Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,878 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (550551 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by mctowel01: 11:31am On Oct 16, 2017
Got my visa. Thanks

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by mctowel01: 11:46am On Oct 16, 2017
Vinsmuft:
Culture Shocks.

You get to see things like this at work. They expect you to respect yourself and pay for anything you pick up. I see this and shake my head cos I know it's not possible back in naija.
Hahahahahaha
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tyosho: 12:37pm On Oct 16, 2017
Kayla10:

Hi Tyosho,

Did not receive an email.

Please send me a mail on tosho28@yahoo.com
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by cc77(m): 12:39pm On Oct 16, 2017
oknee:

We pay exactly 320 dollars a week on rent. Our bond was 1280 dollars which is 4 weeks rent.
please how much is $1 Australia dollar to naira?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by zanyzara: 12:58pm On Oct 16, 2017
cc77:
please how much is $1 Australia dollar to naira?
According to google search.......

$1 AUD = 290 Naira

Zany.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by teewhysafe(f): 2:28pm On Oct 16, 2017
Wow. So much to learn here sha.

More please!!!!!!!!!

Lol

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 2:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
mctowel01:

thanks alot for sharing. Though, I never met Ibiyemi, i too have being a recipent of his kindness.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by BagiChris: 2:57pm On Oct 16, 2017
Hello

I'm landing December! Abeg make the kindness no finish before I land o.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Itissettled3: 3:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
Hello good people.

Anyone with stories of life in Northern Australia? While researching I noticed it had the lowest unemployment rate. Places like Darwin, Alice Springs e.t.c

I would sincerely appreciate any advice

5 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Vinsmuft(m): 6:30pm On Oct 16, 2017
Kayla10:

The bolded is incorrect. If you have a valid licence from any one of the countries listed under recognised countries and jurisdictions on the Vicroads website and are over 21 or 25 (depending on the country and how long you have had your probationary licence), your licence is recognised in Victoria and you will not need to sit any of these tests. You will be issued a licence based on that.

Yes you are right. Sorry about that.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jbelieve: 8:47pm On Oct 16, 2017
WellEndowed:

I am glad I was able to clarify thingssmiley . Some years ago who send Australia, Canada, NZ? All Nigerians knew then was the US or UK. Fast forward to today, '"breeze haff blow and the blokos of the fowl haff been exposed". I met one Naija Gynaecologist(British passport and all) in WA they are now in Melbourne. The man sold his house in the UK and has sworn never to return. Free car, free 4 bedroom house, his own PA/nurse and above all better pay grin

Hi wellendowed, please I'd like to know if there are any chances of employers sponsoring foreigners to migrate and work for them eg 187 visa. I am really interested in this visa type. Or what's your opinion on employer sponsored visa?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by kamotisha: 8:48am On Oct 17, 2017
BagiChris:
Hello

I'm landing December! Abeg make the kindness no finish before I land o.

December migrants plenty grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 17, 2017
Itissettled3:
Hello good people.

Anyone with stories of life in Northern Australia? While researching I noticed it had the lowest unemployment rate. Places like Darwin, Alice Springs e.t.c

I would sincerely appreciate any advice

If you are in the health field, you will find heaps of work there

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 17, 2017
Jbelieve:

Hi wellendowed, please I'd like to know if there are any chances of employers sponsoring foreigners to migrate and work for them eg 187 visa. I am really interested in this visa type. Or what's your opinion on employer sponsored visa?

Your field of study must really be in high demand to get this Visa

FUN FACT: I was sponsored by an employer under that kind of visa. I think it might have been called a different subclass at the time...can't remember but, I was the first person ever that company sponsored. They paid for everything. My employer lodged my application on the 20th of November that year and by 22nd of November that same year -2 days later( I swear down-not kidding) I got a call from my brother who was also CC'd in the visa grant email, congratulating me. I didn't even know I got the visa. It was supposed to take months but my employer was desperate and used an agent from the chamber of commerce to lodge my application. I didn't pay a dime and there were no conditions on my visa or employment letter. Bear in mind I was already in Australia

My life is a testimony

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 17, 2017
Hi fellow Nairalanders, just a quick update. My family of 4 left Lagos on 14th for Dubai DXB airport and we had a 4 hours stop over. The ticket IOM sent us only had a stop over at Dubai but we were surprised To have another stop over at Bangkok, though a brief one. Emirate is excellent and their in flight entertainment system really helped in relieving the stress of the journey. After about 24 hours on the air, we safely arrived Sydney by 9am on the 16th of oct. We clear the customs easily and people here are so helpful, we got two stranger helped with out trolley and Sannywemmy was already waiting to pick us up. He's an excellent guy and so is his wife. Thanks to other members who kept tracking us on the air: ayaboyo, sir bellong, mctowel, bnimz, kikiade and my personal person @disectur. Special thanks to my landlord(Jamson) and Mrs Jamson for her hospitality, the efo and semo was very much on point. On the 17th of oct, Sannywemmy is around again to take us to centerlink and we complete our registrations. I'll give more update as we settle.

29 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by rinzylee(m): 2:21pm On Oct 17, 2017
;Dbeen thinking..... yet to hear of any one who has started a business over there.... or you all don't like biz
Seriously thinking of continuing my Charcoal Export over there when I land o..... no be only Canada and US business dey joor...

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by majiouk2002: 4:22pm On Oct 17, 2017
nosula:
I am presently applying for jobs not necessarily cos am looking to move immediately but rather gauging the adequacy of my resume. I have found seek and indeed jobsite to be very useful. Doing this can help you know if there is a certification you can do to boost ur cv before you relocate and at the same time, u can filter your job search by region/state. This was useful in my case as I initially wanted to reside in Perth, but based on my findings I am now looking at either melbourne or sydney.
Inspire of all I said, it's generally harder to secure a job when you are offshore. In my case I used Skype to get an Australian landline number which is presently on my resume and using a friend's address in Perth.
I would be relocating by early 2018. I hope this helps. Cheers

Bro, was there any reason why you ditched Perth for Melbourne and Sydney? Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ejimjesus: 4:32pm On Oct 17, 2017
babylove01:

Thanks very plenty for taking out time to answer the questions. The materials would be appreciated as well

Cc wellEndowed

Please the materials would be appreciated. Send me
odohcasmir@gmail.com
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ejimjesus: 4:36pm On Oct 17, 2017
Vinsmuft:

For driving in Victoria, you need to pass three tests.
1. The learner's permit test
2. The hazard perception test
3. The drive test.

Everyone (both foreigner or Australian born) who wants to drive in Victoria must pass these tests. Even if you have driven for 20 years in your country and you want to drive in Victoria you must pass these tests. The first is the knowledge of the road laws in Victoria. The second tests how you would respond to various hazards while driving and the third is the practical drive test. But since you can drive with your naija licence for 6 months in Victoria, you have ample time to prepare for these tests. I've done the first two. E no hard. I can post the materials here if needed

Please forward to odohcasmir@gmail.com
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Bukapinch: 5:41pm On Oct 17, 2017
Thanks to everyone for your contribution & ideas, God bless us all. Please I seriously need help , I have booked my ticket for Sunday 22 to Adelaide but my problem is accommodation. I dnt know if anybody in the house can assist a brother. Thanks guys...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by sofi05(m): 7:13pm On Oct 17, 2017
Vinsmuft:
Landing

I got IOM tickets and the journey to Melbourne was a breeze. No issues with immigration at Melbourne airport. I came in with my pregnant wife and three children and we stayed with a former colleague in Cranbourne West (South east of Melbourne). If you have PR, register with Centrelink/Medicare asap so that you can start receiving Aussie dollars. Those Centrelink payments really made sense for us before I got job. And like tyosho said, a concession card from Centrelink is a must.

Accommodation

Getting accommodation was tough. We were not really comfortable staying with a family and needed ours fast. I used www.realestate.com.au to look for places to rent. Then if you see one you like, you need to book for inspection where you and several others who are interested in the house will come to have a look at it. After inspection, try to be friendly with the agent and convince him/her that you are able to pay the rent on a continuous basis. This "pally-pally" is important before you submit a formal application (yes they apply for accommodation here) so that the agent can put in a good word to the landlord for you. Some of the documents you will need to submit along with a formal application are proof of identity (passport, Australian drivers licence, Medicare card, etc), statement of account, proof of source of income (i.e employment letter), rental history and history of payment of bills (which you don't have as a newbie). In my own case, after we don inspect house tire, one of the agents had compassion on my wife who was ready to drop at any time (her due date was in 3-4 weeks time) and spoke with one of the landlords and so we got our own place. Advice: please get a place that has ducted heating which uses gas. It is more effective and cheaper than buying all these standalone heaters (my opinion though). Most houses here have a backyard lawn so prepare your mind to do some work mowing it regularly. I just mowed mine on Saturday and have not fully recovered 48 hours later grin

Work
As a Aussie newbie, prepare your mind to do casual work. Simple and straight. I am an IT person (programmer with 10 years experience) and before coming I checked seek.com.au. I saw millions of jobs in my field and was very confident that I will land one in my first month. Na dem go dey beg me to come collect job cool (na wetin dey my mind). But after coming in and staying for almost two months without job, my eyes cleared shocked. I had been applying for like 5-6 jobs every single day but with no results. They always ask for local Aussie experience. My 10 year naija experience did not count for jack. Omo I had to register for a factory job and did that for 6 weeks before I got my career job through divine intervention. And factory jobs plenty for here and they all pay well. Advice: If you will be doing factory jobs, please get a back support belt otherwise your back go hear am.
Yes work here is not as stressful as in naija. Yes, most jobs have table tennis and other games. In my own case, its a small office space so what we do is play cards. Omo see where my supervisor with other colleagues dey teach me how to play cards. That was a culture shock for me. But dont be deceived by all this and you think that you will come here and relax and not work hard. No be so o. Oyinbo wont give you this dollar free like that. You gast to work mehn.
If getting professional work is tough, you could also look at doing care for disabled or aged care. Men those jobs pay well o. I know guys who are making solid dough here. You could do a course on these professions. I'm currently doing one (Certificate IV on Disability online).

School
School age is from 5 years. If you have any children above that age, they can start school immediately at the nearest public school. You don't need to come with a letter from their naija school. Just go to the closest school and ask for their requirements which are usually intl passport of the child , visa grant, and maybe some little money for books. Tuition is free. But my problem with their school system is that the children play a lot and are not being given homework to do. So be prepared to do some extra work to help with your child's education like borrowing books from the community library for them to read when they come back from school and at weekends. I did not have time to compare and contrast schools. I just looked for the closest one where my daughter can walk to and fro by herself (she's 8 years). That's because I would be doing my factory job and my wife was heavy with child and taking care of 2 other children so nobody has time to drop her off and pick her from school.

Other tips. DO NOT COME HERE WITHOUT YOUR NAIJA DRIVERS LICENCE. Even if it's expired, still bring it. FRSC or no FRSC certified bring am. At all at all na him bad o. And I don't mean international drivers license. Somehow during the rush of packing I forgot mine in Lagos. I have to now start from learner's permit sad. An Aussie driver's license is as important as a means of ID as your naija passport. So no carry am play. I can give you some info on the different tests you would need to do to obtain your Aussie drv licence. Then since I have a large family, I needed to buy a car asap. Its an absolute must here. If all your children are past 6 years, a normal car would do. www.carsales.com.au is better than www.gumtree.com.au for new/used cars because you can get more detailed info about the car you want to buy. Also it's more expensive but safer to buy from a car dealer than from a private individual. Please dont come and be spending your newly converted naira dollars anyhow o (I mean the dollars you got after converting your naija naira). You might think this burger is just $10 and want to have a bite etc. Plenty things dey here wey go dey draw your eye. You children sef go add to your stress by carrying you to where tantalising chocolate and stuff are being sold. Pls hold body o. This is because when you finally get your first accommodation and start paying rent and bills, all that money will finish fast. We used up all our money to pay our first rent and bond, and did not have enough to pay the next rent. That was the point where my eyes cleared and I quickly jumped on the factory work bandwagon. I cant dull myself in this country abeg tongue

This my article (or epistle) don too long sha. So I'll stop for a while and wait for questions.

Chairman, I hail o! Pls, did you say one shouldn't come with int'l driver's license? My Naija license expires by end of Nov!!!!!!!! I enter before then and the new one can only be applied for from a month prior to its expiry. What can I do? The only other option is the Intl licence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jbelieve: 7:18pm On Oct 17, 2017
WellEndowed:

Your field of study must really be in high demand to get this Visa

FUN FACT: I was sponsored by an employer under that kind of visa. I think it might have been called a different subclass at the time...can't remember but, I was the first person ever that company sponsored. They paid for everything. My employer lodged my application on the 20th of November that year and by 22nd of November that same year -2 days later( I swear down-not kidding) I got a call from my brother who was also CC'd in the visa grant email, congratulating me. I didn't even know I got the visa. It was supposed to take months but my employer was desperate and used an agent from the chamber of commerce to lodge my application. I didn't pay a dime and there were no conditions on my visa or employment letter. Bear in mind I was already in Australia

My life is a testimony

Thank you for responding. Amazing testimony. My field is Construction project manager. I have my Bsc in estate management and Msc in Construction project management. I'm presently in Nigeria but I pray an employer nominates me.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Akachukwu123: 8:52pm On Oct 17, 2017
Good day good people.
Pls can I get help here on his to get an employee to sponsor my 489visa to Tasmania or new south wales(or anywhere at all)
I passed an engineering technologist assessment with EA since August but I'm having issue making all 7 in IELTS to take my points to 65.
Thank you
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Vinsmuft(m): 9:41pm On Oct 17, 2017
sofi05:

Chairman, I hail o! Pls, did you say one shouldn't come with int'l driver's license? My Naija license expires by end of Nov!!!!!!!! I enter before then and the new one can only be applied for from a month prior to its expiry. What can I do? The only other option is the Intl licence.

Your expired licence has more weight than the intl drv license. By law you are not allowed to drive in Victoria with only ur intl drv licence. So still bring ur expired one. They just want to be sure that you have been driving for a while back in your country. You can convert that expired license to an Aussie license, provided that the expired license has been verified, and you have passed the three tests I mentioned above. But you cannot convert your intl drv license as it is not recognised.
I have been using bone face to drive here for 5 months with just my intl license. Na God o because if them catch me ehn...

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Cognito79: 9:44pm On Oct 17, 2017
Jbelieve:

Thank you for responding. Amazing testimony. My field is Construction project manager. I have my Bsc in estate management and Msc in Construction project management. I'm presently in Nigeria but I pray an employer nominates me.

Why wait for an employer to nominate you when you can do the skill migration. What outstanding skill do you have that an employer will not get in the country in project management?

It is better to start the skill assessment than waiting for employer to nominate you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Vinsmuft(m): 9:57pm On Oct 17, 2017
ejimjesus:

Please forward to odohcasmir@gmail.com

For the first test (called Road to Solo driving test or learner's permit test) please download this book and digest it https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BQ_eqt9kDvSm85bWM3Y1FxY28/view?usp=drivesdk. It contains knowledge of all the road laws in Victoria. You could also download this book from the Vicroads website.

For the second test (Hazard Perception test), you can check for practise materials at this site http://www.drivingtestvic.com/hazard-perception-test-practice-vic-hpt/.

I'm preparing for the third test which is the drive test. I'm using a trainer to guide me on what they will be looking out for. I know of someone who failed the drive test simply because she did not fully release the hand brake!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ejimjesus: 10:47pm On Oct 17, 2017
Vinsmuft:

For the first test (called Road to Solo driving test or learner's permit test) please download this book and digest it https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BQ_eqt9kDvSm85bWM3Y1FxY28/view?usp=drivesdk. It contains knowledge of all the road laws in Victoria. You could also download this book from the Vicroads website.

For the second test (Hazard Perception test), you can check for practise materials at this site http://www.drivingtestvic.com/hazard-perception-test-practice-vic-hpt/.

I'm preparing for the third test which is the drive test. I'm using a trainer to guide me on what they will be looking out for. I know of someone who failed the drive test simply because she did not fully release the hand brake!

Thanks so much
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jbelieve: 1:39am On Oct 18, 2017
Cognito79:

Why wait for an employer to nominate you when you can do the skill migration. What outstanding skill do you have that an employer will not get in the country in project management?

It is better to start the skill assessment than waiting for employer to nominate you.

Vetassess needs at least one year experience which I don't have yet before I can do an assessment with them. This is why I am trying this option for now.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 18, 2017
Jbelieve:

You are in Nigeria? Then remove mind from sponsorship. It will take a miracle for you to be sponsored by an employer with you outside the country.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by kamotisha: 6:51am On Oct 18, 2017
[quote author=doyen06 post=61506619]Hi fellow Nairalanders, just a quick update.

Many your ways be prosperous, Amen!
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by DAVECENA(m): 9:40am On Oct 18, 2017
Quick question. Are there scholarship programs available to intending Msc students?
Thanks.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 18, 2017
DAVECENA:
Quick question. Are there scholarship programs available to intending Msc students?
Thanks.

Wrong thread, search for the Australia Student visa thread and ask this question.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.