Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,545 members, 7,823,390 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? (7008 Views)

10 Real-life Inspirations For Comic Book Characters / Uchiha Madara Vs Marvel Comic Heroes / Comic Actors Sanyeri And Oleyo Dethrone Mr. Latin And Babasuwe As King Of Comedy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 12:21pm On Jun 07, 2005
I just wondering if there are any comic book fans in this forum.

I personally have a collection of thousands of them!

Holla Back.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by LeMoor(m): 1:09pm On Jun 07, 2005
Hey Viera,

I am a Comic Book Fan. Dont have any collections any more...
But I am still up to date...

BTW...Your name sounds farmiliar..have we met??
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by dafman(m): 3:48pm On Jun 07, 2005
I'm a comic book fan too, sure like to have some. Any ideas how that can be possible? hit me up, sure love to hear from you
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 4:14pm On Jun 07, 2005
cool to hear from you dafman.

I take it you are located in Nigeria? I do not know where to get comics in Nigeria but in the UK there are shops all over the place.

Do they actually still allow comics to be imported into Nigeria?
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by jogego(m): 4:43pm On Jun 07, 2005
What kinda comics? I was crazy about marvel comics in secondary school. Now I still read comics especially Tintin, Asterix and any othe one. But basically I read any kinda comics. Just remembered Commando comics back in secondary school then. Roy of the Rovers, Buster, Whizzer & chips, Beano read all this in primary school. And in the 70's there was the nigerian ones POP and POWERMAN
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 4:46pm On Jun 07, 2005
I have read all those you mentioned at one time or the other but now I mainly read DC and Marvel plus a few others.

I am into Superheroes mainly and I am happy about all these new movies with heroes in them.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by demmy(m): 5:07pm On Jun 07, 2005
There is this site called Afrocommerce with some old Nigerian comic magazines e.g Papa Ajasco, Boy Alinko and Miss Pepeiye. Enjoy
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by dafman(m): 10:07am On Jun 09, 2005
Vieira:

cool to hear from you dafman.

I take it you are located in Nigeria? I do not know where to get comics in Nigeria but in the UK there are shops all over the place.

Do they actually still allow comics to be imported into Nigeria?

yeah i'm in Nigeria. I love marvel and dc comics too, i used to get them in a bookstore but their titles are limited infact you might see the same comic book for months. I'm sure imports are still allowed just that not many people import them. any idea how i can get some?
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 10:26am On Jun 09, 2005
Well I am not sure dafman, what is the postal situation like in Nigeria? Do they deliver promptly?

You could order them online and have it delivered I suppose.

some of the Marvel comics are actually posted online: http://www.marvel.com/dotcomics/index.htm
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by dafman(m): 10:46am On Jun 09, 2005
The postal situation is a lot better than it used to be, i get some other mags abroad delivered. I've tried the site you pasted before but they don't deliver to nigeria, i don't know why.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 11:46am On Jun 09, 2005
that site actually was just for you to read online.

If you want sites for buying comics and delivering then I'll get some.

be right back.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 11:52am On Jun 09, 2005
Here you go:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/order/

http://www.forbiddenplanet.com/index2.html

try the first one as they are very popular, you can also use http://www.amazon.com but they will only stock trades.

Trades may be a better idea for Nigeria, Trades are big comics that collect many issues all in one.

For example instead of buy Spiderman 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for about £2 each you can buy a trade that collects all 6 in one book and will propbably cost only £10.

I hope this helps
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by dafman(m): 11:50am On Jun 10, 2005
I'll try the sites, thanks for the info...
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Chxta(m): 10:37pm On Jul 13, 2005
Used to collect them, stopped when it became a pain. Now I download them...

Have lots and lots. My favourites being Frank Miller's Sin City, Blood Legacy, Green Lantern: Rebirth and Legion of Super Heroes.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 1:58pm On Jul 14, 2005
Cool books you mentioned and have all of them except Blood Legacy, I don't think I have ever seen that one.

Is it any good?

So what Green Lantern do you like? Hal, John, Kyle or G.u.y?

I am a G.u.y fan!

PS:why is this forum translating g.u.y into boy??
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by jogego(m): 6:14pm On Jul 16, 2005
I have always been a Marvel person. Spiderman, Thor, IronMan, Daredevil,Fantastci Four,Powerman & Ironfist, Xmen, and the list goes on. This were some of my favorites.

I remember saving up my allowance back then to go and buy comics. There was a comic store in Lacostech( Now Laspoly) and we used to go there at least once a week. I remember buying the annuals every year.

I did like Superman, Justice League from DC universe but I never went out of my way to buy them. I would exchange my own for them though.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by WesleyanA(f): 6:46am On Sep 05, 2005
who reads anime here? i really don't but i have a friend who's an anime freak.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by gbadex1(m): 6:07pm On Nov 23, 2005
hi everyone. plz i'll like to ask.... does anyone know anything about the lagos comic convention held last year? i've been trying to know the nigerian comics that were exhibited there, but all to no avail.

i know of some cowrie comics but i think they are not so interesting as marvel or dc.

if you know anything about the comic convention held last year, holla bacc wink
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Ashbaby(f): 8:04pm On Jan 11, 2006
Any Archie fans in the house?
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Icon(m): 6:11pm On Jan 18, 2006
Archie, jughead (who likes food), reggie (archie's main rival), betty (pretty millionare's daughter), veronica (pretty blond whom archie didnt like as much as betty). Nice comics with lots of cute girls. Im surd those are still in circulation.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Ashbaby(f): 9:04pm On Jan 18, 2006
I can't get enough of them! After a long day, flip through one, and you'll have a terribly good laugh! smiley
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 1:28pm On Feb 22, 2006
Icon:

Archie, jughead (who likes food), reggie (archie's main rival), betty (pretty millionare's daughter), veronica (pretty blond whom archie didnt like as much as betty). Nice comics with lots of cute girls. I'm surd those are still in circulation.

You have mixed up Betty and Veronica

Betty is the blonde and Veronica is the rich one.

Geek Talking!
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 11:08am On Apr 24, 2006
dafman, did you manage to get any of the comics from the sites?
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by dafman(m): 3:11pm On Apr 24, 2006
Hey Viera, long time, well i tried the websites, the others use credit cards and i don't think they will deliver to nigeria if you pay through that option, the one i
found convenient is this www.milehighcomics.com because they accept cash. Though I've not placed an order yet cos i was doubting nipost then but I'll give it a try.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 3:22pm On Apr 24, 2006
That's cool dafman. See if they can use UPS or someother reliable carrier.

Also you might be better off ordering graphic novels rather than the individual comics.

That is what I have decided to start buying for myself.

They always collect like 6 issues into one big book and it works out cheaper that way and easier to store.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/3F7R4UHGTI0H2/026-8092723-0926822

Good luck o!

if you have a good internet connection you can download some comics in electronic form for free.

Try bittorrents
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by dafman(m): 3:39pm On Apr 24, 2006
Thanks viera, i'll try that, I guess ups is the best choice at least i'll be sure of my money.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Seun(m): 10:47pm On Jul 26, 2006
I'm going to try getting some cheap ones through abebooks.com soon.

dafman, did you succeed in getting any from milehighcomics?
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by grafikdon: 11:54pm On Jul 26, 2006
Diehard Spawn Fan in the house. I have a huge collection of Spawn. In the past I extended my hands toBatman, Spiderman, Justice League, Black Hood, Agent Liberty, Superman (all the four series: Superman, Man of Steel, Adventures can't remember the last one) All the characyters are still fresh in my memory. Right now I am only collecting Spawn since it appears to be the only one 'dark enough for' me. Was into those black and white WWII comics back in the days (Wonder if they are still in print nowadays).

Anyone remember LOBO? Lobo Th' main Man. Now this has got to be the most hilaruious comic book ever. It was not intended to be humourous but you end up rolling on the floor despite the excessive violence and blood and gore. I had so much Lobo Comics in my collection before I turned to Spawn.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 10:23am On Jul 27, 2006
If you like dark comics, you need to try the following:

Preacher by Garth Ennis
Sin City by Frank Miller
Punisher by Garth Ennnis
Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (the darkest batman you'll ever read).

That is just a few for now.
Suen did you have any luck with getting the comics?

I would advise that you stick to buying "trades" these collect many issues in a big book and are easier to collect.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by grafikdon: 10:33am On Jul 27, 2006
Vieira:

If you like dark comics, you need to try the following:

Preacher by Garth Ennis
Sin City by Frank Miller
Punisher by Garth Ennnis
Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (the darkest batman you'll ever read).

That is just a few for now.
at you stick to buying "trades" these collect many issues in a big book and are easier to collect.

That's it ,man! You got that right! I have read all those from Preacher to Frank Miller's Sin City and 'Darkest Batman'. There is also Wise Son Black Panther (Not dark but interesting).
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by DaSaint2(m): 11:50am On Jul 27, 2006
I never really knew young Nigerian Guys Read Comics, most I have Met with call it a mag for kids, but me I have been a lover of comics and have followed comics right from my Primary School days to this period when Hollywood has taken up production of these comics to movies.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by spikedcylinder: 1:01pm On Jul 28, 2006
I love comics!Well,specific types of comics.I dont really like the hero comics so that zeros out Frank Miller's and Marvel but my all time fave is Archie!I loved it when i was little!I dont get to see them around anymore!Is anyone willing to borrow me?(in my cutest baby voice)purleeze?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Funniest Movie You Have Seen / Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? / Game Of Thrones Season 8 Predictions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.