Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,279 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News (11344 Views)

2016 Budget: Heads May Roll As Presidency Uncovers More Infractions / Heads To Roll As President's Anti-Corruption War Kicks Off / Tinubu scores once again as Fashola emerge SGF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Enjoyment1(f): 6:56pm On Mar 14, 2010
All these noise are just making BRF popular.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by truly: 8:13pm On Mar 14, 2010
@Dr Kitaun
these people were told over 20 times in d past and the show owners and tenants were invited to Alausa few days to d exercise, what more do u want Govt to do

Can you really prove this? And how can you treat Fashola like an illiterate by implying that he is not capable of greater ingenuity? For instance, he could have enforced the removal of goods from those those shops under police order. This can take 2 days (because of logistics). Would that cost him anything

@mr.official
Where is the mega city if they re not demolished?

Sometimes I have misgivings when we begin to dignify actions of human beings with near-divine qualities
Is the mega city a divine decree
And where are the people who will live in mega city if their means of livelihood has been demolished - foreigners I suppose, not the masses who voted for the governor
Is it not in this mega city that Nigerians are shipped to construction sites in container-like vehicles
Fix economic problems and people will stop putting up slums

@honeric01
but Lagosians love free things, none would want to rent a shop, rather they prefer to build shanties because it cost next to nothing. if you do the right thing, you won't have to suffer when the wrong things are being corrected.

These lagosians who love free things are not different from you and other people all over the world
As human beings, we all have unlimited wants and need to minimise costs to satisy as many of those wants as possible
If they can have things free, they would go for it
But the shops that were demolished were paid for - read the story again

In addition, why do we believe that Nigerians are so rich that they only don't want to spend?
If we assume that the daily cost of feeding an individual is N200, that is N6,000 monthlly
I hope you realise that the minimum wage is less than N10,000
Yet a lot of Nigerians do not have jobs
Why do you think people risk their lives to leave Nigeria - look at the number of people who have perished trying to cross the Mediterranean
And yet, a lot of those abroad do not have solid jobs
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Enjoyment1(f): 10:03pm On Mar 14, 2010
truly:

@Dr Kitaun
these people were told over 20 times in d past and the show owners and tenants were invited to Alausa few days to d exercise, what more do u want Govt to do

Can you really prove this? And how can you treat Fashola like an illiterate by implying that he is not capable of greater ingenuity? For instance, he could have enforced the removal of goods from those those shops under police order. This can take 2 days (because of logistics). Would that cost him anything

@mr.official
Where is the mega city if they re not demolished?

Sometimes I have misgivings when we begin to dignify actions of human beings with near-divine qualities
Is the mega city a divine decree
And where are the people who will live in mega city if their means of livelihood has been demolished - foreigners I suppose, not the masses who voted for the governor
Is it not in this mega city that Nigerians are shipped to construction sites in container-like vehicles
Fix economic problems and people will stop putting up slums

@honeric01
but Lagosians love free things, none would want to rent a shop, rather they prefer to build shanties because it cost next to nothing. if you do the right thing, you won't have to suffer when the wrong things are being corrected.

These lagosians who love free things are not different from you and other people all over the world
As human beings, we all have unlimited wants and need to minimise costs to satisy as many of those wants as possible

In addition, why do we believe that Nigerians are so rich that they only don't want to spend?
If we assume that the daily cost of feeding an individual is N200, that is N6,000 monthlly
Why do you think people risk their lives to leave Nigeria - look at the number of people who have perished trying to cross the Mediterranean

undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by DrKitaun(m): 12:03am On Mar 15, 2010
Truly

what proof? That Raji Rasaki himself would have demolished the place but lost his wife and child to the cause instead?
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by honeric01(m): 6:44am On Mar 15, 2010
truly:

@honeric01

Mr man, stop encouraging indiscipline, why would someone build shanties all over the places just because he or she says shops are too expensive? with the way you have been typing since, i bet if you were a governor, you won't do Nada for 16 terms because you won't be able to do anything out of being too sentimental about issues. it's not the governor that's going to feed those who think they are hungry, it's not him, what he can only do is provide enabling environment for all to make their lives better and that's what he's trying to do. you can never satisfy everyone, do you know that alot of people have no business in Lagos but they won't leave because of shame, they build shanties all over the city calling them shops, selling things not even up to #5k in total, blocking drainage, polluting the whole environments, blocking traffic and all other stuffs like that.

if Lagos is just not it for you, why not try somewhere else where they allow shanties, kwoisk, containers, blocking of drainage, polluting the whole environment? there are states all over Nigeria you can go do all these things, Lagos was once an indiscipline state, now she's trying to change for the better and those who can't stand the change should relocate to where they can be more comfortable doing business and living life the old way.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by sayso: 8:12am On Mar 15, 2010
The government should make adequate alternative for those affected,do not develop the cities and make life difficult for citizens.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 15, 2010
@ all,

i think i am beginning to see a pattern here - these fashola detractors are opposition agents who are using nairaland to craft their strategies for a 2011 smear campaign.

they start off with ridiculous allegations which are refuted - then they go back and fine tune these allegations based on feedback from replies.

eventually, we will have swift boat type allegations, wholly false, impossible to countyer, but capabale of casting indelibe stains on fashola's credibility.

responding to these pdp stalwarts may actually be aiding them.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by honeric01(m): 9:34am On Mar 15, 2010
sayso:

The government should make adequate alternative for those affected,do not develop the cities and make life difficult for citizens.

Developing a slum will always make life difficult for the slum dwellers, so there's no way it can be done without making life difficult for them.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by truly: 6:01pm On Mar 15, 2010
@honeric01
Mr man, stop encouraging indiscipline,
I do not think that Ajelogo was put up there illegally! The place is just too big to have come up without some approval

i bet if you were a governor, you won't do Nada for 16 terms because you won't be able to do anything out of being too sentimental about issues.
Actually, life is about sentiments. Otherwise Nigeria, a developing country, would not be making donations to Haiti. Life is about compassion, caring etc

it's not the governor that's going to feed those who think they are hungry,
Nor is it for a governor to take away means of livelihood

what he can only do is provide enabling environment  you can never satisfy everyone
we are saying let us have the enabling environment for the poor too and not satisfy only the rich which your explanation further confirms. I wish he had mentioned that he would have catered only to the rich if he was elected.
We are saying that the same people are buying shops all over - New Oshodi, New Tejuosho, New Ajelogo etc
They are priced out of the reach of the original people displaced

do you know that alot of people have no business in Lagos but they won't leave because of shame,
those who can't stand the change should relocate to where they can be more comfortable doing business and living life the old way

Actually, the rest of the world should also believe that Africa has no business being in the world. Africa brings to the world only news of war, disease, poverty, etc
Coming back home - I know that what you are advocating is a beggar-my-neighbour policy
And what should happen to indigenous Lagosians who don't make the cut - we uproot them from their ancestral homes?
and of course dump them on those "foolish" states who become the waste dump for this new Lagos
The per capita GDP of Nigeria is about $1,500 @ N150:$1 = N225,000 or N18,750 monthly
Given that we have one of the highest income inequalities in the world, only a very few Nigerians will be living in those dream cities
What is the difference between that and apartheid? Just imagine what you would say if colonial masters were doing that? Good intentions, but evil outcome

And to consign people to near perpetual poverty is unfair and perhaps "unGodly"
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by honeric01(m): 6:30pm On Mar 15, 2010
@truly

I can't reply your response, because it was not quoted well, please do me a favor, edit your post.

thanks
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Enjoyment1(f): 6:48pm On Mar 15, 2010
One thing I know for sure is that, nothing good comes without sacrifice.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by eleshin(m): 6:56pm On Mar 15, 2010
i realy dont know d problem of pple,the market belongs to govt not individual,the same govt served them notice of demolition just to develope d place.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Enjoyment1(f): 7:20pm On Mar 15, 2010
eleshin:

i realy dont know d problem of pple,the market belongs to govt not individual,the same govt served them notice of demolition just to develope d place.

My Guy, Nigerians are used to free stuffs and slums. You really have to format their memories to get that removed.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by truly: 7:44pm On Mar 15, 2010
@honeric01
I am sorry
This is a problem I have on this forum. I never see the "quote" button. So I have to manually copy and enbolden posts I want to respond to
Sorry
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by truly: 7:54pm On Mar 15, 2010
@eleshin

So it is not an ILLEGAL market. Then is the government paying compensation? In the original post, the people said they BOUGHT the shops. And of course, we ahould be honest enough to admit that the people displaced will NOT own shops there again. The new shops will be priced above what they can afford
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by honeric01(m): 8:01pm On Mar 15, 2010
truly:

@honeric01
I am sorry
This is a problem I have on this forum. I never see the "quote" button. So I have to manually copy and enbolden posts I want to respond to
Sorry

it's at the upper right hand side of your previous post, check it out, and if you need to quote anyone, check the upper right side of the person's post, then click on the quote, that's all.

truly:

So it is not an ILLEGAL market. Then is the government paying compensation? In the original post, the people said they BOUGHT the shops. And of course, we ahould be honest enough to admit that the people displaced will NOT own shops there again. The new shops will be priced above what they can afford

the main market is the legal one, the other one was a temporary one created by the LG to accommodate those who couldn't find space in the main market, not a legal state market.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by truly: 8:08pm On Mar 15, 2010
@honeric01
Actually the quote button does not appear
I am on another forum that uses the same SMF as Nairaland and I can see the quote button
I actually want to report this matter but I don't know how to report it
I cannot even send or receive PM

On the market issue, people buying shops are not likely to know that a local government does not have the right to set up a market
As far as they are concerned, government is government, LG or SG
Furthermore, they will assume that the LG will have cleared the matter with the SG
Otherwise the Sg would have stopped it
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by DrKitaun(m): 8:17pm On Mar 15, 2010
@Truly

when Govt pays compensation, I will get back to u, NO SINGLE LANDLORD IN AJELOGO CAN LAY CLAIM TO ANY FORM OF OWNERSHIP!
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Enjoyment1(f): 9:16pm On Mar 15, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

@Truly

when Govt pays compensation, I will get back to u, NO SINGLE LANDLORD IN AJELOGO CAN LAY CLAIM TO ANY FORM OF OWNERSHIP!

Sorry if I may ask, how did you know?
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by forpeace: 9:29pm On Mar 15, 2010
Enjoyment1:

Sorry if I may ask, how did you know?

that is because he is the developer in charge. .one of brf's fronts and cronies displacing people and rendering people homeless
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by DrKitaun(m): 4:51am On Mar 16, 2010
1 thing common thing with BRF haters is their UNABASHEDLY DISMAL LEVEL OF COMPREHENSION!

Only a twatty nitwit could still be asking how much I know abt Ajelogo after all my posts in here, next thing they would ask HOW ARE U SURE SEUN OSEWA IS THE OWNER OF NAIRALAND?!!!

Awon oponu!
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Enjoyment1(f): 1:10pm On Mar 16, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

1 thing common thing with BRF haters is their UNABASHEDLY DISMAL LEVEL OF COMPREHENSION!

Only a twatty nitwit could still be asking how much I know abt Ajelogo after all my posts in here, next thing they would ask HOW ARE U SURE SEUN OSEWA IS THE OWNER OF NAIRALAND?!!!

Awon oponu!

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by rethink: 4:25pm On Mar 16, 2010
@fhemmy and winret

From the first page your arguements were partly wrong and partly right.

The solution however is the

USE THE POOR TO BUILD THE AREA

The people of that area will be used to destroy and rebuild the area this will give some sense of ownership to the place and the city.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Fhemmmy: 5:18pm On Mar 16, 2010
rethink:

@fhemmy and winret

The people of that area will be used to destroy and rebuild the area this will give some sense of ownership to the place and the city.

MY thing is, in any development, some people will lose and some will gain . . . .
There is a need for proper planning of Lagos and most of the markets . . .Let them be done well and sanity will prevail
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by wirinet(m): 5:55pm On Mar 16, 2010
rethink:

@fhemmy and winret

At least you you are factoring in the poor. Most of our elites, including the various governments, see the poor as a cancerous ligament that must be excised from the main body of society. The most generous among the elites feels that the poor deserves nothing more than pure water, Okada, keke Napep, some even suggests bicycle. Go to suburban poor neighbourhoods, you will not find tarred roads before you talk of flowers, no pipe borne water( not even boreholes that now cost less than N250,000 in some areas.),No class rooms.  Nothing!. Meanwhile the state budget is meant to be share fairly evenly among the social classes within the society.

Of course your suggestion is one solution. In Israel, it was the Local unemployed members of the society that the government used in building their kabbutz, with farm settlements attached. this was the fulcrum of the Israeli development strategy. And in less that 20 yrs after the creation of Israel, it became a net exporter of agricultural products - with zero unemployment. That shows that the poor can be an assert rather than the nuisance they are made to constitute.

Apart from tribal tension and religious tensions, there is also class tension within the Nigerian society, the rich seems to abhor the poor, while the poor show hated toward the rich. I have seen situation where a jeep slightly hit an okada rider, and you will see lots of other Okada drivers showing aggression to the "rich" man irrespective of who is wrong.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by honeric01(m): 7:02pm On Mar 16, 2010
I think the poor are definitely going to gain from this.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Fhemmmy: 7:52pm On Mar 16, 2010
honeric01:

I think the poor are definitely going to gain from this.

At the long run, yeah
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by honeric01(m): 8:14pm On Mar 16, 2010
Na so, too bad people are too blind to this and always think the govt action is against the poor.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Enjoyment1(f): 9:31pm On Mar 16, 2010
honeric01:

Na so, too bad people are too blind to this and always think the govt action is against the poor.

Some and not all, please. As for this, I wholly support.
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by babapupa: 11:46pm On Mar 16, 2010
While haters dey here dey vex, Lagos State dey move on accordingly.

http://happylagosian..com/2010/03/lagos-state-fire-dept-gets-new-gear.html

Eko o ni baje lai lai l'oju awon olote,
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Enjoyment1(f): 12:17am On Mar 17, 2010
babapupa:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Tears And Anger Roll, As Fashola Destroys Mile 12 Market In Lagos - News by Hardtalk: 12:44am On Mar 17, 2010
babapupa:

But come to think of it, BRF is trying in Lagos, even though I still do not, and will never see any Nigerian leader to be a saint.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Russia Demands Release Of Arrested Sailors / Financial Crisis Hits PDP, Debts Now N872 Million- Trail Newspaper / Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.