Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women (7890 Views)

Poll: Does divorce makes men more suicidal than women?

Yes: 48% (15 votes)
No: 51% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) / Sexist Men More Likely To Prefer Women With Bigger Breasts / Are Married Men More Responsible Than Single Men? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by spoilt(f): 4:06am On Mar 18, 2010
^^^^^^ Save your prayers for the suicidal men. I'm good.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 4:08am On Mar 18, 2010
spoilt:

^^^^^^ Save your prayers for the suicidal men. I'm good.

--sighs-- more prayers needed than expected cry cry
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sissy3(f): 5:02am On Mar 18, 2010
makes sense that they would be more suicidal than women. apart from divorce men generally have a higher suicidal rate than women.

many people sink into deep clinical depression after/during divorce but i think the rate of suicidal is higher for men than women because women tend to have a large support group than men. they are more willing to join support group, seek therapy than men. few men tend to seek therapy during hard times like divorce, they prefer to deal with the problems/burdens themselves in part due to the societal expectation of 'masculinity' and when most cant deal with it, they turn to the easiest method they know. . . . suicide.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 5:29am On Mar 18, 2010
~Sissy~:

makes sense that they would be more suicidal than women. apart from divorce men generally have a higher suicidal rate than women.

many people sink into deep clinical depression after/during divorce but i think the rate of suicidal is higher for men than women because women tend to have a large support group than men. they are more willing to join support group, seek therapy than men. few men tend to seek therapy during hard times like divorce, they prefer to deal with the problems/burdens themselves in part due to the societal expectation of 'masculinity' and when most cant deal with it, they turn to the easiest method they know. . . . suicide.

well said sweet heart, well said kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sissy3(f): 5:35am On Mar 18, 2010
how are you dear?

i wonder why you're still alive after our divorce
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 5:41am On Mar 18, 2010
~Sissy~:

how are you dear?

i wonder why you're still alive after our divorce

it wasn't easy, i thank God for white women lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed they have been very helpful, after i told them they r like angels compared to u tongue
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sagamite(m): 8:23am On Mar 18, 2010
This:

spoilt:

Light is never shed on the poor everyday women who after years of marriage get nothing!!!!! Yet they have the kids and all the work that comes with being a single mother. Those miserly child support checks do absolutely nothing. That check is so insignificant compared to the person who is doing the actual raising of the kids.

Justifies this:

spoilt:

People only hear about the athlete that lost everything to a bimbo. Or the skank that got half of everything after a short marriage. My take on that? Serves them right!

*Shakes head*

Unbelievable thought system. undecided
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sagamite(m): 8:25am On Mar 18, 2010
FL Gators:

You would think so, keep kidding yourself.
Make she show you one good hot night, you  go forget neptup [abi what is it called again?]

lol grin grin grin

You did not think for one second that when I start sampling her she would be screaming and signing anything I tell her to sign.  tongue grin
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by chic2pimp(m): 5:23pm On Mar 18, 2010
Sagamite:

lol grin grin grin

You did not think for one second that when I start sampling her she would be screaming and signing anything I tell her to sign. tongue grin
Abi ooo grin grin
She think say nah only the Man dey Enjoy intimacy. Mschewwww
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sissy3(f): 12:14pm On Mar 19, 2010
na2day?:

it wasn't easy, i thank God for white women lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed they have been very helpful, after i told them they r like angels compared to u tongue

dey there na dey do 'white me,white women' i hear sef, their own method is more deadly and more painful than suicide shocked tongue
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 6:11pm On Mar 19, 2010
~Sissy~:

dey there na dey do 'white me,white women' i hear sef, their own method is more deadly and more painful than suicide shocked tongue

that's why i am not marrying them, just using them to recover all u have taken away from me wink wink tongue tongue
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sissy3(f): 9:39pm On Mar 19, 2010
thank you for letting me in on ur secret cos now they will know
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Nobody: 9:48pm On Mar 19, 2010
Sagamite:

lol grin grin grin

You did not think for one second that when I start sampling her she would be screaming and signing anything I tell her to sign.  tongue grin
grin cheesy grin No comment again
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 3:04am On Mar 20, 2010
~Sissy~:

thank you for letting me in on your secret cos now they will know

too late, i have switched to chinese women lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue tongue
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sissy3(f): 5:21am On Mar 20, 2010
na2day?:

too late, i have switched to chinese women lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue tongue

chinese ke? u'r on ur own then. goodluck, cos u will need alots of it
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 5:28am On Mar 20, 2010
~Sissy~:

chinese ke? u'r on your own then. goodluck, cos u will need alots of it

why? there women are very submissive grin grin all i need say is, give me all the money and she will do it tongue tongue
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sissy3(f): 5:36am On Mar 20, 2010
submissive ke? dats y i wished u luck
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 6:46am On Mar 20, 2010
~Sissy~:

submissive ke? dats y i wished u luck

they are, moreover what can they do to me? i have both the combine skills of Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee cool
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by idifu(m): 10:30pm On Mar 21, 2010
sad
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sissy3(f): 10:32pm On Mar 21, 2010
chop stick is the keyword grin grin
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Busybody2(f): 10:56pm On Mar 21, 2010
Er. . . innocent question from an inquisitive mind who loves learning . . . Is the ex-wife still entitled to the dead (even death by suicide) husband's life insurance policy even after she has already been paid half of the man's wealth during the divorce settlement?
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 11:14pm On Mar 21, 2010
~Sissy~:

chop stick is the keyword grin grin

i use those as chewing sticks tongue tongue tongue tongue

Busy_body:

Er. . . innocent question from an inquisitive mind who loves learning . . . Is the ex-wife still entitled to the dead (even death by suicide) husband's life insurance policy even after she has already been paid half of the man's wealth during the divorce settlement?

wickedness in the highest place! angry angry angry angry u are here by divorced! angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by PupetMasta(m): 8:50pm On Mar 25, 2010
Is it true pre-nupt is not possible in the UK? (please God dont let it be true). I think it is about time divorce laws be ammended in the Western world. I think Alimony should be scraped or modified in the divorce act/law.

Allimony should be replaced wiv a house wife pension scheme. The pension scheme should mandate husbands to contribute into it while he is married to her especilly if she is a full housewife, when they get divorced she gets her pension regularly, the man does not need to pay her alimony. If she not a housewife (ie she works, she should live within her means (salary), the guy should only have obligation to the kid (s) )In the case of child support, the man should not be made to pay the child support alone, the woman should also be made to pay, The man did not make the baby alone.

If by chance I did not get a pre-nupt b4 the marriage and she wants to take me to the cleaners in case we divorce, God knows I will go OJ Simpson on her.

That 50 cent case is funny, that is a classical case of gold digging. Who was the stupid lawyer that advised her she can get half of his property. On what basis does she want to claim half of his procession? did she write the lyrics of his first album? or did design the G-Unit sneakers? I think a jail term should come swith Gold digging.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 6:41am On Mar 26, 2010
PupetMasta:

Is it true pre-nupt is not possible in the UK? (please God dont let it be true). I think it is about time divorce laws be ammended in the Western world. I think Alimony should be scraped or modified in the divorce act/law.

are u for real? shocked shocked shocked that's it! i ain't getting married in the UK then cry cry
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sagamite(m): 9:53am On Mar 26, 2010
PupetMasta:

Allimony should be replaced wiv a house wife pension scheme. The pension scheme should mandate husbands to contribute into it while he is married to her especilly if she is a full housewife, when they get divorced she gets her pension regularly, the man does not need to pay her alimony. If she not a housewife (ie she works, she should live within her means (salary), the guy should only have obligation to the kid (s) )In the case of child support, the man should not be made to pay the child support alone, the woman should also be made to pay, The man did not make the baby alone.

If by chance I did not get a pre-nupt b4 the marriage and she wants to take me to the cleaners in case we divorce, God knows I will go OJ Simpson on her.

That 50 cent case is funny, that is a classical case of gold digging. Who was the silly lawyer that advised her she can get half of his property. On what basis does she want to claim half of his procession? did she write the lyrics of his first album? or did design the G-Unit sneakers? I think a jail term should come swith Gold digging.

Pre-nup is possible in the UK but it is not legally binding (basically the law does not demand a judge to respect it).

It is at the judges discretion whether to factor or utilise it in a case. Judges are increasingly respecting pre-nups in the UK, and it is becoming a key influencer of judgements.

I personally believe if a woman has sacrificed her career for an extended period of time to become a housewife then alimony is relevant and a must. How is she suppose to feed herself up to the point of retirement? How will a woman that has been off work for 20 years going to get reasonable employment that might suit her potential?

So to me, Alimony is valid in some cases. What I have disdain for is the blanket (not selective) application of alimony by the stuupid western legal system and non-incorporation of limits, potential and flexibilities in its applications. Hence leading to some people having to work whilst baboon chops. These pernicious laws have proven to be denigrating for the institution of marriage.

For example, a woman that is married for 7 years, who had a career and has been out of work for 5 years as a housewife can easily still get back to work within a few years. She is not entitled to some big pay check to "maintain her lifestyle she is used to" and paid alimony for life at extortionary levels. In such a case, assets can be allocated on contribution basis and the spouse can pay alimony for about 3-5 years and whatever she makes of her life after that is her business. She has had 3-5 years to plan and rebuild her life (she could easily have done volunteer/internship work or extra studies during this period to show she is capable to potential employers whilst not worrying about finance).

On the other hand, a woman that is married for 25 years, who had a career before giving it up 20 years ago to be a housewife cannot easily get back into her career line and achieve close to her potential, by the way that is even if she can still get employment at 45 years plus. I think in this situation, there is strong grounds for alimony for life but with a minimum and cap on what the value of the alimony should be. This value should based on her realistic potential earning abilities (based on her prior career line), not some blanket 50% or needs/used to basis. Tiger Woods wife is not entitled to even a twentieth of his wealth as she can not realistically make such herself.

People are not entitled to a lifestyle they are used to, they are entitled to a lifestyle they can afford themselves. This should be the premise of legislation.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by sley4life(m): 5:44pm On May 02, 2010
i disagree
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 5:34am On May 03, 2010
sley4life:

i disagree

why if i may ask
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by oyinda3(f): 9:03am On May 03, 2010
spoilt:

People only hear about the athlete that lost everything to a bimbo. Or the skank that got half of everything after a short marriage. My take on that? Serves them right! Light is never shed on the poor everyday women who after years of marriage get nothing!!!!! Yet they have the kids and all the work that comes with being a single mother. Those miserly child support checks do absolutely nothing. That check is so insignificant compared to the person who is doing the actual raising of the kids.

Men should learn to cry sometimes. Maybe it will make them less suicidal. Women will cry and roll on the floor to get stuff out of their system and then get down to the business of raising the kids at the expense of a social life or dating. Every dollar is stretched for days. Men just keep sh it bottled up inside and later take a gun and head for their kids school to wait for the ex in the morning when she's dropping off the kids. They want to annihilate the whole family themselves included. shocked (How many times have we heard this same scenario?)

Let them get a grip abeg.

Although a bit harsh, this is the best post so far!!!!

people are assuming that he reason the men are committing suicide is because of lack of prenup. can you come up with any other reasons because i DO NOT buy into that. I've worked with enough of these foolish men to know that they DON'T pay their child support and the women indeed are usually left on their own.
even the children who grow up in single family households usually acknowledge that there was no supportive father.
the celebrity news you see on tv isn't what happens in real life guys. how many average folks make enough money to sign prenup. even those celebrities God knows if they pay the checks to their ex-wives. most are probably years behind on their payments. lol
so you guys better erase those basketball player examples from ur posts because that's FAR from your realities.

and besides, you have to pay child support even if you are not married!!! so marriage is not the issue here.
mothers generally worked harder at raising kids up in terms of finance and other means in marriages anyways esp. in US where women work. so it's a shock to some of these "dads" to find out that they actually have to contribute to the upbringing of their own kids shocked shocked wow
for a guy that regularly pays school fees for his kids, helps in providing for their necessities etc, the fees should not be a huge surprise as to induce suicide lol. unless he wasn't contributing at all during the marriage. then he will feel the impact when all of a sudden he has take care of his own kids grin.
i mean if the fees can force u to kill urself, makes you wonder why all the mothers in this world aren't dead grin child raising is not easy

so na2day, pls come up with real reasons why u guys r hanging urselves.

I agree with you though that men who are not ready should NOT marry. a lot of women might not appreciate their unmarried status but better to be single than to be with an asshole. reason why divorce is high in the first place.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Sagamite(m): 9:12am On May 03, 2010
^^^True.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Denisse: 9:19am On May 03, 2010
Men are hard to cope up on their problems than women.

Denisse
http://www.acdoctors.com.au
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Outstrip(f): 2:14am On May 04, 2010
Here we go again with the whining men. Stop crying like babies. Men abandon women all the time and women move on. Madonna paid over 80million dollars to Guy Ritchie, Kirstie Allen paid 6million to her ex, Ann Heche, Janet Jackson, Brittany etc. They all paid because they made more. The sad part id most of the people crying do not even have anything to give in the event of a divorce LMAO. You guys should get the facts right. No court in the US will send a man away with nothing if his wife made most of the money. With a good lawyer the man is still entitled to up to half of what they made in the marriage in most cases. A lot of times a settlement is reached just like it is when the men are the ones paying. Puss.y men. It is very unmanly.

Imagine all the women that are abandoned in Africa along with their children. Husband that insists that she does not work away from home abandons her, her family turns their back on her, her church turns their backs on her, "friends" laugh at her but she still raises her children knowing fully well that african culture is okay with her suffering like that. Then come "men" whining about a woman taking money that they do not even have ROTFLMAO. You guys really need to stop.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 6:05am On May 04, 2010
oyinda.:

Although a bit harsh, this is the best post so far!!!!

people are assuming that he reason the men are committing suicide is because of lack of prenup. can you come up with any other reasons because i DO NOT buy into that. I've worked with enough of these foolish men to know that they DON'T pay their child support and the women indeed are usually left on their own.
even the children who grow up in single family households usually acknowledge that there was no supportive father.
the celebrity news you see on tv isn't what happens in real life guys. how many average folks make enough money to sign prenup. even those celebrities God knows if they pay the checks to their ex-wives. most are probably years behind on their payments. lol
so you guys better erase those basketball player examples from your posts because that's FAR from your realities.

and besides, you have to pay child support even if you are not married!!! so marriage is not the issue here.
mothers generally worked harder at raising kids up in terms of finance and other means in marriages anyways esp. in US where women work. so it's a shock to some of these "dads" to find out that they actually have to contribute to the upbringing of their own kids shocked shocked wow
for a guy that regularly pays school fees for his kids, helps in providing for their necessities etc, the fees should not be a huge surprise as to induce suicide lol. unless he wasn't contributing at all during the marriage. then he will feel the impact when all of a sudden he has take care of his own kids grin.
i mean if the fees can force u to kill urself, makes you wonder why all the mothers in this world aren't dead grin child raising is not easy

so na2day, pls come up with real reasons why u guys r hanging urselves.

I agree with you though that men who are not ready should NOT marry. a lot of women might not appreciate their unmarried status but better to be single than to be with an asshole. reason why divorce is high in the first place.

oh plz, u will never catch me on that suicide block, reason, i learn from others mistake. i have said it over and over again, even if i dont have a dime to my name, we are signing a prenup! woman, keep ur own money and i will keep mine, if she wants to walk, so be it but i will prepare for that day even b4 the wedding, no joke! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Unspoken Truth: Why Women Hate Each Other So Damn Much / I Just Saw This In My Baby Sister Bag / Graphic + Wedding Photos: Man Cuts Off Wife's Ears During Domestic Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.