Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,810 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor (38114 Views)

Gabriel Irabor. Dynamic CEO on the Cover Of Royal Diamond Magazine International / Sweet Sixteen JAMB 2018 / Deeper Than Love- Stories By Sarah Irabor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by LemuelIrabor: 9:59pm On Nov 07, 2017
Friday, 5th Oct. is up for grabs.

smiley

Mynd44, anochuko01, sureteeboy, rosy4u, Darla, Amefricaa, Vivipop, folakemigeh, IamLucy, Henitan24, dominique, DanseMacabre, Divepen1, Lleigh, Creeza, Kayceenaz, Chumzypinky, Ayoomodaddy, uzolexis, KimberlyWest, aobmedia2017, duch12, marianneada, marenx, FreshestManny, DanseMacabre,WaffenSS, Skilful01, armadeo, newslifeop, lalasticlala, lordpriso
souloho19, talk2saintify, SurestG, sirblero, queenitee, ayorinbolableszy, uchihaclassiq, ftosino, Itzmoneyman1, Auric, EvaJael, Jbfranklin, armadeo

A special invitation to a namesake:

mrlemuel

smiley

1 Like

Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by muhammed50(m): 5:19am On Nov 08, 2017
Name of father: Marcus Name of mother: ................
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by Afz9095(m): 10:39am On Nov 08, 2017
Father's name : Marcus Mother's name: Mary
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by AminatOpe247: 10:40am On Nov 08, 2017
Name of mother. Marilyn.
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by LemuelIrabor: 7:49am On Nov 09, 2017
Friday, 5th October (contd)

Hahaha!

Guess what?

I just spoke to Joe on the phone.
Debo got the chewing gum treatment too.

Joe says it happened during the after-school Math class.
This time, it was a pink gum.

(I said nothing!)

Eep!

But it brings up a little complication though.

If Debo got 'gummed', who then put the gum on my seat?
Who is the 'Chewing Gum Attacker' ?

Finally, Laura spoke to me.
Even if it was an 'excuse me', as I'd been obstructing the doorway to the patio.

Mrs Adesuwa was pleased with my work and invited me in to an early dinner at their place.
I politely declined, my gut still a lil' sore.
But she insisted I had something, so I munched some peanuts and ate a banana, washing them down with warm cocoa.

Obrigada, señora Adesuwa!

1 Like

Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by LemuelIrabor: 7:50am On Nov 09, 2017
Saturday, 6th Oct.

Great!
Just great!

Marvel and his great ideas..
And why the hell do Dad and Mom LISTEN to him?

First,he gets the 'wise' buzz that our internet provider's been cheating us out of our money; then he gets Dad to subscribe to a new one whose advert he 'saw on TV', cheaper and offering more bandwidth, but TOO SLOW!

I almost broke the screen in frustration while doing homework today.Just wait till I get my own laptop. Pfft! Little brothers.
(Grrr..)

Next, he tells Mom the house is looking drab and could do with some cleaning.
''That's very thoughtful of you, kiddo.'',Mom said, smiling ear to ear.

"Go get Martin."

I grew red.
I hate housework. I don't think it's for girls alone, but I hate being assigned to do it.I prefer to do it whenever I feel like or want to.

"Okay, son.You just tell the dust to fall 'whenever you like or want to' and then I'll let you off.", Mom had said sweetly when I'd grumbled once.

Ah, bummer!

I hung out at Joe's afterwards.

'Hung out'.

Yeah, right. Can't really call it that though.
Not if you got a backdrop of homework to finish before Monday. All thanks to the obnoxious Mr Abdullateef.

In case you missed it, the new system at school has been: no homework during the week (because of afterschool lessons) , all homework on Fridays.
So, you get the picture.

Kid Snozzle was there too.At Joe's.
So, we got our homework done relatively slower, throwing jokes and cracking wise throughout.

“Hey Martin-man's a whiz in Math.”, Kid Snozzle patted me on the back.

I hate that. Pats on the back.
I mean, that's for favourite horses or dogs or something, not humans.

Joe, sensing the angst, said, "Why don't you take it out on him in a game of Chess?"
I did.
Defeating him twice before I went home.

Saturday night traffic.
Thanks to those party animals Lagos is full of.

Got home past my curfew.Was punished by being assigned time in the garden tomorrow, shovelling leaves and raking trash.

That's no way to treat a brother.

And so here I am again, dreading weekends and wishing for eternal Mondays.

Again.

1 Like

Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by LemuelIrabor: 7:55am On Nov 09, 2017
Here's some more.
Don't forget to leave a comment.

smiley

Mynd44, anochuko01, sureteeboy, rosy4u, Darla, Amefricaa, Vivipop, folakemigeh, IamLucy, Henitan24, dominique, DanseMacabre, Divepen1, Lleigh, Creeza, Kayceenaz, Chumzypinky, Ayoomodaddy, uzolexis, KimberlyWest, aobmedia2017, duch12, marianneada, marenx, FreshestManny, DanseMacabre,WaffenSS, Skilful01, armadeo, newslifeop, lalasticlala, lordpriso
souloho19, talk2saintify, SurestG, sirblero, queenitee, ayorinbolableszy, uchihaclassiq, ftosino, Itzmoneyman1, Auric, EvaJael, Jbfranklin, armadeo,
mrlemuel
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by Nobody: 8:58am On Nov 09, 2017
Marvel is the last child of your parents. So, his ideas are always accepted.
Your mommas' name I suppose would be Mariam.

The update(s) is becoming too short embarassed
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by Jbfranklin: 4:37pm On Nov 10, 2017
LemuelIrabor:
Here's some more.

smiley

Jbfranklin
Special: thanks bro am here.
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by FreshestManny(m): 7:27pm On Nov 11, 2017
LemuelIrabor:
Here's some more.

smiley

souloho19, talk2saintify, SurestG, sirblero, queenitee, ayorinbolableszy, uchihaclassiq, ftosino, Itzmoneyman1, Auric, EvaJael, Jbfranklin, armadeo,
mrlemuel

Yes sir! Present Sir! Never absent sir!
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by Auric(m): 12:55pm On Nov 13, 2017
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by talk2saintify(m): 7:54pm On Nov 13, 2017
Attentive Attentionalism tongue

1 Like

Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by LemuelIrabor: 7:47am On Nov 16, 2017
Sunday, 7 Oct.

'A-ma-zing grace,
How sweet the sound...'

Yeah, we're in church right now.
Dad and I are all suited up.
(Credits: Hugo Boss and Armani.

Hey, Dad always goes for the best).

Marvel's in flannel and jeans, and the distaff side are wearing matching blue gowns and Tectonic-made hats.

As you would expect, Dad and Mom are seated together in front .Martha and I prefer to seat in the middle pew, albeit in different positions on different rows.

Marvel?

He-he!

Bro. is sitting directly in front of our parents so he dares not sleep!

He already dozed twice and sharp kicks on the shin from Mom's right shoe had called him to order on both occasions.

'...that saved a wretch like me...'

Oh, this is my favourite hymn.
It was the hymn that played that Tuesday evening when I answered the altar call, knelt down and gave my life to Jesus.
Over the years, I've built a relationship with him.
Ever since then, despite life's daily dish of problems, it's been pure bliss.

'I once was lost,
But now I'm found'

As I sang, my mind drifted to the things I'd done in the past.
Things I'm not proud of.

Don't get me wrong. I've always been a 'good' kid.

In fact, for the record, I'd only ever been in three fights (W1 L2) throughout my 'kidhood'.
You might think that's too much till you hear about Marvel's thirteen and Martha's—surprising—seven.

Martha's specialty as a wee girl was beating up anyone who tried to bully Marvel or who said unkind things about our family.
It was a big surprise that she grew to be such a lady. She doesn't even raise her voice anymore.

Anyway, the most spectacular fight I ever got into was one in which I fought a girl (and lost).
Wait, wait..

I was a skinny seven year-old and she was a Norbit's wife-kinda-girl. So, don't blame me.

Lemme explain:

I'd been out in the yard playing a football game with discarded bottle-tops.
Playing alone, 'cause Martha and Marvel had interested themselves in riding their Cars set in the living room.
I fondly remember that Martha had been trying to assign female names to the toys, with a milk-teethed Marvel wailing his protest.

Then comes Sandra, flabby-cheeked.
She lived next door.
“Whatchu' doin', Martie?”

I eagerly showed her my 'teams' and explained how I played.
Beady-eyed Sandra just couldn't understand.

“Dumb,”, she said at length, “this game is lame.”

My puerile cheeks flushed.
“It's not lame.”, I defended hotly.

“Just because it isn't about dollies doesn't make it lame.”

“It's dumb.”

“It's not.”

Sandra shoved me. I'd always hated being shoved.

Blinded by anger, I dove at her, my head connecting her abdomen and bringing her down.

That was a bad idea.

Sandra maneuvred her body until she was sitting astride my chest and pinning my arms painfully to my sides with her knees.

I could hear Martha and Marvel screaming for Mom in the background.

To cut the whole thing short, I walked into the house that evening with one tooth out of place, a black eye and sore arms.

That wasn't all.

Mom gave me the yelling of my life as she carefully treated my wounds.
When Dad returned later, I got the belt.

Wait..
Why am I writing this stuff?

Maybe it's because Sandra's sitting right before me in church.
She'd lost some of the childhood fat, but she is still mighty corpulent.
It appears she's a second-year Mass Communication student now.

I wonder what Joe would say if he was here.

“..was blind,
but now, I see.”

I love going to church, don't get me wrong.
But there's just a special kinda relief that washes over me when we say Grace.
I just can't explain it.

I just finished my punishment in the yard.My arms are sore as hell.
Martha went with our parents to a naming ceremony.
Martha was so ecstatic, you'd think she was the baby's grandma or something.

What's with girls and babies?

Did homework.
Called Joe, but couldn't get through.

Was hungry and cooked some porridge.
Martha's been trying to get me to be chef-of-the-year, so I've been learning a few tricks.

I going to end this with a quote from Reinhard Bonnke;

“You may feel lost in a sea of people but remember, Jesus knows you by name.
He knows your story. He knows your pain. And he loves you the same.”

—Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke.

5 Likes

Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by LemuelIrabor: 7:55am On Nov 16, 2017
I know y'all been waiting for this.

smiley

mrlemuel, Explorers
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by ftosino(m): 10:58am On Nov 16, 2017
nice update.
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by centitan(m): 9:46pm On Nov 17, 2017
nice one boss... more ink to your pen. keep it coming.
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by Nobody: 12:00am On Nov 18, 2017
Which one is 'Almighty Divepen' again na? shocked
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by Nobody: 12:03am On Nov 18, 2017
Is Denola Grey starring as the character(martin)? Denola loves the brand Hugo Boss.

Na wa...
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by Jbfranklin: 7:11am On Nov 18, 2017
cool update bro so cool....
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by SurestG(f): 7:16am On Nov 18, 2017
Was away for a while. Still enjoying the ride. Well done Op
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by NisforNicky: 10:23pm On Nov 19, 2017
wow, ayam luvn dis o. but duro na, una sure say dis op be naija person so? e be lyk say na yankee im dey. cheesy cheesy cheesy I dey folow bak2bak o.
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by EvaJael(f): 9:34am On Nov 20, 2017
Enjoying every bit of it
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by Oluwakemi65(f): 7:22pm On Nov 20, 2017
Following sir. I love d characters especially Joe I'm now interested in puns. PS: when u update again share popcorn oh....
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by talk2saintify(m): 11:52am On Nov 25, 2017
EvaJael:
Enjoying every bit of it

Dear yhur Here!!

So Sad I Missed Out On the Ending Part Of Hidden Diamonds

Yhu Deleted Most Updates!!

Was Kinda Busy with Some Stuffs

It well Sha embarassed
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by EvaJael(f): 12:05pm On Nov 25, 2017
talk2saintify:

Dear yhur Here!!

So Sad I Missed Out On the Ending Part Of Hidden Diamonds

Yhu Deleted Most Updates!!

Was Kinda Busy with Some Stuffs

It well Sha embarassed
Yeah I'm here o. I didn't delete anything o.
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by talk2saintify(m): 12:18pm On Nov 25, 2017
EvaJael:

Yeah I'm here o. I didn't delete anything o.
Really
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by HORLADSTAR(m): 2:52pm On Nov 25, 2017
I dey follow dis una story like neva before ,so more mb to ur data
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by NisforNicky: 10:35am On Nov 28, 2017
HORLADSTAR:
I dey follow dis una story like neva before ,so more mb to ur data

lol cheesy
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by NisforNicky: 10:36am On Nov 28, 2017
hmmm na where diz Op go o cheesy #bringbackourOp
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by HORLADSTAR(m): 9:27pm On Nov 28, 2017
NisforNicky:
hmmm na where diz Op go o cheesy
#bringbackourOp

Seconded
Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by LemuelIrabor: 9:35pm On Dec 01, 2017
Monday, Oct. 8

Ungh!

Darn!

What a way to wake up!

It appears Malcolmn is the hood's new alarm clock. The canine begins a bout of resounding and insistent barks everyday by 4am. It's almost like he's got an alarm clock schedule in his DNA or something.

Now, I'm up..30 minutes ahead of schedule. I can't go back to sleep (thanks, once more, to Malcomn's antics) and I can't start preparing for school yet. Blast! What a spot to be in..

Luckily, I'd prepared (not exactly) for this situation. Reaching underneath my pillow, I pulled out my copy of George Orwell's 1984. We have it on the Literature curriculum, but I just haven't gotten down to read it yet.

04:30.
It's wonderful how time flies when you're NOT having fun. Yeah, NOT.
Turns out, I couldn't concentrate on the book and managed to get to page 2 before my brain zoned out on me.
How am I supposed to finish this text in time for the WASSCE?

Rather than relax on my bed—and risk dozing off—as I waited for time to pass, I got up to take an early shower. I turned on the light and looked around the room.
Marvel was, you guessed right, snoring again. A bubble of yellow snot rose and ebbed as he breathed.
Gross!

I rushed to the toilet and tore off some toilet paper. Getting back, I smacked Marvel awake.
Martin-style.
He-he.

“Wha? Huh?” , a bemused Marvel woke up with a start.

“Blow your nose, bro.”, I said, and noticing a shiny line of drool starting from his mouth to just under his ear, I added, “And mop up your brow. Geez! What were you dreaming about? Ice cream?”

Marvel yawned as he began to make himself presentable.
''What time is it, Mart?''

''Seventeen to five. You've got to wake up.''

Marvel yawned again. ''Can I have five more minutes?'', he rubbed his eyes.

My brother may be close to hitting puberty, but his wake-up routine had not changed one bit.
It was always the usual: Drool, snot, rubs of the eye and the 'can I have five minutes?' skit.
Bro. looked..looks so...adorable.

''Five minutes , Marv and no more.'', I said not even believing my own words.

Marv actually slept for 30 and thanks to that, we nearly missed getting dropped off by Mom.

Lil' brothers..

School was..well, school.
'Twas all routine stuff mostly today.

Theresa spoke to me!
Wait..why did I let the cat outta the bag?
Ah, bummer!

Here's how it happened though:

We'd just ended the AS Math lessons.

Pretty much everyone burst through the door at the sound of the bell.
'Saved by the bell'.
Yeah, right.

As we'd walked out of the premises, Joe, The Kid and I had been discussing the next big project to get ourselves into. I'd been suggesting we do something agro-allied while Joe argued we should build replicas of old war weapons (I guess it's just the Historian in him).

“C'mon, Joe.”, I let out a frustrated sigh. ''Who cares about war machines that went out of date before our parents could count to two?''

Joe snickered.
“That's the thing with you, Mart. You care too much about the future without giving emphasis to the past. The past is the foundation for the future. There never woulda been no jet fighter if they hadn't been an air balloon.”

Kid Snozzle drank from his La Casera drink noisily.
“Why don't we just do a survey or an essay on, say, what the biggest problems of the school are?”

OK, we were going nowhere with this.

Besides, we'd arrived at the school gate.

“All right, Akin”, I shook hands with Kid Snozzle, “see ya tomorrow.”

The Kid adjusted his bag and took off in one direction.

Joe and Yours Truly turned in the other direction , chatting about football as went.

When..

“Hold that thought. I forgot to collect my Math notebook from Kid Snozzle!”

“..and we've got a pop quiz tomorrow.” , I completed for him.

Joe and I did a 'bro hug' as he turned and ran towards Akin's direction. The Kid appeared as a tiny dot in the distance.

Whistling Bill Wither's Lean on Me , I continued homewards.

As I passed Pierre's (a Camerounian who worked as a janitor in our school) tuck shop, I spied a girl in Bedford High colours patronizing the store.

Probably one of the girls grabbing a 'sneaky snack'.. , I thought.

That was, until she turned.

Theresa.

Theresa Okoli.

And once again, there were tears in her eyes.

Now, Tessy and I may not be best of buddies right now, but there's this thing about seen a woma..er, lady in pain that touches me deep down.

Tessy turned and began to walk away sharply, using the inside of her left arm to wipe her face.

“Theresa, wait up.”, I jogged to catch up with her.

But she wouldn't stop. And boy, was she fast?

The sky was turning a shimmering grey. Winds, such as preceded heavy downpours ruffled leaves of the raffia grown to decorate the street, clothes that hung in front of the dressmaker's and tossed bits of paper, foil and light rubbish about.

“Tessy”, I had caught up with her now and held her arm.
She tried to yank her arm away, but I exercised my inner man.

“Let me go, you..you—”

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN

1 Like

Re: Life And A Sixteen-year-old By Lemuel Irabor by talk2saintify(m): 4:24pm On Dec 02, 2017
LemuelIrabor:
Monday, Oct. 8

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN

Graphic Photos Watin Na embarassed embarassed embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tears Of A Soldier............ A Military War Story / The River / Love Cycle [pre-destiny]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.