Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,660 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. (8240 Views)

Volunteers And Committee Needed In Literature Section / Centino Wins May Literature Section 5K Award / What's The Best Story You've Ever Read Here On Literature Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by DarkRebel69: 8:38pm On Oct 15, 2017
Daeylar:

The reason behind the no elephant and no rooms is because you said this

That's why I said no elephants and no rooms smiley

You think you're funny? You think this is funny? SMH.
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by kayo80(m): 10:02pm On Oct 15, 2017
Daeylar:

Wow, he said all that?
I didn't even read the trash he wrote because I've seen him go from section to section antagonizing everyone but that is too bad,

No wonder you were so pissed.

Yea, that's why i was pissed. Dude is a narcissist...It is clear from his other posts on Nairaland.
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by NPComplete: 7:59am On Oct 17, 2017
kayo80:

You could say this if your criticism was constructive, but it definitely wasn't. It is obvious you have tunnel vision when it comes to literary works and expect every form of writing to be one-way. And it is also obvious you have never created anything before, that is why you are so quick to tear down people's works.

Now look at some parts of your initial post and tell me you didn't blatantly disrespect all the great writers in this section.

"I haven't been able to make it past a single paragraph of any story I have clicked on, DESPITE READING OVER 60 STORIES ON THIS BOARD."

"The writers who managed to utilize proper grammar in their first paragraphs were just terribly uncreative with words and the expositions and descriptions were like something you'd read from the transcript of AN UNEDUCATED 8 YEAR OLD NARRATING AN ORDEAL."

"The imagery I got from the ones I managed to read past a sentence were dull, ugly, uninspiring frames and shapes that EVOKED DISGUST AND ALMOST MADE ME GAG AS THEY AROSE IN MY MIND."

If you call the above CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, there must be something wrong with your brain. I have a background in Psychology, and it is very clear you have a case of superiority complex. It took you five paragraphs to get to your point in your initial post. You were too busy displaying your use of the English Language (which is great by the way), which was a sign that you were really trying to show off your skills than constructively criticize anyone.

You can come back with another response, and try to bamboozle me with your big grammar, but deep down you know what I have said above is the bitter truth. And please, I would love if you could (in your leisure time) 'try' and write a short story of about 2,000 words. You don't have to post it here, just attempt it, and when you are done, do a critique of it. Thank you.

You said the absolute truth about that guy. You have profiled him very accurately. He has been going about other threads and sections doing the same thing. But trust Nairaland na, they quickly showed him his place.

2 Likes

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by MaziOmenuko: 6:28am On Oct 19, 2017
Who's this ignorant troll?

#pathetic!

4 Likes

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by festwiz(m): 6:42am On Oct 19, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Who's this ignorant troll?

#pathetic!
Long Live the Chief shocked
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by kingsfield(m): 3:18pm On Oct 19, 2017
OP write urs let's see.
Thumbs up to Yewande/Kimberlywest

1 Like

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by nijabazaar: 6:27pm On Oct 19, 2017
OP, the fire you kindled...is still burning Rome

1 Like

Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 20, 2017
THT80:

It's worrying how badly most people react to constructive criticism. If our conspicuous errors aren't pointed out to us, how then can we grow? How do we expect to move forward and improve in areas we've insinuated ourselves into? Wouldn't we just be wallowing in the muddy waters of mediocrity, all the while existing under the blind illusion that we are swimming in the warm springs of proficiency and progress? We should develop a different response to criticism. One that doesn't further illuminate our ignorance, but one that deems us worthy of further correction and guidance.

Your response to criticism is as appalling and as pathetic as the writing in all the stories I have read on this board, and it bespeaks of a tacit acknowledgement of the poverty of good writing inherent in this forum.
People respond this way when their ego is hurt from seeing the painful truth about themselves. When the ego is wounded it can push a person to react angrily, as someone possessed by a vindictive poltergeist, rambling incoherently without making a modicum of sense, spiting vitrols, casting aspersions and employing the use of swear words, just to heal it's wounds, but all the while forgetting that the only way to heal itself is to accept the truth and make concerted efforts to receive and apply correction.

How can I enjoy reading when I have to write the material that I'll read? And where is the diversity in reading when all I read is material written by established writers and foreigners? Shouldn't I be able to say that I have read something of worth from young Nigerians as myself? Do you know how painful it is to discover the so called biggest forum in West Africa only to arrive at it's literature section and be greeted by writing that evokes the feeling of vomiting?

Yes. Excellence is a product of skill, hardwork and determination. But you failed to include practice. And one doesn't practice by crafting an unimaginative and poorly written story and uploading it's full content on a forum that's essentially a microcosm of Nigeria, and one that can be easily accessed by anyone in the world, thereby potentially reinforcing the narrative that black people, especially the ones residing in Africa, have low IQs, since it would require some level of intelligence to write something that doesn't make people puke at.

He actually wrote consistency and using derogatory words like vomiting is not constructive criticism. There are better ways to pass your message without sounding like a bully.
Re: The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. by bakeuhappy: 8:07pm On Oct 23, 2017
I love reading. I enjoy reading all kinds of written material. I read non fiction books, fictional novels, column articles, blog posts, short stories and poetry.
I am not usually selective about the genre or category of whatever written material I stumble upon, but what I am selective about however, is the quality of writing. I enjoy reading because it provides me the opportunity to feast at the table of knowledge prepared by the author and to consume from his indispensable plate of information. But just like most book lovers, I enjoy reading because of the entertainment I derive from it.
Inspite of these reasons, there is also another reason why I read; I read to expose myself to brilliant, colourful writing.

There are various forms by which beauty expresses itself, but the form of which I have recently began to acknowledge and enjoy, is the form of writing.
For me, nothing is more beautiful and titilating to my senses as a well written sentence - A sentence so well crafted that it not only conveys the message of the writer with profound clarity, but it also engages and activates my other senses to the point where words are transformed to images and images to sounds and sounds to palpable sensations. I have acquired a rare gift of associating words with imagery. When I read a particular sentence, images that denote that sentence begin to automatically arise in my mind and I am uncannily able to describe the form of that image, and the degree of complexity, colourfulness and elegance of the image directly corresponds to the quality of the written sentence.

It's really sad to say that of the little time I have spent perusing this section with the intention of finding something worthy of me devoting my time to read, I have found nothing of the sort. I mean no disrespect to the writers here, but please if you must engage in the timeless art of writing, make sure you are skilled enough to write. I haven't been able to make it past a single paragraph of any story I have clicked on, despite reading over sixty stories on this board. Majority of the stories I read were poorly worded and riddled with bad grammer. The writers who managed to utilize proper grammar in their first paragraphs were just terribly uncreative with words and the expositions and descriptions were like something you'd read from the transcript of an uneducated 8 year old narrating an ordeal. The imagery I got from the ones I managed to read past a sentence were dull, ugly, uninspiring frames and shapes that evoked disgust and almost made me gag as they arose in my mind.

If we must adopt a language as our common language, I expect that we should excel at that language, in every area, whether it's in speaking or in writing. There shouldn't be a noticeable difference between us and the manufacturers of the language or any other speaking group in terms of quality and proficiency. So if we must write in English, then we must excel in it. We shouldn't be mediocre. We shouldn't display any form of ineptitude in any area of writing. We should strive to be masters of the art. We shouldn't dabble into writing because we feel everyone is doing it, or because we experienced a transcendental moment where we received word from our divine creator that writing was our calling. Even if we believe writing is our calling, we should at least learn the art before deciding to try our hands at it, and the best way to learn how to write is to read the writing of exceptionally good writers. And not reading with the intention of just entertaining ourselves, but reading to emulate the quality of their writing. And even when we feel we have learned enough, we should first compare our written work with the writing of professionals before we decide to potentially embarrass ourselves by uploading them on a public forum for all to see and read.

I really hope my message has been received.

In response to your observation. I have this to say to you.: I appreciate that, you took time out to write this length of words just to show your disdain .. Need I say this I'm rather impressed by your use of lexis and structure..

If you say this is constructive criticism then I must say that the gods are actually crazy.

Many of these writers take time out of their busy schedule to write just to entertain and educate people without receiving a dime and the best you can say is you haven't been able to read pass more than one paragraph because many of them are poorly worded and riddled with bad grammer.
It's a big shame that talents like yours is being wasted and not put to good use.

I strongly advice that the time in which you use to reply comments that you use it to pen a story which will not only educate, entertain but also help us know the quality of what you term as perfect.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buchi Emecheta, Exit Of A Rock Of Feminism / Do You Blog? / The Fate Of Nigerian Writers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.