Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,232 members, 7,836,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. (5271 Views)

7 Ways To Elongate The Life Of Your Car Battery / 13 Common Mistakes That Can Reduce The Life Span Of Your Car / See The Thousands Of Laptop Battery Cells Used In Tesla Car Battery Parks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by blackwood(m): 10:06am On May 10, 2020
Good day all, I have been using my present battery since March 2017 and it has suddenly started misbehaving.
I started the car this morning and it came on, though the cluster lights dimed before it started, I drove about 10km and stopped to buy fuel, after buy the battery could not start the car anymore, I had to jump start it to get it running.
The Mechanic at the fuel station said the battery is gone but I want to be sure if it's the battery or the alternator is not charging it properly. He (the mechanic) said if it's the alternator the car would go off again after the jump start and insisted it was my battery that's not holding charge because it's gone. He even went further to uplug the postive terminal of the battery while the car was still running and it remained on. He said if it was the alternator the car would go off of he uplug the battery.
Please experts in the house how long does a battery last and how can I confirm the alternator is charging the battery.
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by degamonn: 10:11am On May 10, 2020
I was told that the lifespan of Korean made batteries in Nigeria is about 3 years while those of Chinese is 1.5 yrs.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by blackwood(m): 10:14am On May 10, 2020
degamonn:
In was told that the lifespan of Korean made batteries in Nigeria is about 3 years while those of Chinese is 1.5 yrs.

So either Korean or Chinese my battery is due for a change then.

Thank you.
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by aieromon(m): 4:02pm On May 10, 2020
blackwood:
Good day all, I have been using my present battery since March 2017 and it has suddenly started misbehaving.
I started the car this morning and it came on, though the cluster lights dimed before it started, I drove about 10km and stopped to buy fuel, after buy the battery could not start the car anymore, I had to jump start it to get it running.
The Mechanic at the fuel station said the battery is gone but I want to be sure if it's the battery or the alternator is not charging it properly. He (the mechanic) said if it's the alternator the car would go off again after the jump start and insisted it was my battery that's not holding charge because it's gone. He even went further to uplug the postive terminal of the battery while the car was still running and it remained on. He said if it was the alternator the car would go off of he uplug the battery.
Please experts in the house how long does a battery last and how can I confirm the alternator is charging the battery.

Your battery is a horse to have stayed strong for 3 years. What brand is this?

By the way, it is bad practice to test the alternator by unplugging the positive terminal of the car battery while the engine is idling. Your ECU might not find it funny.

Get a replacement battery.
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by benefitzte: 8:35pm On May 11, 2020
aieromon:

Your battery is a horse to have stayed strong for 3 years. What brand is this?

By the way, it is bad practice to test the alternator by unplugging the positive terminal of the car battery while the engine is idling. Your ECU might not find it funny.

Get a replacement battery.

I have a battery I bought in July 2016 that still starts d car even if car sits for 3days without warming

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by blackwood(m): 8:41pm On May 11, 2020
benefitzte:

I have a battery I bought in July 2016 that still starts d car even if car sits for 3days without warming

Please what brand if battery is it.
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by NaijadrivaCars: 8:59pm On May 11, 2020
Determined by its cycles.
But most batteries in Nigeria na substandard.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by aieromon(m): 11:03pm On May 11, 2020
benefitzte:

Name of brand?
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by dgitrader(m): 4:10am On May 13, 2020
aieromon:

Name of brand?

Irrespective of the brand, painfully 99% of batteries in the market will never go up to two years, even on perfect charging systems.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by ogawisdom(m): 10:02am On May 13, 2020
My diamond battery did 2.5 yrs but now using everstart

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by luckaz(m): 7:39pm On May 13, 2020
So batteries can not last more than 3 years. Maintenance of cars is not easy sha
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by diportivo: 10:36pm On May 13, 2020
dgitrader:

Irrespective of the brand, painfully 99% of batteries in the market will never go up to two years, even on perfect charging systems.

after a year,just start preparing for another battery

it is what it is

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by blackwood(m): 12:02pm On May 16, 2020
luckaz:
So batteries can not last more than 3 years. Maintenance of cars is not easy sha

Bros e no easy at all to maintain car O!

Apart from battery,

You change Engine oil, oil filter, Brake pads,you get and rsnew your driving documents, drivers licence, vehicle licence road worthiness, insurance.

And sometime you hear some sounds while driving that will make ur heart skip a beat, No worry increase the radio volume and drive on.

14 Likes

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by tranxo(m): 8:44pm On May 16, 2020
I just changed mine last month. Got it June 2016. I have had good experience with batteries, minimum of 3 years. Except once I had a battery that lasted less than 6 months.

The trick is, if you have a reliable auto electrician, or a battery seller, ask for brands that came in newly into the market. These are often good because they aren't yet popular. Once they become popular, their fakes will flood the market.

There may be other tricks but I have been using this trick for decades now.

PS: I sold the dead one for N2000. Hope you guys are not throwing/dashing away yours.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by benefitzte: 3:02pm On May 17, 2020
blackwood:

Please what brand if battery is it.

Gold Forgo 75amp
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by benefitzte: 3:04pm On May 17, 2020
aieromon:

Name of brand?

Gold Forgo 75amp, just bought one again last week for a frnd but it's getting scares now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by blackwood(m): 5:39pm On May 17, 2020
benefitzte:

Gold Forgo 75amp, just bought one again last week for a frnd but it's getting scares now

How much did you get it for?
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by benefitzte: 7:09am On May 18, 2020
blackwood:

How much did you get it for?

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by Chrisodogwu(m): 7:55am On May 18, 2020
I remember saving a post by Naijauto.com telling non-technically about signs of a bad battery which are the Change of the Rhythm and tone of the engine, Swollen sides of the battery, and the unusual smell of the battery. You can read the full post at https://naijauto.com/car-maintenance/signs-of-a-dead-car-battery-484
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by EbukaIam: 7:58am On May 18, 2020
benefitzte:

That's cheap!!!
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by EbukaIam: 7:58am On May 18, 2020
Chrisodogwu:
I remember saving a post by Naijauto.com telling non-technically about signs of a bad battery which are the Change of the Rhythm and tone of the engine, Swollen sides of the battery, and the unusual smell of the battery. You can read the full post at https://naijauto.com/car-maintenance/signs-of-a-dead-car-battery-484
Very helpful tips!
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by NuclearGodzilla: 3:04pm On May 18, 2020
A good car battery should last 4-6 years, all things being equal.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by adebayo111: 4:15pm On May 18, 2020
NuclearGodzilla:
A good car battery should last 4-6 years, all things being equal.
which do you recommend
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by NuclearGodzilla: 4:20pm On May 18, 2020
adebayo111:
which do you recommend

I have none. Been a while I was in the market for car batteries.
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by bizzibodi(m): 5:36pm On May 18, 2020
My batt I bought 2016 is still working,even though I leave d car park for 2wks every month.
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by tranxo(m): 5:39pm On May 18, 2020
benefitzte:

Hmm.75amp?
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by blackwood(m): 5:58am On May 20, 2020
benefitzte:

That's really cheap O!
Shopping for a battery now and the cheapest I am getting is 23k for 12V, 75amps
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by tranxo(m): 7:28am On May 20, 2020
blackwood:

That's really cheap O!

Shopping for a battery now and the cheapest I am getting is 23k for 12V, 75amps
That's about it. Bargain well you can get 20k/21k. But I doubt that 17k oo. Unless no be 75amps
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:25am On May 21, 2020
blackwood:

Bros e no easy at all to maintain car O!

Apart from battery,

You change Engine oil, oil filter, Brake pads,you get and rsnew your driving documents, drivers licence, vehicle licence road worthiness, insurance.

And sometime you hear some sounds while driving that will make ur heart skip a beat, No worry increase the radio volume and drive on.

Lol, this is so me. Sometimes I just left my mechanic's place to fix something then I'm heading home and start hearing some sound from the wheels. I just increase my music and take my mind of it for the main time. You can't come and kill me.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by blackwood(m): 5:32pm On May 24, 2020
This link here answered all the questions I needed about batteries.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Whats-Wrong-With-My-Car-Five-Signs-Youre-Battery-Is-Dead
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by sheu01: 5:56pm On May 24, 2020
ogawisdom:
My diamond battery did 2.5 yrs but now using everstart

Pls how much did u buy ever start and where did u buy it? I think everstart is not China non Korea. Pls confirm to me
Re: What Is The Life Span Of A Car Battery. by ogawisdom(m): 6:37pm On May 24, 2020
sheu01:

Pls how much did u buy ever start and where did u buy it? I think everstart is not China non Korea. Pls confirm to me

Everstart is top Korean battery I bought it 24k @ Enugu. Though I have just used it for a month which is too early to recommend it

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need A Car To Take Do Taxi / Pictures Is This Nissan Car Good For #1,250,000. I Need Someone To Guide Me? / Spark Plugs!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.