Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,234 members, 7,825,906 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos (7029 Views)

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image / Nnamdi Kanu: Yorubas Confess. 60% Real Estate In Lagos Owned By Igbos. Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 12:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

U tell me what it means in Igbo, I am not Benin.

Ikwuano is an Igbo surname....I have two friends with the surname same way Oprah Winfrey name was changed.....they pronounced and call it Oprah while it's okpara....today Onicha ado is now spelled Onitsha ado to separate him from his brothers Onicha ugbo and Onicha urun....which they carved into the region now called south south....

5 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 16, 2017
NwaforIgbo:

Why dont you guys just go and read the book and stop spewing trash. Ignorance is not an excuse, it is available in google books.

Read from chapter 1 - 2 there he explained his origin et al.

Does the benins circumsize?

The "year" was called "ah-affoe" in Olaudah's language

"They calculated our time, and foretold events, as their name imported, for we called
them Ah-affoe-way-cah, which signifies calculators or yearly men, our year being called Ah-affoe"

---- The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, page 11

3 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 16, 2017
NwaforIgbo:
Why dont you guys just go and read the book and stop spewing trash. Ignorance is not an excuse, it is available in google books.

Igbo-phobia dulls the intellect, reduces IQ and results in zombie-ism, mumu-ism, dullardism and other social vices.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by comos: 12:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
NwaforIgbo:

Does the benins circumsize?

Any Benin man in the house should help me answer this Igbo-man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by bakynes(m): 12:17pm On Oct 16, 2017
BudeYahooCom:

Don't you know how to google and buy books on Amazon and ebay. If na 'yahoo yahoo' you go sabi that one. cheesy

Tell your Arabic school alfa to include computer literature in your curriculum even if it will be done in Arabic letters. cheesy
Fool so because of Oladuah, I should buy e-books to know about a fact that doesn't add anything to my life. I have told you I am not a Muslim stop spitting all over this thread with that Bullshit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by victrick105: 12:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
I wonder why u guys are fighting over this person who died hundreds of years ago...whether he was an ibo or not, what present contribution can the history of a dead man add to the igbo people...the benin people can have him if they want, itz not a trophy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by BudeYahooCom: 12:58pm On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

Fool so because of Oladuah, I should buy e-books to know about a fact that doesn't add anything to my life. I have told you I am not a Muslim stop spitting all over this thread with that Bullshit.

Bakirudeen, If it's not going to add anything to your life then why do you want everyone to wallow in the same idiocy as your envy-propelled ignorance claiming that Olaudah is not IGBO when he CLEARLY is and said so himself in his book?

10 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Throwback: 1:21pm On Oct 16, 2017
I first got introduced to the topic of Olaudah Equiano when I watched a BBC documentary about him being from present day Nigeria. That was in year 2001/2002.

I immediately got the encyclopeadia brittanica volume that had his name alphabet and read up on him.

It is stated there that he was from a village near Benin.

Where the Igbo connection came up from is unknown to me.

To be objective, the Igbos have provided strong claims to show why he might be theirs, but does his autobiography state that his village is an Igbo village?

Also, can the Etsako/Benin relate to the cultural description he gave about his childhood and the society of his birth?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 1:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
Throwback:
I first got introduced to the topic of Olaudah Equiano when I watched a BBC documentary about him being from present day Nigeria. That was in year 2001/2002.

I immediately got the encyclopeadia brittanica volume that had his name alphabet and read up on him.

It is stated there that he was from a village near Benin.

Where the Igbo connection came up from is unknown to me.

To be objective, the Igbos have provided strong claims to show why he might be theirs, but does his autobiography state that his village is an Igbo village?

Also, can the Etsako/Benin relate to the cultural description he gave about his childhood and the society of his birth?
Colonial map of Igbo territory shows Igbo and Benin were/are neighbors.

ok. Tell us what Olaudah Equiano could mean in Bini language. We are waiting

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 16, 2017
comos:

Any Benin man in the house should help me answer this Igbo-man
You are not even a benin man but your skewed brain is feeding your empty skull fat lies

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by cooljude(m): 1:29pm On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

If you don't need the fact from reading his biography, why are you arguing emotionally and blindly?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by comos: 1:31pm On Oct 16, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
You are not even a benin man but your skewed brain is feeding your empty skull fat lies

I spit on your empty skull

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Throwback: 1:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Colonial map of Igbo territory shows Igbo and Benin were/are neighbors.

ok. Tell us what Olaudah Equiano could mean in Bini language. We are waiting

I am not here to argue but to learn.

Wherever Olaudah comes from whether from Etsako/Benin or Igbo, it does not diminish the history that the southern tribes of West African coast suffered the curse and blessings of being close to the sea.

I am likewise waiting for those who will argue for the Etsako case. What does his name mean in that language, and does his cultural description of his native society identify with present day or historical Etsako/Benin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 16, 2017
Throwback:

I am not here to argue but to learn.

Wherever Olaudah comes from whether from Etsako/Benin or Igbo, it does not diminish the history that the southern tribes of West African coast suffered the curse and blessings of being close to the sea.

I am likewise waiting for those who will argue for the Etsako case. What does his name mean in that language, and does his cultural description of his native society identify with present day or historical Etsako/Benin.

Olachi/Olachukwu (God’s pearl/jewel)
Olaedo/ Onaedo (Gold/ Precious)
Olanma (Beautiful pearl)

Olaudah (sonorous pearl)

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 16, 2017
comos:

I spit on your empty skull
Your mouth is dry like your
Skull so try to do aanother thing

4 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by lamarrj(m): 2:50pm On Oct 16, 2017
So much tribal bigotry here on NL. We need to end this, it's not cool.
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Amarabae(f): 2:57pm On Oct 16, 2017
Thank you giftq for this extract
"in one of the most remote and fertile of which, called Eboe, I was born, in the year 1745, in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. "

---- The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, page 2
The enemies of Igbos have launched another distortation war but we will DEFEAT THEM,
gone are the days they controlled the media.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
Amarabae:
Thank you giftq for this extract
"in one of the most remote and fertile of which, called Eboe, I was born, in the year 1745, in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. "

The enemies of Igbos have launched another distortation war but we will DEFEAT THEM,
gone are the days they controlled the media.

They just refuse to read, they only spread Igbo-phobic rumors.
Europeans of old frequently referred to Igbo as Eboe.

2 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Amarabae(f): 3:02pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

They just refuse to read, they only spread Igbo-phobic rumors.
Europeans of old frequently referred to Igbo as Eboe.
thank you nwanne for a strong fight against them,
ji si ike, if we close mouth, they will continue to distort history,
the era of being apologetic is gone, if they hit you, hit them back harder.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 16, 2017
Oladuah nah original 419 guy man. The man was born in America . He listened to stories from slaves coming out of Africa which he used to form they basis for hs own life story. He made up all the names his included. Hence the confusion.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 16, 2017
Amarabae:
thank you nwanne for a strong fight against them,
ji si ike, if we close mouth, they will continue to distort history,
the era of being apologetic is gone, if they hit you, hit them back harder.
No wahala my sister.
Ara ga-agba ndi ara.

Igbo amaka grin grin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Basic123: 4:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
BudeYahooCom:

Your muslim anti-Igbo ewedu-dripping mouth can cry to Allah 100 times the truth remains that Olaudah in his book made it very clear he is Eboe (Igbo) without leaving a shred of doubt, he only passed through benin enroute to slavery. We know you this but can't live with the fact that the great Igbo man is being celebrated globally due to your prehistoric envy. Pls die if you want to. cheesy cheesy

Fact number 1.
He translated his name Ikwuano (Equiano) Olaudah (which mean loud voice in Igbo). What does Olaudah mean in Edo or yoruba (as you would like to claim by extension)?

Fact 2
He mentioned 'Esseke' which is a town actually spelt Iseke in Ihiala local government area Anambra of today. I am from Ihiala and today a 45 minute drive from Ihiala will get you into the region that was the old benin empire. You see the proximity? grin

Fact 3
In his book, he mentioned our Igbo for market days as 'Oye' (Orie) 'Ukwo' (Nkwo) 'Ah-for' (Afor) 'Ekeh' (Eke). Where does benin come in here?

Cry till you die, grit your muslim teeth till you quench with hate. Everyone knows Olaudah remain IGBO as every true historian knows. Bitter pill for you right? grin

igbo and islamophobia

They will kill asari dokubo if biafra is actualized cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Basic123: 4:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
This OP is not serious.
THE GUY IS IGBO!,PERIOD.WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL IN THAT.
AND THE IGBO PEOPLE NO EVEN ATTACK THE EDOs NA YORUBAS THEM DEY ATTACK.
NA SO DEM FEAR EDO PEOPLE?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by nengibo: 4:28pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Where is present day Essaka and what does oladuah mean
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 16, 2017
nengibo:

Where is present day Essaka and what does oladuah mean
Olanma (Beautiful pearl)

Olaudah (sonorous pearl)

Essaka was a mis-spelling of Isieke in Onitsha area

1 Like

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by nengibo: 4:30pm On Oct 16, 2017
Basic123:

igbo and islamphobia

They will kill asari dokubo if biafra is actualized cool
Asari doesn't believe in any rubbish biafra he just wants to destroy Buharis govt by all means.
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by nengibo: 4:34pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Olanma (Beautiful pearl)

Olaudah (sonorous pearl)

Essaka was a mis-spelling of Isieke in Onitsha area
Does Benin have any alternative meaning for his name and the location of his birth, but abeg how can a pearl be sonorous and is there any popular person answering the name presently
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 16, 2017
nengibo:

Does Benin have any alternative meaning for his name and the location of his birth, but abeg how can a pearl be sonorous and is there any popular person answering the name presently
Is there any Yoruba person answering Afonja?

2 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by nengibo: 4:39pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Is there any Yoruba person answering Afonja?
Yes funny enough there is a Yoruba movie actor answering afonja
https://www.nairaland.com/4115921/olaniyi-afonja-sanyeri-celebrates-43rd

Can you answer my question now?

2 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 16, 2017
nengibo:

Yes funny enough there is a Yoruba movie actor answering afonja
https://www.nairaland.com/4115921/olaniyi-afonja-sanyeri-celebrates-43rd

Can you answer my question now?
Mgbeke is an Igbo name, though not many girls answer Mgbeke nowadays.

Olanma (Beautiful pearl)

Olaudah (sonorous pearl)

2 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by nengibo: 4:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Mgbeke is an Igbo name, though not many girls answer Mgbeke nowadays.

Olanma (Beautiful pearl)

Olaudah (sonorous pearl)
Mgbeke is a wrong instance to use because its more of an insult than a name nowadays, so its clear why not many people bear mgbeke, while olaudah if it means sonorous pearl is a beautiful name that should be popular because of its meaning

Mgbeke
Definition: an unrefined girl especially from the eastern part of Nigeria Example: once Ngozi talk everybody go just know say she be mgbeke

Source:
http://www.naijalingo.com/words/mgbeke
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 16, 2017
nengibo:

Mgbeke is a wrong instance to use because its more of an insult than a name nowadays, so its clear why not many people bear mgbeke, while olaudah if it means sonorous pearl is a beautiful name that should be popular because of its meaning

Mgbeke
Definition: an unrefined girl especially from the eastern part of Nigeria Example: once Ngozi talk everybody go just know say she be mgbeke

Source:
http://www.naijalingo.com/words/mgbeke
Mgbeke = a girl born on Eke day

Okeke / Okereke = a boy born on Eke day

Over time, Mgbeke turned to insult.

That is the dynamism of culture for you.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023: Yahaya Bello Supporters Inauguarate Plateau Exco, To Begin Mobilization / Abductions: Kashim Shettima Meets Stakeholders & Security Agencies In Kaduna / Boko Haram Denies The Nta Dialogue Tape. Wasn't Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.