Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria (9742 Views)

Buhari’s Undisclosed Share At Panalpina W.T Revealed - Daily Post / Amaechi Tipped As DG Buhari Presidential Campaign Office As Party Zone VP To S/W / Analysis Of Nigerian 2006 Census Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by oludanjuma(m): 9:13am On Mar 10, 2010
Hi guys. can we collectively do a SWOT analysis of our country Nigeria? Please respect other people's opinion while you are at it.
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by lannre(m): 11:42am On Mar 10, 2010
Oludanjuma whenever you send a topic please educate readers a bit, hence people will know exactly what you are talking about. Is not everyone that knows what S.W.O.T is all about and I believe nairaland should be an educative forum. I took time to paste this (as shown below)

[b]SWOT analysis is a strategic planning method used to evaluate the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats involved in a project or in a business venture. It involves specifying the objective of the business venture or project and identifying the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving that objective. The technique is credited to Albert Humphrey, who led a convention at Stanford University in the 1960s and 1970s using data from Fortune 500 companies.

A SWOT analysis must first start with defining a desired end state or objective. A SWOT analysis may be incorporated into the strategic planning model. Strategic Planning, including SWOT and SCAN analysis, has been the subject of much research.

* Strengths: attributes of the person or company that are helpful to achieving the objective(s).
* Weaknesses: attributes of the person or company that are harmful to achieving the objective(s).
* Opportunities: external conditions that are helpful to achieving the objective(s).
* Threats: external conditions which could do damage to the objective(s).
[/b]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWOT_analysis

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by rapidbi(m): 5:36pm On May 07, 2011
Hi
Doing a SWOT analysis on a country is a good idea, however it is impossible to do this without a goal or purpose.

For example a SWOT analysis on Nigeria for export or for tourism will be very different. What is a strength in one context or situation will be a weakness in another.

What context or purpose did you have in mind?

1 Like

Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by dustydee: 6:17pm On May 07, 2011
Very educative site you have there. I will actually want to know the "general" SWOT analysis of Nigeria as a country. Her strenghts,weaknesses opportunities and threats.e.g one of her strength could be her large youthful population
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by Sunofgod(m): 6:57pm On May 07, 2011
Strengths - The South
Weaknesses - The North
Opportunities - The South
Threats - The North

3 Likes

Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 7:00pm On May 07, 2011
Sun of god:

Strengths - The South
Weakneses - The North
Threats - The North

HEHHEHEHE!! Funny!!
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by violent(m): 7:08pm On May 07, 2011
Sun of god:

Strengths - The South
Weakneses - The North
Threats - The North

My belle wan tear with laugh

1 Like

Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by EzeUche2(m): 7:08pm On May 07, 2011
Sun of god:

Strengths - The South
Weakneses - The North
Threats - The North

Very nice analysis. cheesy
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by youngmonie: 7:45pm On May 07, 2011
Sun of god:

Strengths - The South
Weaknesses - The North
Threats - The North
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, I STILLL DEY LAUGH OHHH
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by Pharoh: 7:47pm On May 07, 2011
Sun of god:

Strengths - The South
Weaknesses - The North
Threats - The North

Wrong analysis, i think the word Nigeria should fill the whole slot.
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by tpia5: 8:07pm On May 07, 2011
Any serious contributions yet?

And lets leave out tourism plz. That topic has been done to death and besides its already being handled in whatever way by relevant parties.

Lets focus on something else. Eg security, etc etc.

My two cents, not set in stone.
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by tpia5: 8:09pm On May 07, 2011
Culture too, is irrelevant in this context imo, especially if its only being mentioned for sentimental value.
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by dustydee: 8:11pm On May 07, 2011
Sun of god:

Strengths - The South
Weaknesses - The North
Threats - The North
i think one of our weaknesses is u
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by Sunofgod(m): 8:30pm On May 07, 2011
dustydee:

i think one of our weaknesses is u

I'm not from the North - wink
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by Pharoh: 8:36pm On May 07, 2011
tpia@:

Any serious contributions yet?

And lets leave out tourism plz.  That topic has been done to death and besides its already being handled in whatever way by relevant parties.

Lets focus on something else. Eg security, etc etc.

My two cents, not set in stone.

Security is nice topic, but doing some kind of analysis in the open forum might not be too good. But anway what kind of security are you talking about.

Strength
Powerful military force

Weakness

poor communication system
weak identity system
sub-standard security operatives.

opportunities
growth of information technology industry

threats
Porous borders
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by sirjec(m): 9:02pm On May 07, 2011
Please let us watch what we say. Imagine sun of god would have caused my stomach to explode.

Wel on a serious note

Strengths = Oil, Making good Policies
Weakness= Corruption, insecurity, Police, PHCN, FERMA, EFCC, ICPC, Code of Conduct, National Assembly, CPC, Education,
Importation, Smuggling, Poor Policy Implementation,
Opportunities= Agriculture, mining, Industrialization
Threats = Insucurity, Boko Haram, Almajerins, Rigging, Buhari, IBB, OBJ
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by Sunofgod(m): 9:26pm On May 07, 2011
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by enyojo(f): 9:27pm On May 07, 2011
[size=25pt]S-STRENGTHS: MILLIONS OF DETERMINED SERIOUS-MINDED JOBLESS YOUTHS (above 70% Youth population)
W-WEAKNESESS: HAPPY-GO-LUCKY, ACCIDENTAL & UNPREPARED LEADERSHIP (E.G Goodluck's indicisive demeanor)
O-OPPORTUNITIES: AGRICULTURAL AND MINERAL RESOURCES (Fertile famlands, minerals in every LGA, etc)
T-THREATS: RELIGIOUS AND POLITICAL BIGOTRY (Settlers/Indigene dicotomy in Jos, Moslem/Christian dicotomy in kaduna, EX-militants/Non-millitant dicotomy in Niger delta etc)[/size]
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 9:48pm On May 07, 2011
@Sun of God
The pictures grin grin grin grin grin
Another classic!!
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by Bawss1(m): 10:02pm On May 07, 2011
SOG is killing me here. Some mothers really do have em. Funny thread I must say. cheesy
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by chuks2612: 10:42pm On May 07, 2011
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by Nobody: 3:15am On May 08, 2011
Strength- Yorubas
Weakness- Other Tribes
Opportunities- Agriculture
Threat- Niaraland's Tribalism
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:26am On May 08, 2011
Pretty meaningful analysis there @Enyojo
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by enyojo(f): 8:18am On May 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Pretty meaningful analysis there @Enyojo

Thanks jor. When I grow up, I'd like to be like u. Lol
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by silverstud: 8:31am On May 08, 2011
STRENGTHS: POPULATION (HARDWORKING, ENTERPRISING, CAN DO ATTITUDE, BUSINESS ACUMEN, SURVIVAL INSTINCT, HOSPITABLE ETC)

WEAKNESS: LEADERSHIP (CORRUPTION, NEPOTISM, TRIBALISM, INDISCIPLINE, NO LONG TERM PLANNING, NO IDEA FOR NATIONAL ORIENTATION ETC)

OPPORTUNITIES: YOUTH, IDEAS & INNOVATION (NOLLYWOOD, ENTERTAINMENT, TOURISM, YOUTH ENLIGHTENMENT ETC)

THREATS: PEOPLE (RELIGIOUS & TRIBALISTIC BIGOTRY ETC)
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by vladimiros: 8:47am On May 08, 2011
weakness and Threats is our mentality to me

Nigerians ave one annoying pessimist haters personality that annoys me deeply

if we nigerians are talking about our country, we can be so pessimist

if a Nigerian becomes successful the amount of hate they would get is unbelievable
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:17pm On May 09, 2011
Strengths:
1. Rich in mineral and human resource.
2. Reasonably independent from colonial influence. No single foreign power can say that they have free run of the place, compared to some of our West African neighbours. Many of them feel the country is complicated in structure, and prefer to deal with us at arms length, which has been a sort of advantage.
3. Stable polity compared to other African countries with similar profiles, like Congo DR, Angola, etc.
4. Positive relations with major world powers. Well-balanced with both East and West, recognized as a potential influence in SSA region, and accorded the statutory recognition by the world powers.
5. Dynamic and resourceful private sector

Weaknesses:
1. Very weak socio-political institutions, eroded by years of military rule. Political climate is one of opportunists rather than progressives.
2. Corrupt and inefficient bureaucracy, with outdated and retrogressive processes and laws. This is a fallout of Weakness 1.
3. The curse of multi-ethnicity is strong here; the balance can be fragile at times and plays a role in stifling needed developmental policies. There is always the sense that the company is close to a precipice, and can easily be forced into anarchy, though this has largely not been the case due to the resilience of the people.

Opportunities:
1. Hugely untapped FDI (foreign direct investment) opportunities. Nigeria is full of mineral and natural resources, and given the right focus by government, can be easily positioned within the sub-region as the investment destination of choice.
2. Movement towards a more stable democratic clime can result in a repositioning as the leader of Black Africa. That comes with a measure of privilege and respect.
3. The size of the population indicates that any investment can thrive easily, given the right policy direction and incentive by government.

Threats:
1. Multi-ethnicity. The country is not united by any single ideology or purpose, and that affects the direction to a large extent. People tend to hold a national cake mentality, and will not feel any sense of long-term security.
2. Population growth: Just like India, if the population grows faster than the economy, it will be a case of perennial catch-up, and interventions will always be required.

1 Like

Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by dustydee: 5:30pm On May 09, 2011
sirjec:

Please let us watch what we say. Imagine sun of god would have caused my stomach to explode.

Wel on a serious note

Strengths = Oil, Making good Policies
Weakness= Corruption, insecurity, Police, PHCN, FERMA, EFCC, ICPC, Code of Conduct, National Assembly, CPC, Education,
Importation, Smuggling, Poor Policy Implementation,
Opportunities= Agriculture, mining, Industrialization
Threats = Insucurity, Boko Haram, Almajerins, Rigging, Buhari, IBB, OBJ
good analysis
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by goldsmithq: 9:59pm On Jun 24, 2021
NICE THREAD
Re: S.W.O.T Analysis Of Nigeria by Oyindamolah: 7:52am On Oct 03, 2021
goldsmithq:
NICE THREAD
Yes, there is a Telegram channel for what you seek, I cannot drop the link because of NL bot, you can send me a DM

(1) (Reply)

FG Appoints Adeniran Taiwo As Acting Surveyor-General / I’ll Champion Indivisible, Prosperous Nigeria, Tinubu Tells Northern Leaders / Nigerians Won't Forget Tinubu If He Implements 2014 CONFAB Report - Bode George

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.