Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church - Religion (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church (62642 Views)

Nigerian Pentecostals Believe That A Pastor Must Have A Spiritual Father / " Go To A Bible-Believing Church" ...What Does It Mean?? / Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by ireneidiva(f): 7:04am On Oct 23, 2017
SalC:

Am sure he/ she isn't kidding, I too would like to know the prayers that Pope Francis changed.
Nah. i can't have this discussion abeg.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Didov1(f): 7:06am On Oct 23, 2017
tuk2ato:
a good debate you said?..talkin abt sunni nd shia,trust me when its time for prayer they pray in same mosque,under same roof and a sunni or shia leadin the prayer,bt here in christianity the hatred has gotten so deep that deeperlife cnt marry a catholic,a church telling a catholic how they will burn in hell,so tell me is that what jesus prayed for when he said in john17:21i pray that they may all be one father jst as you r in me and i in you.may they be one,so that the world will bliv that you sent me.with this whole thing r we making the world bliv that jesus is lord?bt our socalled pastor re the one fueling d hatred.what did paul said to christian arguing on who is the real follower of christ some said apolo,peter,paul.bt he ask them nt to argue that they r one in the body of christ.m nt asking them nt to debate,bt when the d socalled debate turns to hatred sorry i av to speakup.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by SalC: 7:09am On Oct 23, 2017
Proffdada:
did mary come before Jesus?

Well it depends on what you mean, if you are asking if Mary existed before Jesus on earth, the answer is yes. But if you are referring to Jesus' spiritual existence as God, I would say no. But the thing here is, from the day this God took flesh and dwelt among men, he chose a mother and that mother is Mary. So except you will argue that Jesus wasn't God when he was in Mary's womb, which by implication means that at some point Jesus lost his divinity, then you can't argue against Mary being the Mother of God.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Neminc: 7:09am On Oct 23, 2017
Ubenedictus:
what more ironic than the fact that you use a new testament canon set by those you consider pagans

All I see is you guys beating about the bush. I don't consider Catholics pagans. Pentecostals don't disagree with everything about the Catholic church. We specifically mentioned the doctrines we disagree with and you guys should answer the question and stop beating about the bush. Where did the Bible tell us we should supplicate to Mary? And where did the Bible tell you she was assumed into heaven and given a throne beside his son and that we are to go to her if we want to get to her son?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by SalC: 7:10am On Oct 23, 2017
ireneidiva:

Nah. i can't have this discussion abeg.

Is it that you can't have it or you don't know. Anyway no problems.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by analice107: 7:10am On Oct 23, 2017
dingbang:
I decided to hit the nail right through its head and call out all pentecostals (Followers of Martin Luther) in Nairaland to tell the whole world why they think the Catholic Church is not a Bible Believing Church.

On what basis will a Church be termed "Non bible Believing"?

Let's have your Opinions ..

First, Catholicism is a distinct religion just like islam. It's out look appears like it's a Christian church, but, it's not, as 80% of her doctrines are opposed to the Scriptures of the Christian faith.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by SalC: 7:13am On Oct 23, 2017
freshboi88:

Tank u my brother.....

Sister rather smiley
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by analice107: 7:14am On Oct 23, 2017
HungerBAD:
The Catholic right?

I am a Christian, and attend a Pentecostal Church. Churches, just like Christianity, is open to individual definition on how they see it and it has no one clear definition. so your question on why people consider the Catholic something else, will get you a lot of different answers, even if majority will be shrouded in ambiguity.

The Catholic Church did not start getting heat today from people. It started from the time the Church deviated from the Bible, and became a POLITICAL PARTY in the 14th and 15th Century.

The Catholic Church became too powerful.

There was a time in Europe, the Catholic Church had their hands in the choosing of Monarchs, and was heavily into financial racketeering. And it is on record that most Pope from that Era were Closet/Open Gays, who liked little boys, and that problem still persists with the amount the Catholic Church around the World keep paying money yearly to little boys molested by Catholic Priests.

And that is why Martin Luther lead the revolt, that nearly saw the collapse of the Catholic. God bless him.

As an individual, my problem with the Catholic has to do with the way they worship, as it is almost idolatry. Why can't i as a Christian pray to God directly?why do i need one statue, picture or something to intercede for me?why do i need to be calling the name of this Saint or that Saint to intercede on my behalf?

Why do i need to confess my sins in a Booth to another man(Reverend Father) when i can talk to God directly?is the Reverend Father now a gate keeper to God or Heaven?

But all these pale in comparison to one SIN i will never forgive the Catholic for. And that SIN is to make ABLE MEN with WORKING PRIVATE PARTS not be able to MAKE LOVE, or have babies just because they want to be Catholic Priests. Who made that DAMN LAW? God put a D--K on a man's body for a reason, but the Catholic, who in some way are claiming GOD are forcing MEN not to use it, because they want to serve God.

God, when he created MAN in the Garden of EDEN noticed after some days he had KONJI. And so he created EVE to be his helper,both in that Department(KONJI) and other Departments. So why is the Catholic Church reversing God's law?

Wow, you sir, are an interesting guy. Very pleasant and ...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by HermajestyQ(f): 7:30am On Oct 23, 2017
Believe it or not so many Catholics are in heaven and others will make it to heaven; also, so many Protestants are in heaven and others will make it to heaven. But the critics may not make it to heaven if they don't stop judging. While men judges based on racial colours, tribes, languages, religions/religious denominations etc, God looks at the hearts and deeds of each man. If you feel been a Catholic will help you be a better Christian and make heaven; go on and be a Catholic but if you feel like Pentecostal/protestant churches will help you be a better christian and make heaven, by all means go on been one. At the end of our lives, the ultimate goal of all Christians is to make heaven. Be wise, don't let hatred, disgust, holier than thou attitudes prevent you from making heaven. A word is enough for the wise. Shalom!
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by analice107: 7:30am On Oct 23, 2017
thorpido:
Purgatory.No scripture backs that up.
And paying money to the Pope for our dead loved ones in purgatory to be allowed into heaven. Also, paying money for our sins to be forgiven.

There's alot of things people pay money for in Catholic church, but they cover those up and project tithes paid my pentecostal churches as tho it's a sin.

At least we see Tithing in the Bible, where can we fine Absolution in the Bible?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by analice107: 7:31am On Oct 23, 2017
dingbang:
by Pentecostals I mean the modern day people who attend Faith based churches..
Wow, guy, you just indicated that the Catholic church is not working by Faith which the Bible says, no man can pls God without.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by zaragoza(m): 7:34am On Oct 23, 2017
joshnes:
I agree with you, but that is the OLD covenant, I don't deal with that when the new is available. Under the NEW TESTAMENT symbols are no longer needed (Jer 31:31-34, Heb 8:5-13). All we need NOW is the name of Jesus (John 15:16). You should try it.

are u now implying that God changes? cos it's the same God who instructed them to make the images
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by analice107: 7:38am On Oct 23, 2017
internationalman:

is worshipping the mother of Jesus not far acceptable than worshipping d mother of pastor's children and d pastor himself?

Hypocrites everywhere... You will hear them saying daddy daddy.. mummy mummy.. Some would even go as far as cooking and washing for pastors when they don't do the same for their families at home.
I grew up a Catholic, Family is deeply Catholic till today. What they pentecostals do for their pastors can never come close to what Catholics do for their Reverend fathers.

Listen, a whole lot of charlatans have moved into the Church right now (as prophesied), but any pastor who fears God never takes God's glory and honour from men as the Priests do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by analice107: 7:42am On Oct 23, 2017
[quote author=Dnaz post=61655179][/quote]
Are you sure of this your claim? Shd i give you a scripture which enjoined no one to add or subtract from the Bible in Christianity?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Dnaz(m): 7:53am On Oct 23, 2017
analice107:

Are you sure of this your claim? Shd i give you a scripture which enjoined no one to add or subtract from the Bible in Christianity?

Hahaha revelation 22: 19 written by Apostle John about the bible? John wrote a book called revelations, prophecy abt a book called revelation. Unless u give me proof that john actually knew the canon of the Christian bible , u have nothing to say.
Did u know that martin Luther wanted to remove the book of revelations?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Simonchester: 7:57am On Oct 23, 2017
Proffdada:
why did Christ die on the Cross?
so that we can be saved.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Proffdada: 8:02am On Oct 23, 2017
PastorAIO:

So giving birth to a child is a sin in your reckoning. Or you're just trying to Duck from the obvious implication of what you've said without thinking.

What sin did Mary commit? Simple kweshion.
sins of adam
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by daddyiel(m): 8:06am On Oct 23, 2017
2 Chronicles 20:20

“And they rose early in the morning, and went forth into the wilderness of Tekoa: and as they went forth, Jehoshaphat stood and said, Hear me, O Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem; Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper
Dnaz:

Pentecostals are not bible believing, they are pastor believing churches
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by kolaish(m): 8:06am On Oct 23, 2017
asuustrike2009:

These are reasons why I think Catholic are idolaters
an Idolater is a devoted admirer of idols but what does the Bible say about images and idols?

1. Exodus 20:4-5
“Thou shalt not MAKE unto thee ANY graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not BOW DOWN thyself to them Nor SERVE them.”

Do Catholics MAKE graven images? Yes.
Do Catholics KNEEL down to statues of Mary or Jesus? Yes.
Do Catholics SERVE Mary? Yes, as in “Legion of Mary.”
Do Catholics BOW DOWN and kiss the foot of the pagan god Jupiter which was renamed St Peter? Yes.

2. Leviticus 26:1
“You shall make you NO IDOLS nor GRAVEN IMAGE. Neither rear you up a STANDING IMAGE. Neither shall ye set up any IMAGE OF STONE in your land to bow down unto it.”

Do Catholics rear up STANDING IMAGES? Yes.
Do Catholics set up any IMAGE OF STONE? Yes.

3. Deuteronomy 4:16
“Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and MAKE you a GRAVEN IMAGE, the similitude of ANY FIGURE, the likeness of MALE or FEMALE.”

Do Catholics make graven images of MALE or FEMALE? Yes. Mary is a female. Jesus and the apostles are males.

4. Deuteronomy 16:22
“Neither shalt thou SET thee UP ANY IMAGE: which the Lord thy God HATES.”

Do Catholics SET UP ANY IMAGES? Yes.
Does God HATE IMAGES? Yes.

5. 1 Thessalonians 1:9
“How ye turned to God FROM IDOLS to serve the living and true God.”

Did the early Christians turn FROM IDOLS? Yes.

6. Deuteronomy 27:15
“CURSED be the man that MAKES ANY GRAVEN or MOLTEN IMAGE, an abomination unto the Lord, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth it in a secret place.”

Does God put a curse on any person that makes any image? Yes.
Why does God call an image an ABOMINATION? Because He hates it.

7. The early Christians had NO IMAGES
Early Christian writers such as Irenaeus, Clement, Cyprian, Athanasius and Jerome wrote strongly AGAINST images, statues and any manner of prayer or veneration regarding them. The Council of Constantinople in 381 A.D. voted unanimously to remove all images from the Churches.

8. The Catholic Church removes the second Commandment against MAKING graven images from the list of the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20:1-17. This presents them with the problem of only having 9 Commandments. They resolve this problem by splitting Commandment number 10 into 9 and 10. That is: 9. You shall not covet your neighbour's wife. 10. You shall not covet your neighbour's goods. The following is seen in the book “A brief summary of the Ten Commandments” by the Daughters of St. Paul, p.12, 13:

WHAT ARE THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD?
The Commandments of God are these ten:
“I am the Lord your God:
1. You shall not have strange Gods before me.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's day.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
9. You shall not covet your neighbour's wife.
10. You shall not covet your neighbour's goods.” Exodus 20:1-17

The number Two Commandment should be “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.” Exodus 20:4. Check your Catechism to see if they have left it out.
9. Every Catholic institution has images of Mary, Jesus and male and female figures. An example of this are two statues at the French Papal Palace of Avignon, one of Jesus about 20 metres above ground level, and the other is an enormous statue of Mary, much larger, grander and higher up than that of Jesus. This gives the greater honour to Mary than Jesus. It also breaks the second Commandment forbidding making images of things in heaven.

Who do we believe, the Word of God or the Catholic Church? “We ought to obey God, rather than men.” Acts 5:29
Very good contribution. HOWEVER, I AM A LITTLE BIT DISMAYED ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF OTHERS WHO SEE THIS THREAD AS A PLATFORM TO DEFEND THEIR CHURCH/DOCTRINE, RATHER THAN SEE IT AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO KNOW WETHER THEY ARE SERVING GOD THE RIGHT WAY.

SALVATION OF ONE'S SOUL IS AN INDIVIDUAL THING. ATTAINING HEAVEN IS NEVER BY CHURCH MEMBERSHIP/DOCTRINE. BE YOU A CATHOLIC, RCCG, MFM, FOURSQUARE ETC: IF THE CHURCH YOU ARE ATTENDING DOES NOT CONFORM TO THE RULES OF THE BIBLE, PLEASE RUN AWAY FROM THE CHURCH TO A BIBLE BELIEVING CHURCH.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Proffdada: 8:06am On Oct 23, 2017
Xda59:

You protestants think it is not right for catholics to hail Mary the mother of Jesus but it is okay for you to hail your G.Os' and their wives. Smh
anyone who hails any other person except God thru Jesus is committing idolatry. We serve one God not mary,saints and angels
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by zaragoza(m): 8:06am On Oct 23, 2017
amunkita:

If addressing someone is prayer, why don't u guyz pray using the 12 disciples afterall go to the books of Philipians, Timothy, Ephesians nd see how these men were addressed by other great men of God.
I belive in the trinity but if Mary is the mother of God then the passage that sayz come to the father through the son is contradicting right Afterall they re one....

Wait oooo, did u say Mary was born without sin?
My brother, u see u guyz know very little of the bible, open to Psalm 51 vs 5, ephesian 2 vs 3, we re born sinners expect u can prove the above passage false.

This is no quest brother, take away sentiment nd seek knowledge nd you would be free..
Can also see u ve avoided other questions I raised...

was Jesus Christ also born a sinner?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 23, 2017
kolaish:
Very good contribution. HOWEVER, I AM A LITTLE BIT DISMAYED ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF OTHERS WHO SEE THIS THREAD AS A PLATFORM TO DEFEND THEIR CHURCH/DOCTRINE, RATHER THAN SEE IT AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO KNOW WETHER THEY ARE SERVING GOD THE RIGHT WAY.

SALVATION OF ONE'S SOUL IS AN INDIVIDUAL THING. ATTAINING HEAVEN IS NEVER BY CHURCH MEMBERSHIP/DOCTRINE. BE YOU A CATHOLIC, RCCG, MFM, FOURSQUARE ETC: IF THE CHURCH YOU ARE ATTENDING DOES NOT CONFORM TO THE RULES OF THE BIBLE, PLEASE RUN AWAY FROM THE CHURCH TO A BIBLE BELIEVING CHURCH.

Exactly my brother. There's no church denomination in heaven. The Bible is our standard

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Proffdada: 8:10am On Oct 23, 2017
dingbang:
the angel did.. He Gave her the message from God almighty direct. Hail Mary, You are highly favored.
do you follow the teachings of angel gabriel or christ?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Tellemall: 8:15am On Oct 23, 2017
Neminc:

All this your beating about the bush is not the crux of the matter. Where did the Bible tell us we should supplicate to Mary? And where did the Bible tell you she was assumed into heaven and given a throne beside his son and that we are to go to her if we want to get to her son?

You will find enlightening Catholics very difficult.

They will get aggressive and, like the account of the Ephesians in the Bible, rather than reason past their indoctrination will prefer to shout "Great is Diana of Ephesus! Great is Diana of Ephesus! Alla Akbar!"

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Tellemall: 8:20am On Oct 23, 2017
chisupport:
I want to ask a question.
Most pentecostal churches are less than 200 years.
Yet the bible they claim to know too much about, is well over 1000 years and has been in use in the catholic church ever since.

My question is, who handed the bible to the penticostal churches?

Catholics say they had it longest, why then have they not read and understood everything about it? Catholics simply used their religion for politics. That's why we still hear of Eastern mysticism such as purgatory and the adoration of Mary and kissing of saints feet from them.

Where is their biblical back up, on the issue of undue worship of Mary, except one grossly misunderstood verse about Mary being called blessed among all nations? If so why do only Catholics do it? Are they the "all nations"?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Proffdada: 8:21am On Oct 23, 2017
Nosikebit:
If only these people know what catholic hv done for christianity they would be respecting catholic .. the sacrifices the catholic church hv made for the survival of christianity no other domination can match it in a million years. Perhaps if not for catholic nearly the whole world would hv been muslims. Go back to ur history books and read how the catholics marched thousands of miles to the holy land jerusalem to ensure it wasnt fully islamized by saladin of the ottoman empire. If only you people know the sacrifices the catholics hv made for christianity, you wouldnt be talking trash. Even the chosen people, israel dont believe in jesus christ. How did you think the gospel survived and reach the whole world. Do you think it was by buying private jets and living lavish? Answering papa and mama g.o. i am a protestant by birth but i am very proud of the catholics and the role they played in strengthening the hold of christianity throughout the world. If not for catholics am pretty sure some of ur g.os would hv been muslims today.
i guess you don't know the history of catholics. The catholics robbed the world of the gospel for many centuries forbidding the bible and killing those who possess copies. They also kill anyone who doesn't agree with their twisted and manipulative doctrines (heresy) which the muslims are emulating now.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by thorpido(m): 8:23am On Oct 23, 2017
kinesis:
Pls read Colossians 2: 9. That sums up who Jesus really is
For in him dwelleth the fullness of the godhead bodily.
The problem is not about who Jesus is here.It's about Jesus(the Spirit of God in heavenly glory) having a mother.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Proffdada: 8:24am On Oct 23, 2017
SalC:

You are even trying to pamper him with your answers.

Jesus didn't even ask John to refer to her as mother. Jesus himself called her mother in that very verse.
please support your claim with scriptural evidence not what you think
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by ashawopikin(m): 8:24am On Oct 23, 2017
Ubenedictus:
where did you get that from?
how did john baptise jesus?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by ashawopikin(m): 8:25am On Oct 23, 2017
freshboi88:

Where did the bible say baptism is total immersion in water??
check bible
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by PastorAIO: 8:25am On Oct 23, 2017
Proffdada:
sins of adam

So when you give birth to a child the sin of Adam is multiplied. What about the other sin offerings before?

What about Jesus? Did he have sins of Adam on his head?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Tellemall: 8:28am On Oct 23, 2017
DeYoungJoe:
When D israelites were dying of snake bite, God instructed Moses to make an image of snake, dat who ever looks at dat snake will no longer die of snake bite. So, u shud ask God why he ordered 4 image of snake instead of calling D name of D Lord.

But were the Catholics instructed to make images of Mary and Jesus by God as Moses was?

That was a symbolic commandment from God. Study your Bible more to see the link with That and the New testament.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (30) (Reply)

Your Thoughts On Mountain Of Fire And Miracles Church / Are Spiritual Husbands Real? / Akure Baby Who "Spoke 2 Weeks After Birth" (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.