Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,772 members, 7,813,560 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan (19761 Views)

My Tenure Expires In June- Emefiele / Jonathan Blasts Osibanjo, Worry More About Your N5.8bn Indictment Than My Tenure / Ethnic Tensions : Please Tolerate Each Other - Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by kirajustice: 8:42pm On Oct 06, 2017
Former president, Goodluck Jonathan has revealed the steps he took to deal with Ethnic tensions during his time as president of Nigeria.

Jonathan said that he convened a National conference in 2014 to douse the rising ethnic tensions across the country.PoliticsNGR learned that He made this revelation while delivering a speech at the opening panel of the Dialogue of Civilizations, Multipolarity and Dialogue in Regional and Global Developments,’ Rhodes Forum’s 15th Anniversary Summit in Greece on Friday.

He said;  "When I was in office as President, I championed the cause for good governance, transparent elections and peaceful power transfers, because I also believed that at the heart of the dialogue for a more peaceful world, is the need to cultivate a culture of democracy and good governance at the national levels. This is a good way to reduce local tensions that could blossom into global crisis.

In Nigeria, through a process of dialogue, we arrived at an amnesty programme that brought an end to the crisis in the Niger Delta, an oil-rich region in my country that accounts for all the oil wells that remain the mainstay of Nigeria’s economy.

Sometime in 2014, I had a thought in my mind. Nigeria is easily the most ethnically and religiously heterogeneous society in Africa, and one of the most diverse nations in the world.

Many times, these different ethnic groups are pulling in diverse directions that as a leader, you may experience genuine fears that the centre may not hold. At that time, I asked myself, how can I as President, help build a more harmonious union in Nigeria. One based on the words of our National Anthem which ends with ‘to build a nation where peace and justice shall reign’.

To address this I convened a National Conference where the various ethnic groups and other stakeholders deliberated for five months on the future of the country. They had the mandate to discuss and advise the Government on all matters pertaining to our nationhood, except the sovereignty of the country.

On Thursday, August 21, 2014, I received the report. Our general elections came up six months after the national conference. The confidence and national goodwill the conference inspired, helped bring down the tension during and after the general elections. It was a confidence-boosting outcome, despite the predictions by some international bodies that Nigeria was going to disintegrate in 2015."

Just a few days ago, the Present Muhammadu Buhari-led administration stated that it will not be implementing the resolutions of the 2014 Confab report.

http://politicsngr.com/2017/10/06/checkmated-ethnic-tensions-tenure-goodluck-jonathan/

22 Likes

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by Davidchibike(m): 8:43pm On Oct 06, 2017
Talking like he achieved anything during his tenure

One word for this my guy below grin

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by Horlufemi(m): 8:45pm On Oct 06, 2017
the doctor

4 Likes

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by josephine123: 8:46pm On Oct 06, 2017
U nor do anything..

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by yanshDoctor: 8:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
this man was wise. he made the conference but he never implemented it.

27 Likes

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by realjoker(m): 8:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
Lolz �. Things may not be going right at the moment but that doesn’t take away our moral duty and conscience to see the truth and say it is the truth. Park well, mr President. With all due respect if only anything, you divided this country morethan anything. There are people who are unable to get passed the election today because of the role you, your wife and your campaign organization played. You indeed united Nigeria through corruption
Copied

75 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by mbaboy(m): 8:57pm On Oct 06, 2017
You said when u leave office Nigerians will appreciate u the more..... It checked out to be true my president cuz immediately u left Buhari plunged us into economic recession, dollar became only available to the cabal, freedom of speech and association ceased, 26million dollars got missing under Buhari's watch as petroleum minister, Even mama taraba confirmed Buhari has failed. GEJ God bless u for me

228 Likes 24 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by FreeConCiencE: 8:57pm On Oct 06, 2017
The ineffective buffoon himself

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by realjoker(m): 9:03pm On Oct 06, 2017
mbaboy:
You said when u leave office Nigerians will appreciate u the more..... It checked out to be true my president cuz immediately u left Buhari plunged us into economic recession, dollar became only available to the cabal, freedom of speech and association ceased, 26million dollars got missing under Buhari's watch as petroleum minister, Even mama taraba confirmed Buhari has failed. GEJ God bless u for me
A member of TAN turn Liepod spotted. $26 millions dollars missing indeed. grin

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by Homeboiy: 9:39pm On Oct 06, 2017
I didn't read and u know why

1 Like

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by deedeedee1: 9:48pm On Oct 06, 2017
mbaboy:
[s]You said when u leave office Nigerians will appreciate u the more..... It checked out to be true my president cuz immediately u left Buhari plunged us into economic recession, dollar became only available to the cabal, freedom of speech and association ceased, 26million dollars got missing under Buhari's watch as petroleum minister, Even mama taraba confirmed Buhari has failed. GEJ God bless u for me[/s]
Recession started around early 2014 when Jonathan was still president. I wonder when you ibos will accepts the fact that Jonathan is not coming back.
He is gone for good.
He was rejected.

78 Likes 12 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by IJOBA2: 9:48pm On Oct 06, 2017
Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by netflicks(m): 9:49pm On Oct 06, 2017
My dear I don't need to read how...you're absolutely correct. .. grin

Waiting for the next update.. . ; cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by anyebedgreat: 9:49pm On Oct 06, 2017
"We no be like people from the other side wey dey born children wey dem no fit count"

-Patience Jonathan -

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by holatin(m): 9:49pm On Oct 06, 2017
is this man ffucking kidding me ?

his second term campaign started ethnical divisibility and new religion divide in the south and he is here claiming to be the next prophet sent by God.

what does he take us for, not sure any sane human with functioning brain and memory retentive amygdala will believe those poo he wrote.

storm off thread in anger

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by erico2k2(m): 9:50pm On Oct 06, 2017
realjoker:
A member of TAN turn Liepod spotted. $26 millions dollars missing indeed. grin
Are you not in Nigeria at the moment? dont you listen to the news

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by IJOBA2: 9:50pm On Oct 06, 2017
LETS HEAR FROM YORUBA MUSLIMS FIRST sad

ANSWER "PRESENT" ONCE YOU HEAR YOUR NAME

BETATHINGS

BOLUSTICAL

GOKE7

KONOPLYANKA

ALHAJI TOLEXANDER

MIDOLIAN

ALHAJI GBAWE

IMAM MACLATUNJI

IMAM TBABA123

ALHAJA DEOLS

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by Ristamike: 9:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
He did, unlike Jubrin from Sudan who is championing ethnic clash everywhere.

33 Likes

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by erico2k2(m): 9:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
deedeedee1:

Recession started around early 2014 when Jonathan was still president. I wonder when you ibos will accepts the fact that Jonathan is not coming back.
He is gone for good.
He was rejected.
You hate for Igbo shaaa, what has Jonathan got to do with IGBO? he is Ijaw for crying out loud

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by ceda99: 9:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
Baba go siddon

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by brixton: 9:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
Love or hate him, GEJ is a democrat and truly a Nigerian... He allowed freedom of speech and freedom after the speech!

We can not say the same about Jubrin from Sudan!!

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by Nascad: 9:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
Your successor came and divided us!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by Ace16(m): 9:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
Too many stupid pple on this land... attacking the messenger leaving out d message.. smh

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 06, 2017
FreeConCiencE:
The ineffective buffoon himself

Fvck you.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by hollah123: 9:54pm On Oct 06, 2017
Mr jona wey cripple Nigeria economy. Na only God go forgive u n diezeni

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by elyte89: 9:54pm On Oct 06, 2017
Ogbeni, go sit down jare,not even 1ne achievement, u couldn't point to,mumu..."I doused d tension " is DT an achievement?

I can't wait for our president to point to one thing dey achieved wyle in office,for example, I fixed d power problem, d next one,I fixed d health sector,all dey say is to throw blames,proffer solutions after leaving d office,as d problems dey re proffering solutions to were not in existence wyle in office

Still waiting for our Mr integrity Buhari,to solve one major problem,AWON WEREY

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by oka4ugoo: 9:56pm On Oct 06, 2017
You say whaaaat?

Abeg just shut ur mouth already. Clueless fellow

2 Likes

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by Bolustical: 9:58pm On Oct 06, 2017
IJOBA2:

ANSWER PRESENT ONCE YPU HEAR YOUR NAME

BETATHINGS

BOLUSTICAL

GOKE7

KONOPLYANKA

ALHAJI TOLEXANDER

MIDOLIAN

ALHAJI GBAWE

MACLATUNJI

TBABA123

DEOLS

You want attention but you won't get one from me.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by kn23h(m): 9:59pm On Oct 06, 2017
IJOBA2:

ANSWER "PRESENT" ONCE YOU HEAR YOUR NAME

BETATHINGS

BOLUSTICAL

GOKE7

KONOPLYANKA

ALHAJI TOLEXANDER

MIDOLIAN

ALHAJI GBAWE

IMAM MACLATUNJI

IMAM TBABA123

ALHAJA DEOLS

Stupidity

10 Likes

Re: How I Checkmated Ethnic Tensions During My Tenure - Goodluck Jonathan by IJOBA2: 10:00pm On Oct 06, 2017
erico2k2:

You hate for Igbo shaaa, waht has Jonathan got to do with IGBO? he is Ijaw for crying out loud
THE GUY IS AN UNREPENTANT EWEDU MUSLIM

20 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Can’t Win Kogi With Bello As Candidate, Party Stakeholders Tell Buhari / Boko Haram Attacks Parts Of Yobe / IGP Adamu Illegally Raised Millions For Construction Of Training School - SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.