Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,281 members, 7,826,083 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. (4978 Views)

Some Muslims Will Make Heaven While Some Christians Will Not. / Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? / Why Are Some Christians Poor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 5:56pm On Oct 27, 2013
I
don't tink is proper for christians to put on cross because cross is a
curse thing and moreover Jesus Christ is no longer on the cross.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nomski0(f): 6:06pm On Oct 27, 2013
From Rosary to Cross.....na wa o.
Its what people believe in, and they have testimonies on how it's saved them. Different people, different beliefs.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by DesChyko1(m): 6:28pm On Oct 27, 2013
Firstly, I don't think the cross is a 'curse thing'.. Before you succeed, you must sacrifice.. Before your crown, you must carry your cross. Secondly, it's most probably not a cross you saw but a crucifix pendant. Finally, you should not openly question a religious act or belief that doesn't affect your social human right and moral values. It's a step too far. I believe they have their reasons which they will explain if you ask politely and not condemn. Peace.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by AbuMikey(m): 6:46pm On Oct 27, 2013

Ermm, OP, its not a curse, rather a piece that brings goodluck, atleast for me! cool

I do wear a cross/rosary on my neck, and its has never left my body for about 3 months,its rarely visible to others sha wink

Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:01pm On Oct 27, 2013
This is a symbol that christianity is idolatory and reformed pagan.

Also showing the level of brainwashing on christians....if jesus had die few years ago, it sure christians will put on electric chair
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 8:21pm On Oct 27, 2013
[quote
author=♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥]Firstly, I don't think the cross is a 'curse
thing'.. Before you succeed, you must sacrifice.. Before your crown, you
must carry your cross. Secondly, it's most probably not a cross you saw
but a crucifix pendant. Finally, you should not openly question a
religious act or belief that doesn't affect your social human right and
moral values. It's a step too far. I believe they have their reasons
which they will explain if you ask politely and not condemn.
Peace.[/quote]My dear is a question becos i knw God is no longer on d cross or do dy want to crucify him d second tym.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by DesChyko1(m): 8:31pm On Oct 27, 2013
FOLYKAZE: This is a symbol that christianity is idolatory and reformed pagan.

Also showing the level of brainwashing on christians....if jesus had die few years ago, it sure christians will put on electric chair

Alas.. Judgement day is here.. And God is on Nairaland. Hello God, nice to meet you.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by DesChyko1(m): 8:39pm On Oct 27, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
My dear is a question becos i knw God is no longer on d cross or do dy want to crucify him d second tym.
I wouldn't know. Do you destroy everything that reminds you of a dead relative/friend?? Pictures, gifts, clothes, properties? Do you destroy all of it?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by italo: 8:41pm On Oct 27, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
Firstly, I don't think the cross is a 'curse thing'.. Before you succeed, you must sacrifice.. Before your crown, you must carry your cross. Secondly, it's most probably not a cross you saw but a crucifix pendant. Finally, you should not openly question a religious act or belief that doesn't affect your social human right and moral values. It's a step too far. I believe they have their reasons which they will explain if you ask politely and not condemn. Peace.

This post is making much sense.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:06pm On Oct 27, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

Alas.. Judgement day is here.. And God is on Nairaland. Hello God, nice to meet you.

lol.....God is on nairaland? So he is that jobless?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by amaralizzy40y: 11:18pm On Oct 27, 2013
@des chyko, we are tlkn abt cros n nt dose things u mentiond n mind u christ is stil alive. How cn u carry hs cros when he is stil alive. If actualy it was a gud tin he would hav carried it when he raised 4rm death.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by italo: 11:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
@des chyko, we are tlkn abt cros n nt dose things u mentiond n mind u christ is stil alive. How cn u carry hs cros when he is stil alive. If actualy it was a gud tin he would hav carried it when he raised 4rm death.

1 Cor1:23. Paul says, "...but we preach Christ crucified..." Why does Paul preach Christ crucified? Doesn't he know Jesus has been raised from the dead? Of course he does! But, he knows that it is through the power of the crucified Christ on the cross that the bonds of sin and death are broken. As Paul says in verse 24, Christ crucified is the "power of God".

1 Cor 2:2, "For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified." Again, didn't Paul know that Jesus had risen from the dead? Of course, he did.
Paul preaches Christ crucified because the cross is the "power of God". This is why, we "carry his cross," because we, too, preach Christ crucified. The Crucifix reminds us not only of God's power, but also His love for us - giving His only begotten Son up for suffering and death.
Also, here in this life we do not share so much in the glory of the Resurrection, as we do in the suffering of Jesus on the cross; after all, we must take up our cross daily if we are to follow Jesus, as it says in Lk 9:23.
And, we must die with Christ in order to live with Him as Romans 6:8 tells us. Where did Christ die? On the cross. The Crucifix serves to remind us of these things.
One other passage to keep in mind is Galatians 3:1, "O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?" Did you see that? Jesus was publicly portrayed, before their "eyes", as being crucified. Sounds kind of like they may have been looking at a Crucifix, doesn't it?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 12:58am On Oct 28, 2013
Good question...very good question!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by DesChyko1(m): 3:10am On Oct 28, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
I
don't tink is proper for christians to put on cross because cross is a
curse thing and moreover Jesus Christ is no longer on the cross.

italo:

1 Cor1:23. Paul says, "...but we preach Christ crucified..." Why does Paul preach Christ crucified? Doesn't he know Jesus has been raised from the dead? Of course he does! But, he knows that it is through the power of the crucified Christ on the cross that the bonds of sin and death are broken. As Paul says in verse 24, Christ crucified is the "power of God".

1 Cor 2:2, "For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified." Again, didn't Paul know that Jesus had risen from the dead? Of course, he did.
Paul preaches Christ crucified because the cross is the "power of God". This is why, we "carry his cross," because we, too, preach Christ crucified. The Crucifix reminds us not only of God's power, but also His love for us - giving His only begotten Son up for suffering and death.
Also, here in this life we do not share so much in the glory of the Resurrection, as we do in the suffering of Jesus on the cross; after all, we must take up our cross daily if we are to follow Jesus, as it says in Lk 9:23.
And, we must die with Christ in order to live with Him as Romans 6:8 tells us. Where did Christ die? On the cross. The Crucifix serves to remind us of these things.
One other passage to keep in mind is Galatians 3:1, "O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?" Did you see that? Jesus was publicly portrayed, before their "eyes", as being crucified. Sounds kind of like they may have been looking at a Crucifix, doesn't it?

I did tell you if you asked politely, you'll surely get a good answer. Well done @ Italo. You defended you faith quite amazingly.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by italo: 4:34am On Oct 28, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

I did tell you if you asked politely, you'll surely get a good answer. Well done @ Italo. You defended you faith quite amazingly.

Thanks.

The tragedy is: there are some who when they have made up their minds to condemn, block all the channels of reason in their heads.

I'm hoping the OP isn't one.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nobody: 4:43am On Oct 28, 2013
The OP as a member of the lord's chosen prefers apron.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Danhumprey: 5:51am On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta: Good question...very good question!
What is your take on it?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 6:44am On Oct 28, 2013
Danhumprey: What is your take on it?

I don't think God wants us to tie our faith around an object. Addressing such things as goodluck items or whatever means your faith depends on them...i.e without them you expect no good. Isn't that idolatry?

Can't we just serve God without replacing/representing/restructuring Him with an ordinary piece of item? I can...i don't know about you all. God is enough for me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 7:03am On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta:

I don't think God wants us to tie our faith around an object. Addressing such things as goodluck items or whatever means your faith depends on them...i.e without them you expect no good. Isn't that idolatry?

Can't we just serve God without replacing/representing/restructuring Him with an ordinary piece of item? I can...i don't know about you all. God is enough for me.

Yeah it may seem like it doesn't matter, but we still keep little pictures of our loved ones. Can't we just love them without replacing/representing/restructuring them with an ordinary piece of item? Jesus is God, but it pleased Him to take ordinary human flesh which can be described,drawn, carved, or molded. He died on a piece of item, a piece of wood, which can be represented. Those who bore witness for Christianity, the martyrs of old represented Him in the catacombs, yet he was happy with them and supplied them with grace backed with numerous miracles. Except one is ignorant of these or plain mischievous, one will not have a problem with the cross. The devil seek to remove every semblance of the cross, one day we'll doubt if the lord was truly crucified.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 28, 2013
@op

Assuming he was even nailed on the cross. that is no reason to put it on. the excess of idolatry is to view it as a talisman.

Just like you said, neither Jesus nor his apostles wore "cross" nor did they tell anyone to wear it. If you want to remember his death, observe his memorial. If you live according to his footsteps, he will even appreciate it as carrying his "cross" than disturbing your neck with it and even viewing it as a talisman or ascribing worship to it. that is idolatry.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Areaboy2(m): 7:08am On Oct 28, 2013
Why do some Christians put on cross?

To scare vampires.. I hear they don't like crosses at all.

Not sure why, but legend has it that one vampire had his wife shagged by a guy wearing a cross.. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 7:44am On Oct 28, 2013
Syncan:

Yeah it may seem like it doesn't matter, but we still keep little pictures of our loved ones. Can't we just love them without replacing/representing/restructuring them with an ordinary piece of item? Jesus is God, but it pleased Him to take ordinary human flesh which can be described,drawn, carved, or molded. He died on a piece of item, a piece of wood, which can be represented. Those who bore witness for Christianity, the martyrs of old represented Him in the catacombs, yet he was happy with them and supplied them with grace backed with numerous miracles. Except one is ignorant of these or plain mischievous, one will not have a problem with the cross. The devil seek to remove every semblance of the cross, one day we'll doubt if the lord was truly crucified.

Maybe i am ignorant. Maybe i am mischievous. Truth remains that i need nothing to remind me of the death and ressurection of my Saviour. Let the devil try till eternity, it changes nothing because it did happen. Christ died for me. Either i choose to forget (which will never happen) or not, fact remains that He died for me. If you need a physical item to remind you and clear your doubts, you need to work on your belief.

Faith is the evidence of things not seen. What else do i need? Pray tell!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nomski0(f): 3:09pm On Oct 28, 2013
FOLYKAZE: This is a symbol that christianity is idolatory and reformed pagan.

@Bold, that's a little extreme. Christianity isnt idolatory.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 4:30pm On Oct 28, 2013
Why would i need anything to even remind me of the death of Christ? He is risen! He lives in me. We have a strong connection. What kind of reminder again biko? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 4:49pm On Oct 28, 2013
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Syncan(m): 4:49pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta: Why would i need anything to even remind me of the death of Christ? He is risen! He lives in me. We have a strong connection. What kind of reminder again biko? cheesy

I have no doubt about your strong connection, maybe I need to work on my faith, just as I may also need to work on my love, for I carry with me, the pictures of my loved ones. I guess you don't, since you must love them so dearly that you need no pictures of them.

However just something for you from early christians,those who ran the race before us, who defended the faith we enjoy now, with their lives:

... we declare that we defend free from any innovations all the written and unwritten ecclesiastical traditions that have been entrusted to us. One of these is the production of representational art; this is quite in harmony with the history of the spread of the gospel, as it provides confirmation that the becoming man of the Word of God was real and not just imaginary, and as it brings us a similar benefit. For, things that mutually illustrate one another undoubtedly possess one another's message.

Council of Nicea 787AD.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 4:59pm On Oct 28, 2013
^ ^ ^
The pictures of your loved ones you carry, you mean even the ones alive? You carry their pictures (or anything) everywhere you go? Day and night? Every moment of the day?

I love mine dearly, yes. I don't carry their pictures with me. They are in my heart. Pictures are in albums cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nomski0(f): 5:04pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta: ^ ^ ^
The pictures of your loved ones you carry, you mean even the ones alive? You carry their pictures (or anything) everywhere you go? Day and night? Every moment of the day?

I love mine dearly, yes. I don't carry their pictures with me. They are in my heart. Pictures are in albums cheesy
Carrying the Cross about isnt the same as carrying pictures of loved ones around. They're two different things.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 5:08pm On Oct 28, 2013
Nomski0: Carrying the Cross about isnt the same as carrying pictures of loved ones around. They're two different things.

So why did he use that as an example?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Nomski0(f): 5:15pm On Oct 28, 2013
Caracta:

So why did he use that as an example?
See, that's his own personal reason. Some people carry the cross around, not just to remember that he died for our since but because, they believe there's power associated with it. Some pray to it, like i do. Some believe that physically he might not be still there, but spiritually he's there. And he can hear their prayers, protect them etc, etc
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by Caracta(f): 5:18pm On Oct 28, 2013
Nomski0: See, that's his own personal reason. Some people carry the cross around, not just to remember that he died for our since but because, they believe there's power associated with it. Some pray to it, like i do. Some believe that physically he might not be still there, but spiritually he's there. And he can hear their prayers, protect them etc, etc

Thanks for that explanation.

To each his own. I wonder why you pray to it but it is your choice. I respect that. But i have just one question for you if you don't mind...Can you pray without it?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Put On Cross. by AbuMikey(m): 5:18pm On Oct 28, 2013
Nomski0: See, that's his own personal reason. Some people carry the cross around, not just to remember that he died for our since but because, [size=24pt]they believe there's power associated with it[/size] . Some pray to it, like i do. Some believe that physically he might not be still there, but spiritually he's there. And he can hear their prayers, protect them etc, etc

You got that right wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We Must Ist Know About Our Sins To Be Redeemed. / Why Is Pastor Kunle Ajayi Not Ministering At This Convention? / A Very Good Pentecostal Church In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.