Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed (20448 Views)

Discos, FG Agree On 2 Months Free Electricity For Nigerians / NERC Directs Discos To Increase Tariff From April 1 / FG Directs Discos To Stop Cash Payment From Consumers By March 31 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by newslifeop: 10:59am On Oct 13, 2017
Again
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by igahdavid(m): 11:11am On Oct 13, 2017
One of the best news in a long while. Abeg let them first sell EEDC oh!
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by chibjohn(m): 11:30am On Oct 13, 2017
You are talking what you don't know. What proof do you have that GE actually bidded for those DISCOS and didn't win? The problem is that most Nigerians don't understand the real problems of the power sector.
During the privatisation, those discos were too risky to be invested on and smart companies like GE stayed away. It is those Nigerians that invested that had the courage to do so. Please get your facts right.
Bolustical:
Just for the sake of electoral patronage, GEJ rejected the likes of GENERAL ELECTRIC and other established and well known electricity corps who had the financial wherewithal to transform the power sector.

He opted for the likes of Tony Elumelu and Abubakar who never had one year experience in power, the FG even had to bail them out. The worse is that these things are legally backed.

Years later, his supporters are expecting miracles from Fasola.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 13, 2017
[
Bro nothing will change in power until each state are allow to generate their own electricity and distribute it by them self
Years later, his supporters are expecting miracles from Fasola. [/b][/color][/quote]

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Martin0(m): 11:46am On Oct 13, 2017
gypsey:
they should just sell the whole country nigeria! so we know there is nothing left About nigeria! this is what happens when crooks are running a country.
oh I see,but if I may ask?will u be supportive of such jurisdiction?
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 13, 2017
Martin0:
oh I see,but if I may ask?will u be supportive of such jurisdiction?
Absolutely! grin

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Martin0(m): 12:41pm On Oct 13, 2017
gypsey:
Absolutely! grin

Hahahahahah it's seems u have forgotten so soon,no igbo man will support that,coz his bound to loose wealth especially if he has one..
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by ernieboy(m): 1:06pm On Oct 13, 2017
I foresee a long drawn out legal battle, and the discos will likely win. except the fg is willing to buy them off.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by deomelo: 1:37pm On Oct 13, 2017
Our power infrastructures were sold to cronies and incompetent people with zero experience and little or no money to invest and improve operations, but even with all the shortcomings in the power sector, taking and power assets away from them to re-sell to other entities should not even be contemplated or done under no circumstances.

It sends the wrong message to investors at home and abroad that we are not trustworthy and we illegally terminate contracts and take away investment arbitrarily.

We made the first mistake by selling he assets to these incompetent people, but that doesn't mean we should compound the mistake with disaster.

They should fix the system by opening the sector and make it a free for all affair where players with resources get to invest in different areas of power generation and transmission from gas to solar, hydro and wind power and adequately reap from their investments from satisfied customers willing to pay for superior services provided.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by erico2k2(m): 2:02pm On Oct 13, 2017
Bolustical:
Just for the sake of electoral patronage, GEJ rejected the likes of GENERAL ELECTRIC and other established and well known electricity corps who had the financial wherewithal to transform the power sector.

He opted for the likes of Tony Elumelu and Abubakar who never had one year experience in power, the FG even had to bail them out. The worse is that these things are legally backed.

Una nor dey disappoint GEJ name must show .
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by benzion72(m): 2:06pm On Oct 13, 2017
That will not also work. Until this monopoly is allow to die natural death like Nitel of old.

Deregulate power, license small operator who can generate from solar, wind thermal and distribute using underground cables.

Liesence community operator who can compete with this albatros called ibedc or abidec covering 7 states who has not bought one pole or a. Single transformer in their life time all the do is distribute October bill on the 13th of October ask them how they arive at consumer consumption and the next thing is to cut your light
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by COMPAQ(m): 2:25pm On Oct 13, 2017
If FG only owns 40%, is it really a game changer if they sell even all of their stake? After all, somebody already owns 60% and is the majority investor already.
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by davillian(m): 2:33pm On Oct 13, 2017
One day make Una no sell us to Chinese.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 13, 2017
chloride6:
This will not change anything.

Holistically, the financial model of the electricity business is very poor and inefficient.

I have used over 100 units of electricity in the last month with out paying a dime. Why, I don't have a meter and if the IKEDC peeps come around , I give them 500.

Even if I had a meter, I could still pay part of my bill and still owe the remaining. Who bears the brunt of my debt?

Discos only make 22% of the total sum. So how can they buy bulk electricity and how can gencos pay foot their bills.

Let's us focus on maximum revenue generation from even the little power we are generating. Then electricity can be a viable business with the pontential of attracting investors.

Exactly what I have been trying to tell people.

How can you expect 100% from someone getting 22%?
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by AroOkigbo(m): 3:43pm On Oct 13, 2017
Bolustical:

But Fashola promised that miracle. Didn't he?
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by corpershun: 4:03pm On Oct 13, 2017
Maybe they should just sell the whole country and share the money to her citizens...
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by gabe: 7:57pm On Oct 13, 2017
the only thing these people are interested in is making us pay more for less power simple. All of them are saying the same thing. from ministers to discos to gencos. all they are interested in is squeezing our balls harder
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by aku626(m): 10:44pm On Oct 13, 2017
Just creating room ms for more thieving. Increase Tarif again? Let there be improvement first
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Ovamboland(m): 12:17am On Oct 14, 2017
Double
Re: FG To Sell Discos To New Investors - Zainab Mohammed by Ovamboland(m): 12:18am On Oct 14, 2017
9jakohai:

Good points

That said

1.Many of the DISCOS ran into issues getting loans from the banks...largely because banks don't want to loan to companies whose financial situation is bad....and the DISCOS have a bad financial situation because of the fact that most Nigerians, and many Govt agenices and ministires don't pay their powerbills.

BY contrast, the GSM companies had access to loans Even companies like Etisalat (that could not pay up much later)...because there is no such thing as non payment of GSM bills.YOu have to pay to use GSM services most of the time.Nothing like making a phone call on MTN sans credit.

2.I happen to agree with the fact that GE should have been allowed to invest . BUT.....we would have been paying higher bills. GE would have invested and expected some return on their investment. Add the fact that Nigeria is a difficult country to operate in,and under a GE run GENCO and DISCO...we would have been paying bills as high as N30000 for a one room apartment.

The bit about paying 30k (about $100) a room can only be true if we use power carelessly as we do today. I shared a 1 bedroom with sitting room with a friend in the USA and we paid as high as over $50 a month initially based on Nigeria attitude like forgetting to switch off lights and ac when going out. Subsequent months we learnt and paid as low as $17 in some months

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amaechi Was Governor When 32 People Were Killed In Omoku - Wike Replies APC / Peter Obi Expresses Shock Over Attacks In Kaduna / PDP Issues Statement On Oshiomhole's Corruption Case; Challenges Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.