Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,932 members, 7,952,756 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:19 PM

The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. (8555 Views)

Volunteers And Committee Needed In Literature Section / Centino Wins May Literature Section 5K Award / What's The Best Story You've Ever Read Here On Literature Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by DarkRebel69: 3:46pm On Oct 14, 2017
As someone rightly pointed out, the OP suffers a severe case of superiority complex. A discerning fellow also insinuated that the original poster might have tunnel vision, and I'm inclined to agree with that diagnosis.

I saw this dross some days ago,—this dross which the OP in his warped mind believes to be ''constructive criticism"—but I quickly dismissed it as some rant by some angry, little teenager.

The fact is, if you direct your attention to the top part of the Nairaland homepage on your phone, you would see where it's indicated that there are 3,852,374 topics on Nairaland. (I'm betting the ones wiped out in that year when Nairaland was hacked are not included)

I reckon there are 39 sections on Nairaland. I am meticulous, but not meticulous enough–certainly not lonely nor nerdy enough–to set out counting the number of sub-sections that are on Nairaland.

But I surmise that there's an average of three sub-sections for every section. For example, under Romance section, we have (i) Sexuality section and (ii) Dating/Meet-up section.

So, if we were to multiply the 39 sections by 3, we would have an estimated total of 117 sections.
We shall round up the 3,852,374 topics to 3,900,000 topics so as to ease computation. Now, if we are going to get a rough estimate of the total numbers of topics ever created on Literature section, we would divide 3,900,000 by 117, and that leaves us with 33,333 topics.
Of course not every topic is going to be a story, or a novella, or a novel. And so let's divide the 33,333 topics by 2, which leaves us with 16,666 topics. And, of course, not every one of those 16,666 topics is going to be a story worth reading, so let's divide 16,666 by 2 again so as to give us an estimation of the sum total of all the good stories on Nairaland's Literature section. 16,666 topics ÷ 2 = 8,333 topics.

There you go, people. We have roughly 8,333 good stories on Nairaland and yet the OP said he has read only "over 60" stories out of the 8,333 good stories and 8,333 bad stories (He hasn't even read up to 100). And yet he thinks he has made a rational judgement.
Mathematically, the OP is an idïot. Diplomacy wise, he is gauche and lacks crucial soft skills. Psychology wise, he's a narcissist. And linguistics wise, he could do without the unneccesary verbosity.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by crazypencils20: 3:59pm On Oct 14, 2017
MrScribe:

but a piece of advice to quit.

Wow great piece of advice, I'm totally convinced that people you advice do very well in life. ��

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by repogirl(f): 4:31pm On Oct 14, 2017
Okay, since Bukky called me, I decided to pass by with my bag of popcorn, it's been really interesting.

My advice to writers is to be like chimamanda Adichie, pay no mind to critics, just do your thing. The more you write, the better you become.

If writers were so awesome all the time, Editors wouldn't make a living.

Kayo80 and Bukky, you guys should ignore attention seekers. They waste your time and get you unnecessarily upset. You only give them credence when you reply them. In the end,you come out looking like the bad person because you are the one who people read and look up to in this section, not the OP who has nothing to lose.

If you have a story and you want to let it out, do so with all confidence and don't be bothered about what some delusional and egotistic narcissist, who can't write a simple story to save his soul thinks.

6 Likes

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Creeza(m): 4:41pm On Oct 14, 2017
DarkRebel69:
As someone rightly pointed out, the OP suffers a severe case of superiority complex. A discerning fellow also insinuated that the original poster might have tunnel vision, and I'm inclined to agree with that diagnosis.

I saw this dross some days ago,—this dross which the OP in his warped mind believes to be ''constructive criticism"—but I quickly dismissed it as some rant by some angry, little teenager.

The fact is, if you direct your attention to the top part of the Nairaland homepage on your phone, you would see where it's indicated that there are 3,852,374 topics on Nairaland. (I'm betting the ones wiped out in that year when Nairaland was hacked are not included)

I reckon there are 39 sections on Nairaland. I am meticulous, but not meticulous enough–certainly not lonely nor nerdy enough–to set out counting the number of sub-sections that are on Nairaland.

But I *surmise*
that there's an average of three sub-sections for every section. For example, under Romance section, we have (i) Sexuality section and (ii) Dating/Meet-up section.

So, if we were to multiply the 39 sections by 3, we would have an estimated total of 117 sections.
We shall round up the 3,852,374 topics to 3,900,000 topics so as to ease computation. Now, if we are going to get a rough estimate of the total numbers of topics ever created on Literature section, we would divide 3,900,000 by 117, and that leaves us with 33,333 topics.
Of course not every topic is going to be a story, or a novella, or a novel. And so let's divide the 33,333 topics by 2, which leaves us with 16,666 topics. And, of course, not every one of those 16,666 topics is going to be a story worth reading, so let's divide 16,666 by 2 again so as to give us an estimation of the sum total of all the good stories on Nairaland's Literature section. 16,666 topics ÷ 2 = 8,333 topics.

There you go, people. We have roughly 8,333 good stories on Nairaland and yet the OP said he has read only "over 60" stories out of the 8,333 good stories and 8,333 bad stories (He hasn't even read up to 100). And yet he thinks he has made a rational judgement.
Mathematically, the OP is an idïot. Diplomacy wise, he is gauche and lacks crucial soft skills. Psychology wise, he's a narcissist. And linguistics wise, he could do without the unneccesary verbosity.

I know a brainaic when I see one. Fantastastic ! Simply wow! Grand-freaking-deur!

The tone though, I might think it to be just me, giving there are instances- atleast five in ten observations- where people have the same ink voice. And I aptly, but presumably narrow yours to one Nobel Laurette whose works spin and toss me countless times, when I read them : Wole Soyinka grin

1 Like

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Creeza(m): 4:48pm On Oct 14, 2017
repogirl:
Okay, since Bukky called me, I decided to pass by with my bag of popcorn, it's been really interesting.

My advice to writers is to be like chimamanda Adichie, pay no mind to critics, just do your thing. The more you write, the better you become.

If writers were so awesome all the time, Editors wouldn't make a living.

Kayo80 and Bukky, you guys should ignore attention seekers. They waste your time and get you unnecessarily upset. You only give them credence when you reply them. In the end,you come out looking like the bad person because you are the one who people read and look up to in this section, not the OP who has nothing to lose.

If you have a story and you want to let it out, do so with all confidence and don't be bothered about what some delusional and egotistic narcissist, who can't write a simple story to save his soul thinks.
o wanbe! grin OYA O. Aunty Repo has finished talk for op head. Oti kun o!! His thread has awoken the Lit. Section Hall of Fame... Legends will come here to chop this guy raw.

See me gawking at him like a goat grin GAWK GAWK GAWK.

Aunty bibijay123 come o abeg

3 Likes

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 14, 2017
DarkRebel69:

But I surmise that there's an average of three sub-sections for every section. For example, under Romance section, we have (i) Sexuality section and (ii) Dating/Meet-up section.

OMG. I just fell in love with you. embarassed embarassed
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by DarkRebel69: 5:27pm On Oct 14, 2017
Creeza:
I know a brainaic when I see one. Fantastastic ! Simply wow! Grand-freaking-deur!

The tone though, I might think it to be just me, giving there are instances- atleast five in ten observations- where people have the same ink voice. And I aptly, but presumably narrow yours to one Nobel Laurette whose works spin and toss me countless times, when I read them : Wole Soyinka grin

Why, this is an "insultive dithyramb". smiley
Insultive because by saying that my ink voice is like that of Prof. Soyinka , you are detracting from my individuality. And it's a dithyramb because by likening my ink voice to that of the good professor, you are doing me a profound honour–one I'm hardly worthy of (For now anyway). Like I said, "insultive dithyramb". grin

I do love the works of the good professor. I should be able to recall at least 3 of his poems from memory. "Telephone Conversation" in particular is deeply etched in my memory. I couldn't forget it even if I wanted to.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Creeza(m): 5:40pm On Oct 14, 2017
DarkRebel69:

Why, this is an "insultive dithyramb". smiley
Insultive because by saying that my ink voice is like that of Prof. Soyinka , you are detracting from my individuality. And it's a dithyramb because by likening my ink voice to that of the good professor, you are doing me a profound honour–one I'm hardly worthy of (For now anyway). Like I said, "insultive dithyramb". grin

I do love the works of the good professor. I should be able to recall at least 3 of his poems from memory. "Telephone Conversation" in particular is deeply etched in my memory. I couldn't forget it even if I wanted to.
grin Im still trying to escape the lacunae of mind maps and brain frying bots, yes bots in grammatical equi-sanity his authobiographical account of his stay in kirikiri, has left me. There my friend, is one lengthy and disturbing sentence.

But alas 'the Man dies ' in everyone that keeps shut in the face of tryanny and destructive criticism.

Thank you for standing up for writers on the platform. smiley

The prof indeed, has a student, hopefully, a near future Prof . DARKrebel... In you my friend. wink

respect!!
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by kayo80(m): 6:03pm On Oct 14, 2017
Thanks repogirl, DarkRebel69, crazypencils20, etc. I almost lost it for a minute there. I was more pissed at the writers taking sides with the assshole. I don't mind constructive critisism, but what the OP posted was far from it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by DarkRebel69: 6:05pm On Oct 14, 2017
Creeza:
grin Im still trying to escape the lacunae of mind maps and brain frying bots, yes bots in grammatical equi-sanity his authobiographical account of his stay in kirikiri, has left me. There my friend, is one lengthy and disturbing sentence.

But alas 'the Man dies ' in everyone that keeps shut in the face of tryanny and destructive criticism.

Smooth. But alas! For tonight, the man dies in him who abandons Dan Brown's "Origin" on page 356 to come indulge in idle badinage on Nairaland. cheesy
Now, if you would excuse me, my friend, I need to get back to my Dan Brown before I settle down to some La Liga action this evening (Barça vs A.Madrid).

Thank you for standing up for writers on the platform. smiley

The prof indeed, has a student, hopefully, a near future Prof . DARKrebel... In you my friend. wink

respect!!

No, it won't be Prof. Darkrebel. It would be Prof. (My surname–which, if you must know, is one ten-lettered, bizarre-sounding, tongue-twisting Yoruba word. grin)

1 Like

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by festwiz(m): 6:10pm On Oct 14, 2017
That was one rather long episode, certainly enjoyed it. Thanks to those that fought for the honour of the guys over at the literature section. You guys are awesome. Especially kayo80 and divepen1.

1 Like

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by DarkRebel69: 6:16pm On Oct 14, 2017
Lawlahdey:
OMG. I just fell in love with you. embarassed embarassed

I'm trying to love you back, but there is this girl I know (her name is Ololade as well–fiesty, hot chick), and we are both, sadly, mortal enemies–occasionally frienemies. So you see, White coat effect is at play here. I'm trying to love back, but your monicker is associated with a not-so-pleasant memory. It's like a Jew trying to love an Igbo woman named NAZIchukwu (I'm pretty certain that's not even an igbo name grin)
Maybe if you could change your name to Oyindamola, then loving you back wouldn't be such an uphill task.

You seem familiar by the way (No, this is not "toasting strategy". I'm actually being earnest). Pray, did you once have a Nairaland account, or do you still own a Nairaland account besides this one whose monicker begins with the letter "M" and ends with the letter "E"?

1 Like

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 14, 2017
DarkRebel69:

I'm trying to love you back, but there is this girl I know (her name is Ololade as well–fiesty, hot chick), and we are both, sadly, mortal enemies–occasionally frienemies. So you see, White coat effect is at play here. I'm trying to love back, but your monicker is associated with a not-so-pleasant memory. It's like a Jew trying to love an Igbo woman named NAZIchukwu (I'm pretty certain that's not even an igbo name grin)
Maybe if you could change your name to Oyindamola, then loving you back wouldn't be such an uphill task.

You seem familiar by the way (No, this is not "toasting strategy". I'm actually being earnest). Pray, did you once have a Nairaland account, or do you still own a Nairaland account besides this one whose monicker begins with the letter "M" and ends with the letter "E"?
Lol. You are quite funny. Lolade isn't my actual name though, it's a pet/adopted name.

And yes, I am mariinee but this is my main.
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Divepen1(m): 7:04pm On Oct 14, 2017
festwiz:
That was one rather long episode, certainly enjoyed it. Thanks to those that fought for the honour of the guys over at the literature section. You guys are awesome. Especially kayo80 and divepen1.
Kayo80 did most of the works. Kudos to him

2 Likes

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by DarkRebel69: 7:21pm On Oct 14, 2017
Lawlahdey:
Lol. You are quite funny. Lolade isn't my actual name though, it's a pet/adopted name.

And yes, I am mariinee but this is my main.

I knew it! I never forget a face...ever!
You are quite easy on the eyes. And, why are you wearing a bra? Isn't it supposed be "No bra day week?"
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by LarrySun(m): 7:38pm On Oct 14, 2017
MrScribe:

Nothing destructive about that, in my opinion, of course. If we want to save Literature, we have to weed out mediocrity. No good critic has the patience for bad writing. Quote me anywhere.
A lot of writers here would get better through loving encouragement. They don't claim to be the best; they just want to get better. There's a better way to criticise. If you think there's no good writer in this section, then leave. You don't need to complain about the heat, just get out of the kitchen. If you can't encourage them, don't kill their passions. The world can be a better place, it's left for the living to make it so.

Bless you, sir.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by EvaJael(f): 8:15pm On Oct 14, 2017
DarkRebel69:

Holy! I promised myself I wouldn't comment on this page but you made me break my promise. Your words and analysis of the whole situation are so on point. You just wrapped everything up so well like hot moi moi and threw it at the dude. Blessings fall on you jare. You're incredible!

1 Like

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 14, 2017
DarkRebel69:

I knew it! I never forget a face...ever!
You are quite easy on the eyes. And, why are you wearing a bra? Isn't it supposed be "No bra day week?"
LOL. I thought that was mainly for females with cancer?
I don't really get what you mean by me being easy on the eye?
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by DarkRebel69: 8:35pm On Oct 14, 2017
Lawlahdey:
LOL. I thought that was mainly for females with cancer?
I don't really get what you mean by me being easy on the eye?

It's just a day to create awareness for breast cancer. It's not "mainly for females with cancer".

It means you are a fine girl. Do you need a boyfriend? tongue
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 14, 2017
DarkRebel69:

It's just a day to create awareness for breast cancer. It's not "mainly for females with cancer".

It means you are a fine girl? Do you need a boyfriend? tongue
Oh! I actually didn't know that. I'm on my #no bra mode then, LOL.

Yes oh. I need a boyfriend, with taati billion in his account. kiss
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by kanayoNickel: 9:04pm On Oct 14, 2017
hmmmm....the great authors don land

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Daeylar(f): 7:32pm On Oct 15, 2017

1 Like

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by AryEmber(f): 7:46pm On Oct 15, 2017
Daeylar:

Wow, just wow, this is just.....
Finishing from all Angles.

We should have just closed the thread after this post.
Are You Kidding Me? Divepen1 killed it with that Buddha stuff! I totally fell in love with his post,never in my life will I make him see red!
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Daeylar(f): 7:48pm On Oct 15, 2017
Lilyjoe567:

Hello Mr THT80,

So I've gone through the first, and now to this current page and seen all comments but one really stuck. The one with the constructive and destructive criticism.

It's okay to criticise, fine we even need it. But it's very wrong to condemn every persons work on here just because you think it's not up to per standard, cause what you did is just destroy some people's morale.

Some of us here are introverts and writing is what makes our voices be heard in a way. But you doing this right now has done more damage than you could possibly imagine

You read something and didn't like it, fine, you could've just pointed out where the persons went wrong, not condemn everyone's work that they've worked so hard on.

We're not all professionals. Some might be, but some aren't, so it's not right to openly be mean, cause that's what you are. And you are egotistical, not sure if you know it though. But I have a feeling you do

So next time you feel the need to say something in a public forum, grab a book and a pen and write the things you wanna say. When you're done, read what you've written, and if you read it and a little, if not much just that little part of you feels it's gonna hurt a lot of people, then tear it off and begin again in a fresh page till you can come up with a nicer way of saying it

And to all you wonderful people trying to stand up for all writers on here. You guys are all amazing

And sorry this is coming a bit late

This was very nice,
He is just going from section to section causing trouble everywhere

2 Likes

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Daeylar(f): 7:50pm On Oct 15, 2017
kayo80:

You could say this if your criticism was constructive, but it definitely wasn't. It is obvious you have tunnel vision when it comes to literary works and expect every form of writing to be one-way. And it is also obvious you have never created anything before, that is why you are so quick to tear down people's works.

Now look at some parts of your initial post and tell me you didn't blatantly disrespect all the great writers in this section.

"I haven't been able to make it past a single paragraph of any story I have clicked on, DESPITE READING OVER 60 STORIES ON THIS BOARD."

"The writers who managed to utilize proper grammar in their first paragraphs were just terribly uncreative with words and the expositions and descriptions were like something you'd read from the transcript of AN UNEDUCATED 8 YEAR OLD NARRATING AN ORDEAL."

"The imagery I got from the ones I managed to read past a sentence were dull, ugly, uninspiring frames and shapes that EVOKED DISGUST AND ALMOST MADE ME GAG AS THEY AROSE IN MY MIND."

If you call the above CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, there must be something wrong with your brain. I have a background in Psychology, and it is very clear you have a case of superiority complex. It took you five paragraphs to get to your point in your initial post. You were too busy displaying your use of the English Language (which is great by the way), which was a sign that you were really trying to show off your skills than constructively criticize anyone.

You can come back with another response, and try to bamboozle me with your big grammar, but deep down you know what I have said above is the bitter truth. And please, I would love if you could (in your leisure time) 'try' and write a short story of about 2,000 words. You don't have to post it here, just attempt it, and when you are done, do a critique of it. Thank you.

Wow, he said all that?
I didn't even read the trash he wrote because I've seen him go from section to section antagonizing everyone but that is too bad,

No wonder you were so pissed.

1 Like

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by DarkRebel69: 8:21pm On Oct 15, 2017
Daeylar:

Wow, just wow, this is just.....
Finishing from all Angles.

We should have just closed the thread after this post.

You have my attention. Anything else you want to say?
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by greeeneyes(m): 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2017
http://imbube.org/contestants/our-hands-are-sticks-and-our-chests-are-drums/

Hi fellow writers, kindly vote for me by following the link, take timeout to read the story and vote (even if you dont read the story). God bless... it's a short story competition
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Daeylar(f): 8:26pm On Oct 15, 2017
DarkRebel69:

You have my attention. Anything else you want to say?

Said what I had to say, you made a lot of sense especially with that paragraph i bolded and I just had to point it out.
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by DarkRebel69: 8:28pm On Oct 15, 2017
Daeylar:

Said what I had to say, you made a lot of sense especially with that paragraph i bolded and I just had to point it out.

So we are not going to address the "elephant in the room?" Interesting. grin
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Daeylar(f): 8:29pm On Oct 15, 2017
DarkRebel69:

No elephants. No rooms
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by DarkRebel69: 8:32pm On Oct 15, 2017
Daeylar:

No elephants. No rooms

You could have at least told me why. The reason behind the "no elephants and no rooms". Courtesy demands it.
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Daeylar(f): 8:36pm On Oct 15, 2017
DarkRebel69:

You could have at least told me why. The reason behind the "no elephants and no rooms". Courtesy demands it.

The reason behind the no elephant and no rooms is because you said this
DarkRebel69:

That's why I said no elephants and no rooms smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Lost My Freedom To Anger- A Short Story / I AND Marcel(gay Story , Written By Chidera Chokolate) / The Lady In Red

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.