Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,121 members, 7,953,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:47 PM

Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre (25796 Views)

Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage / Traditional Wedding Of Xerona Duke And Derin Phillips 'DJ Caise' (Photos) / Donald Duke And Wife Their Monster Bike At Calabar Bikers Carnival (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by gidgiddy: 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2017
nefertitiram:

Till today, Asaba is classified to be Biafran, the people claim they are not IBO, they are Anioma, the IBO's say Asaba is not IBO, and look down on them. The rest of Nigeria say Asaba is Delta IBO and call them Ibo, The people do not like it. That is the unfortunate position the city is in.

There is no tribe in Nigeria known as Anioma. Asaba people are 100% Igbos

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by leofab(f): 4:26pm On Oct 07, 2017
nefertitiram:

That is why you and your generation are failures. You cannot read. Go back and learn how to read, then re-read my post. Anumpam, anu ofia, onye bereibe.
you are less than a human so I won't quote you again
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Dedetwo(m): 4:31pm On Oct 07, 2017
I have tried to imagine what Asagba would have said if Biafra was actualized and Asaba becomes part of Biafra instead of Nigeria.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by nefertitiram: 5:20pm On Oct 07, 2017
madridsta007:

I’ve read extensively on the Asaba genocide; there are texts by Emma Okocha and the journals by anthropologists Prof S Elizabeth Bird and Prof Ottanelli— who visited survivors—indicate that emissaries were sent with money to the soldiers first. Four were sent and never returned. Another four were sent and never returned. The elders now decided to do a peace dance and the Nigerian army massacred them. The dancers were all in white, male, female, old and young with the old and elders in front. Women and children below 12 were separated and the massacre started.

This is simply genocide and please, there should be no rationalisation at all for genocide. None.

Of course, Asaba is Igbo. The denial of their Igbo heritage is a funny one; they speak Igbo, bear Igbo names and, with Onitsha, were the earliest Igbo town. Unfortunately, with the war and it’s impact came denialism from certain Igbo-centric towns. It doesn’t matter, in my opinion. Nigerians regard them as Igbo and if, God forbid, they were caught up in another violent situation, Nigerians will treat them as Igbos— for good or for bad.

This is the unfortunate position I'm talking about.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by nefertitiram: 5:20pm On Oct 07, 2017
leofab:
you are less than a human so I won't quote you again

I'm a demigod, argue with your mirror. Illiterate
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by nefertitiram: 5:21pm On Oct 07, 2017
gidgiddy:

There is no tribe in Nigeria known as Anioma. Asaba people are 100% Igbos

Na this one de cause argument. They will never agree
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by aycorporat(m): 7:29pm On Oct 07, 2017
Arysexy:

I hope I'm discussing with a sound mind,

1st coup was planned by 5 majors led by Nzeogwu and a Yoruba man Ademulegun inclusive.

If it was Igbo coup as touted, how come Aguiyi Ironsi thwarted it in Lagos, and Ojukwu stopped it in East if they r in d know?

Let's even assume, it was Igbo planned coup, the counter coup revenged on Igbo officers right? How did d counter coup turn to progrom by d Hausa Fulani populace against Igbo civilians who were never military partakers in d first coup?

You talked about ojukwu declaration of Biafra to secede from Nigeria, but u jumped the several emissaries he sent to Gowon to stop d continuous killing of Igbo's in d north which fell on deaf ear, the tension led to Aburi peace talk which was celebrated after ojukwu and Gowon reached and SIGNED agreement which would douse d tension and bring peace, but Gowon got back to Lagos and was advised against what he signed. If you were in ojukwu shoe, what wil u do in d face of killing of ur people and d lip service to genuine reconciliation by Gowon?

So in ur truthful mind, declaring freedom for his ppl and asking them to come home to avoid further killing and bloodshed is declaration of war?

Who fired d first shot at Gakem?
I know you wanted to say Adewale Ademoyega instead of Ademulegun as Ademulegun was murdered alongside his pregnant wife allegedly by one Tim Onwuategwu

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Arysexy(m): 7:40pm On Oct 07, 2017
aycorporat:

I know you wanted to say Adewale Ademoyega instead of Ademulegun as Ademulegun was murdered alongside his pregnant wife allegedly by one Tim Onwuategwu

Thanks for d correction, Ademoyega not Ademulegun
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Igboid: 9:24pm On Oct 07, 2017
nefertitiram:

Till today, Asaba is classified to be Biafran, the people claim they are not IBO, they are Anioma, the IBO's say Asaba is not IBO, and look down on them. The rest of Nigeria say Asaba is Delta IBO and call them Ibo, The people do not like it. That is the unfortunate position the city is in.

Mind you, I live in Asaba

Nevertheless, I am not justifying the genocide. I am saying the people were set up and put in the line of fire. Because I don't understand why anyone will ask people to come out to do a procession just after soldiers have ransacked the town and killed people. The onus laid on the leaders to meet with the soldiers and pass across the message of peace. They should have protected their people and initiated a curfew, and not make the entire town come out en masse. That was a wrong move!

They should have said, everyone. Sit at home, we will discuss with the soldiers. Send emissaries and seek audience with the commanders.

You brain must be touching. When did Asaba people tell you they are not Igbos, and when /how do Igbo look down on Asaba people?

Stop exposing your ignorance here. Pick up the book " blood on the Niger " by Emma Okocha and educate yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Positivepoint(m): 11:13pm On Oct 07, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
Murtala Mohammed will continue to roast in hell.That cursed murderer will receive tenfold his rewards in hell

Nzegwu, ojukwu, azikiwe and ironsi will roast in hell
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Positivepoint(m): 11:16pm On Oct 07, 2017
[quote author=luvinhubby post=61143461]Horrific, and the perpetrators of this dastardly are being addressed as his excellency today without minding the fact that innocent blood of Asaba indigenes murdered 50yrs ago is crying for vengeance on their head.

Nigeria is country that needs total overhaul.[/quote

He who starts trouble cannot dictate its dimensions that is why kanu & iPob needs to be careful
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Positivepoint(m): 11:26pm On Oct 07, 2017
The remembrance of asaba massacre should not be limited to the massacre its self but the root cause. The igbos didn't do a proper research on the implications of doing an ethnic coup to guarantee there dominance over other ethnic groups in the country especially when the country was new and was divided along ethnic identities with igbos dominant it the east the yoruba in te west and hausa in the north. When u r planning to start trouble choose your opponent wisely if not you will receive a TKO.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Positivepoint(m): 11:30pm On Oct 07, 2017
Episteme2:
This is chilling. The worst of it all being that there was no media coverage. The Federal authorities tried as much as possible to suppress the news but people fleeing Asaba spread the word, and the killings of large numbers of people of Igbo ethnicity substantiated Biafran claims that the war was one of genocide. Researches have equally shown that the killings in Asaba were unprovoked.
The Asaba killings raise issues that go beyond the tragedy of one community. The war has left a bitter legacy; many today argue that the violence and ethnic hatred endemic in contemporary Nigeria are partly attributable to an institutionalised unwillingness to come to terms with it. And till date, the endemic hatred still breathes even more healthily.

The igbos could 've escaped such faith had it been they did not carry out the ethnic coup.

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Positivepoint(m): 11:37pm On Oct 07, 2017
Donpresh95:
Despite the poor citizens had a peaceful demonstration to support one nizooria still they where killed. O God why did you put us under the care of Animals. What did we do to deserve this punishment. We believe in you and they don't, Please almighty papa save your remnants. Amen

You stage an ethic cleansing coup that is why and for the animal status I think u fit the definition because who killed an innocent person with his wife and children unarmed on his bed at night?
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Positivepoint(m): 11:40pm On Oct 07, 2017
Bede2u:

idiot this is stale. Ojukwu seceded from Nigeria because of pogroms going on in the north which the FG couldnt or didnt stop. And while he was targeting millitary formations and govt institutions in Nigeria, Nigerian millitary with the help of a shameless britain was targeting civilians in biafra who were defenceless

And what caused progoms in the north?
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Positivepoint(m): 11:49pm On Oct 07, 2017
Raziii:
I did a thead on NBC shutting down a show for talking about the Asaba Massacre and after reading over 4 pages of this post, I wish I didn't make it, because as usual it derailed off the point.

The Biafra civil war was regrettable. Both sides suffered regrettable casualties and let us all pray it doesn't happen again.

If you watched the platform, you'd realise something, the speakers were very convincing. One reason for that was because of their knowledge of the past. Alot of youth know nothing of this past but will argue about it with so much confidence. That's called IGNORANCE!

The killings that happened in Asaba on October 1967 shouldn't be equated with anything else. It shouldn't be used to throw cheap shot at Buhari, or continue your never ending backlash on the Igbos or Muslims. That's insane!

That massacre is barbaric. It was a pre meditated massacre. It was done for the fun of killing and not because they were retaliating or anything.

If you tell me we shouldn't discuss it because the nation is currently tensed, I can see sense in that but to say we shouldn't because its a war and there were casualties on both sides, you need to watch it, politics is eating deep into that thing that makes you HUMAN! This is not Ipob, this is not GEJ vs PMB, this is man's inhumanity to man, and no one, I repeat no one should try justifying that massacre.

That is why it always bad to start a war and in war shit happens hope the igbos 've learn from history I guess not but we will wait to see
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Positivepoint(m): 12:16am On Oct 08, 2017
[quote author=Arysexy post=61160478]

I hope I'm discussing with a sound mind,

1st coup was planned by 5 majors led by Nzeogwu and a Yoruba man Ademoyega inclusive.

If it was Igbo coup as touted, how come Aguiyi Ironsi thwarted it in Lagos, and Ojukwu stopped it in East if they r in d know?

Let's even assume, it was Igbo planned coup, the counter coup revenged on Igbo officers right? How did d counter coup turn to progrom by d Hausa Fulani populace against Igbo civilians who were never military partakers in d first coup?

You talked about ojukwu declaration of Biafra to secede from Nigeria, but u jumped the several emissaries he sent to Gowon to stop d continuous killing of Igbo's in d north which fell on deaf ear, the tension led to Aburi peace talk which was celebrated after ojukwu and Gowon reached and SIGNED agreement which would douse d tension and bring peace, but Gowon got back to Lagos and was advised against what he signed. If you were in ojukwu shoe, what wil u do in d face of killing of ur people and d lip service to genuine reconciliation by Gowon?

So in ur truthful mind, declaring freedom for his ppl and asking them to come home to avoid further killing and bloodshed is declaration of war?

Who fired d first shot

Bros we in the north are not fools. The coup was planned immediately after the elections that brought tafawa balewa to power, the igbos could not take it and thus they went ahead to use the leverage they think they had in the military to stage a coup. They advise azikiwe to go on an indefinite medical trip until after the coup, azikiwe refuse to come back even to celebrate official events. Ironsi assembled all members of parliament and force them to accept his authority with the threat from barrel of guns. Pls ans this question if the coup was not ethic in nature why kill regional governors when doing a coup against the center? Ironsi refused to prosecute the coup plotters and transferred all to the east most died fighting for biafra, declared a unitary government abolishing the regions planned to remove northern emirs and post igbos as traditional rulers in the north. What lead to the so called progoms was the arrogant display and celebration by igbos for the coup success. Making jokes and insult to northerners that they 've defeated us, produced a cartoons with nzegwo standing on Ahmadu bellow corpse, producing a music record etc.

When the counter coup occurred and it was a unexpected & a bitter experience to igbos then ojukwu who was part of the masterminds of the
Igbo coup choose to declare biafra. Funny enough it was azikiwe that convinced other region to include secession as treasonable offense in the constitution agreement because he was hoping to rule a wider country rather than his small poor enclave. When ojukwu declared biafra he was already guilty of treason and has automatically declared war.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Igboid: 12:21am On Oct 08, 2017
nefertitiram:

Ode.

You educate yourself. Mo.r.on, didn't u see the part where I wrote I live in Asaba. You know better than me that lives and communes with them. Carcass like you

mpama!

You live in Asaba? So?

Are you the only one who lives in Asaba? I have relatives in Asaba, and I had spent time in Asaba myself.

Do you know more about Asaba than the King of Asaba, the asagba of Asaba himself who considers himself a proud Igbo ? Or than Achuzia, a prominent Asaba son who had held posts in Ohanaeze Ndiigbo ?

https://www.nairaland.com/529305/asagba-asaba-proud-igbo-son
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Bede2u(m): 4:03am On Oct 08, 2017
Positivepoint:

And what caused progoms in the north?
pls educate me. Wat caused it
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Positivepoint(m): 7:58am On Oct 08, 2017
Bede2u:
pls educate me. Wat caused it

Ironsi refused to prosecute the coup plotters and transferred all to the east most died fighting for biafra, declared a unitary government abolishing the regions planned to remove northern emirs and post igbos as traditional rulers in the north. What lead to the so called progoms was the arrogant display and celebration by igbos for the coup success. Making jokes and insult to northerners that they 've defeated and killed northern leaders , they produced a cartoons with nzegwo standing on Ahmadu bellow corpse and also produced a music record etc.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Bede2u(m): 9:03am On Oct 08, 2017
Positivepoint:

Ironsi refused to prosecute the coup plotters and transferred all to the east most died fighting for biafra, declared a unitary government abolishing the regions planned to remove northern emirs and post igbos as traditional rulers in the north. What lead to the so called progoms was the arrogant display and celebration by igbos for the coup success. Making jokes and insult to northerners that they 've defeated and killed northern leaders , they produced a cartoons with nzegwo standing on Ahmadu bellow corpse and also produced a music record etc.
lol. You actually believe all u wrote up there?
Kaduna Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna were freed from prison by ojukwu.
Lol. Ironsi planned to remove northern emirs? This planning u speak of.... was it done with project planning techniques.
The cartoon u talk... was it aired on cartoon network? Was it directed by 'ndigbo' or maybe some of the market women who were killed in the north for something they knew nothing about?
You still have a record of the music?
My there you can believe that igbos came together and conspired to kill Ahmadu bello and therefore deserves to be wiped out of earth... u can believe wat ever... ur business
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Positivepoint(m): 9:08am On Oct 08, 2017
Bede2u:
lol. You actually believe all u wrote up there?
Kaduna Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna were freed from prison by ojukwu.
Lol. Ironsi planned to remove northern emirs? This planning u speak of.... was it done with project planning techniques.
The cartoon u talk... was it aired on cartoon network? Was it directed by 'ndigbo' or maybe some of the market women who were killed in the north for something they knew nothing about?
You still have a record of the music?
My there you can believe that igbos came together and conspired to kill Ahmadu bello and therefore deserves to be wiped out of earth... u can believe wat ever... ur business

Well yes I I believed every statement and its true we 've records to that and u can spin it around no matter how u try.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Maghan37: 9:44am On Oct 08, 2017
Well in war there is no substitute for victory for it is the Victor's who write history to favor themselves pretty sad tale. RIP to d dead(Innocent victims).
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Bede2u(m): 10:56am On Oct 08, 2017
Positivepoint:

Well yes I I believed every statement and its true we 've records to that and u can spin it around no matter how u try.
provide the records and I will believe
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by nefertitiram: 1:21pm On Oct 08, 2017
Igboid:

mpama!

You live in Asaba? So?

Are you the only one who lives in Asaba? I have relatives in Asaba, and I had spent time in Asaba myself.

Do you know more about Asaba than the King of Asaba, the asagba of Asaba himself who considers himself a proud Igbo ? Or than Achuzia, a prominent Asaba son who had held posts in Ohanaeze Ndiigbo ?

All this one na political statement. Ask the man on the street. Infact, ask your relatives in Asaba.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by OmoBendel24: 2:32pm On Oct 08, 2017
nefertitiram:

Ode.

You educate yourself. Mo.r.on, didn't u see the part where I wrote I live in Asaba. You know better than me that lives and communes with them. Carcass like you

shocked Lolz.... Nerf is vexing seriously today oh!
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by nefertitiram: 2:51pm On Oct 08, 2017
OmoBendel24:

shocked Lolz.... Nerf is vexing seriously today oh!

No mind these sick.os that have dyslexia. Reading upside down without comprehension. Then commenting without thinking. They should go and call an anioma man ibo, if they will not receive disclaimer.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by nefertitiram: 2:55pm On Oct 08, 2017
Igboid:

mpama!

You live in Asaba? So?

Mor.on since you thrive on links, see below

https://www.nairaland.com/2507315/anioma-asaba-people-not-igbo

https://www.nairaland.com/2601360/why-igbos-trying-hard-claim

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/anioma-not-part-of-biafra/

http://sunnewsonline.com/stop-dragging-us-into-biafra-anioma-people-of-delta-tell-agitators/

Next time before you quote me, get your facts straight
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Igboid: 3:16pm On Oct 08, 2017
nefertitiram:

Mor.on since you thrive on links, see below

https://www.nairaland.com/2507315/anioma-asaba-people-not-igbo

https://www.nairaland.com/2601360/why-igbos-trying-hard-claim

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/anioma-not-part-of-biafra/

http://sunnewsonline.com/stop-dragging-us-into-biafra-anioma-people-of-delta-tell-agitators/

Next time before you quote me, get your facts straight

You are not the brightest bulb in the Christmas tree, are you?

The Asagba is the custodian of Asaba history and culture , as the Obi, he identifies as ethnic Igbo and is a grand patron of Igbo apex socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndiigbo.
And you want me to leave his words and take the words of faceless people on internet? Are you okay at all?

We are talking about Asaba here and you are posting links on Anioma, a political entity that spans over Edo and Delta state.
You are obviously out of your depth here, it's obvious you are not well informed enough to engage in this type of conversation meaningfully.
Re: Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre by Igboid: 3:26pm On Oct 08, 2017
nefertitiram:

All this one na political statement. Ask the man on the street. Infact, ask your relatives in Asaba.

My relatives in Asaba identity as Igbo. Some of them insists they be called Delta Igbo, and not just Igbo. But they don't deny Igbo.
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

55 African Beauty Queens Storm Owerri. Trailed By Angry Reactions / APC Governors Consider Zoning Presidency To The North In 2023 / Portrait Of Buhari Dressed In Igbo Attire Presented To Him By Nigeria Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.