Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs (23915 Views)

CBN Monitors 6,047 Bvns Over Suspected Fraudulent Transactions / Allen Onyema: U.S. Seizes $14 Million In Bank Accounts Linked To Air Peace Boss / Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Phi001(m): 8:42am On Oct 22, 2017
Can't you guys read?

The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court has granted a request by Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, for a temporary forfeiture of all funds held in bank accounts not linked to BVNs — and whose ownership could not be absolutely identified

That's the major criterion. They are not just going about seizing funds in accounts without BVN. If they can't identify the owner of the account and the account is not linked to any BVN, the funds in the account will be seized temporarily. Simple!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Phi001(m): 8:44am On Oct 22, 2017
MichaelSokoto:

I taya oo!

my dad died since 2003 and has money in Standard trust bank (UBA) and 1st bank but we have not gone to recover it, now sis admin wants to take everything undecided
Your father died 14 years ago and you've not gone to retrieve the money. Wehdone!

4 Likes

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Atlanticfire: 8:49am On Oct 22, 2017
Amaaf:

You don't remember the account number again? Even if you are given chance to claim your money, how do you convince Zenith Bank that the money is yours?

With ones passport as an ID he can prove that he is the owner of the account.

So remembering the account number is not the only criteria of proving ownership of an account

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by somehow: 8:51am On Oct 22, 2017
How do you lose your BVN?
krendo:
What about those that have lost their BVNs?

This ruling is divorced from reality, there are a whole lot of old fashioned bank users not in tune with modern technology and needing to catch up

I don't see the benefit of this policy other than another example of a government that lacks human face.

This is all Buhari knows how to do, seize seize and seize. He does not create or improve anything!

Does Buhari know what a BVN is? Does Buhari know how to use ATM? Does Buhari use internet banking? For Buhari he has a lot of aides to do these things. Most older Nigerians don't and may not have a helper.

This people really need to get real

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Ola17: 8:53am On Oct 22, 2017
The government must come up with another way to shore up funds for governance instead of trying to further steal from the already shortchanged citizens.

My God! How greedy can these people be?
Is it that our collective natural resources and taxes they are frittering away with reckless abandon isn't enough?

I've been out of the country for about four years for studies and they can't seem to keep their thieving and itchy fingers off of the little savings I have back home. God is watching you people. Nonsense!

2 Likes

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by gabe: 8:53am On Oct 22, 2017
I'm seeing very vacuous arguments against the move. Anyone in Nigeria without a BVN linked to his/her account at this time after about 2-3 years of announcements, adverts and deadlines is DEFINITELY hiding something. Even old people in the village came out to queue when I did my BVN. We have heard stories of how banks help corrupt govt officials launder funds. No way they are linking accounts like that to BVN. One investigation in benue state revealed the ex governor Suswam parked about N18 billion in a first bank account. Till tomorrow, nothing has been done about that money. Kudos to the FG. This move is long overdue.

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by somehow: 8:53am On Oct 22, 2017
Then take the bank to court na! Get a lawyer and have him write the bank to release your bvn, it has nothing to do with the government madam!
leofab:
All my NYSC allowee is in my zenith bank and thy refuse to give me Bvn claiming that I have done it someone else.. this is fustrating and won't go well with this fraudulent government if they confiscated my hard hearned allowance..

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by otil1: 8:53am On Oct 22, 2017
Clerverly:
Ipob Terrorists, Oya Come and Wail!

Ipob shocked

Ok, are you ok
Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by FunkyAlhaji2015: 8:55am On Oct 22, 2017
Atlanticfire:
I have been outside Nigeria for over 5 yrs. I had some money in zenith bank before I left.

The account has not been linked to any bvn because I don't even remember the account number.

I have never held any public office.

So going by the reasoning of the government and the reasoning of some people here, the money in my account must be stolen money that should be forfeited to the government just because the account does not have bvn.

This is a case of guilty until proven innocent.
Why does a government think that robbing it's citizens is a good policy

Government has got policies to implement. You have had 3years to come forward and claim your money, if the money or account was important you would have come forward. Criminals have being using pseudo accounts to perpetrate evil, the government now wants to identify every account holder by biometric. I see nothing wrong with that

6 Likes

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by gabe: 8:55am On Oct 22, 2017
somehow:
How do you lose your BVN?
my brother ask me o. These excuses are just making me examining my eyes if i'm reading right.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by free2ryhme: 8:56am On Oct 22, 2017
tbanj07:
Why should i let close family be aware of how many accounts I've got or where I bank at...is it their business or mine

what happens to the account when you become vegetable or dead

2 Likes

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by somehow: 8:57am On Oct 22, 2017
Is it the fault of the govt that you failed to make moves to have your acct registered? Oh the govt should freeze their policy because of you? You are not the only one abroad, others found means to have their bvn, find out how they did theirs.

Atlanticfire:
I have been outside Nigeria for over 5 yrs. I had some money in zenith bank before I left.

The account has not been linked to any bvn because I don't even remember the account number.

I have never held any public office.

So going by the reasoning of the government and the reasoning of some people here, the money in my account must be stolen money that should be forfeited to the government just because the account does not have bvn.

This is a case of guilty until proven innocent.
Why does a government think that robbing it's citizens is a good policy

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by veron007: 8:59am On Oct 22, 2017
Bolustical:
If not the fact that such monies were gotten through illegal means, why would anyone to leave his money unidentified and unclaimed since BVN commenced way back in 2014?

This is a right step in the right direction.

Bros, I live outside Nigeria and I can't afford to come down just for BVN due to studies and work. All my life saving is in that account!! I am saving that money to for use in establishing myself once am done with education.

You can't make a law like this and just take over people's life savings.

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by somehow: 9:00am On Oct 22, 2017
Should we now blame the govt for this when you know how to get the money no matter how stringent?
abuibraheem:
U Are Wrong, Since 2015,My Late Father Money In His First Bank Account Is Not Stolen Money,and Same Will Apply To Thousands Of Nigerians Who Died Before Going For The BVN Reg. The Only Reason Am Indiffrent His The Money And Time It Will Take Me To Get The Money In The account Is Stringet 4 Just 23 Thousand Naira

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Decryptor(m): 9:01am On Oct 22, 2017
Clerverly:
Ipob Terrorists, Oya Come and Wail!

I scanned the whole of that write-up and did not find where IPOB was mentioned. It is either you trying to forment trouble or your stupidity is just legendry.
Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by gabe: 9:01am On Oct 22, 2017
kettykin:
wow so what happens to families of those who died with their money in bank yet to be claimed by their respective families , any way hank God this is happening before this present generation tht seems to have forgotten about the past 20 pounds policy. Nigeria will alway be Nigeria , how come foreign banks dont implement this kind of policies
If someone with money in the bank dies, his next of kin can get letters of administration from a court in less than a week to claim money in such accounts. Simple

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by somehow: 9:01am On Oct 22, 2017
Then don't complain if no one comes forward to claim the money when you die na. Govt will claim all unclaimed monies instead of leaving it to the banks to enjoy alone.
tbanj07:
Why should i let close family be aware of how many accounts I've got or where I bank at...is it their business or mine

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by somehow: 9:03am On Oct 22, 2017
You have 14 more says to claim your money. You had 3 years before now. Don't blame the govt sir. Measures were put in place for those outside naija to get their bvn, ignorance is no excuse sir.
euromilion:

They're not all stolen money my friend,Nigerians in diaspora many have accountants but for some reasons they couldn't make it untime for the bvn,I for example my account is not linked yet and I still money on my euro and naira account.

The gov are trying to still people's money fact.

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by gabe: 9:04am On Oct 22, 2017
leofab:
All my NYSC allowee is in my zenith bank and thy refuse to give me Bvn claiming that I have done it someone else.. this is fustrating and won't go well with this fraudulent government if they confiscated my hard hearned allowance..
Na wa o. You are serving and you don't know you link all your accounts to ONE BVN? Nobody has 2 BVNs. Just give them your BVN and ask them to link it to your account.

2 Likes

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by somehow: 9:05am On Oct 22, 2017
Whose fault that you didn't go for 3 years to claim it? Bvn was created to monitor funds within and outside the system, so any funds not captured within this policy is said to be illegal. Make it legal by doing the needful.

We too dey complain when we are at fault, always claiming right!
MichaelSokoto:

I taya oo!

my dad died since 2003 and has money in Standard trust bank (UBA) and 1st bank but we have not gone to recover it, now sis admin wants to take everything undecided
Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Freeman59: 9:07am On Oct 22, 2017
seunmsg:

Government is talking about accounts not linked to BVN at all. If you have lost your BVN number, simply go back to your bank and get it.

I really don't see why some so called analyst are against this move. If government don't take custody of the funds, the banks will use it as they like forever. The funds in the unlinked accounts have been there since 2015 without anybody claiming it. Government should take custody of the funds and use it judiciously for the good of the entire country.

Hahahahahahahaha!!! Use it for what? Ask yourself again
Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by muzari: 9:07am On Oct 22, 2017
DO NOT BE MISINFORMED:

1. There is nothing like permanent forfeiture of depositors funds.
Did you hear about 25m illegal withdrawn by a banker in Kano of late Ado Bayero? Family got to know after sending court order to all the bank when about to share his wealth because it was a polygamy home.
Imagine a monogamy home who centered their requests to the banks they felt the late person uses without reckon to other banks.

2. The funds shall be reclaimed from CBN after due diligence from the depositor/beneficiary.
So, welcome this development and make sure you grab the dailies when the names are out to check for the name of your late Father, Mother, Uncle and so on no matter the year of death. You could be lucky to become the next million/billionaire.

3. Report has it that Union and Firstbank only warehouse over 200billions monies of deceased customers unclaimed. Are you aware of this?

4. Recall also that this case was not initiated by FG, it was group of financial analysts that sue FG to take the action.

5. Do not panic if your BVN is not linked yet, you can link it anytime you are around and reclaim your fund no matter the time without going to court. Only the family of deceased person will go to court to get letter of administration to claim monies belonging to the dead relatives or those with mismatch names which is what is even obtainable now.

THIS IS WIN WIN SITUATION FOR THE MASES AND HARVEST PERIOD FOR LAWYER BECAUSE MUST FAMILY WILL BECOME MILLIONAIRE OVERNIGHT

TRUST THAT WITH THE CLARIFICATION, SOME ADAMANT IGNORANTS WILL STILL SAY "NO BE SO"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by drealmydas: 9:07am On Oct 22, 2017
Bolustical:
If not the fact that such monies were gotten through illegal means, why would anyone to leave his money unidentified and unclaimed since BVN commenced way back in 2014?

This is a right step in the right direction.

The move is not sensible, I know a couple of people that have been sending money into their account before BVN came into play from outside the country, hoping to do their BVN whenever they are in the country. Now government will start claiming these is part of their recovered loot by sharing hard earn money of its citizens that are probably stuck in different parts of the world or deceased customers funds yet to be claimed or abandoned or forgetten small amount like 100 naira to 10k in various accounts ( are those looted funds too).

The government should focus on the real looted funds, cleanup NNPC and stop causing confusion for the fragile economy

1 Like

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by chigoizie7(m): 9:09am On Oct 22, 2017
So many Nigerians who are living outside the shores of this country but could not come home because one so many reasons , many of them have money in their bank accounts . Some of them are not even aware. Some opened accounts and travelled , but kept sending money into those accounts and kept getting credits alerts.

What will happen to such category of people?
Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by WizzPoll: 9:14am On Oct 22, 2017
all these drastic steps Buhari takes in the name of fighting corruption usually does not work

in the 80s he changed the colour of naira notes within a very short time just to fight corruption, yet corruption did not die in the 1980s. ordinary citizens are the one who suffered

we need the economic policies of any government to be predictable, all these blanket orders and arbitrariness does not help
Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Amaaf(m): 9:15am On Oct 22, 2017
Flaghouse1:

My question to you if an elderly person living in the UK has not been home for 3 years. Should the person run home and do BVN ?

Please,I,need answer to this so I can ask you the next one

Kindly read this piece, over two years ago:

http://www.onlinedailys.com/bvn-registration-centres-abroad/
Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Amaaf(m): 9:17am On Oct 22, 2017
Atlanticfire:

With ones passport as an ID he can prove that he is the owner of the account.

So remembering the account number is not the only criteria of proving ownership of an account

And he is not aware of the link below, for more than two years:
Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Flaghouse1: 9:22am On Oct 22, 2017
Amaaf:

Kindly read this piece, over two years ago:

You answered the question, but then I believe registering then there were snags experienced by people in diaspora, extortion and the rest,

Please can one still do the registration now in the uk

Thanks
Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Amaaf(m): 9:26am On Oct 22, 2017
veron007:

Bros, I live outside Nigeria and I can't afford to come down just for BVN due to studies and work. All my life saving is in that account!! I am saving that money to for use in establishing myself once am done with education.

You can't make a law like this and just take over people's life savings.

People in diaspora were given opportunity/options to get themselves registered, after two to three years of grace, you are still here blaming the government. Can you try the same with the government of country where you reside?
Kindly read this:

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Flaghouse1: 9:28am On Oct 22, 2017
muzari:
DO NOT BE MISINFORMED:

1. There is nothing like permanent forfeiture of depositors funds.
Did you hear about 25m illegal withdrawn by a banker in Kano of late Ado Bayero? Family got to know after sending court order to all the bank when about to share his wealth because it was a polygamy home.
Imagine a monogamy home who centered their requests to the banks they felt the late person uses without reckon to other banks.

2. The funds shall be reclaimed from CBN after due diligence from the depositor/beneficiary.
So, welcome this development and make sure you grab the dailies when the names are out to check for the name of your late Father, Mother, Uncle and so on no matter the year of death. You could be lucky to become the next million/billionaire.

3. Report has it that Union and Firstbank only warehouse over 200billions monies of deceased customers unclaimed. Are you aware of this?

4. Recall also that this case was not initiated by FG, it was group of financial analysts that sue FG to take the action.

5. Do not panic if your BVN is not linked yet, you can link it anytime you are around and reclaim your fund no matter the time without going to court. Only the family of deceased person will go to court to get letter of administration to claim monies belonging to the dead relatives or those with mismatch names which is what is even obtainable now.

THIS IS WIN WIN SITUATION FOR THE MASES AND HARVEST PERIOD FOR LAWYER BECAUSE MUST FAMILY WILL BECOME MILLIONAIRE OVERNIGHT

TRUST THAT WITH THE CLARIFICATION, SOME ADAMANT IGNORANTS WILL STILL SAY "NO BE SO"

Well elicited explanation,I believe we as Nigerians did not bother to read all through the write up, rather controlled by sentiments and emotions decide to be adamant and not welcome such gestures to safeguard our supposed inherited funds et al!

2 Likes

Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Jerrypolo(m): 9:29am On Oct 22, 2017
leofab:

There are ways to collect your monies without BVN from any bank in Nigeria.

Lemme know if you want your money.
Re: FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs by Flaghouse1: 9:33am On Oct 22, 2017
Jerrypolo:

There are ways to collect your monies without BVN from any bank in Nigeria.

Lemme know if you want your money.

Oga how ? yahoo yahoo!! grin angry grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oscar Ekponimo Develops An App 'Chowberry', Brings Wasted Food To The Hungry / Naira Depreciates Further As Dealers Await New FX Regime / If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.