Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,488 members, 7,823,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) (34939 Views)

My Poultry Journey... / See The Green Snake I Killed In My Farm Today (Photos) / This Is The Snake Killing My Chickens & Tampering With Their Eggs In My Poultry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by McTobe(m): 9:47am On Oct 11, 2017
EVERY NAIRALANDER IS BEGINNING TO LIKE SNAKES UNKNOWINGLY C/O LALA.
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by kenedy175(m): 9:48am On Oct 11, 2017
Adaumunocha:
King Cobra?
Nada! King Cobras are not found in this part of the world and thank God for that. They are the largest venomous snakes known to man. They are called "king" because they eat other snakes, even those that are poisonous. That's by the way sha!

All those shouting black mamba because of the color of the skin should know that isn't a black mamba. Black mambas are so called cus of the color of their mouth and mostly found in South Africa.

The snake in the picture is probably a West African spitting cobra. Thanks to Nat Geo Wild grin

5 Likes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by Judithjovial(f): 9:50am On Oct 11, 2017
kullozone:
This Lala sef... You don't have to push every snake thread to front page just because people always associate you with snakes oh! You're also allowed to disappoint them sometimes, yuyeh?
Can you imagine stupid snake post making FP while better news are allowed to waste in NL. Read Magical Messi out to conquer Russia
https://www.nairaland.com/4109683/magical-messi-sends-argentina-russia#61308844
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by femo86(m): 9:51am On Oct 11, 2017
LalalalalalaLalalalalalaLalalalalala
LalalalalalaLalalalalalaLalalalalala
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by ProjectNaija(m): 9:52am On Oct 11, 2017
Tolexander:
Black Mamba!

It is a nocturnal snake that loves swallowing hen's eggs.
It is the snake behind killing of brooding hens at home and in the bush.

Many times killed by inserting a hook and line in a boiled egg tied down. It becomes stuck after swallowing the boiled egg. Banging itself on the ground for the egg to be broken. During the process, the hook gets hooked to its intestine and starts struggling to be freed from the line.

There is a myth about it in Yoruba. They say when it grows to a certain stage, it starts developing comb like a cock, and starts crowing like a cock to attract hens. Though I have outgrown that belief.

We don't have black mambas in west africa as they are native to east and southern Africa. So it can't be a black mamba, It's probably a cobra.

2 Likes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by thatkindthing: 9:53am On Oct 11, 2017
What!! See meat tongue
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by Johnsmartinyang(m): 9:54am On Oct 11, 2017
adjoviomole:
This is not black mamba. We don't have black mambas in Nigeria. It's either a cobra.

With the current situation in Nigeria una wan add black mamba join our wahala again.

If it were a black mamba, both guys will be dead by now. Black mamba is fuc-king aggressive when threatened, and it can stand to the extent it can bite a grown man on his face. And it's very fast. It has got one of the most poisonous venom, it also bites multiple times.

Black mambas attacks it doesn't run and it's bites multiple times it's strikes at the beat of the heartbeat or blink of the eyes that's how bad it is...you can't hunt a mamba it hunts u once threatened....by the way I forgot to add it's one of the fastest in speed

3 Likes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by BluntBoy(m): 9:55am On Oct 11, 2017
Let us stop killing snakes. When next you see a snake, try and catch it and release it back into the wild or call Animal Control.
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by Lovexme(m): 9:56am On Oct 11, 2017
I find some comments here hilarious grin grin
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by lalabrother: 9:57am On Oct 11, 2017
Thats a spitting cobra
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by Judolisco(m): 9:57am On Oct 11, 2017
Tolexander:
Cobra

Many times killed by inserting a hook and line in a boiled egg tied down. It becomes stuck after swallowing the boiled egg. Banging itself on the ground for the egg to be broken. During the process, the hook gets hooked to its intestine and starts struggling to be freed from the line.

There is a myth about it in Yoruba. They say when it grows to a certain stage, it starts developing comb like a cock, and starts crowing like a cock to attract hens. Though I have outgrown that belief.
its no myth browse about it and its a cobra

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by Lovexme(m): 9:58am On Oct 11, 2017
BluntBoy:
Let us stop killing snakes. When next you see a snake, try and catch it and release it back into the wild or call Animal Control.

This is Nigeria, not the US. No such thing as Animal control, and the wild isn't at everyone's backyard.

1 Like

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 11, 2017
Tolexander:
Cobra

]
I disagree with you bro, that is not a black mamba. That should be a rattle snake or something it could even be a cobra i dont know, i cant see it clearly.

3 Likes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by dotcomnamename: 9:59am On Oct 11, 2017
This is not black mamba. Black mamba is a very wicked snake and is one of the most deadly snakes. Black mamba venom has an LD50 of 0.28 mg/kg, with enough venom in a full bite to (in theory) kill 10 humans. Trust me if it was black mamba you and the guy that supported you would have been rejected by hospital by now. Black mamba will stretch you guys go think say na inside light poly bag una dey. grin

1 Like

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by muller101(m): 9:59am On Oct 11, 2017
besticality:
Another snake gone. RIP to the black reptile. It looks like black mamba to me
black mamba is not even black in color. That's a cobra
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by swagyunglord: 10:01am On Oct 11, 2017
BluntBoy:
Animal control for Nigeria kwa grin grin undecided
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by muller101(m): 10:02am On Oct 11, 2017
kenedy175:

Nada! King Cobras are not found in this part of the world and thank God for that. They are the largest venomous snakes known to man.

All those shouting black mamba because of the color of the skin should know that isn't a black mamba. Black mambas are so called cus of the color of their mouth and mostly found in South Africa.

The snake in the picture is probably a West African spitting cobra. Thanks to Nat Geo Wild grin
And east Africa as well

2 Likes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by Eeroh95(m): 10:04am On Oct 11, 2017
Tolexander:
Cobra

I was told so too when I was still a boy
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by esbjaygmailco(m): 10:04am On Oct 11, 2017
Before some body discover snake pox again
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by LilSmith55(m): 10:06am On Oct 11, 2017
2nd Pix: No be matches be dat for the guy hand

Kai Nigeria and Snake sha

2 Likes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by LilSmith55(m): 10:07am On Oct 11, 2017
NeededGist:

]
I disagree with you bro, that is not a black mamba. That should be a rattle snake or something it could even be a cobra i dont know, i cant see it clearly.

Forget classification, Snake na Snake
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by kenedy175(m): 10:08am On Oct 11, 2017
muller101:
And east Africa as well

Okay.. thanks for that
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by BetaThings: 10:15am On Oct 11, 2017
Johnsmartinyang:

Black mambas attacks it doesn't run and it's bites multiple times it's strikes at the beat of the heartbeat or blink of the eyes that's how bad it is...you can't hunt a mamba it hunts u once threatened....by the way I forgot to add it's one of the fastest in speed

I believe that snake is a cobra which is quite easy to kill compared to a mamba

Let us modify your comments on black mamba

https://www.livescience.com/43559-black-mamba.html
These speedy serpents can move faster than most people can run, a fact that partly explains why they are so feared. Viernum said, “Black mambas are one of the fastest species of snakes, reaching slithering speed up to 12 mph [19 kph].”

However, according to National Geographic, black mambas use their incredible speed to escape threats, not to hunt

Black mambas hunt and are active during the day and return to the same place every night to sleep. According to Widescreen’s ARKive Initiative, they are often seen “basking in the branches of a tree in the early morning” before going hunting. Black mambas are sometimes found in pairs or small groups, though Viernum emphasized their fundamental shyness. She said that they are “shy and secretive snakes that prefer to escape confrontation.” Nevertheless, “black mambas can become highly aggressive if threatened. Their defensive behavior is their most distinctive behavioral characteristic.

“When threatened with no perceived available escape, these snakes will raise their upper body off the ground to stand erect,” Viernum said. Their front third of their bodies can rise 3 to 4 feet (0.9 to 1.2 m) off the ground. Then, they will “spread their cobra-like neck flaps [and] gape their mouths to expose the black lining.” This is a defensive posture aiming to scare away the threat. If black mambas need to attack to defend themselves, they will “strike repeatedly, potentially deliver large doses of venom with each strike, and hiss loudly.” Then, they’ll slither away as fast as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_mamba
During the threat display, any sudden movement by the intruder may provoke the mamba into a series of rapid strikes leading to severe envenomation. Also, the size of the black mamba, plus its ability to raise its head well off the ground, enable it to launch as much as 40% of its body length upwards, so mamba bites in humans quite often are on the upper body.This behaviour also permits the snake to land a strike at unexpectedly long range
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by BetaThings: 10:18am On Oct 11, 2017
LilSmith55:

Forget classification, Snake na Snake

Please never ever make that mistake
Both lions and antelopes are animals, but

Seriously a rattlesnake will warn and you can find your way to kill it
A cobra can be killed the way these guys cornered it
A python uses strength because it does not have venom and can be killed easily when people are in a group
But imagine a black mamba!
It can move very fast and strike the upper part of the body of a man and repeatedly!

So the safe distance for a cobra differs very much from that of a mamba

2 Likes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by BetaThings: 10:22am On Oct 11, 2017
NeededGist:

]

There is no rattesnake in Nigeria
and the tail of a rattle snake is unique and it is the source of its name, it rattles

1 Like

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by RapportNaija(m): 10:25am On Oct 11, 2017
PrincessBecks:
Snakes!

I can't even near them talk more of making a kill.

Jeez!!!
hello
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by BetaThings: 10:27am On Oct 11, 2017
Judithjovial:

Can you imagine stupid snake post making FP while better news are allowed to waste in NL. Read Magical Messi out to conquer Russia
https://www.nairaland.com/4109683/magical-messi-sends-argentina-russia#61308844

Messi is not a threat; his goals can invade only the net of the posts of the Ecuadorian side 3 times! Nothing more
But a snake can come calling at your poultry
I beg this is more important
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by Myself2(m): 10:28am On Oct 11, 2017
jimohibrahim:
because it's black some clueless people says it's a black mamba...you can only know a black mamba by his black mouth when he opens his mouth. That's a forest spitting cobra.

Why call the fellow clueless He was just saying what he thought he knew.

So you sabi snakes pass am, so fvcking what

Some people sha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by hardon1(m): 10:29am On Oct 11, 2017
adjoviomole:
This is not black mamba. We don't have black mambas in Nigeria. It's either a cobra.

With the current situation in Nigeria una wan add black mamba join our wahala again.

If it were a black mamba, both guys will be dead by now. Black mamba is fuc-king aggressive when threatened, and it can stand to the extent it can bite a grown man on his face. And it's very fast. It has got one of the most poisonous venom, it also bites multiple times.

no talk wetin u nor know. Mambers (both green and black) are abundant in nigeria
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by BetaThings: 10:31am On Oct 11, 2017
BluntBoy:
Funniest post ever
Tokunbo Nigerians

Please what is the phone number of Animal Control?
And please can I release it into the wild behind your house
The wild behind my house will be burnt to keep snakes and crocodiles at bay

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) by Centurion04: 10:33am On Oct 11, 2017
It's not a black mamba o, but a spitting cobra.. Very dangerous snake though.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Hidden Profit In Storage Business / Blind & Deaf Rice Farmer In Taraba With A Paralysed Left Hand (Photos) / 9 Interesting Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Rice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.