Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Restructuring: My Contribution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring: My Contribution (306 Views)

"Restructuring My Foot! To Hell With Restructuring", Governor Shettima / “restructuring My Foot”, Ohaneze, PANDEF, Others Are Dreamers – Gov Shettima / Restructuring My Foot; Devolution Of Power Not Nigeria’s Problem’ – Gov Shettima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Restructuring: My Contribution by izken: 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2017
Firstly I think the call for restructuring and power devolution is right for Nigeria at this moment. If we must move forward, then we must do away with this monthly ‘money sharing’ by the center to a ‘money bringing’ to the center one. The center should then spend 40-50% of whatever is contributed to the coffers back on the states, and the rest can be spent wherever high returns on investment are perceived in various states of the federation. States should be allowed to strive based on how they can manage what they have and bring returns to the center. Only by this genuine competition amongst states can be witnessed. But in addition to this we can also consider the followings:

1. Formation of Regional Assemblies: States houses of Assemblies and House of Rep from each region should be merged to form regional assemblies. The major responsibilities of regional assemblies should be to make laws for the region, approve budget for state governors and also monitor budget implementation (making sure states governments actually spend on what is mentioned in the budget). There should be no fixed head quarters for regional assemblies. Members should in each legislative tenure convene in a rotational manner in different states of the region or in the state where the present speaker at the beginning of the legislative tenure emerges from. The Upper chamber should be focused on making federal laws while regional laws are made by lower chamber which is now the regional assemblies. The constituency project and other projects by lawmakers be it National or regional should be scrapped. If there should be any, constituency accounts which must be maintained by subsequent law makers with modification of signatories to the account every legislative tenure should be opened for all constituencies and monies paid into them should be clearly stated for monitoring. The practice where monies for constituency projects are paid into law makers’ accounts should be discouraged. Ministers, commissioners and Local government structures can maintain status quo.

2. State Police: A complete state police may not be good for the nation at this moment. But recruitment of police officers should be done at state level as approved by regional assemblies depending on security needs. Such a recruit will serve in his state of origin and be allowed to grow through the rank and file of the police force till he or she gets to the rank of an inspector, then he or she can sit for assessment to become federal police and then can be posted to different regions where need be if successful. In order words, new recruits should be handled by states till they get to the rank of inspector. If such an officer is good and is interested in moving forward, he can become a federal police officer based on need and availability while maintaining federal character or otherwise remain an inspector and serve in his state till retirement. Effective policing can only be achieved if new recruits are from the locality where they serve.

This can also be adopted in the civil service, educational and other sectors for effective management.

This is personal opinion.

(1) (Reply)

Have You Ever Faced Discrimination Based On Your Tribe Or Gender? / Delayed Implementation Of The 2017 Budget Is Caused By NASS - Dr Olufon / N1.35 Billion Money Laundering: Sule Lamido's Case Adjourned To Nov. 15th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.