Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed (20449 Views)

Discos, FG Agree On 2 Months Free Electricity For Nigerians / NERC Directs Discos To Increase Tariff From April 1 / FG Directs Discos To Stop Cash Payment From Consumers By March 31 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by bumi10(m): 8:59am On Oct 13, 2017
hmmmm

New chapter, the same book...

New investors, same criminals...

Shai baba

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by jamace(m): 8:59am On Oct 13, 2017
Good Gooder Goodest cool
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by ChineseBuggati3(m): 8:59am On Oct 13, 2017
I
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by miteolu(m): 9:00am On Oct 13, 2017
To APC investors

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by idu1(m): 9:01am On Oct 13, 2017
hatchy:
Things that works well in other countries don't ever work in Nigeria because of Nigerians.

Are we coursed?

Cursed bro
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Fearlez: 9:01am On Oct 13, 2017
lightheart:
No new investor will be interested to come in with the level of tariff obtainable now. There will be an impact on tariff. Starting point will be Discos.

Are these dumb fools trying to increase electricity bills without improvements on power supply?

Hope they won't end up selling shares to their crooked cronies.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by chrisbaxtian(m): 9:06am On Oct 13, 2017
freeze001:
Tariff increase on the horizon! Can Nigerians accept and sustain any increase now?

I thought I was the only one who noticed it in the article! I just hope we see what we are paying more for

4 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by kokoA(m): 9:06am On Oct 13, 2017
They can increase the tariff only when they've provided prepaid meter for all the customers.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by barrysome001: 9:09am On Oct 13, 2017
fiizznation:
The power sector needs a total overhaul. Nothing aside that will work. You talk about discos, discos, discos every time. What about the gencos? I don't just know why, but I have this feeling that Nigeria leaders aren't interested in providing constant power supply to their masses. Smh
Discos are our major challenge in Nigeria, the GENCOs are doing a great job compared to Discos. The investors in the Discos have invested little or nothing in the industry, they all want ROI without investing in facilities that will better the industry.
For them, it is all about "collection, collection, collection",even the rich now complain of estimated billing (and other poor service delivery), they are majorly after the money. That being said, they declare an incomplete revenue and yet remit a little fraction to the MO (market operators), owing TCN and GENCOs a lot of money. If the DISCOs are ameliorated, we will see a great positive change in our power sector. #IMO
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by lastempero: 9:11am On Oct 13, 2017
Increase in tarrif will be the sure end.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 13, 2017
fiizznation:
The power sector needs a total overhaul. Nothing aside that will work. You talk about discos, discos, discos every time. What about the gencos? I don't just know why, but I have this feeling that Nigeria leaders aren't interested in providing constant power supply to their masses. Smh
write an essay on OVERHAUL
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Originalsly: 9:16am On Oct 13, 2017
Who really are the present investors?.....and who really are the new ones who will be stepping in to collect higher tariffs? Oh well...almost everyone was shouting for privitization...the way out of the frying pan...we jumped out and now here we are.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Zenithpeak(m): 9:20am On Oct 13, 2017
Another nomenclature loading..... cool

We started with

NEPA= National Embarrassment and Punishment Authority.

Then,

PHCN= Punishment Has Changed Name.

Presently,

EDC= Embarrassment Distribution Companies

What should we expect now?

2 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by fyneguy: 9:20am On Oct 13, 2017
chloride6:
This will not change anything.

Holistically, the financial model of the electricity business is very poor and inefficient.

I have used over 100 units of electricity in the last month with out paying a dime. Why, I don't have a meter and if the IKEDC peeps come around , I give them 500.

Even if I had a meter, I could still pay part of my bill and still owe the remaining. Who bears the brunt of my debt?

Discos only make 22% of the total sum. So how can they buy bulk electricity and how can gencos pay foot their bills.

Let's us focus on maximum revenue generation from even the little power we are generating. Then electricity can be a viable business with the pontential of attracting investors.

This is where smart metering comes into play. However, these rookies don't have funds to procure meters for consumers.

While I support this new policy, if the owners hesitate to sell off part of their shares to competent investors, they should atleast outsource metering to interested investors on a shared revenue basis. Metering is key!

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by vicfy(m): 9:31am On Oct 13, 2017
fiizznation:
Gencos have no problems. Infact, they ones brought to the public knowledge, the inability of the Discos to fully exhust energy produced; hence, the return current which bounces back to damage some of there facilities.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by columbus007(m): 9:37am On Oct 13, 2017
I wish they will come and ask me how much that want me to pay as a Nigerian so that they can free me,tired of this Zooist organisation.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Stylz69(m): 9:38am On Oct 13, 2017
The FG should stop pretending like it’s plan. AEDC has already been bought off by South Africans.
Plus the DisCos aren’t the obstacle... there must be all three to have stable power. The DisCos, the GenCos and TCN. DisCos cannot distribute what Doesn’t exist and the transmission company must be able to transmit energy generated. So even if you sell the DisCos and neglect generation and transmission, we will only be paying more for darkness!
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by rossyc(f): 9:42am On Oct 13, 2017
They should pls sell PHEDC fast.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by hatchy(f): 9:52am On Oct 13, 2017
idu1:

Cursed bro
Thank you Mr Encyclopedia grin
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by bigpicture001: 9:52am On Oct 13, 2017
this country is finished...I know from the day APC won election that they would reverse..sale of disco licence cuz tinubu and other political bizmen.would want o hv thier own share of the privatization..so also will it b in the oil fields...licences would be withdrawn and given to APC policial bizmen...sorry for nigeria
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Beetobee(f): 9:52am On Oct 13, 2017
Bolustical:
Just for the sake of electoral patronage, GEJ rejected the likes of GENERAL ELECTRIC and other established and well known electricity corps who had the financial wherewithal to transform the power sector.

He opted for the likes of Tony Elumelu and Abubakar who never had one year experience in power, the FG even had to bail them out. The worse is that these things are legally backed.

Years later, his supporters are expecting miracles from Fasola.

FYI, he owns AEDC while Namadi Sambo owns KEDC.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by bareal(m): 9:57am On Oct 13, 2017
Long overdue.... I lost faith in them when they couldn't provide pre-paid metres just to make more money out of darkness.

The bill in my house for just concluded month is about 25k, I come dey think say my house na factory. Make them give me prepaid metre make I monitor my power usage, na lie. They keep deceiving themselves and not me.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by sweetilicious(f): 10:02am On Oct 13, 2017
chloride6:
This will not change anything.

Holistically, the financial model of the electricity business is very poor and inefficient.

I have used over 100 units of electricity in the last month with out paying a dime. Why, I don't have a meter and if the IKEDC peeps come around , I give them 500.

Even if I had a meter, I could still pay part of my bill and still owe the remaining. Who bears the brunt of my debt?

Discos only make 22% of the total sum. So how can they buy bulk electricity and how can GENCOS pay foot their bills.

Let's us focus on maximum revenue generation from even the little power we are generating. Then electricity can be a viable business with the pontential of attracting investors.
You are correct.This is exactly what Nigeria needs to tackle.People believe electricity is their right as a citizen and not willing to pay even for the little they consume.Supply electricity for 24 hrs and tell consumers their bill based on the current tariff Govt charges then you will hear them say they have never payed past so so amount even while govt was managing it.Look,the reason for privatisation was basically because Nigerian govt was in the business where there were gross mismanagement going on as at then.Nigerian govt decided not to manage the distribution to customers but gave the authorisation to those they felt were capable.Now,there are a lot of challenges discos face.They don't generate.It is basically what GENCOS and TRANSMISSION companies distributes that they can use.I think Nigerian govt should own up to the anomalies and stop pushing it to DISCOS.Their policies equally affects the good cause of people they gave the business to manage for them.Its supposed to be a win-win situation for customers and Discos if Nigerian govt deems it fit to be sincere for once to her citizens.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:06am On Oct 13, 2017
Bolustical:
Just for the sake of electoral patronage, GEJ rejected the likes of GENERAL ELECTRIC and other established and well known electricity corps who had the financial wherewithal to transform the power sector.

He opted for the likes of Tony Elumelu and Abubakar who never had one year experience in power, the FG even had to bail them out. The worse is that these things are legally backed.

Tony Elumelu bought a generating company not a Disco. In any case, I don't know that calling Americans to run your power sector is a wise move. Japan, Germans, Swiss or even Chinese are far better options.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by bareal(m): 10:10am On Oct 13, 2017
sweetilicious:
You are correct.This is exactly what Nigeria needs to tackle.People believe electricity is their right as a citizen and not willing to pay even for the little they consume.Supply electricity for 24 hrs and tell consumers their bill based on the current tariff Govt charges then you will hear them say they have never payed past so so amount even while govt was managing it.Look,the reason for privatisation was basically because Nigerian govt was in the business where there were gross mismanagement going on as at then.Nigerian govt decided not to manage the distribution to customers but gave the authorisation to those they felt were capable.Now,there are a lot of challenges discos face.They don't generate.It is basically what GENCOS and TRANSMISSION companies distributes that they can use.I think Nigerian govt should own up to the anomalies and stop pushing it to DISCOS.Their policies equally affects the good cause of people they gave the business to manage for them.Its supposed to be a win-win situation for customers and Discos if Nigerian govt deems it fit to be sincere for once to her citizens.

Sir! What they do is overbill consumers and they call it estimated bill. Why is it a problem for them to provide all with pre-paid metres? Over 90% of the issues you mentioned would have be solved. Pre-paid metres makes you monitor what you consume without being over-billed.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Grundig: 10:13am On Oct 13, 2017
This is one area where gej openly let himself and Nigerians down. He basically sold the electricity industry to people without any iota of competence and/or track records.

I pray the resale scale through though. But PMB's antecedence in the last 2 years leaves little or nothing to be desired.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by theSpark(m): 10:19am On Oct 13, 2017
CriticMaestro:
Sell a.e.d.c
I swear I don suffer for their hand. They seem to have no clue

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 13, 2017
Bolustical:

Good points

That said

1.Many of the DISCOS ran into issues getting loans from the banks...largely because banks don't want to loan to companies whose financial situation is bad....and the DISCOS have a bad financial situation because of the fact that most Nigerians, and many Govt agenices and ministires don't pay their powerbills.

BY contrast, the GSM companies had access to loans Even companies like Etisalat (that could not pay up much later)...because there is no such thing as non payment of GSM bills.YOu have to pay to use GSM services most of the time.Nothing like making a phone call on MTN sans credit.

2.I happen to agree with the fact that GE should have been allowed to invest . BUT.....we would have been paying higher bills. GE would have invested and expected some return on their investment. Add the fact that Nigeria is a difficult country to operate in,and under a GE run GENCO and DISCO...we would have been paying bills as high as N30000 for a one room apartment.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 13, 2017
hatchy:
Things that works well in other countries don't ever work in Nigeria because of Nigerians.

Are we cursed?
Nigeria is a cursed country bro
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 13, 2017
fiizznation:

The problem is the cash needed to overhaul the whole thing is about $300billion, over the next 3 years.

Even if we got the politicians really interested, plus kicked out corruption for good...that's a lot more money than Nigeria can provide.

Hence the whole DISCOS and GENCOS thing...with the idea that it would be like the GSM . Problem was...getting private sector driven financing was not going to be that easy.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Bigtt: 10:40am On Oct 13, 2017
Jed(jos electricity distribution company)has not provided a single transformer in Gombe state.we only get light at night when its not usefull.I wish the govt should hasten up an revoke their license.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 13, 2017
they should just sell the whole country nigeria! so we know there is nothing left About nigeria! this is what happens when crooks are running a country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amaechi Was Governor When 32 People Were Killed In Omoku - Wike Replies APC / PDP Issues Statement On Oshiomhole's Corruption Case; Challenges Buhari / Court Remands Abdulrasheed Maina In Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.