Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,795 members, 7,820,793 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image (38301 Views)

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist / Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos / Sad Memories Of Slavery As GOOGLE Celebrates Anambra Born Olaudah Equiano- PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Amarabae(f): 12:44pm On Oct 16, 2017
einsteine:
"Equiano recounted an incident when an attempted kidnapping of children was foiled by adults in his villages in []Benin, Nigeria[/b]. When he was around the age of eleven, he and his sister were left alone to look after their family's premises, as was common when adults went out of the house to work. They were both kidnapped and taken far away from their hometown of Etsako[/b], separated, and sold to slave traders. After changing ownership several times, Equiano met his sister again, but they were separated and he was taken across a large river to the coast, where he was held by European slave trader"

That is from his biography.
Very childish and crapy history distortion,
go and read the equaino autobiography,
I dont know where you conjoured this crab from,
He was adopted by the arochukwu slave traders and he maintained that he was Igbo,
and other stuff,
THE WORLD HAVE KNOWN HIM AS IGBO AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Sapiosexuality(m): 12:46pm On Oct 16, 2017
dominique:

I'm afraid I can't do that. Have you unfollowed it via the followed topics link? Just click on the (x) sign, that ought to do the trick
I did that for more than 10 times but it automatically followed me. It's done now. Thank you for responding.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

@ comos
Please answer this question

Amarabae:

LoL... "the world"

Olaudah Equiano or Gustavus Vassa? New light on an eighteenth‐century question of identity
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01440399908575287

Negotiating Personal Identity and Cultural Memory in Olaudah Equiano's Interesting Narrative
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02690050600694893

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Pigsandidiots: 12:51pm On Oct 16, 2017
IamLaura:

Edo ko bini ni �
Lol funny you quoting Wikipedia as a credible source,even I can edit and add anything I want on a Wikipedia page.
Nigerians don't read,If you had read his book you'll have seen where he proudly named his village and the culture of his people which clearly showed he was IGBO.
Why are you pple so scared of igbos greatness that's you choose to believe lies to make urselves feel good?Quite pathetic I must say.No matter how hard you guys try to distort history,unfortunately the world knows the truth.
Stop being ignorant and read a book.
So na people here go edit his wikki to edo right? So wikki also hate igbo that they have to lie he's from edo instead of igbo. You lack wisdom. Why didn't you say wikki just wrote about him yesterday because they hate igbo and wanted to change his tribe. You are a typical bimbo. He's from etsako in edo state. Fact will never lie. I have seen many cases here where igbo claimed another person.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ladyjumong(f): 12:52pm On Oct 16, 2017
Hehehe, see as different tribes just the fight to claim this man.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheCabal:

If you do not have the concentration of a goldfish.

Olaudah Equiano or Gustavus Vassa? New light on an eighteenth‐century question of identity
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01440399908575287

Negotiating Personal Identity and Cultural Memory in Olaudah Equiano's Interesting Narrative
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02690050600694893

Igbo-phobia will not help your case.

The "year" was called "ah-affoe" in Olaudah's language. The Igbo word for "year" is áfọ̀

"They calculated our time, and foretold events, as their name imported, for we called
them Ah-affoe-way-cah, which signifies calculators or yearly men, our year being called Ah-affoe"

---- The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, page 11

3 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by BudeYahooCom: 12:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
TEYA:
[s]
I wonder o! This is a man that clearly said he was kidnapped in his home in Benin but these guys are going gaga about him being igbo[/s].

Your muslim anti-Igbo ewedu-dripping mouth can cry to Allah 100 times the truth remains that Olaudah in his book made it very clear he is Eboe (Igbo) without leaving a shred of doubt, he only passed through benin enroute to slavery. We know you this but can't live with the fact that the great Igbo man is being celebrated globally due to your prehistoric envy. Pls die if you want to. cheesy cheesy

Fact number 1.
He translated his name Ikwuano (Equiano) Olaudah (which mean loud voice in Igbo). What does Olaudah mean in Edo or yoruba (as you would like to claim by extension)?

Fact 2
He mentioned 'Esseke' which is a town actually spelt Iseke in Ihiala local government area Anambra of today. I am from Ihiala and today a 45 minute drive from Ihiala will get you into the region that was the old benin empire. You see the proximity? grin

Fact 3
In his book, he mentioned our Igbo for market days as 'Oye' (Orie) 'Ukwo' (Nkwo) 'Ah-for' (Afor) 'Ekeh' (Eke). Where does benin come in here?

Cry till you die, grit your muslim teeth till you quench with hate. Everyone knows Olaudah remain IGBO as every true historian knows. Bitter pill for you right? grin

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Igbo-phobia will not help your case.

The "year" was called "ah-affoe" in Olaudah's language. The Igbo word for "year" is áfọ̀

"They calculated our time, and foretold events, as their name imported, for we called
them Ah-affoe-way-cah, which signifies calculators or yearly men, our year being called Ah-affoe"

---- The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, page 11

LoL ..
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by GavelSlam: 12:55pm On Oct 16, 2017
Chukazu:

Eboe is another translation for "Igbo"

It is not.

Equiano said the his place of birth was subject to the Benin Kingdom. If that be the case, do you agree that igbos were subject to Bini?

Secondly, I have come across literary works from the days of yore, which describe Eboe as somewhere in Ijaw land.

Please see:
Narrative of an Exploring Voyage Up to the Rivers Kuora and Binue Commonly known as the Niger and Tsadda in 1854
page 437

By William Balfour Baikie

It gives a listing of places terms across Africa and Eboe was described for places in Igarra, present day Edo state (under Benin Kingdom) or Okuloma ijaw.

Please do not be swayed by sentiments.

Equiano's own narration when juxtaposed with Balfour Baikie easily leads one to the conclusion Equiano could not have been Igbo.

Please provide evidence if you disbelieve.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheCabal:

LoL .. grasping at straws as usual.
Igbo-phobic rants as usual

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by ifyboy60(m): 12:56pm On Oct 16, 2017
comos:

Is it possible for an Educated man at that era to write the word Igbo as Eboe

consult wikipedia for his authentic story and stop twisting history

At that time Europeans called Igbo eboe and then ibo.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 16, 2017
Chukazu:

Eboe is another translation for "Igbo"
This old document discusses the "Eboe" tribe

4 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by mavinc4u(f): 12:58pm On Oct 16, 2017
grin grin see dragging. Assuming the man was a criminal nobody would accept he is from their state.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

It is not.

Equiano said the his place of birth was subject to the Benin Kingdom. If that be the case, do you agree that igbos were subject to Bini?

Secondly, I have come across literary works from the days of yore, which describe Eboe as somewhere in Ijaw land.

Please see:
Narrative of an Exploring Voyage Up to the Rivers Kuora and Binue Commonly known as the Niger and Tsadda in 1854
page 437

It gives a listing of places terms across Africa and Eboe was described for places in Igarra, present day Edo state (under Benin Kingdom) or Okuloma ijaw.

Equiano's own narration when juxtaposed with Balfour Baikie easily leads one to the conclusion Equiano could not have been Igbo.

Colonial map of Igbo territory

3 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Igbo-phobic rants as usual

LoL ... grin

You always get caught, everytime.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheCabal:

Posterity wins again.

See the title of the thread again. grin

All we do is win win win.
ok

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by GavelSlam: 1:01pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Colonial map of Igbo territory

You are showing me a map of igbo territory whilst the man in concern says he was under the Benin empire.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

You are showing me a map of igbo territory whilst the man in concern says he was under the Benin empire.
There was much contact between Western Igbos and Benin empire: Onicha Ugbo, Asaba, Anioma, Ibusa etc
Whatz wrong with that?

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by IamLaura(f): 1:03pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pigsandidiots:
So na people here go edit his wikki to edo right? So wikki also hate igbo that they have to lie he's from edo instead of igbo. You lack wisdom. Why didn't you say wikki just wrote about him yesterday because they hate igbo and wanted to change his tribe. You are a typical bimbo. He's from etsako in edo state. Fact will never lie. I have seen many cases here where igbo claimed another person.
No matter how u try to deceive urself,you can't change history.
Go and read his book and note the culture of his people.
Attached are some few pics to help your ignorance.
Same as Jaja of opobo,I mean look at it na and tell urself the truth.Genes don't lie
Which ethnic Group from Africa is known and recognized by the world for having high level of business acumen and skill??
Oops not Edo grin
And I guess the word "afo" meaning year is foreign to Edo culture .

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 1:03pm On Oct 16, 2017
IamLaura:
No matter how hard you ignorant tribal bigots try to distort history,it can never work.
Happy birthday OLAUDAH EQUAINO -one of the greatest men of the Igbo race.

NIGHTMAREOO7:

My friend, igbo he is !!

bestview:
Anambra born Olaudah Equiano did the entire black race proud.

conductorH1:
An Igbo man who was sold to slavery in Britain, served out his time, earned money, bought his freedom from his master and started agitating for the abolishment of slave trade.

The current crop of lazy parasite One Neajeriya yoots will label him a terrorist for "challenging the Federal Government" and "brainwashing his gullible IPOD terrorist followers" because he demanded abolishment of slave trade.

"Our constitution does not support abolishment of slave trade" - Omenka

"You're calling for war by agitating freedom" - Sarrki

"The Nigerian soldiers should shoot him dead for demanding freedom" - Ngeneukwenu

"Lets join hands together and build this country. The British can't help you by giving you clothes and education and you want to repay them by demanding freedom" - Madridguy

"Olaudah is damanding for freedom because his master's party lost the presidential election" - Nairaland BMC/Zombie chapter cheesy

The guy is from Benin, from Etsako in Edo state. Na wa for una ooo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaudah_Equiano#Freedom

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by GavelSlam: 1:03pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

There was much contact between Western Igbos and Benin empire: Onicha Ugbo, Asaba, Anioma, Ibusa etc
Whatz wrong with that?

Were they under the bini Kingdom?

Very simple sturvs.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

Were they under the bini Kingdom?

Very simple sturvs.
They were Neighbors to the Benin empire
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by BudeYahooCom: 1:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
The muslimumudeen anti-Igbo zombies which they can turn back the hands of time and force Olaudah to claim he is not Igbo in his autobiography. grin

The thing pain the Dumburudeens say Olaudah an Igbo man established his Igboness is his own book, translated his Igbo name, explained the Igbo market days. If he hadn't written any book, ewedu revisionists would have claimed hia name is 'Olarudeen' from Osun.

Just the way they claimed a Crowther a creole from Sierra lone who came on a missionary to yorubaland and chose the name 'Ajayi' to get close the people. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Chukazu: 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

It is not.

Please see:
page 437

subject in what form ?

expand your horizons when reading.

Igbo wasn't subject to Benin,some part of Igbo land "probably" were subject to The greater Benin empire the same way a part of Yoruba land , Lagos in particular was subject to the Benin empire,the same way some part of Present day Benin Republic was subject to the old OYO empire,but that doesn't make an entire tribe subject to Benin as the case may be

go do some history,i have done mine from primary secondary days ...

the truth ,the world as we know it today has evolved

3 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by IamLaura(f): 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2017
BudeYahooCom:

Your muslim anti-Igbo ewedu-dripping mouth can cry to Allah 100 times the truth remains that Olaudah in his book made it very clear he is Eboe (Igbo) without leaving a shred of doubt, he only passed through benin enroute to slavery. We know you this but can't live with the fact that the great Igbo man is being celebrated globally due to your prehistoric envy. Pls die if you want to. cheesy cheesy

Fact number 1.
He translated his name Ikwuano (Equiano) Olaudah (which mean loud voice in Igbo). What does Olaudah mean in Edo or yoruba (as you would like to claim by extension)?

Fact 2
He mentioned 'Esseke' which is a town actually spelt Iseke in Ihiala local government area Anambra of today. I am from Ihiala and today a 45 minute drive from Ihiala will get you into the region that was the old benin empire. You see the proximity? grin

Fact 3
In his book, he mentioned our Igbo for market days as 'Oye' (Orie) 'Ukwo' (Nkwo) 'Ah-for' (Afor) 'Ekeh' (Eke). Where does benin come in here?

Cry till you die, grit your muslim teeth till you quench with hate. Everyone knows Olaudah remain IGBO as every true historian knows. Bitter pill for you right? grin

Thanks my brother,they are all convulsing and having epileptic fits about us.
Talk about obssession.
I blame southeast leaders for not taking our history and rich culture seriously,ordinary OLAUDAH and they are having seizures,what will happen when they find out about Nat turner and Bussa?or the "Jukunnu masquerade" practices in the carribean or even "Obeah spirituality"? grin
We should do more to unite with our stolen brethren on the other side like the Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Pigsandidiots: 1:09pm On Oct 16, 2017
Amarabae:
Very childish and crapy history distortion,
go and read the equaino autobiography,
I dont know where you conjoured this crab from,
He was adopted by the arochukwu slave traders and he maintained that he was Igbo,
and other stuff,
Calm down your vociferous behavior. The world knows him as igbo but his wikki says otherwise. Can you mention his igbo name? His wiki said he's from etsako in edo, you people are saying people distorted it. Does wikki also hate igbos to lie about his tribe and origin?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Chukazu: 1:10pm On Oct 16, 2017
mavinc4u:
grin grin see dragging. Assuming the man was a criminal nobody would accept he is from their state.

don't mind them "DRAGNET ASSOCIATION OF NIG."
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pigsandidiots:
Can you mention his igbo name?
Olaudah Equiano = "Ọlaụdah Ikwuanọ"

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 1:13pm On Oct 16, 2017
ivolt:
Olaudah was a benin slave, it was clearly stated in his biography.
Lol, I thought he said he was a bristish slave? You guys like to distort history.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ladyjumong:
Hehehe, see as different tribes just the fight to claim this man.
babylove I miss you
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Pigsandidiots: 1:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
IamLaura:

No matter how u try to deceive urself,you can't change history.
Go and read his book and note the culture of his people.
Attached are some few pics to help your ignorance.
Same as Jaja of opobo,I mean look at it na and tell urself the truth.Genes don't lie
Which ethnic Group from Africa is known and recognized by the world for having high level of business acumen and skill??
Oops not Edo grin
And I guess the word "afo" meaning year is foreign to Edo culture .

What is his igbo name.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by GavelSlam: 1:17pm On Oct 16, 2017
logica:
LOL..."an area in Guinea called Eboe".

Gulf of Guinea is about right.

In geological terms the Niger delta is considered part of the gulf of Guinea.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Mike Ozekhome: Why Supreme Court Judgment On Imo Can't Be Reviewed / Kanu Called Me, We Have Agreed To Work Together To Oust Buhari - FFK / #EdoNoBeLagos, Ambode, Tinubu, Wike, Oshiomhole Trended During #EdoDecides2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.