Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,951 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

What Are The Negative Side Of Adopting A Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Negative Side Of Adopting A Child (1802 Views)

What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. / Is Adopting A Child Bad? / What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Negative Side Of Adopting A Child by mex004(m): 4:05am On Mar 10, 2010
What are the negative sides of adopting a child
Re: What Are The Negative Side Of Adopting A Child by Folala(m): 4:19am On Mar 10, 2010
You'r held responsible if anything goes wrong with the child, if the child succeeds in life for sure you enjoy all the credits.
Re: What Are The Negative Side Of Adopting A Child by Nobody: 6:41am On Mar 10, 2010
Re: What Are The Negative Side Of Adopting A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:11am On Mar 10, 2010
the social stigma associated with adoption is a big problem for many, both for the adoptive parent and the child alike.

if you already have family of your own, how will your adopted child feel as in being accepted especially when she/he wasnt a baby when adopted or even if she was and later find out? you will directly or indirectly create an environment where he/she will feel like an outcast? will your family and immediate family be accepting and supportive of your new child and your decisions?

are you willing to accept the responsibility of raising a child that is not biologically yours? will you be easily ticked off on everything?

do you plan on ever telling the child (if she/he was a baby when adopted), that he/she was adopted? if not, how would you handle the prospect of him/her finding out from others? and the negative stereotypes he/she will likely encounter?
Re: What Are The Negative Side Of Adopting A Child by benincitys(f): 5:46pm On Mar 10, 2010
negative side is when their start looking for their biological parent
Re: What Are The Negative Side Of Adopting A Child by SALady(f): 11:46am On Mar 11, 2010
benincitys:

negative side is when their start looking for their biological parent

^^^ which always happens apparently. However, I believe that when that time comes you should help the child to find their biological parents, its their right to know and decide how they want to take things forward. Children do not belong to us they are of GOd and that's where they end up.

A colleague of mine once told me about her aunt who was a high flyer and delayed childbearing until it was too late. The aunt and husband ended up adopting children. When she died the husband could only ask one question "Oh! what am I going to do with all her children now?" which meant he never considered the children his since they were not biological. How sad, I guess that's the other downside, that the hubby could be resentful deep inside and yet not mention it to his wife.

Another downside close to me is of a friend of mine adopted by a white family. Her biological family is after her now that she is grown up and ofcourse living with a white family she must have money or have access to it. They are up to a lot of drama with this situation. When I say drama I mean literal drama, they even went to report a missing child on television programmes saying that their child has been kidnapped by a white woman, meanwhile there is no such. Her mother who literaly abondened her when she was two days old phoned her sometime and asked her to give her money so she can look after her other children.

Now in this situation as an adopting parent its hard because who have to deal with the drama of psychopathic behaviour and conduct of the biological parents, causing a spectacle in your peaceful life. The adopted child doesnt want anything to do with her biological mother and its her right too.

Ask me if I would adopt a child? YES!
Re: What Are The Negative Side Of Adopting A Child by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 11, 2010
The only cons I can think of is what benincitys said. I guess that is the biggest disadvantage not in all cases but in some.
especially when the child become someone successful. The biological parents usually plan to take him /her away.
Re: What Are The Negative Side Of Adopting A Child by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 11, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Wives,will You Allow Your In-laws Serve Themselves In Your Kitchen? / Help A Sister In Problem Please / What Are Your Favorite Childhood Memories??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.