should have been directed towards the Biafran army.

There's a reaction for every action. The best thing is to not trigger a reaction because you don't know how such person would react to your action regardless of how little your action is. A husband may kill his wife if he find her promiscuous while another may just look away.

This is what is at play here. I'm not justifying the atrocities committed by Nigeria army but I won't stop at bringing up the plain truth, not half truth so that everyone can see the two sides of the coin. Ibos in general loves playing the victim while omitting the atrocities committed by them. The Asaba folks smuggled in their biafra brethren to attack the midwestern non-ibos yet cried foul when the army meted out their anger upon them. That was after their biafran brothers fled to the SE and severed the Niger bridge which killed battalions of soldiers in the process! How did you think a furious no mercy soldier from Etsako would have acted? Attack the very person who brought in the ant infested wood!
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Guyman02: 2:33pm On Oct 06, 2017
diadem10:

Nope! It was the attack on the Midwestern, especially the Estako brethren by the Biafra that spurred Murtala into taking revenge. His mother is an Etsako woman. Asaba folks were culpable in this because they were the ones that smuggled in biafra armies into the midwest. Their son, okonkwo was even forced on the midwestern folks as their governor and much atrocities was committed by the biafra on the Bini and Etsako brethren because they were muslims. Their women were raped as well as their men attacked and killed yet you expected Murtala to watch like a fool while his mother's community was lay sieged?

Nonsense! You must have pulled this rabble from your anus trying to defend your Fulani brethren. FAIL!

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by diadem10: 2:34pm On Oct 06, 2017
Guyman02:

Nonsense! You must have pulled this rabble from your anus trying to defend your Fulani brethren. FAIL!

It was omoigui and Edo archives!

You can never change history no matter you revisionist try.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Olarababy(f): 2:34pm On Oct 06, 2017
uhuogba:

His name was Marcus Kalu or something! I watched it and fell sick for days. I doubt he was a snitch, probably a Biafran Soldier that was caught at the wrong end of things. Do not despise him, he was saying all he could to save his life. At the face of death, even the most courageous can wobble. That is one of the most horrible clips I have ever watched. The Idiot that shot him was a fool, he was feeling himself and was even smoking cigar, I am sure he must be dead by now. There is no volume to contain atrocities that was committed between 1967-70 in this country in the name of One Nigeria and sincerely there is enough portions of blame to go round to all involved.
hmm....where can i watch d clip
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 06, 2017
Nenejeje:

check out the 'i' and read what you wrote
Thanks ma'am.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by billyG(m): 2:40pm On Oct 06, 2017
This is painful!but does pple still gav their daughter IBB & Danjuma as wives,why after many yrs this is coming up?
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Chukazu: 2:42pm On Oct 06, 2017
Buhari won't like this
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 06, 2017
diadem10:

And he could be an Edo man whose families and community had been attacked by Biafra rag tag armies who were allowed into the midwestern region by the Asaba Ibo. Their son, Okonkwo was seven forced on the midwestern as the governor while Etsako and Bini folks were attacked and raped!

Hey bro. U're been economical wit the truth here ok lets assume what u'r sayin is true what did the etsako people do that made them to be attack when they'r numerous other tribes in the midwest bthat weren't attacked.? Or a
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 06, 2017
intruxive:

Same to ojukwu who blindly led an entire tribe to almost extinction, thank God for the "zoo" that kept some leftovers in the south east. But maybe the zoo will burn and the animals, sorry pple in the east will finally go extinct cry
Unless the zoo keepers (buratai the python) acts on time grin

U think dats funny ?
smh.
Tomorrow u'l be wonder4ng why Igbo hate you (Afonja) and you even makin it worse wit ur careless comments.
God, I wonder the type of humans am sharin a coun3 with.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by degamemaster(m): 3:20pm On Oct 06, 2017
unfortunately some people of igbo extraction are still sounding politically correct just to please the oppressors. Nigeria is a land of injustices and it's only when true repentance and retribution are made, perpetrators brought to book, nothing will ever work.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by goodnessndoki10(m): 3:38pm On Oct 06, 2017
Olarababy:

hmm....where can i watch d clip
that is y I don't tk Nigeria government serious. when she try to separate me from Igbo's politically just to milk my resources. n tag me as ibos during crisis. as a rivers man.I don't take both Nigeria n Biafra serious
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Ngozi123(f): 3:46pm On Oct 06, 2017
diadem10:

What's this one saying? Blame your ancestors for frolicking with the devils (your SE brethren) whom your ancestors smuggled into the Mid west region to kill and attack the Mid western folks while your ancestors, the Asaba Ibos were dancing around untouched. The Etsako brethren were massacred and raped by your biafra brothers and guess who's mother is an Etsako? Murtala's mother! Now, you know the saying "Don't find trouble, or else trouble will find you".

Sadly, the main perpetrators (SE Ibos) fled to their region while severing the bridge thus, leaving behind the accomplice, your ancestors for the army to massacre.

I can’t say that I’m surprised to see another Nigerian blame the victims instead of the perpetrators. No wonder you live in a country where thieves and criminals are heroes while the poor are punished just for being poor undecided.

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by rabzy: 4:19pm On Oct 06, 2017
IfeanyiYagazie:

Hey bro. U're been economical wit the truth here ok lets assume what u'r sayin is true what did the etsako people do that made them to be attack when they'r numerous other tribes in the midwest bthat weren't attacked.? Or a

History. Etsako used to be called kukuruku region. The sound of the cock was used to alert villagers during the slave trade to the invasion by northern slave drivers, the whole region was nearly overrun getting into northern ishan almost getting to Ekpoma. The Oba of Benin army eventually came and drove them back. In the meantime the Etsako region has embraced Islam and also imbibe some northern/islamic culture including names and many Hausas are settled there too. So the Biafran Army readily saw them as quasi or pseudo-northerners. Like I mentioned my maternal great-grandfather was nearly killed because he was a wizened old man with white flowing beards which to the Biafran Soldiers equates to Hausa especially since the my mothers village is in northern Ishan not far from Auchi.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by prevailer247(f): 4:20pm On Oct 06, 2017
noble0:
\\MyPlaceOfBirthAsaba\\WeRememberWeForgive\\
Remembering the past is not incitement. It is high time some people realized that healing is part of nation-building.
In this case its more like nuturing an open wound. Sad a lot of igbos are observing the status quo, nobody wants to die hence the statement "we love nigeria so much we want nigeria to remain united and indivisible" yet 99% of them would vote to seceed at any opportunity. S M H

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by seunmohmoh(f): 4:40pm On Oct 06, 2017
EzeEbira:

Are you mocking the dead or what?
mocking d living who are living like d dead grin
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by HomeOfMe(f): 4:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
I guess this is one of the reasons history studies is no longer taken in schools They don't want this generation to know what happened in the past. This is very sad truly.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by belloabdulrazaq(m): 4:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
Igbo people should be blame if there was no Biafra this would not happened
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by madridsta007(m): 5:22pm On Oct 06, 2017
Episteme2:
This is chilling. The worst of it all being that there was no media coverage. The Federal authorities tried as much as possible to suppress the news but people fleeing Asaba spread the word, and the killings of large numbers of people of Igbo ethnicity substantiated Biafran claims that the war was one of genocide. Researches have equally shown that the killings in Asaba were unprovoked.
The Asaba killings raise issues that go beyond the tragedy of one community. The war has left a bitter legacy; many today argue that the violence and ethnic hatred endemic in contemporary Nigeria are partly attributable to an institutionalised unwillingness to come to terms with it. And till date, the endemic hatred still breathes even more healthily.

The problem with suppressing stories of genocide is that it is a genocide enabler; the reasons why massacres of different proportion has still gone ahead in Nigeria, even at the end of the 1967-1970 genocide. When stories of genocide are properly historicised, it becomes easier to spot the genocidal flash-points and warning signals when they occur and hence, are nipped in the bud. Rwanda is a good example. Perpetrators were tried in special courts and the ICJ and history was taught (and is still taught) in schools. The country was intentionally integrated by Mr Kagame, hence the glowing statistics we see today about Rwanda. Today, it will be very hard for a genocide of any form to happen in Rwanda -basically everyone knows the warning signals.

In Nigeria, it is different. The stories are intentionally shut down and retelling of the stories is nearly criminalized. This is the reason why Nigeria continuously lies at the edge of another genocide, another massacre, the reason why, post-1967, there has been countless massacres.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

774,000 Jobs: Senate Committee & Keyamo Exchange Words (Video) / Bolanle: Discharge Me, I Have No Case To Answer – Policeman Tells Court / Rivers LG Crisis: Fubara Convenes Security Council Meeting, Briefs The Press

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.