Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,522 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News (11346 Views)

2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions / Heads To Roll As President's Anti-Corruption War Kicks Off / Tinubu scores once again as Fashola emerge SGF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by harakiri(m): 3:09pm On Mar 13, 2010
georgeiyke009:

@all: u all hv said your says none of u hv bn[b] totally rit/wrong[/b]. 4 those who r in support of d demolition ex citing d crime rate in d area, I say:puttn more people in2 d already oversaturated labor market/streets/in2 all sorts of vices due 2 joblessness reduce or increase d crime rate? of wht use is a "Mega City" to a hungry man who cannot afford d barest necessities of life? d "mega city" in question,is it made 4 d people or d people wr made 4 mega city?would u not prefer 2 live in slum n b able 2 afford d basic necessities of life dn 2 stay wretched in a mega city? d truth is dt our governments hv shown how cluelesss dy r about d needs of d people. b4 talkn bout infrastructural dev., basic necessities /amenities hv 2 b in place.and is it a question of servn them a notice ?whr dy given affordable alternatives n they refused 2 move? cuz d point is we as a nation always r d looser when governments r reckless in dr duties.Economically can u quantify wht d nation has lost as a result? Law abiding citizens will hv 2 sleep wt 1 eyse open cuz tnx 2 fashola, we now hv more hoodlums roamn d streets.wt notn lik social security in Nigeria, it is a receipe 4 disaster .of course d very rich can afford 2 hv/or assigned security details 2 guard them.so effectively, dz people r unleashed on still d hapless masses.And I ask;r all dz a worthy price
2 pay 4 "development "??

Dude, as cruel as it sounds, for progress to be made. . .the axe must claim it's victims.We all complain about how backward this country is in comparison with other countries. . .how can we progress when we keep being sentimental about issues like this?If you remember what Oshodi used to be like 2 years ago and the way it is now, you cannot help but give kudos to Fashola.People were being robbed there on a daily basis and even killed everyday.Today it's a different story.You can drive past there at night without much fear like before.Fashola cannot provide food and work for every person in lagos.He is a technocrat and what he's focused on is developing Lagos into a Mega City.Period! His message is very clear. . .if Lagos is too harsh for you, relocate to your village.

End of.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by DrKitaun(m): 3:35pm On Mar 13, 2010
Fashola haters can go and mud themselves, my parents and I HAD STAKES IN AJELOGO/AKANIMODO AS WE HAVE BEEN STAYING IN THE AREA SINCE 1982, OUR SHOPS WERE DEMOLISHED AFTER DUE NOTIFICATION, though painful, yet we are happy BRF did the right thing for the COMMON GOOD!
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by MaxLeo: 4:27pm On Mar 13, 2010
They were all informed of this, theyb got adequate information but inisisted on not relocating , blame urselves.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by eleshin(m): 4:59pm On Mar 13, 2010
some pple appeal to ignorance wen discussing issues.ajelogo market and akanimodo are havens for armed robbers apart from the fact that the market needs to be demolished for its bad state.these pple were duly informed of govt decision in respect of the demolition but many of them believed this administration is the same as tinubus.i'm a lagosian so i support every decision of fashola with all my heart cos i know its for d betternment of lagos
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by DrKitaun(m): 5:08pm On Mar 13, 2010
Can the OP change the title of d thread?

Mile 12 market is still very much intact still
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by eleshin(m): 5:19pm On Mar 13, 2010
all dis atowun riwas dat know next to nothing,dey dnt even no d diff btw ajelogo and mile 12.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by harakiri(m): 5:29pm On Mar 13, 2010
eleshin:

some pple appeal to ignorance wen discussing issues[b].ajelogo market and akanimodo are havens for armed robbers apart from the fact that the market needs to be demolished for its bad state.these pple were duly informed of govt decision in respect of the demolition but many of them believed this administration is the same as tinubus.i'm a lagosian so i support every decision of fashola with all my heart cos i know its for d betternment of lagos[/b]

Thank you very much jare.I spent a good number of years around that area (Alapere) before i moved out in 2006 to Amuwo Odofin and i can tell you, those areas are dreaded.Some of the sentimental sympathizers here don't even know what that place is like.The miscreants in Oshodi seem to be saints compared to the criminals that cluster there.The police in Ketu, Ogudu and Alapere will outrightly tell you that those places are no go areas!

End of.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by PurestBoy(m): 5:33pm On Mar 13, 2010
Fashola is a failure, he should be compassionate and consider the poor who feed their children and pay their children school fees from the money they get from that market.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by DrKitaun(m): 5:38pm On Mar 13, 2010
How can Govt compensate people illegally hindering its plans ? Did we LANDLORDS even have titles to what we were using all thru d years, some of u guys need adult education classes!
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by harakiri(m): 5:41pm On Mar 13, 2010
PurestBoy:

Fashola is a failure, he should be compassionate and consider the poor who feed their children and pay their children school fees from the money they get from that market.

And when he does that, same peeps like you will come here and ask what Fashola has achieved in his tenure.The crux of the matter is, the governor has his agenda (just like any other leader in the world) and he's aim is to return Lagos to it's mega city status.Yes, there will be victims but at the long run, people will be grateful to him.For example, i might be a victim anytime soon coz there's a property i inherited that's been given demolition notice to allow better drainage in the flooded area.I wouldn't want that to happen but if it does happen, i know its for the greater good.I will lose a lot but more will benefit from it.Why can't people try to see things objectively instead of applying sentiments?
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by DrKitaun(m): 5:47pm On Mar 13, 2010
God bless u bro!
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by SleekW4s: 5:56pm On Mar 13, 2010
You guy have really say some thing, 1 my mother was one of the victim, 2 no father, 3 we are 6 in number that my mum gave birth to, so what can i do because my mother finance me and family to school, or should i leave school and thief to help my mum, that is what i had from one Victim child (a guy almost 28 year of age with tears Laposian HND 11 at Ajelogo), NOT ME
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by harakiri(m): 6:08pm On Mar 13, 2010
Sleek_W4_$:

You guy have really say some thing, 1 my mother was one of the victim, 2 no father, 3 we are 6 in number that my mum gave birth to, so what can i do because my mother finance me and family to school, or should i leave school and thief to help my mum, that is what i had from one Victim child (a guy almost 28 year of age with tears Laposian HND 11 at Ajelogo), NOT ME

Well that sounds pitiful but what must be done must be done.Someone in a occupying the sensitive seat as governor has to make life altering decisions on a daily basis and for every decision he makes, there are those who benefit from it and those who suffer for it.It's that simple.The focus is on the betterment of the people and if demolishing a number of shops will make Lagos a better place, then so be it. To achieve anything meaningful in life, you must learn to make hard decisions.

Today, Fashola has a lot of enemies who will pay several millions of naira to see him dead but everybody can see the results of his hard work.It's not easy to make a decision to demolish peoples shops or homes but if it must be done, then so be it.It's not as if he knows the victims or has anything to do with them.It's the end result that matters.

Period!
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by eleshin(m): 6:11pm On Mar 13, 2010
a laspotian dat cannot advise his mum to yield to the announcement of the govt in respect of d demolition.why is he a student if nt to educate his uneducated parent about  some issues.he cannot deny d fact that his mum was served demolition notice,bloody hypocrite!
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by harakiri(m): 6:27pm On Mar 13, 2010
eleshin:

a laspotian dat cannot advise his mum to yield to the announcement of the govt in respect of d demolition.why is he a student if nt to educate his uneducated parent about  some issues.he cannot deny d fact that his mum was served demolition notice,bloody hypocrite!

Sometimes, don't blame Nigerians when they act like this.They have grown accustomed to an inefficient govt and this new action leadership is something new to them.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by truly: 8:04pm On Mar 13, 2010
I support WIRINET

If they were given notice, what were they expected to do?
Just go home and sleep

Even Nigeria as a country lives on foreign aid
Why do we just think that demolishing things is evidence of deep thinking
A leaders thinks hard and come up with innovative solutions
Sincerely the illiterate Raji Rasaki and the "No-Bitumen" Oyinlola could demolish a marketer
It is a no brainer - it is the simplest things military administration could do

But when we are donating $1m to Haitian, we recognise that people need help to pull themselves back up from their low position

People are saying the city must be modernised - for whom?
Will the demolish add to our GDP? No
A lot of people will be without income for a while and some nearly permanently

Are we saying an Obama will initiate a painful policy measure without thinking of how to help the victims get their life back?
And that is a society that has a social security system

People who are talking about Ajelogo's miscreants should also address the same problem on 3rd mainland bridge, and all those
places that the police call hotspots

I do not see armed robbers evaporating simply because of a demolition
Actually their survival skills are better than those of the traders

Come to think of it, what is the economic benefit to society of actually destroying stock of wealth - goods?

Even if we must demolish, can we not plan it?
Let us say those people are really stubborn, can we not wear them out with patience

week 1 - announce on radio and paste posters that demolition will commence in 2 weeks
2 weeks after, send Mopol to the market with KAI, instruction is to monitor (with the market leaders) the evacuation of goods
Devote 3 days, say, to this

I understand that there are street traders in London
By the way, I don't need to know Ajelogo to determine that NIGERIANS are trading there and have been displaced
And where are the people displaced from Oshodi?

People first should be our watchword
Infrastructure is for MAN, not the other way round

And as for the governor, he is a human being and can make mistakes
People's defence of his actions should not be a reflex action
Rather we should reflect first
Voting is not done on the internet yet - please remember that if you really love the governor
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by texazzpete(m): 8:05pm On Mar 13, 2010
How can some of you people be insisting that Government compensates people who have been selling from such illegal markets? With what does the government compensate these people? Our Taxpayers' monies?

Utter rubbish. The people were warned, let them vent their anger on their union.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by texazzpete(m): 8:07pm On Mar 13, 2010
truly:

I understand that there are street traders in London

Coming out for one day a week to trade in a quiet street is VERY different from permanently placing shops without Government permit.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by truly: 8:18pm On Mar 13, 2010
@texazzpete
How can some of you people be insisting that Government compensates people who have been selling from such illegal markets?

A market that big cannot be really illegal
Who gave out the land in the first place - must have been governor?
People said they bought shops
I am not even talking about compensation
And the idea is that government should provide alternative market that the poor can afford before sending them away
Not all those underage hawkers chasing speeding cars on 3rd mainland bridge love it or are criminals
I have read articles where prominent people said they hawked in their childhood
I get angry when such people no longer remember the opportunity that such lowly activities provided them - to be able to go to school
And they only talk about mega city as if it is a divine revelation

The per capita GDP of UK where than once-a week street market is is over $35,000
Nigeria's is less than $2,000

Look at this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-411339.0.html
People are really suffering
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Nobody: 8:21pm On Mar 13, 2010
the entire africa is suffering.

blacks in south africa are also suffering but today nigerians rush there in their millions because they say the place is beautiful and has opportunities.

Is it Fashola who introduced suffering to nigeria?
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by truly: 8:28pm On Mar 13, 2010
@tpia
Fashola did not introduce suffering
Neither did he promise in 2007 (during the campaign) to aggravate it

People are going to South Africa because of opportunities, not because of its beauty
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by babapupa: 8:34pm On Mar 13, 2010
[b]
While the exercise brought wailing and lamentation to some people, some residents in the area sighed with relief. Many of them told Vanguard Metro that the demolition would at least put to an end the frequent ritual sacrifices carried out in the market.

“Some of the traders have been performing a lot of sacrifice in this market. They said the purpose  was so that Fashola would forget about the demolition. According to them, the Governor would be so engaged with other state matters that he will forget about this place. They have killed a lot of rams and goats but all proved abortive,” they said.

According to them, the market had more or less become a hide out for some hoodlums who used the place for their nefarious activities. “I have lived here for a period of 17 years. Initially the place was peaceful until recently when residents could not sleep with their eyes closed. The place became a breeding ground for hoodlums who defecate and liter the environment with refuse. Many of them are street urchins who loot and rob people any time they have the advantage to do so. Many of them who passed the night in our compound claimed they had paid a lot of money to their local government chairman not knowing the money did not get to Fashola,” said Mrs. Oluwakemi Peters.
[/b]

www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/10/mixed-reactions-as-bulldozers-reduce-mile-12-shanties-to-rubbles/+Ajelogo+Marke+sacrifice&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a">http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:7lzaWuGurhYJ:www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/10/mixed-reactions-as-bulldozers-reduce-mile-12-shanties-to-rubbles/+Ajelogo+Marke+sacrifice&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by truly: 8:38pm On Mar 13, 2010
@babapupa
So state policy will be dictated by rumours of fetish activities?
Will Governor Fashola tar my street if vanguard tell him that we have been killing rams to aid his 2nd term?
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 13, 2010
truly:

@tpia
Fashola did not introduce suffering
Neither did he promise in 2007 (during the campaign) to aggravate it

People are going to South Africa because of opportunities, not because of its beauty

you dont know some nigerians go to south africa on vacation?
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by truly: 9:10pm On Mar 13, 2010
@tpia
you dont know some nigerians go to south africa on vacation?

Oh, I am sorry.
I am really happy that some people can go to South Africa on vacation

I want more Nigerians to have the opportunities to make more money and go on vacation to UK, US etc
and come back within 3weeks and not sleep at foreign embassies in search of visas
I seriously believe that the more hands we can keep at legal work, no matter how lowly paid
the better for our society
The more the number that would turn their backs on those desperate voyages - eg across the meditteranean in rickety boats
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by harakiri(m): 9:30pm On Mar 13, 2010
Is this post about Lagos or South Africa?I just dey ask oooo!
grin
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Enjoyment1(f): 9:55pm On Mar 13, 2010
Naija sha!. People will always castigate, even if that government policy is favourable. What is wrong in demolishing criminals hideout? Are we all not enjoying the benefits of demolition at Oshodi?
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by justfash50: 9:58pm On Mar 13, 2010
@all

I always wonder why after explaining a situation to some people( Fashola Haters) they still hang on to their opinion that LAGOS must surely be compared to those european countries they r opportuned visit as if these countries is built in a day.How i wish we know this earlier and allow those spewing dust to visit these place and see the caliber of peope that trives there.

I can bet, u cant carry a laptop at 6pm in that area talkless of a phone.Some people just sit in their homes and type without making effort to research, some is just a matter of their ego to justify their spurious claims.

Its normal for people to claim all sort of things, my opinion is just that the Government should relocate them.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Nobody: 10:02pm On Mar 13, 2010
and we wonder why nigeria will not progress

i'm sure those flagellating fasola for demolishing the market will be the same ones on other threads whining about how they want to check out to countries where things work
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Ijeleigbo(m): 10:40pm On Mar 13, 2010
i am so happy with the rapid development in lagos. when i visited lagos last week i nearly fainted with shock. i am happy with the fashola administration. its one thing to be a leader, have an agenda and execute it without fear or criticism. There is a price to development.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by babapupa: 10:53pm On Mar 13, 2010
truly:

@babapupa
So state policy will be dictated by rumours of fetish activities?
Will Governor Fashola tar my street if vanguard tell him that we have been killing rams to aid his 2nd term?

It's a newspaper article, cut, dice and spin it to your hearts desire.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by ikeyman00(m): 11:07pm On Mar 13, 2010
@@@@@@@[size=23pt]
COMPENSATION COMPENSATION COMPENSATION!!!![/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EFCC Arraigns Suswam Over N3.1bn Fraud Today / Mahmood Yakubu Visits Godwin Emefiele (Photos) / Nigeria’s Poverty Rate Calls For Worry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.